Foxy Brown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Foxy Brown Reviews

½ July 6, 2017
Sexy, stylish and pleasing.
A great little gem of a film
June 18, 2017
You can just ignore the critics rating on this one, it's one of the finest Blaxploitation movies I've ever seen. Actually I would say it's my favorite and my personal favorite Jack Hill film. Jack Hill is the man responsible for discovering Pam Grier, and he's also the director responsible for making such films as Coffy, Switchblade Sisters, Swinging Cheerleaders, The Big Doll House, & The Big Bird Cage. Now most fans seem to prefer Coffy to Foxy Brown, I can see why though... Coffy is a litte more violent and you get to see more flesh of Pam Grier. I think Foxy Brown just works better for me, it seems more solid in the acting department. I also like story a little bit more I guess, it's nothing special but it really doesn't need to be.

I will point out one thing, Seth Rogen is apparently a fan of this film because the intro to Foxy Brown and Superbad are so identical. The Foxy Brown intro theme song even utters the words superbad, can't be any more ovious than that, can it? The plot of Foxy Brown is simple, it's your typical revenge movie grindhouse style. Brown is out to avenge her boyfriend's (a narcotics investigator) death that was knocked off by a savage crime ring. Just let it be known don't ever pissed off Pam Grier because if your a man, she will take your manhood, literally. If you've seen True Romance, Pulp Fiction, or Inglourious Basterds, you've noticed gunshots to the balls. Tarantino gets that from Pam Grier and Jack Hill.

Yes, Foxy Brown is ruthless and wild but if you've seen any of Jack Hill's work, you wouldn't expect anything less. And if you're wondering, Foxy Brown the rapper is named after Pam Grier in this film. Grier gave her permission to use the name but there will only be one Foxy Brown to me, Pam Grier can never be duplicated, ever. So if your looking for a real taste of 70's Blaxploitation, make sure get this movie, and don't forget Coffy as well. I highly recommend Foxy Brown for any fan of Grier, Hill, or Blaxploitation, I also think this be great starter for anyone new to the genre. Movies wouldn't be what they are today if it weren't for films like Foxy Brown. The types of movies pushed boundaries and influenced filmmakers and musicians alike.
June 10, 2017
A pretty much perfect exploitation film. There's so many different kinds of fun on display here, it's impossible not to like. And oh man, the one liners...
½ March 16, 2017
A 70's required viewing
½ December 15, 2016
From 1974, which was toward the end of what might be called the golden age and emergence of blaxploitation cinema, Foxy Brown had a white crew and mostly black cast. Written and directed by Jack Hill who apprenticed with Roger Corman and made his film career primarily with b-movies. Foxy Brown starts with a great, funky, psychedelic, James Bond riff of opening credits. Foxy's boyfriend Michael works undercover for the cops. A black man in this genre working with law enforcement and the cops not being the bad guys is a surprise. Michael assumes a new identity after facial reconstruction surgery and yet still tragically gets killed at his peak. Foxy, played with just the right sassy attitude by Pam Grier, goes on a mission of revenge against the white criminals pushing the drug and sex trade in her neighborhood. She goes undercover as a one woman army, eventually forming an alliance with a Panther-like group, to humiliate and topple the peddlers of vice keeping black people down. She also has to play the responsible big sister to her brother Link (Antonio Fargas) who is mixed up with gambling and drugs. Here's a bit of dialog between Foxy and Link that stands out:
Link Brown: "Foxy, I'm a black man, and I don't know how to sing, and I don't know how to dance, and I don't know how to preach to no congregation. I'm too small to be a football hero, and too ugly to be elected mayor. But I watch TV and see all these folks and the nice homes they live in and all them fancy cars they drive, I just get so full of ambition. Now you tell me what I'm supposed to do with all this ambition?"
Foxy Brown: "I don't know, Link, I just don't want to see you end up in jail, or gunned down in the streets somewhere."
Ta-Nehisi Coates' Between the World and Me has been on my reading list for some time. I have a basic understanding of the concepts in this book because my liberal church discussed it in relation to the importance of the Black Lives Matter movement. I know that Coates takes a hard look at the theme of the American Dream as portrayed in the mass media, especially fabricated TV sitcoms, and how this suburban "Dream" is an exclusionary fantasy of white privilege. Back in 1974 this is exactly what Link is talking about. Coates' ideas were already understood by part of the population and are completely ignored to this day by another part of the population. In this action film Foxy Brown uses sex appeal and well hidden weapons to bring down the two people most responsible for ordering the hit on her boyfriend, Elias (Peter Brown) and Miss Katherine (Kathryn Loder). Foxy is easy to root for and the groovy fashions are such fun.
October 5, 2016
It's no Coffy, but it's still a lot of fun, and Grier's performance alone makes it worthwhile viewing.
May 2, 2016
Ok 70's action flick
March 25, 2016
My first foray into the shortlived 'Blaxploitation' genre of films that saw numerous releases featuring African Americans from 1970 - 75.
Foxy Brown is one of the best examples of the genre reaching cult status amongst such filmmakers as Quentin Tarantino who copied elements of it in his own film Jackie Brown years later.
The film stars Pam Grier as Foxy Brown who looks like the modern day footballer Marounne Fallaini with her Jackson 5 style hairstyle and garish seventies fashion sense.
Brown is a streetwise yet attractive character who exerts revenge on a gang of drug dealers who shoot her boyfriend.
The film was originally intended as a sequel to the successful Blaxploitation film Coffy but at the studio request was made a standalone film at the last minute.
I found this film immensely entertaining and am surprised I had never seen or heard of it before. Recommended.
January 23, 2016
Just gave this a re-watch, and I must say yet again, what a great film this is! Grier is gorgeous and kicks much ass, and I love Sid Haig in his bit part as a pilot towards the end of the film.

