Foxy Brown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Foxy Brown Reviews

October 5, 2016
It's no Coffy, but it's still a lot of fun, and Grier's performance alone makes it worthwhile viewing.
May 2, 2016
Ok 70's action flick
March 25, 2016
My first foray into the shortlived 'Blaxploitation' genre of films that saw numerous releases featuring African Americans from 1970 - 75.
Foxy Brown is one of the best examples of the genre reaching cult status amongst such filmmakers as Quentin Tarantino who copied elements of it in his own film Jackie Brown years later.
The film stars Pam Grier as Foxy Brown who looks like the modern day footballer Marounne Fallaini with her Jackson 5 style hairstyle and garish seventies fashion sense.
Brown is a streetwise yet attractive character who exerts revenge on a gang of drug dealers who shoot her boyfriend.
The film was originally intended as a sequel to the successful Blaxploitation film Coffy but at the studio request was made a standalone film at the last minute.
I found this film immensely entertaining and am surprised I had never seen or heard of it before. Recommended.
January 23, 2016
Just gave this a re-watch, and I must say yet again, what a great film this is! Grier is gorgeous and kicks much ass, and I love Sid Haig in his bit part as a pilot towards the end of the film.

Well worth tracking down, as you get to source about a half dozen sound bites you've heard in dozens of songs over the years, all from a single film.

Recommended.
January 15, 2016
Avenging angel gains brutal retribution against the drug ring who killed her agent boyfriend. Pam Grier in dominant form; the undisputed queen of the blaxploitation genre. Very similar to Grier's previous film COFFY.
October 30, 2015
Okay...but Coffy was better.

A woman's boyfriend is murdered by a drug gang. She, Foxy Brown (played by Pam Grier), then sets out to avenge his death.

Interesting and action-packed but, if you've already seen Coffy, the previous Jack Hill-Pam Grier collaboration (Hill being the writer and director), it seems largely second-hand. Very similar main plot to Coffy, with less plausible twists and escapes. Characters are less well developed and there's less engagement.

It all just feels like Coffy Lite.

However, still entertaining and Pam Grier, as before, puts in a great performance in the lead role.
½ October 12, 2015
Slick blaxploitation film, with Pam Grier on form.
September 27, 2015
Silly fun blaxploitation pic, Pam Grier is excellent in the title role, sure this is riddled with more plot holes than bullet holes in a dealers corpse but see it for what it is, a fun bit of grindhouse with a groovy soundtrack.
March 25, 2015
"Foxy Brown" es una divertida cinta de "Blaxploitation" acerca de una mujer que busca venganza por la muerte de su novio, un informante de la policía. Diálogos ocurrentes, situaciones violentas y graciosas y mucho sexo gratuito. ¿Qué más se puede pedir?
½ March 16, 2015
Ok movie, that is great for one thing and one thing only, Pam Grier. You gotta love Pam Grier. Nuff Said.
February 18, 2015
I think this is almost my first blaxploitation film and it's very cool. I'll be checking out more of these, that's for sure.
January 29, 2015
Re-watch. Best watched back to back with Coffy. One ridiculous plot. Pam again is stunning and Sid Haig is the balls. That ending nearly killed me as well.
January 16, 2015
Review In A Nutshell:

What filmmakers would go through to capture the minds of a particular audience. Foxy Brown is a prominent entry into the exploitation films that explores African-American trends and appeals and utilise them in cinematic storytelling, either for financial profit or artistic experimentation; this type of exploitation in cinema is regarded as "Blaxploitation", I know the name sounds ridiculous. As I have said earlier, these type of films are catered to a particular audience, therefore budget would be limited as there would be higher risk for the producer if large amounts of money is spent, hence almost all aspects of production is notches lower than what is expected from the large-studio productions of that similar era.

Foxy Brown starts off with mystery and intrigue, a man (Link) walking down the street being pursued by loan-shark gangsters. Out of panic, he goes into fight or flight mode, deciding to evade them through the help of her sister (Foxy Brown) to pick him up, while he keeps the gangsters distant by being in close proximity with police officers. Eventually he succeeds in getting away, and from here on, details of his situation begin to emerge. Foxy Brown spends its first 40 minutes establishing its characters and the world they live in, and the film achieves this wonderfully, keeping me engaged with understanding the conditions of their society, how some would go far in order to maintain peace and justice within their neighbourhood. It was themes that made the film feel more intelligent than what it advertises itself out to be.

Then the plot's primary complication sets into motion, shifting its tone to a more action/revenge-orientated adventure; which rarely spends any time in building its characters. It is quite obvious that by catering to its primary target audience, a sense of good and evil is established and it does so in a shallow way; on making the Caucasians the villains and the African-Americans the heroes. I would have loved it if the film made both sides three-dimensional characters, instead of being just simply defined by the colour of their skin. I also felt the film's conclusion lacked that "wow" factor, building up into a climax that achieves neither a sense of thrill or shock.

