From Dusk Till Dawn Reviews

• Aug 08, 2019

This is a fun film, one of my faves. TV channels tend to show around Halloween. Harvey Keitel is the best dad, and the chick who plays his daughter, who was also in Natural Born Killers, is excellent as well. A few really crazy scenes in this film make this a holiday classic :-) George Clooney cannot act, as usual (ha! ha!) but he's a pretty face. Get by that and enjoy Quentin Tarantino as his bro. Priceless!!!!!

• Aug 01, 2019

Most vampire movies are appalling and excessive. From Dusk Till Dawn only wants to be a heist/ vampire beat down flick. And it actually succeeds and is pretty cool.

• Aug 01, 2019

Incredibly fun genre mash-up from director Robert Rodriguez ("Desperado" "The Faculty" "Spy Kids") and screenwriter Quentin Tarantino ("Pulp Fiction" "Kill Bill" "Hateful Eight"). In what is best described as Reservoir Dogs vs. Mexican Vampires, a pair of low-life criminals, The Gecko Brothers, handsome leader George Clooney and creepy sex offender little brother Tarantino, are on the lamb and headed for Mexico when they kidnap Harvey Keitel and family, Juliette Lewis and her brother, to help them sneak across the border in their RV. One thing that makes this film so fun is that the first half is a pretty straight crime film, but it takes a hard genre turn towards horror when our heroes stop off at a seedy strip club to celebrate their successful border crossing, finding themselves in an establishment run by vampires intent on locking everyone inside and feast upon their blood. From there, the film turns from crime film into a "Night of the Living Dead" or "Assault on Precinct 13" style siege film (a nod to which is made by one character wearing a "Precinct 13" t-shirt). I remember a friend of mine watching this film with no idea what it was about or there were any horror elements to the film and had his mind completely explode when the bar employees and strippers all of a sudden start turning into vampires, which I thought was hilarious since there is nothing in the first half of the film to indicate that vampires are coming. The second half of the film is pretty heavy on action and vampire slaying, so there's not as much snappy Tarantino dialogue, but is still fun non-the-less. There's also a very cool supporting cast of character that show up in the vampire club including Salma Hayek as a stripper named Santanico Pandemonium, Cheech Marin in three different roles, Danny Trejo as Razor Charlie, Tom Savini as sex Machine, Greg Nicotero, and the always great Fred Williamson. Some other memorable supporting players who appear prior to the vampire bar are John Saxon, Marc Lawrence, Kelly Preston, John Hawkes, and Michael Parks. There's also some fun crossovers moments to other Tarantino and Rodriguez films including Michael Park's Earl McGraw later becoming a recurring character in "Kill Bill," "Planet Terror," and "Death Proof". There's also Chango Beer and Sex Machine's codpiece gun that reference "Desperado." Big Kahuna Burgers from "Pulp Fiction" also make an appearance and would later reappear in "Death Proof." Clooney also borrows a line from "Reservoir Dogs" with "All right, Ramblers. Let's get ramblin'!" Oh, and Tarantino's trademark foot fetish is also present. So for fans of Rodrigues and Tarantino movies, this one is hard to resist. For non-fans, you may not love it as much, but it's still goofy crime and horror film fun. FUN FACT! In return for providing the ear-slicing scene special effects in Reservoir Dogs, Robert Kurtzman asked Tarantino to write the screenplay for "From Dusk Till Dawn" based on his original story.

• Jul 29, 2019

Clooney and Tarantino patronizes the brotherhood with warmth which is a complete shock in contrast to this vampire bloodbath. From Dusk Till Dawn Rodriguez is searching for a crowd. And with this crowd pleasing pop culture commercial cinema, he may have found it with the help of a big production and even bigger cast. But all the likeable ingredients couldn't make me nod to any of their theories. First and foremost what I found most fascinating is how smart actually the concept and the structure of the script is. Quentin Tarantino's screenplay and Robert Rodriguez's direction are both going in the same direction, their eyes might be on different topics but they are at least in sync, unlike the previous experience of Tarantino with Tony Scott that I found a bit uneven. But this time I am to blame even Tarantino for it. For the structure of the script is incredibly promising and has enormous potential. The script is bafflingly smart. It starts with a crime scene that marks the territory and as it proceeds further and further, the madness multiplies and the boundaries are pushed periodically. Now, this is an engaging journey to go through. Jumping in one from one location to another, one genre to another and one tone of violence to another, but this is all shucked out of the window by the execution. What all Rodriguez had to do was acknowledge the current state, position, scenario that is explored in this wild ride. As soon as he accepts the presence of each character the film should electrify all those elements that were meant to shock the viewers. And it is not that he hasn't tried. With a hands-on camera work that gives a personal look from a character's perspective, he has made us look through their spects plenty of times. But From Dusk Till Dawn, none of the characters notify us physically or verbally of their inner emotions of the world they revolve around.

• Jul 18, 2019

its outlandish and vulgar

its outlandish and vulgar

• Jun 02, 2019

Many things to love about this movie. Great performances from the cast, particularly Clooney and Tarantino. Also, while feeling uneven, the mixing of crime and horror genres fits well in my opinion. Furthermore, the gore is top notch, one-liners are memorable, and the dialogue can be hilarious at times. Very enjoyable movie with an amazing opening scene at the convenience store.

• May 21, 2019

Creative, Funny & Violent. This off beat crime/vampire flick gives enough enjoyment to say i liked it especially it being tarantino's screenplay, and throwing a good cast and good to decent performances. even though i enjoyed it overall, it still has some issues. The Son "Scott" was kind of annoying and just a son character that "needed" to be there, he could have just had the daughter character IMO. Bad dialogue mostly from the son i'd say, I thought it wrapped up alright and i mean i didnt say to much here but it's just something you have to watch. I'd watch this over most movies today and i'm glad i gave it a chance and had fun with it. 6-6.5 give-r-take the vampires are a little underwhelming but still like i said worth it overall because it is funny, creative and violent. George Clooney also swears alot so... thats always good.

• May 16, 2019

There is no reason for this film to work. At all. It has its hands in so many baskets that it shouldn't have functioned for even twenty minutes. And while it's slow to get interesting, the last hour of this film is some of the weirdest and most absolutely wild and hilarious nonsense I've ever seen in a film. It is not for everyone; but if the prospect of campy overly-violent action and disgustingly quotable dialogue is appealing, you'll probably wonder why you haven't seen it yet.

• Mar 20, 2019

i loved George Clooney in this, personally my favorite of the tarantino related films

• Mar 15, 2019

My favorite Tarantino movie. Well, besides of Pulp Fiction of course.

My favorite Tarantino movie. Well, besides of Pulp Fiction of course.