The General's Daughter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The General's Daughter Reviews

January 31, 2017
It's good movie to watch
July 22, 2016
7/22/2016: It was ok, but nothing extraordinary or memorable.
½ January 12, 2016
misuse of the novel....i personally think John Travolta is not perfect for the role....but it watchable
October 25, 2015
good military suspenser like 'the presidio' & others
October 11, 2015
In continuing proof that I am totally out of touch with the general viewing public, I found this to be watchable and interesting. Travolta was likeable and interesting, and the story was also interesting. My only real negatives were the over-the-top acting by Clarence Williams (remember "Mod Squad"?) and James Woods. And I mean WAY over the top with Clarence Williams. And my other minor problem was the way that everything was so clearly explained at the end, like they wanted to make absolutely sure we got it. Other than that, it was a good, watchable, military crime "who dunnit". I suppose some were a bit shocked and disturbed that the daughter had a kinky side, but as films go that was quite tame, IMO. Unlike, say "Se7en" with Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt. Geez, now THAT was disturbing. Anyway, I'd call it a good, watchable movie.
September 2, 2015
Military rape & sexual harassment is a real & present danger.
August 10, 2015
Based on true story, this story of brutality & cover-up in the military is given the Hollywood treatment. Worth seeing once.
½ May 24, 2015
Big try but a very small fish of a thriller which should be thrown back.
½ January 4, 2015
I have no idea what the critics were thinking when they rated this film. The dialogue is snappy, the investigation is swift and does not grow boring, and the ending is something one may never suspect. The filming was also excellent with very stable camerawork and aesthetic camera angles. The only complaint that I have is the horrid sound mixing. At times it was impossible to hear the dialogue over the music, making for some muddy sounding scenes.
October 15, 2014
A good thriller with what I thought was a real good performance by John Travolta. He's kind of a hard ass but a loyal, good moraled one. He co stars with Madeline Stowe who plays a cool confident role. Together they try to solve the rape murder of the generals daughter on an army base. There are some good thrills to be had here and the plot is good but it does take silly turns at time. Overall a good mystery thriller. Nothing too exceptional but nothing bad by any means.
August 11, 2014
Now why would the Critics Not like this film? Too formulaic? I think being in the Military must have something to do with the feeling! Enjoyable to the Max for Atmosphere.
June 5, 2014
From the man who brought us Con air brings this let down of a action flick. The villains in the movie are forgettable and John Travolta was okay in this film.
April 23, 2014
Popcorn movie and something Travolta was pretty good in. Shame it suffered in other areas. You know, like the script, visuals, plot, costume, convincing acting, etc. But who cares, Travolta!
April 1, 2014
I really tried to like this movie but it was dull. Even with some fine actors this movie just didn't move me. I couldn't finish it. Nice cinematography but poor storytelling.
½ March 20, 2014
"Two problems there. First the obvious: there are no good ones. Second, you're not a civilian, Colonel, you're in the army. You have no rights to an attorney. You have no right to remain silent. And if you don't cooperate I may have to put you in jail and that would make me feel really bad."
November 10, 2013
Very intense crime thriller. It's not what you expect until all is revealed. Good cast. Travolta beings it all to the table again.
½ October 26, 2013
Pretty good movie. Decent story, ok twists, fairly good performances from Travolta and other cast members.
September 8, 2013
half action half murder investigation. puzzled? well the film isn't that good but it isn't the worst film out there. don't feel bad if you end up liking this film because it does include an interesting plot line
½ August 14, 2013
The General's Daughter (Simon West, 1999)
[originally posted 14Feb2000]

The General's Daughter was just as bad as everyone said it was, but Michele has a thing for Madeline Stowe and I have a thing for Jimmy Woods, so we rented it. Ugh. I've developed a theory-- it takes a great screenwriter to get a good movie out of a mediocre novel (for example, the chap who did the screenwriting for Hitch, who transformed many a bad book into an excellent film-- did Hitch do his own screenwriting?). And GD didn't have a great screenwriter, or even a good one. Travolta, however, does a spot-on Georgia accent. Oh, yeah-- and a shoo-in for most annoying soundtrack of the year and most annoying song of the year ("Sea Lion Woman," which should be stewed in a fire kindled from its own sheet music). 1/2