Generation Wealth Reviews

• 4d ago

All the low scores are from people that undoubtedly, have seen themselves in the work of Greenfield.

• Feb 02, 2020

It was just random people from different age groups talking. Literally just that.

• Jan 11, 2020

This is a dark, occasionally disturbing dive into the cultural obsession with wealth of the 21st century. The director has a photographer’s eye for detail which comes out as she explores the lives of the individual subjects in, at times, excruciating detail. If there is a central thesis beyond the obvious pitfalls of greed, it’s hard to determine based on how scattered the focus is from person to person. By the end, the film takes on an almost meta quality as it explores the making of the film itself and how the characters lend their roles in that capacity. I’m not sure the film presents a strong enough reason to watch based on the emotional toll it will take on some viewers.

• Jan 10, 2020

This was a good documentary. While it's central theme struggles to be a "money-looks-power can't buy you happiness" piece, it emerges a visually stunning and intimate story of a broken home, lost generation and society grappling with purpose. The writer/director isn't lonely person but there is a sadness in this family which on the outside seems to have had it all. She was raised by an absentee mother only to become an absentee mother herself in adulthood. When she points the finger (or camera) at the real culprit we get to see the most spectacular display of beta males and diseased toxic femininity America has to offer. Get the popcorn ready!

• Dec 24, 2019

This documentary has no center and no heart. It jumps from board topic to broad topic, failing to lend any meaningful discussion to the topic of excessive wealth and it's impact on the generations. The film is self-indulgant; an opportunity for her to publicly pontificate and justify her life choices. I was hoping for an edifying, candid investigation into today's youth and their myriad obsession with media and wealth. The film started in that direction. Unfortunately, in its quest to touch on as many peripheral subjects as possible, associated with wealth, including excessive filming of her family, the film falls short of any depth. I hope she tries again and limits her focus a bit.

• Dec 20, 2019

It was fine. I mean it had a good message and I enjoyed watching it from a photojournalistic point of view.

• Sep 22, 2019

I think it tries a little too hard to say something deep, and it can be pretentious at times, but it does convey a message about wealth, excess, and decadence which is very contemporary and relevant to the times we live in. The self-reflection and self-awareness on the part of the director gives it, I think, a sincerity that raises it above the level of a lot of similar moralistic or condemnatory screeds that deal with the same themes.

• Jun 24, 2019

I loved this documentary. Absolutely nails the narcissism that is destroying our society. Seeing Kim Kardashian as a kid (pre-plastic surgery) is a depressing sight. It's not about who you are it's about what you look like and how much money you have. The Fall of the American Empire is upon us.

• Apr 08, 2019

Interesting journey of money and other obsessions over 25 years...the outcomes are as expected of course...

• Mar 23, 2019

The footage and personalities were captivating. The ending and narrative lost its way a little, but definitely worth a watch.