F/X - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

F/X Reviews

April 7, 2016
Enough gadgetry/special effects to fill a Bond film. Also, some wit. But sophisticated it ain't.
Succeeds because of Brown's charm (that accent!) and Dennehy's performance.
Enough bodies to fill the city morgue.
½ December 13, 2015
I saw this one several times when I was younger and have always liked it. It's a light, entertaining story that moves along nicely and has strong performances from Brown and Dennehy. Worth a watch.
November 28, 2015
Esta peli arrasó entre la chiquillería de los 80 al desvelar el ilimitado poder de los efectos especiales.
October 26, 2015
I did like F/X a film where bryan brown plays a special effects man who is hired by the justice department to fake an assassination of a mobster played by jerry orbach who about to join witness protection program but after brown does his job a justice department employee tries to knock him off after they ends up knocking of his lady friend played by Diana Verona by mistake brown ends up taking on the entire justice department .brian dennehy gives a good performance a NYPD detective trying to find the truth
½ July 29, 2015
While entertaining at times, F/X is a pretty disappointing action movie with a plot that had much more potential than what it got
May 6, 2015
Divertida y sin pretensiones. Un thriller algo naive, pero que gracias a la particularidad de su protagonista, como especialista en efectos, hace que sea más fresco que los de la época. Eso sí, es difícil tomarse en serio la trama y prácticamente todo los personajes que aparecen.

Puro disfrute.
February 6, 2015
No parking after ten o'clock!

A special effects director is approached about staging a kill scene to help the police sneak someone into protective custody. The goal is to make the man look dead with real life witnesses; the problem, after the job is executed the police involved are gunned down, the guy going into protective custody is kidnapped, and the director is believed to be responsible. Can the director stay out of the cop's investigation and clear his name?

"Have a look in the crotch."

Robert Mandel, director of The Substitute, Perfect Whiteness, Touch and Go, Independence Day (1983), School Ties, A Season on the Brink, and The Secret Life of Zoey, delivers F/X. The storyline for this picture is okay and did have a strong 80s feel to it. The action and drama was well done but not outstanding. The acting was fairly good and the cast includes Bryan Brown, Brian Dennehy, Diane Venora, Mason Adams, and Martha Gehman.

"Nobody dies like you."

I grabbed this off HBOGO because I have historically heard so many good things about it. Unfortunately, I felt this was pretty average. I honestly think they would have been better off getting Michael Caine to play the lead role. Nevertheless, this was an entertaining film that had some clever twists and a worthwhile conclusion. This is far from a classic, but worth a viewing.

"No loose ends!"

Grade: C+
October 27, 2014
Not hard to enjoy this film.
September 17, 2014
Time has not been kind, but there is still some life in this movie.
September 14, 2014
wow....classics.....man i have just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is such a great movie 2 watch.....its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie.....i think that Mason Adams, Cliff De Young, Diane Venora, Brian Dennehy, Bryan Brown, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......i think that the director of this mystery/suspense/adventure/action movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.....man this is such a thrilling movie 2 watch, its got good car chases throughout this movie......

The unsolicited screenplay was written by two novice writers, actor Gregory Fleeman and documentary filmmaker Robert T. Megginson. Producer Jack Wiener read their script, which was submitted as a low-budget television movie, and felt that it should be made into a theatrical release. Wiener and his co-producer Dodi Fayed hired Robert Mandel, an Off-Broadway director. They did not want to hire an action director, but instead wanted a director who would bring a realistic touch to the film and make the audience care about the main character. Mandel accepted the job because he wanted to dispel the perception that he was a "soft, arty director".Initially he was not impressed with the film's screenplay, which he felt was not well-crafted but felt that it provided for "a lot of action and a lot of things I did not have under my belt". In preparation for the film's action sequences, Mandel studied chase scenes from Bullitt and The French Connection. To pull off the film's special effects, the producers hired John Stears, who had worked on the first eight James Bond films and shared a special effects Academy Award for Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.

The movie was filmed during the summer of 1985 around New York City and in Rye, New York, as well as Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Toronto locations included Sherway Gardens Mall in Etobicoke.

A preview screening in the San Fernando Valley produced some of the best statistics Orion Pictures had seen in some time. A week before its release, a film industry screening was very successful, as was its premiere at the United States Film Festival (later known as the Sundance Film Festival).

WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT SOME SCENES THROGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....man this is such a thrilling movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie.....

the whole cast::

Jerry Orbach as Nicholas DeFranco
Joe Grifasi as Mickey
Trey Wilson as Lt. Murdoch
Tom Noonan as Varrick
Jossie de Guzman as Marisa Velez (Police computer expert)
M'el Dowd as Miss Joyce Lehman
Roscoe Orman as Capt. Wallenger
Martha Gehman as Andy
Angela Bassett as TV Reporter (This is her feature film debut)

man this is such a thrilling movie 2 watch, its got a good cast throughout this movie.....its got good car chases throughout this movie.....

Despite the studio's financial troubles, MGM announced in January 2010 that it planned a remake of F/X, with Robert Mandel directing.[11] The new movie was originally slated for release in 2011.

man this is such a thrilling movie 2 watch, its got good car chases throughout this movie.....man this is such a cult 1980's movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie....man this is such a great movie 2 watch, with a good cast throughout this movie it is such a thrilling movie 2 watch, with a great cast throughout this movie.....YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE AS SOMETHING HAPPENS AT THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE....man this is a great movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie......
½ September 12, 2014
For a film about special effects, this one is more than meets the eye. The film's premise, which revolves around a special effects wizard who's hired to stage a real assassination, immediately seemed like an interesting concept, and to my surprise, it actually works quite well. The characters perform quite well, and they all work within the setting as best as they can. The plot of this movie constantly gets better, as the main character begins to fear for his life to the point of paranoia, and the film doesn't appear to have a lot pacing problems. Of course, a movie called "F/X" is inevitably going to focus on special effects, and for once, this actually makes sense within the context of the story. This film has quite a few stand-out set pieces made specifically for this movie, and they're used quite effectively. There are a few scenes that showcase SFX work being done as part of the plot, and those scenes are among the most immersive that the film has to offer. Overall, this is a movie that lives up to its name, but is also really entertaining in its own right.
August 16, 2014
A smart script handled expertly by a confident director and starring two charismatic and desperately underrated actors, F/X was a hit but, excepting a mediocre sequel, nobody involved seemed to benefit greatly from it. One of the best films of it's type.
June 22, 2014
Very good movie. Interesting plot, good style, great action, pretty funny, good performances from cast, especially Brown and Dennehy.
May 6, 2014
The idea was cool, the movie not so much.
January 31, 2014
gr8 cast good mix of humour and action try to steer clear of the plot holes.
January 30, 2014
Very entertaining and original.
½ October 26, 2013
I remember thinking this film was just awesome when it first came out. It still holds up as a good piece of entertainment, but the 40something in me had a harder time overlooking huge plot holes and gaps in logic. Still, it's got some good action and to story of SFX creator, Bryan Brown being hired by the FBI to fake a mobsters death so he can go into the witness protection program, but is then double crossed and set up to be the fall guy. Brown is good in the lead and this was probably the first film I'd seen him in, but I definitely know this was the first film that make be think that Brian Dennehy is awesome, who plays a curmudgeonly and resourceful cop who doesn't buy the dirty FBI agents stories. Diane Venora is another actress who I've always liked and has a small part as Brown's girlfriend. You've also got Cliff De Young, Mason "Smuckers" Adams, Jerry "Be Our Guest" Orbach, Tom Noonan, Joe Grifasi and look fast for Angela Bassett as a TV reporter. Director Robert Mandel is someone who I think is an underrated action director. He's like a Phil Karlson or John Badham; not an auteur but someone who consistently directs quality entertainment. If you can suspend you disbelief long enough, this is still a pretty fun film.
September 23, 2013
The movie starts well enough, and the make-belief story didn't make me uncomfortable enough to enjoy the strategy making process!! The humor played a significant role there (why so serious), I guess. But come second half of the flick, and the suspension of disbelief becomes sort of a challenge to overcome. (No loose ends!!!) It simply keeps descending thereafter, with the end hitting the nail to the coffin. Besides, the performances too were terrible. Having said that, it's a tolerable one (maybe specifically on a fine day) that doesn't call for repeated viewings.
½ August 6, 2013
A memorable film of my childhood, reminds me of a lot Mcguyver.
½ July 18, 2013
A very cool and stylish crime thriller that I forgot about since i was a kid...used to love these movies (they made a 2nd film) and even though it appears dated it is original enough to stand on its own.