The Four Musketeers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Four Musketeers Reviews

½ July 24, 2016
The sequel to "The Three Musketeers" was shot at the same time, features all the same cast, and immediately follows the story-line. It's equally as entertaining as its predecessor and well worth watching!
February 28, 2016
Some moments are camp and silly, others are quite poignant, and it doesn't quite find the balance between the two. A few handy performances, Oliver Reed is particularly fantastic, but it also contains some of the worst sword-fight scenes on film. Still, a decent Musketeer addition.
Resonant Line: "D'Artagnan: [of Milady] I love her with my head. But my Constance, snatched from my side, I love with my heart.
Athos: You have a conveniently discriminating anatomy."
December 29, 2015
During the Anglo-French War (1627-29), which involved supression of the Protestant rebels of La Rochelle, Cardinal Richelieu (Charlton Heston) continues the machinations he began in The Three Musketeers by ordering the Count de Rochefort (Christopher Lee) to kidnap Constance Bonancieux (Raquel Welch), dressmaker to the Queen of France. The evil Milady de Winter (Faye Dunaway), who wants revenge on junior musketeer d'Artagnan (Michael York), seduces him to keep him occupied. He soon discovers her true nature, however, and also that she was once married to his fellow musketeer Athos (Oliver Reed), who had supposedly killed her after discovering that she was a branded criminal. The trio of musketeers - Athos, Porthos (Frank Finlay), and Aramis (Richard Chamberlain) - rescue Constance from imprisonment in Rochefort's abode of Saint Cloud and take her to safety in the convent of Armentieres. De Winter sends d'Artagnan poisoned wine and a note intended to trick him into thinking that the trio have been imprisoned for drunkenness. On his way to bail them out, d'Artagnan is attacked by Rochefort and his men. The trio join the fight, and Rochefort flees. One of his men is captured and tortured for information, revealing that Richelieu is going to the Dovecote Inn near La Rochelle, but then drinks the poisoned wine and dies, revealing de Winter's trap. The trio then proceed to the inn where they spy on Richelieu. The Cardinal orders de Winter to threaten the Duke of Buckingham with exposure of his affair with the Queen, to discourage him from sending a relief force to aid the rebels; she is to kill the Duke if he does not comply. In return, de Winter asks for a warrant, so she can kill d'Artagnan and Constance. Richelieu reluctantly signs one, wording it in a way that leaves no evidence against himself...

I loved this movie and the first one when I was a kid and I have only fond memories of it. I still see Richard Lesterīs films as the best adaptation of Alexandre Dumas novel. I reckon it has that perfect blend of costume drama, lavish sets, action, intrigues, romance, adventure, and comedy captured from the book. But, I must say that I had forgotten that the humour was so very much slap stick, almost a bit too much in my book. Michael York gives life to the young, and at first naive D'Artagnan, while Chamberlain and Finlay adds weight, but the unforgettable one is without no doubt the always intense, mysterious and full on Oliver Reed. He is a tour de force in this one, and from what I have red all the stuntmen were scared shitless do duel with him as he went at it like a crazy man and he had not real idea how he was wielding his sword. The ensemble cast sports so many good names such as Lee, Dunaway, Heston, Welch etc and all puts in performances that sticks and stays. And I still remember the oh so beautiful Nicole Calfan who plays Maid Kitty..."The Three Musketeers" constitutes only the first half of the novel and movie, and the filmmakers decided to end the picture at this point, releasing a sequel, "The Four Musketeers", a year later, which would cover the remainder of the story. While it was a wise decision, no one had informed the cast that they were, in fact, making two movies, and not one, at the time of filming, and the stars quickly filed suit against the Salkinds. After a brief but highly publicized court case, the cast were compensated, and the second film was released. As a result of the producers splitting the film into two parts, Screen Actors' Guild contracts now often feature what is called a "Salkind Clause," which requires producers to state up front how many films are being shot, and that the actors involved must be paid for each. The latter clause applies even, or even especially, when producers make that decision during or after production.
½ June 22, 2015
playing this often told Dumas' classic for laughs from the Beatles' director richard lestor
October 18, 2014
Part two of the best ever Three Musketeers film adaptation (well, my favourite, anyway). The casting is all pretty much spot-on, apart perhaps from Frank Finlay, who plays the role Porthos superbly, but, as the smallest of the four musketeer actors, looks nothing like him (Porthos should look more like Oliver Platt or Gerard Depardieu), regardless of the obvious padding. The humorous tone, full of silly asides and ridiculous but authentic-looking activities, means the movie never stops being fun, even during lulls between action scenes (which are all unique, thrilling and hugely entertaining), but it also never undermines the suspense or intrigue, which is, thankfully, intact from the book. The characters are all intact as well, except maybe Constance, who has been turned into a complete klutz, to comic effect, and is well played by Welch. The movie looks really good too, apart from some dodgy day-for-night stuff. Altogether great fun, and, just as importantly, faithful to its source, this movie rollicks like a mofo.
February 15, 2014
Sequel to 1973 (or 74?)'s The Three Musketeers, this (IMO0 is perrhaps the better of the two, and picks up almost directly where the last left off.

