The General's Daughter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The General's Daughter Reviews

½ September 4, 2017
The real crime here is that this movie is based on a true story. I first heard this one in 1978. However, women have been in the American Armed Forces, and facing the rape issue since WWII and probably since Molly Pitcher. But the one I heard about in '78 was a noble soul who reasoned that if she made a big deal out of it, which "they" were expecting her to, "they" would use it as an excuse to keep women out of Military academies and positions from then on. You decide if it made any difference in the long run. Does anyone think rape doesn't still happen in the military? This movie goes AWOL, gets real weird, lands way off target in my opinion. The actual soldier woman gets less screen time than anyone else, how ironic is that? What a gyp. She sounds to me like the female version of Jesus, if she did what she did for the reason I was told she did, by a source in the know. She deserves a better salute than this. Let's hope someone approaches the subject again, but attempts to breathe some actual life into the soldier woman who took rape in stride, because that is what the military is STILL asking rape survivors to do, I hope you know.
September 1, 2017
General Devilish Deceiving Deviousness.
August 18, 2017
Excellent murder mystery with lots of twists and turns to keep you guessing. Travolta is excellent, with a great supporting cast.
½ April 16, 2017
John Travolta is the best thing about this movie
January 31, 2017
It's good movie to watch
July 22, 2016
7/22/2016: It was ok, but nothing extraordinary or memorable.
½ January 12, 2016
misuse of the novel....i personally think John Travolta is not perfect for the role....but it watchable
October 25, 2015
good military suspenser like 'the presidio' & others
October 11, 2015
In continuing proof that I am totally out of touch with the general viewing public, I found this to be watchable and interesting. Travolta was likeable and interesting, and the story was also interesting. My only real negatives were the over-the-top acting by Clarence Williams (remember "Mod Squad"?) and James Woods. And I mean WAY over the top with Clarence Williams. And my other minor problem was the way that everything was so clearly explained at the end, like they wanted to make absolutely sure we got it. Other than that, it was a good, watchable, military crime "who dunnit". I suppose some were a bit shocked and disturbed that the daughter had a kinky side, but as films go that was quite tame, IMO. Unlike, say "Se7en" with Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt. Geez, now THAT was disturbing. Anyway, I'd call it a good, watchable movie.
September 2, 2015
Military rape & sexual harassment is a real & present danger.
August 10, 2015
Based on true story, this story of brutality & cover-up in the military is given the Hollywood treatment. Worth seeing once.
½ May 24, 2015
Big try but a very small fish of a thriller which should be thrown back.
½ January 4, 2015
I have no idea what the critics were thinking when they rated this film. The dialogue is snappy, the investigation is swift and does not grow boring, and the ending is something one may never suspect. The filming was also excellent with very stable camerawork and aesthetic camera angles. The only complaint that I have is the horrid sound mixing. At times it was impossible to hear the dialogue over the music, making for some muddy sounding scenes.
October 15, 2014
A good thriller with what I thought was a real good performance by John Travolta. He's kind of a hard ass but a loyal, good moraled one. He co stars with Madeline Stowe who plays a cool confident role. Together they try to solve the rape murder of the generals daughter on an army base. There are some good thrills to be had here and the plot is good but it does take silly turns at time. Overall a good mystery thriller. Nothing too exceptional but nothing bad by any means.
August 11, 2014
Now why would the Critics Not like this film? Too formulaic? I think being in the Military must have something to do with the feeling! Enjoyable to the Max for Atmosphere.
June 5, 2014
From the man who brought us Con air brings this let down of a action flick. The villains in the movie are forgettable and John Travolta was okay in this film.
April 23, 2014
Popcorn movie and something Travolta was pretty good in. Shame it suffered in other areas. You know, like the script, visuals, plot, costume, convincing acting, etc. But who cares, Travolta!
April 1, 2014
I really tried to like this movie but it was dull. Even with some fine actors this movie just didn't move me. I couldn't finish it. Nice cinematography but poor storytelling.
½ March 20, 2014
"Two problems there. First the obvious: there are no good ones. Second, you're not a civilian, Colonel, you're in the army. You have no rights to an attorney. You have no right to remain silent. And if you don't cooperate I may have to put you in jail and that would make me feel really bad."