Foxy Brown features the soul/funk music that was dominant in the airwaves of the 1970s; a genre that was built and highly praised by the African-American community. My personal opinion on the genre has always been positive, creating that auditory flavour that very few musicians could achieve. It is a genre that is defined firmly by its particular sound, something that takes influences from its ancestors but never coming off as a rip-off or uninspired. So hearing it in Foxy Brown gave the film that unique flavour, making it feel different from the blockbuster films of its time.

In regards to the acting performances, Pam Grier as Foxy Brown was lacklustre, being the worst aspect of the film's cast; coming off as not sassy enough during dominating scenes or not dramatic enough when the heart of the character wants to be exposed. The rest of the cast though were fitting in their parts, even if they weren't exactly "moving".

I know I am being highly-nitpicky with a film that sets its bar really low, but when compared to every other film in the history of cinema and how much this film has personally impressed me, it is a bit pale. I guess I had so much expectation given that I adored Tarantino's Jackie Brown, but I think it all really depends on the person handling the material.
½ January 12, 2015
"Death is too easy for you, bitch. I want you to suffer." And with such no-nonsense dialogue, chic costumes, Willie Hutch's incredible score, and a stunning colour pallet (Brick Marquard was the cinematographer), 'Foxy Brown' enters the blaxploitation hall of fame as a testament to its era and serves as an important contribution to American cinema.

Initially intended as a sequel to 1973's 'Coffy', writer/director Jack Hill and genre icon Pam Grier reunite here for what is essentially the same premise. As the epitome of beauty, strength and independence, Grier seeks revenge and takes on a drug and prostitution syndicate lead by an over-the-top Kathryn Loder and her lover Peter Brown, who delivers a performance that's stronger than what the genre usually allows. Antonio Fargas is also quite delightful as Foxy's heroine-addicted brother.

Engaging from the get-go and littered with some brilliantly choreographed action sequences (the lesbian bar fight is particular highlight as is Foxy's revenge on her rapist and captors), the political and social messages are always at the surface here. Yes, 'Foxy Brown' is by no means a perfect film, but there's no denying that it's always entertaining.
November 26, 2014
A must see to understand the Afro-american culture - nearly as good as Shaft.
½ May 6, 2014
This was supposed to be a sequel to Coffy. Then they changed the name of the character to Foxy Brown. These movies came out in the 1970's and used as many under-employed black actors and actresses as they could. Most of them had worked only in television before. The stories were directed at black audiences. The really bad guys were all white and the good guys were all black. The essence of the movie is that Pam Grier plays a woman whose boy friend is an undercover Federal Drug Agent but whose brother is a drug dealer who owes the drug supplier a large sum of money. The drug agent undergoes plastic surgery to escape from the drug dealer's hit men. Foxy Brown's brother figures it out and sets him up to pay off his drug debt. After the Drug Agent is killed, Foxy confronts her brother and forces him to tell her who his contact is. It's a Madame whose boyfriend smuggles Heroin from Mexico. They say it's Mexican Heroin but there are no Mexicans in the movie. Foxy then passes herself off as a call girl and is hired by the Madame. After she exposes a judge she is supposed to entertain in exchange for a light sentence for some drug dealers. After the judge passed a stiff sentence the drug smugglers kidnap Foxy and turn her over to some hillbilly drug cookers. After they rape her she escapes and blows up the drug lab. She then meets with some Black Panther types who are anti-drug and somehow they know who the pilot is whose going to fly in the next drug shipment. She meets the pilot in a bar and convinces him to take her with him. Somehow they know where the drug handoff is going to take palace. The Panther type vigilantes raid the site and Foxy Brown crashes the plane into the shed were all the bad guys are. They take the Madame's boyfriend and it is implied that they mutilate him. Foxy Brown takes the boyfriend's parts to the Madame in a mason jar. She hides a gun in her Afro hairdo and uses it to shoot the body guards. She shoots the Madame in the arm but let's her live. As an excuse to see a naked Pam Grier the movie is OK, but it's pretty lame. If you watch the TV shows Battlestar Galactica, Starsky and Hutch, Charlie's Angels, and Laredo you will see some of the actors who are in this movie.
December 30, 2013
As a fan of Blaxploitation films, this one is a classic. In a sort of sequel of Coffy, also staring Grier. Grier goes out for revenge against a drug empire who assaulted and killed her boyfriend. You don't really come to these movies for the stories, but for the fun of it all, the cheesy dialogue, the bad acting and film making techniques, and this film does not disappoint. Grier is a bad ass, sexy vigilante out for justice. Not as good as Coffy, but still good. One to watch on a late night.
December 19, 2013
1972's The Godfather Is My Fourth Favorite Film.
December 6, 2013
Vigilante-justice film flickers between camp and chauvinism, slam-bang action and sexist idiocy. Best enjoyed with your tongue firmly in cheek and your political correctness gene locked out in the backyard.
November 14, 2013
This was a black film for black audiences so who cares what white folk ( the majority of the commentators here ) care or think ?