Funny People Reviews

• Oct 05, 2019

When I first saw this film about ten years ago I can confidently say that it didn't leave much of an impression on me. After re-watching it recently, however, I have to say that it's actually quite a sweet and funny film. It's one of those films where you either get it or you don't. In my case, I didn't get it when I first watched it but fast forward 10 years worth of experiencing life, and all of the things that life gives you--love, heartbreak, regret, wisdom, growth--I can now confidently say that I *do* get it. And I'm glad that I finally do.

• Jul 17, 2019

The most unfunniest film of all time. Seth Rogen as unfunny as usual.

The most unfunniest film of all time. Seth Rogen as unfunny as usual.

• Jun 22, 2019

If you take out all the terrible stand-up crap it's still a really bad movie

If you take out all the terrible stand-up crap it's still a really bad movie

• May 21, 2019

Apatow relies upon little wins, in this successively disappointing chapter about depressed characters, Sandler is his biggest win. Funny People Apatow is closing down a comedy club. Ironically, despite of the film title, the director, Judd Apatow has made a film about unfunny people. Sad and lost, drinking their own sorrow, exhaling their fear and failure, this is an incredibly difficult story to pull off. With such poignancy involved- not that it depends upon it, but the route it takes is way too dark and upsetting- the grip could easily be lost with the viewers. Especially, if there is very little to feel empathetic about the characters, something that Apatow may earn in latter stages, but to have that in your pocket from the start would be almost impossible. Also, he treats his film like a musical. With every step further advanced in the script, there comes a tight five minute of train of jokes plastered as some stand up gig, trying to balance the comedy and drama. Unfortunately, while doing so, what Apatow forgets is that, he is stopping the clock ticking every time he follows the jokes. And as always, a written down joke varies completely different from the one performed, boiling it down to a not-so-tight five minutes. Seth Rogen is the perfect host, as in he never takes charge on the screen, he is supportive in the perfect way, he allows others to control the energy. And in control is, Adam Sandler in his most darkest role. He is somehow himself, from his intuitions and vocab and body language on the stage, but him destroying himself with various cooky tactics is definitely difficult to swallow. And that sombre part of Sandler is where he excels in the film. Funny Man is not funny and nor is about a common man, ergo the term "normal" gets a whole new definition and the film feeds on it every time, Apatow refreshes it with a new batch.

• Mar 11, 2019

As a fan of stand up comedy Adam Sandler and Seth Rogen who often do silly comedies do really well here as serious actors. Adam Sandler seems like he is playing himself here because his character George Simmons does really bad comedy films, both are big stand up comedians,and have helped out comedians like Kevin James and Rob Schneider. Judd Apatow who produced the HBO show Crashing and hit films like The 40 Year Virgin, Superbad, and Knocked Up really shows his love of stand up comedy here and includes cameos from comedians Aziz Ansari and a scene cut from the late Brody Stevens.

• Dec 23, 2018

Half of a star for Leslie Mann

Half of a star for Leslie Mann

• Oct 26, 2018

It tries to tell a drama with comedy, and achieves neither. Possibly the most boring Adam Sandler vehicle I've seen.

• Oct 19, 2018

In my eyes it's a 2000's Apatow masterpiece, even more of a human examination and natural comedy than Knocked Up. Look away from Rogen and Sandler as pop-comics and there's a diamond in here.

• Aug 31, 2018

Funny but also sad movie starring Seth Rogan and Adam Sandler. This to me has to be Adam Sandler s best movie he's ever made. Tons of people would probably disagree with me but this movie had the heart and soul I needed. I would definitely see this again. I had a sad blast.

• Jul 24, 2018

one Adam Sandler's few good films. Combines a good mix of comedy plus drama and will have you rooting for the character in many different ways.