Funny Bones - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Funny Bones Reviews

November 25, 2016
Jerry Lewis plays both humor and drama well here. However, there is a slight tone of boredom in Lewis' tone when he speaks. Oliver Platt almost single-handedly carries the bulk of this film. The cast here is in good form.
July 20, 2016
Funny, quirky, thoughtful, heartfelt movie
½ August 12, 2015
amazing piece of film!
June 24, 2013
One of the funniest, sweetest, most nostalgic films ever made. Probably the unfortunate title and horrible print ad campaign killed it (see above image - who wants to see >that< movie?).
This is one of those rare films, like Local Hero or Cold Comfort Farm, that will have the viewer yearning for a re-visit. Too many classic scenes to mention. The film probably runs a little long, but I'm stumped at what could possibly be cut.
If you love films, this is required viewing. A masterpiece.
½ November 6, 2012
Massively underrated, and extremely eccentric comedy. Lee Evans is amazing.
½ October 16, 2011
A movie taking its delicious style from the setting and characters. To see the variety performers auditioning for spots was a great treat. The story is the barest pretence for the fantastic characters who populate the canvas, although it does have elements of domestic realism, as well as the issue of professional rights over material. But the essential aspect of this piece are the strongly drawn individuals interacting with one another to bring a whole range of comedic traditions to the screen. If you have any interest in comedy as a performance skill, this is truly a delight. I love every moment of it.
½ July 31, 2011
Good Stuff. You'll Enjoy This If You're An Old-School Comic Fan.
June 8, 2011
"Les drôles de Blackpool"
½ March 17, 2011
This is a great film with an odd cast. Even though I've come to detest his stand up act, Lee Evans absolutely steals the movie with his performance. 7/10
July 31, 2010
The lee evans bits are good-but not as good as his stand up stuff-and its good to see blackpool used in a film.
July 10, 2010
Such a good start! keeps it going then the sound of snip, snip! Yep some crazy studio cutting in the last third, seems to be the culprit. But the picture still stands up after having it's feet cut off. Mainly due to exellent performances, a fantastic darkly comic theme and creative use of the Blackpool setting! Worth it for one of the best comic lines in cinima over the past 20 years and a mime skit by Evens which WILL autograph itself into your memory. Just a shame about the ending which broke the spell a little for me, "how did he learn to climb that pole"?! I will give it a second look though, hence 4 stars.
June 26, 2010
Top British film, lee evans is perfect for his role, his energies are restrained and are not annoying!
April 9, 2010
One of my favorite of all time
½ March 31, 2010
One of the best but not well known.
Lee at his finest.
March 9, 2010
hilarious movie quirky and different
½ February 25, 2010
A rather offbeat combination of comedy and drama, directly and indirectly dealing with comedy on top of that. I'd heard all sorts of mixed opinions about this film, but that usually just makes me want to see a movie even more. I actually acquired the used dvd without having seen it, mainly because it features one of Jerry Lewis' later roles. Fortunately I wasn't disappointed, though the performances that really stood out were from the 2 leads Oliver Platt, and the very underrated Lee Evans. The tone of the movie may be too uneven for a lot of people, but I tend to enjoy uneven films. This was alternatively funny, sad, unsettling, and often just odd. I personally found it to be one of the most unique and creative comedies to come out of the 90's (and I thought I'd seen most of the them already). I do feel like the ending could've tied things up a little better, but I'm still glad I got the DVD.
½ February 12, 2010
I think this film is highly underated it gets to the heart of what comedy really is
January 30, 2010
Such a quirky film, director Peter Chelsom at least takes some risks and tries something different, unfortunately, it doesn?t always work, but when it does it is fascinating. Leslie Caron is terrific in a supporting role. It is too often an uneasy mix of comedy and heavy drama and it's 2 hour and 8 minute length is excessive for a film of this nature. Excellent score, finely photographed.
January 30, 2010
October 31, 2009
This film is very uneven, but has some marvelous moments. Hats, plates, and poles make up for the moments that drag. Worth the time to see.