Funny Girl Reviews

• Sep 03, 2022

I wasn't especially keen on this musical at first but I quite enjoyed it after a while. Its pretty cheesy and sentimental at times but I liked that the love interest is found to have his own issues. It reminded me of the 'A Star is Born' films. I thought it was interesting, in terms of how the dynamics change between Fanny Brice and Nick Arnstein (played by Omar Sharif). I like the main character of Fanny Brice for being an ambitious woman who made her own decisions, pretty much. If you like musicals and particularly if you like 1960s biopics, then I'd recommend this film, yes.

• Jun 06, 2022

Funny Girl is the story of a determined young woman who despite not being conventionally beautiful, is determined to break into show business. Barbra Streisand plays the very Jewish main character. Many people love her, but her Jewish shtick was very grating and distracting, especially for modern audiences who have been exposed to Rachel (Friends) and Midge Maisel ( Marvelous Ms. Maisel); positive Jewish characters who are more well-rounded and nuanced. The music was okay, but really the only song that was a showstopper was Don't Rain on My Parade. Overall, I suppose it is worth seeing, but definitely not my favorite of this genre.

• May 18, 2022

Babs makes the movie.

Babs makes the movie.

• Jan 06, 2022

Let me change the lyrics a little bit: Barbra Streisand is the greatest star, she is by far and everyone knows it! Streisand elavates this very fine film with her talent, charisma and, of course, with her voice. An absolutely marvelous performance! Watched on Jan 6, 2022.

• Oct 20, 2021

A fun musical, with great costumes. Not much dancing, but more of singing and drama kind of musical. Watch for Barbara Streisand's singing, long nails and fast talking

• Jul 07, 2021

Watching this made me realize some of the reasons why Barbara Streisand is a likeable star, which I never really understood before. Also, this movie was funny ahead of its time.

• Feb 08, 2021

Unfortunately there are a lot of plot holes and anachronisms - for a show thought to be set in the early 1900s, it looked very 1960s. Sure Barbra Streisand is a great singer. But so many characters in this movie act without any logic which can only be described as lazy writing. For example, Fanny gets married, has a child - and is suddenly back on stage, making mountains of money. There is no explanation how and why the wife of a wealthy man around 1910 would be doing this - especially after having abandoned her group in the middle of a tour. I was rather disappointed in the execution of this film.

• Nov 11, 2020

One of the better musicals, Funny Girl features Barbra Streisand's greatest performance of her career.

• Sep 29, 2020

It's funny, I understand why people like this movie, but it's not one of my favorites. Fanny Brice, played by Barbara Streisand, is entertaining on the screen, but if I had to deal with someone as exasperating as her in real life, it would be miserable. And apparently Streisand and Brice share some common attributes in this regard, according to the filmmakers. I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade, but Funny Girl is a mediocre musical.

• Jul 29, 2020

Great movie, but I don't get Omar Sharif as Nicky Arnstein.

Great movie, but I don't get Omar Sharif as Nicky Arnstein.