Fletch Lives - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fletch Lives Reviews

½ May 17, 2016
Not well done but still funny
½ February 9, 2016
With Fletch (1985) being one of Chevy Chase's all time finest films, Fletch Lives sounded like it may offer a handful of laughs.

Though I enjoyed Fletch, I wasn't a person who necesarrily loved it for any particular reason. And since Fletch Lives is a follow-up to that film and a sequel in general, I had very low expectations. I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised with the quality of Fletch Lives.
The first gag in Fletch Lives comes from protagonist Irwin "Fletch" Fletcher uncovering another story under the disguise of a stereotypical motel maid with nothing more than the costume and wig. The humour is clearly intended to come from the fact that it isn't convincing, but it isn't funny either. This foreshadows an unfunny film which is a prophecy that remains unfulfilled when the film gets past its intro. There is a lot to suggest it will end up bad because after this happens, a conventional plot dynamic joins the story in which Fletch inherets a massive property and gets tangled in a murder investigation. Despite this, Michael Ritchie finds ways to work around the story and keep in the spirit of his work on many other comedies. Rather than focus on the story, Michael Ritchie puts the majority of focus onto ensuring that the humour in each gag is maximised to its full capabilities. He doesn't neglect the need for the story to function, he just lets it do its own thing while he specializes in what he is best at. Comedies are clearly the man's speciality, and though Fletch Lives is hardly as original as many of his other films, it still transcends expectations as a sequel delivers plenty of laughs.
The actual narrative in Fletch Lives has some rather edgy subject matter since the tale concerns murder, corruption and roadhouse bikers. Yet the premise hardly takes itself seriously, powering through these plot points with humourous spirit and little drama. To keep things enjoyable, Fletch Lives maintains a light nature about it, making for an easy viewing experience. This is largely because the main character takes his job seriously but never gives a second thought to the people he encounters along the way. There are jokes found in essentially every situation with the least entertaining moments coming from the obligatory yet extremely subtle addition of a romance story as a sideplot. The story never gets bogged down by moments of senseless narrative building or dramatic distractions. It is very clearly a comedy which intends to keep moving along at a reasonably fast pace, cutting through many of its familiar conventions with enough speed to ignore its thin story. There is no denying that the story in Fletch is not brilliant and doesn't carry the originality of its predecessor, nor as much of a focus on humourous investigative journalism since it has a larger scope of narrative and many more supporting characters. However, the narrative is far more loose this time around which allows the feature to spiral into a series of different comic sketches which offers Chevy Chase an opportunity to flex his comedic muscles in the context of multiple different disguises and situations with a loose narrative to tie it all together. Fletch Lives is largely a very different film to its predecessor due to a different kind of story and alternative structure, and this means that it doesn't attempt to copy its predecessor though it carries a similar sense of humour and the same protagonist over. Michael Ritchie once again brings an energetic love for the material to the character of Fletch and delivers a sequel which ultimately stands as an enjoyable comedy of its own right, as well as an effective sequel.
The most entertaining part of Fletch Lives is the fact that Chevy Chase is tenaciously confident in the role. In the favourite role of his career, Chevy Chase brings one of his finest characters back to Fletch Lives and brings him to life once more. The man has a clearly passionate love for the role and knows how to balance the serious nature of the character as an investigator with a love for the comic material, taking an approach which echoes the glory days of Leslie Nielsen with a much faster attitude. The material comes to Chevy chase almost instinctively and he fires it out with a swift and merciless pace which gives viewers a time to laugh but not enough time to question anything before another joke comes along. The man is a very charismatic comedian who brings a humourous mood to every situation in the film, bouncing off every other actor who challenges him. The entirety of Fletch Lives rests very heavily on the shoulders of Chevy Chase, and Fletch Lives proves that he is capable of supporting it. I must say I was surprised just how consistently funny Chevy Chase was, so Fletch Lives has given me the inclination to explore his other films even more so.
R. Lee Ermey is also a memorable cast member. Portraying the tele-evangalist Jimmy Lee Farnsworth, R. Lee Ermey is very much against type for once in Fletch Lives. Surely enough, he commands the role very nicely. Though often typecast in the role of authority figures, particularly of those within the military, R. Lee Ermey is offered the chance to work in a comedy film this time. He is able to carry over enough of his natural persona to deliver an intense voice articulation while he mimics a stereotypical media preacher with a strong dedication to the facade of a TV host with healing abilities. R. Lee Ermey's charisma is very rich, and it's a refreshing change of pace to witness him in a comedy.
Hal Holbrook also shares some strong interactions with Chevy Chase, as does Randall "Tex" Cobb.

Fletch Lives has a looser structure than its predecessor and a more conventional plot, but with Michael Ritchie's fast-paced directorial skill and Chevy Chase's endless comic spirit, it proves to be a surprisingly worthy sequel.
½ September 25, 2015
I rented the hell out of this film back in the day, and like most kids of the time, thought there was nothing better than a VHS film starring Chevy Chase. For nostalgia alone, it's still a good little watch, sure it's dated plenty, but who hasn't?!
½ September 20, 2015
I thought it was pretty funny myself. But I like Chevy Chases dumb humor.
May 24, 2015
i laughed a few times but it was missing the story of the first film, this was more comedy and setpieces for chase to dress up. would've liked to have another booked adapted but considering they took certain parts and swapped parts from the original book and movie, this is somewhat a failure
May 9, 2015
Hilarious but obviously weaker than the original.
April 18, 2015
Bits and parts entertain but most of this movie is a Zzzzzzzzzz.
½ April 9, 2015
The story is almost non existent, but its great to watch Chase let rip
February 9, 2015
Fletch dies, cinematically.
December 31, 2014
Definitely a sequel that does not live up to the original. However still a great effort by Chase
½ August 31, 2014
Very light fare. Harmless and mindless entertainment. Some if the gags are funny.
August 20, 2014
Decent movie. The sequel to Chase's underrated classic starts off funny with the same energy as the first, but becomes too theatrical for the character. While Chevy does his best to carry the film with a typically great performance, the film's script, story, and characters just don't do enough.
½ August 13, 2014
Funny enough. It does feel like some of the comedic set ups aren't taken advantage of fully, but Fletch Lives does bring the laughs pretty frequently. It's not a huge hilarious spectacle like we're used to now, but more of a one-liners paradise.
½ June 29, 2014
Not sure why the consensus is that this is much worse than the original, when it is just as good. Also don't know why Ryan Reynolds hasn't been part of a reboot as yet. We'll see if Sudeikis can hold a candle.
May 19, 2014
Great Fletch Sequel! Ages 11+
March 20, 2014
There are some people out there that find Fletch Lives to be not as good as its predecessor. For myself, I had a difficult time coming around to the original in the first place, but after having liked the original more upon further analysis and seeing its sequel, I found it to be equal, if not superior, to the original film. There were lots of elements that bothered me in the original, specifically Geena Davis' character. She's now been excised for the sequel, and the sequel itself focuses its story more in a different direction. It's sort of like the second episode of a TV show, which is a great. It's not just a retreading. There's some nice location work too, and the jokes are just as funny, if not funnier. I really liked the sequel a lot, as if you couldn't tell, and it's a shame that they didn't make another one.
February 21, 2014
again Chevy Chase at his best a must see
½ November 6, 2013
better than the first one in my opinion if you live chevy chase this is a must see
April 29, 2013
Equal to the original FLETCH. With Cleavon Little.