Well worth tracking down, as you get to source about a half dozen sound bites you've heard in dozens of songs over the years, all from a single film.

Recommended.
January 15, 2016
Avenging angel gains brutal retribution against the drug ring who killed her agent boyfriend. Pam Grier in dominant form; the undisputed queen of the blaxploitation genre. Very similar to Grier's previous film COFFY.
October 30, 2015
Okay...but Coffy was better.

A woman's boyfriend is murdered by a drug gang. She, Foxy Brown (played by Pam Grier), then sets out to avenge his death.

Interesting and action-packed but, if you've already seen Coffy, the previous Jack Hill-Pam Grier collaboration (Hill being the writer and director), it seems largely second-hand. Very similar main plot to Coffy, with less plausible twists and escapes. Characters are less well developed and there's less engagement.

It all just feels like Coffy Lite.

However, still entertaining and Pam Grier, as before, puts in a great performance in the lead role.
½ October 12, 2015
Slick blaxploitation film, with Pam Grier on form.
September 27, 2015
Silly fun blaxploitation pic, Pam Grier is excellent in the title role, sure this is riddled with more plot holes than bullet holes in a dealers corpse but see it for what it is, a fun bit of grindhouse with a groovy soundtrack.
March 25, 2015
"Foxy Brown" es una divertida cinta de "Blaxploitation" acerca de una mujer que busca venganza por la muerte de su novio, un informante de la policía. Diálogos ocurrentes, situaciones violentas y graciosas y mucho sexo gratuito. ¿Qué más se puede pedir?
½ March 16, 2015
Ok movie, that is great for one thing and one thing only, Pam Grier. You gotta love Pam Grier. Nuff Said.
February 18, 2015
I think this is almost my first blaxploitation film and it's very cool. I'll be checking out more of these, that's for sure.
January 29, 2015
Re-watch. Best watched back to back with Coffy. One ridiculous plot. Pam again is stunning and Sid Haig is the balls. That ending nearly killed me as well.
January 16, 2015
Review In A Nutshell:

What filmmakers would go through to capture the minds of a particular audience. Foxy Brown is a prominent entry into the exploitation films that explores African-American trends and appeals and utilise them in cinematic storytelling, either for financial profit or artistic experimentation; this type of exploitation in cinema is regarded as "Blaxploitation", I know the name sounds ridiculous. As I have said earlier, these type of films are catered to a particular audience, therefore budget would be limited as there would be higher risk for the producer if large amounts of money is spent, hence almost all aspects of production is notches lower than what is expected from the large-studio productions of that similar era.

