Frost/Nixon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Frost/Nixon Reviews

November 7, 2017
Tense and with weighty performances that make what should be quite a boring movie into something quite tremendous
September 25, 2017
Michael Sheen gives this film a lightness, whereas it is difficult to see Frank langella as Nixon. It's a good film though and the ending is terrific. There is plenty of drama and glamour and history to make this a great film. Ron Howard I believe is one of the best directors around
July 30, 2017
Managing to do the seemingly impossible, making politics exciting, Ron Howard crafts one of his finest films in Frost/Nixon, centring on a duel between a smiling, optimistic TV presenter and a gruff, downtrodden former President. As the films go along we see these men shapeshift, occasionally taking on each other attitudes, and experiencing a wealth of emotions that stem from conflicts not only with each other, but within themselves. Sheen and Langella, who played their respective roles in the stage play, are clearly very comfortable in the parts, and their verbal toing and froing is where the film really shines. Langella draws out an inner confidence, borderline arrogance, from Nixon's dejected persona, and surprises us with his ease at defending himself while at his lowest time. The movie takes a fair amount of artistic license, but what liberties are taken aren't there to pervert the facts of history, merely to enhance the drama. The supporting cast, including Kevin Bacon, Sam Rockwell and Oliver Platt, always reliable actors, serve the movie beautifully, and while they have plenty of great moments, the 2 leads truly steal the show, going head to head in a war of words, ethics and egos. I didn't know much at all about the Frost/Nixon interviews, but now that I've seen this film I might just go away and watch them, and that's the sign of a truly great historic movie. It not only entertains you, it informs and deepens your desire to continue being informed.
July 18, 2017
Great performances and production design.
May 3, 2017
That was way more engaging than I was expecting, especially considering the subject matter and coming from Howard. Knock out performances from the two leads. Playing the interview out like a boxing match was brilliant.
April 1, 2017
Ron Howard's best movie. Its a true story about a reporter that has an interview with ex-president Richard Nixon. While Frank Langella is good, its Michael Sheen that I love more. The scenes where he's realizing he is blowing the whole thing are really entertaining. Good movie.
½ March 13, 2017
An exceptional tale based on real incidents.
Another Ron Howard Film.
January 23, 2017
Superb. How the hell can you make a film about an interview gripping, emotional and fantastic I hear you ask... Answer - watch this film!
½ December 11, 2016
Extraordinary transformation of Frank Langella into Richard Nixon!
October 3, 2016
Orchestrated like a boxing match of David and the Goliath, the history lesson on the disgraced titular president is never this intensely absorbing, thoroughly enthralling and thoughtfully compassionate.
October 2, 2016
What an entertaining thrill ride, but what made it entertaining and unique was that it was political in context but it was delivered like a sports film. Frost vs. Nixon. Two heavyweight champions fight head to head in an all-out battle. In between rounds (filming footage of the interview) both combatants return to their corners for pep-talks from their associates. This direction from Ron Howard and the wonderful screenplay make it easy for someone who maybe isn't too familiar with United States politics to follow along, although it certainly helps. Another reason why this film works so well is the acting. All across the board, magnificent. One of the best ensemble-casts ever! Lastly, with all the jargon and lingo of political talk, the themes of this film are still very relatable. On one hand, this film conveys the message of being careful about what you wish for because if you get it, what cost will it be to you and to those around you? On the other, the film conveys the message of redemption and if you admit to your mistakes, you will ultimately be forgiven and your conscience will be clear. Overall, this is an excellent film. A great watch for political nuts or people who just like good movies.
September 27, 2016
Well acted movie. Great story. Good Ron Howard film.
August 30, 2016
Superb. Nixon is great and the interview format for the witnesses is refreshing
August 27, 2016
Featuring a mesmerizing reliably turn from Frank Langella as the unchancy President Nixon, this semi-documentary is witty in its depiction of one the most controversial interview in history.
August 21, 2016
Interesting reenactment. I would have thought it was a flop film but I was not bored at all. Very nice strange twist when Nixon actually motivates Frost during a private phone call. Probably his conscience, under the influence of alcohol, made him do it. It changed the resulting interview.
August 21, 2016
August 4, 2016
The story builds slowly, but once the infamous post-Watergate interview takes center stage, it becomes more so like a heavyweight title fight.
½ May 2, 2016
The most interesting film on an interview you'll ever see, and heavily thanks to strong directing by Howard and to great leads to build chemistry.
April 20, 2016
Expertly constructed and filled with strong performances, "Frost/Nixon" matches the gravitas and sensitivity of its powerful subject hit for hit.
April 16, 2016
Very dry, though they did the best they could with the material that they decided to base a movie off of. Very much the same problem with "The Walk (2015)"--great acting and directing but stretching something that really shouldn't be two hours.