This is the one where we find out the back-story of MiLady De Winter and her connection with one of the Musketeers in particular (Athos, played by Oliver Reed), and is the one that also shockingly includes the death of D'Artagnan's mistress at her hands, before her own beheading.

In short, this is still the best of all The Three/Four Musketeers films.
December 11, 2013
This film needs to be watched back to back with 'The Three Musketeers' as they were both shot at the same time and then the film was split in two so that the producers could get more money for two features. Despite this both films still work as separate stories that continue the character arcs and lead to a dramatic conclusion. This film ends up being slightly darker which is hardly surprising as it was subtitled 'The Revenge of Milady'. To that end Dunaway is given much more to do here as she is ravishing as the villainess of the piece. Unlike other screen incarnations of the role she is evil through and seems to revel in this. Reed also gets to flex his acting muscles this time with Athos' backstory coming to the fore and in the scenes where he is reminded of his past you are reminded of what an amazing actor Reed was when he put the effort in. The film follows the book pretty faithfully and don't expect happy ending for everyone by the end. However DO expect excellent swordplay (even better than the first film), great comic moments, intense drama and brilliant performances from an amazing ensemble. I'd be interested to see if they ever do a 'Directors Cut' of the two films and actually combine them to produce the epic film this story deserves. In the meantime enjoy a great sequel.
½ October 18, 2013
Loved both Lester's Musketeer movies. Very funny, and full of adventure.
October 2, 2013
I so love this film & The Three Musketeers with Oliver Reed.
August 7, 2013
a 70s classic follows on from the 1st film so well
April 24, 2013
Probably the best Three Musk...oh wait, this is the same film again...he split the film in two. So this is probably the best Three Musketeers film since errr...the previous film which was the same film but chopped in half, yeah, oh and now its called 'The Four Musketeers', clever little twist there heh.

So yes here we are again following on from where the last film left off. Of course the fact that this is essentially the same film just chopped in half everything is exactly perfect continuity wise. But that's not exactly a big deal cos its the same film people!! but I guess if you didn't know that then it would come across amazingly well.

The film covers the second half of the famous novel and one could say the more exciting half. Not that the first wasn't brilliant, its just in this film there is even more epic awesomeness!. 'd'Artagnan' is now a Musketeer so the foursome are high on confidence and positively brewing over with arrogance and cockiness.

I can't really go into the visuals etc...once again as this is the same film so naturally it all looks terrific as before. We still have the same tour de force of stunts and swashbuckling action, the same silly oafish humour and the same gorgeous location work. The main thing that stands out here is the impressive battle sequences which far outnumber the previous chapter.

A sequence where all four Musketeers take a bet to have breakfast within the ruins of a Bastion is a perfect example of this whole production. Ridiculously silly notion which incorporates some ridiculous visual gags that are so predictable yet highly amusing. To see poor old Roy Kinnear's character trying to serve his Musketeers superiors whilst under fire will guarantee a smile on your face. All the while our four heroes calmly drink wine and let off a shot or two pipping the odd enemy.