Foxy Brown starts off with mystery and intrigue, a man (Link) walking down the street being pursued by loan-shark gangsters. Out of panic, he goes into fight or flight mode, deciding to evade them through the help of her sister (Foxy Brown) to pick him up, while he keeps the gangsters distant by being in close proximity with police officers. Eventually he succeeds in getting away, and from here on, details of his situation begin to emerge. Foxy Brown spends its first 40 minutes establishing its characters and the world they live in, and the film achieves this wonderfully, keeping me engaged with understanding the conditions of their society, how some would go far in order to maintain peace and justice within their neighbourhood. It was themes that made the film feel more intelligent than what it advertises itself out to be.

Then the plot's primary complication sets into motion, shifting its tone to a more action/revenge-orientated adventure; which rarely spends any time in building its characters. It is quite obvious that by catering to its primary target audience, a sense of good and evil is established and it does so in a shallow way; on making the Caucasians the villains and the African-Americans the heroes. I would have loved it if the film made both sides three-dimensional characters, instead of being just simply defined by the colour of their skin. I also felt the film's conclusion lacked that "wow" factor, building up into a climax that achieves neither a sense of thrill or shock.

Foxy Brown features the soul/funk music that was dominant in the airwaves of the 1970s; a genre that was built and highly praised by the African-American community. My personal opinion on the genre has always been positive, creating that auditory flavour that very few musicians could achieve. It is a genre that is defined firmly by its particular sound, something that takes influences from its ancestors but never coming off as a rip-off or uninspired. So hearing it in Foxy Brown gave the film that unique flavour, making it feel different from the blockbuster films of its time.

In regards to the acting performances, Pam Grier as Foxy Brown was lacklustre, being the worst aspect of the film's cast; coming off as not sassy enough during dominating scenes or not dramatic enough when the heart of the character wants to be exposed. The rest of the cast though were fitting in their parts, even if they weren't exactly "moving".

I know I am being highly-nitpicky with a film that sets its bar really low, but when compared to every other film in the history of cinema and how much this film has personally impressed me, it is a bit pale. I guess I had so much expectation given that I adored Tarantino's Jackie Brown, but I think it all really depends on the person handling the material.
½ January 12, 2015
"Death is too easy for you, bitch. I want you to suffer." And with such no-nonsense dialogue, chic costumes, Willie Hutch's incredible score, and a stunning colour pallet (Brick Marquard was the cinematographer), 'Foxy Brown' enters the blaxploitation hall of fame as a testament to its era and serves as an important contribution to American cinema.

Initially intended as a sequel to 1973's 'Coffy', writer/director Jack Hill and genre icon Pam Grier reunite here for what is essentially the same premise. As the epitome of beauty, strength and independence, Grier seeks revenge and takes on a drug and prostitution syndicate lead by an over-the-top Kathryn Loder and her lover Peter Brown, who delivers a performance that's stronger than what the genre usually allows. Antonio Fargas is also quite delightful as Foxy's heroine-addicted brother.

Engaging from the get-go and littered with some brilliantly choreographed action sequences (the lesbian bar fight is particular highlight as is Foxy's revenge on her rapist and captors), the political and social messages are always at the surface here. Yes, 'Foxy Brown' is by no means a perfect film, but there's no denying that it's always entertaining.
November 26, 2014
A must see to understand the Afro-american culture - nearly as good as Shaft.