Fire in the Sky - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fire in the Sky Reviews

½ October 29, 2017
I watched this as a young kid, and it fueled my nightmares for years. As an adult, I must admit the scene towards the end is still pretty disturbing, but not nearly as bad as I envisioned. The story is pretty good. Movie overall is meh. Really its only shining aspect is the alien torture scene.
½ October 15, 2017
I have been hearing how scary this movie was since it first came out, and being that aliens are the one and only movie thing that ever scares me I decided to trust that it was as scary as everyone said and stay away from it despite my major alien fascination. 20some years later after an internet rabbit hole of alien abduction stories bringing me to Travis Walton's detailed accounts and watching some interviews he gave both shortly after the incident and decades later I arrived at the conclusion that it was a three man hoax that involved no actual aliens. I'm glad I did the legwork before watching the movie or I might never sleep again.
The movie does a good job of building tension, and the climax straddles a fine line balancing between eerie and gross, but none of it seemed to actually match up with what he claims happened during his abduction. Nor did many if the events or characters on Earth seem to have much to do with their official story either. It's kinda like the movie's creators just wanted to slap a "true story" label on their alien movie so they borrowed some names and places and kept the rest purely fictional.
The ending felt disjointed. Not because of the time leap or how well and comparably quickly he recovered (2 years after the event he has a 2 year old son? I guess getting tortured by aliens makes you eager to knock boots when you find yourself back among humans), but because of the "they won't be back, I don't think they like me" line. Yeah, cool, your a badass and pissed off your alien captors, go earth!... except that didn't happen. Only thing he did to piss then off was kick one in the face after which they immediately made him their bitch, shoved him in a cocoon, clockwork oranged him, and shoved stuff in his ear and eye while he screamed a bunch. Hardly a shining victory for the human race.
Some of the actors did a nice job with what they had to work with. Some others played it a little over the top cheesy.
½ July 29, 2017
Three men try to plead their innocence surrounding the strange disappearance of their friend in the woods. They claim a UFO took him. They all take lie detector tests to prove they are telling the truth. We find Travis 5 days later naked and confused and he has flash backs of his ordeal. Decent scifi film
½ May 21, 2017
This film plays out almost like a theater production, with complete scenes that are well acted and set up with great cinematography. It seems the film struggled with what movie it wanted to be, instead of committing to being a movie about either an abduction or a murder cover-up. One scene in this movie makes the whole thing worth watching though, containing practical special effects that still look scary, discomforting, and believable today. If the movie contained more scenes on that level, and a more dramatic ending, it could have been an excellent film. There could be a case made about remaking this one (as long as they use practical effects).
½ March 10, 2017
D.B. Sweeney, the journeyman leading man, brings a great amount of humanity to a "true" story of an alien abduction. The rest of the cast are excellent too.
January 19, 2017
one of the best alien movies out there. alot of people don't like it but who cares. everyone's shit smells different I suppose and the same goes for movies
January 15, 2017
While the alien abduction scene is still fucking freaky and awesome, the rest of the movie really isn't that great. Forgot James Garner was in this.
October 29, 2016
Probably on of the most underrated alien abduction movies ever.
½ August 14, 2016
Based on some factual events, this film will take you on a ride through suspense and hopefulness. The end will give you chills and make you wonder.....What's really out there?
July 22, 2016
It's hard not to prejudice Fire in the Sky based on its non-fiction source material. But it's not as if queuing the movie adaptation of Travis Walton's alien-abduction account makes you a believer. And you'll at least be treated to a pair of superlative merits. One would be the film's money shot: a ridiculous, yet prevailingly horrifying, visualization of Walton's alleged time aboard the supposed spaceship, complete with slicing, probing, suffocating and supremely creepy ETs. The other is D.B. Sweeney's tender turn as a shell-shocked small-town boy fitting back in to the life he left behind while getting ritually tortured. As true-life narrative, it's preposterous. As an easy analog to myriad post-trauma "coming home" flicks, it resonates. And for fans of medium-budget curiosities that don't quite satisfy mainstream taste nor cult obsession, it's a hidden gem.
July 17, 2016
This is not, in any way, based on a true story. But it's still a damn good movie.
½ July 11, 2016
Compelling in both ways to the craftsmanship and the skepticism-surrounded story, with the result being unmatched between the two when just stating the summarized fact through examined social communications and some amount of decent effort, treating the story a blend of biopic through the facts with the interfering sci-fi genre. (B)

(Full review TBD)
June 12, 2016
A spectacular alien movie!
April 29, 2016
A really good biopic-sci fi drama movie. I really praise this movie: from the good acting, to the documentary style of the film, to the famous, among fans, abduction scene and the wonderful and menacing alien makeup-effects. Hopefully, mankind won't have to meet with these creatures. It's really entertaining and super well made and if Travis really did go through all that shit in real life, I'd say: "WOW, this is one fucked up world". Recommended !!
March 6, 2016
What could have been very silly isn't, and instead presents an intriguing case.
½ January 6, 2016
Although i'm not a fan of science fiction or anything got to do with Aliens etc. i have to give this movie a thumbs up because not only is it about aliens but they make it to be a good conspiracy.
December 19, 2015
Not very many people seem to like this movie, but when I first saw it in 1993 it creeped me out! There isn't a whole lot to the story, but I still have fun with this movie.
September 11, 2015
Authentically convincing with plenty of room for doubters to enjoy the show & story as well.
½ September 6, 2015
Fire in the Sky est un de ces films qui semble n'être que du build-up pour rien au final. Or, malgré tout le temps que le film de Robert Lieberman passe à montrer six bûcherons soupçonnés de meurtre de l'un d'entre eux alors que celui-ci aurait été enlevé par les extraterrestres, Fire in the Sky marche plutôt bien parce qu'il offre le big payoff qu'on attendait. Et ce payoff est absolument génial, sept minutes de pure terreur et d'incompréhension. La vision de Lieberman est originale et c'est alors extrêmement dommage qu'il ne soit pas aussi doué pour les scènes sur Terre. Robert Patrick, D.B. Sweeney et Peter Berg sont excellents, les autres beaucoup moins. Fire In the Sky est une sympathique surprise.
April 8, 2015
It really runs out of steam in the middle which is a shame as it was pretty good up till then.