There is another fantastic clash of swords on a frozen lake with the three older Musketeers coming to the rescue of 'd'Artagnan', Christopher Lee in all his dastardly evilness of course. Then as we approach the finale we are given one set piece after another as the Musketeers battle through 'Rochefort's' men building up to the weary final battle between 'd'Artagnan' and 'Rochefort' himself. The whole last half of this film really is a sight to behold, the action never lets up yet you never see anything brutal, every scene looks tremendous and the humour is never lost. Bit of emotion though, but not too much, nothing to gush over.

The cast are still on belting form at every turn, there really is no bad casting or performances from anyone. Both films are supposedly quite accurate to the original novels by Dumas, both films are superb in every detail despite being cut in two, this half easily being the more fun in my opinion. But hell, there really is nothing bad I can say about this final chapter or the previous one. Its more of the same but that's just what you'd want no?.

Lester achieves greatness here with these films, its such a shame they don't get much recognition anymore. Don't watch this film without seeing the first chapter as it very possibly might not make any sense hehe but don't hold that against the film, that's up to you. Mr Lester, we salute you (even though you should have backed Donner for 'Sups 2' instead of virtually remaking the whole thing...but I digress).
February 7, 2013
The original plan was to have had Richard Lester's The Three Musketeers (1973) as a huge 4 hour epic, but producer Alexander Salkind thought they'd make more money if they split the film into two. A good idea, but he didn't tell the cast, who sued him and won. It's a slower film than the first one, but and it was probably a good idea to split it, as the attention span wouldn't have coped with this. With d'Artagnan (Michael York) now a fully ordained Musketeer along with Athos (Oliver Reed), Porthos (Frank Finlay), and Aramis (Richard Chamberlain), France can rejoice that the Musketeers prevented a royal embarrassment. However, there's religious wars going on between the Catholics and Protestants, so Cardinal Richelieu (Charlton Heston) orders Count de Rochefort (Christopher Lee) to kidnap Constance Bonacieux (Raquel Welch), who is d'Artagnan's love and the go-between of Queen Anne (Geraldine Chaplin), plus Milady de Winter (Faye Dunaway) plans an elaborate revenge on the Musketeers using d'Artagnan as a pawn in her game. It's an entertaining conclusion to the two films, this one is more action orientated, but there's enough of Lester's trademark humour to keep it going. Lester would reunite with screenwriter George MacDonald Fraser for more heroics with Royal Flash (1975).
½ January 23, 2013
An improvement on its predecessor in every conceivable way. Nearly every major character from The Three Musketeers is fleshed out so that they actually seem like characters rather than caricatures, especially Athos and Milady. The musketeers seemed to be absent for much of the previous installment, but here they are appropriately centre stage. The story is much more engaging and the humour is better suited to the tone of the film and is dosed out much more sparingly than it is in the previous film, and thus never swamps the plot. The action scenes are much more excitingly staged and choreographed, with special mention going to the final duel between D'Artagnan and Rochefort in which the former's rage is made evident by his furious yet clumsy attacks. The tone is darker and suits the material much better as a result; the film sensibly ignores much of the continuity from the first film in order to establish, amongst other things, the existence of a past relationship between Athos and Milady, which is enacted with a surprising degree of depth and acted superbly by Faye Dunaway and Oliver Reed. Charlton Heston also shines as Richelieu in a small but vital role. The plot is still a little weak in places, especially at the beginning , but the overall result is a much more stirring and entertaining film.
December 7, 2012
Yeah these movies do Dumas's novels justice, a good follow up to its predesessor.
October 12, 2012
Greater in number...inferior in quality.
½ July 24, 2012
definitely it's a masterpiece. better than most of the adoption of Dumas's book.
July 2, 2012
Perhaps even better than Three Musketeers, together the two movies make for one of the most pleasant movie experiences one could have. My favorite Richard Lester films, and he made some great ones. Outside the love for Hard Day's Night he's criminally under-appreciated. .
½ May 21, 2012
I've got to say, this sequel is much darker than it's original as characters significant to the main characters die from left to right. However, despite this, its atmosphere was still rather child-like and had me favoring for the movie to end abruptly due to this.
May 8, 2012
In my opinion, The Four Musketeers is better than The three Musketeers because it kind of tells more about the musketeers and what their goal was.
½ May 8, 2012
It was good. Darker than the other but still good and funny.