Get the Gringo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Get the Gringo Reviews

July 22, 2016
***
It's a lot of good silly fun, and it's nice to see Mel Gibson back, because even if he's an absolute maniac in real life, he's a great actor.
½ July 18, 2016
Just like most 80s/90s action stars they make thier name then make a few bad movies, Disappear for a few years then come back with good movie but it goes unrecognised, This movie isn't pretty its plot won't be anything you haven't seen before but it's gritty and gross in places and it works, Gibson puts in a good performance and even though I expected more action I wasn't dissapointed as the story was told well even if it felt quite silly but it's one of the best Gibson films most will never see and that's a shame.
June 17, 2016
Good to see Gibson having some fun and not being too serious! Simple plot - he steals $4million, gets put in a Mexican prison (with VERY loose rules!) and has to figure out hot to get his money back & survive. Some funny moments and plenty of explosions and shootouts and a satisfying ending - nothing too new or different, but a good action/shoot-em-up!
½ May 18, 2016
Mel Gibson is charismatic, snarky, and commanding in this surprisingly gripping action flick.
January 7, 2016
I didn't want to see this one... because I thought it would suck... just the title is not one that catches my attention. I gave it a go during some lunch hrs at work, and found it very entertaining, packed with action and solid story to balance the entire movie. Crime movies don't do this anymore... yet Get The Gringo is one of the few.
December 18, 2015
loved this movie, mel gibson generally unknown to me but definitely got my attention with this movie.
December 8, 2015
This is what Mel dOes best. GOOd mOvie!!
½ December 6, 2015
a wily, charismatic mel gibson is a credit to an otherwise meandering plot. a highly artificial crime story always accelerates, the action scenes advancing it and responsively dynamic - but the characters hardly develop. the gnawing feeling of a quotidian b-movie leaves craving for a revised script better channeling gibson's intensity.
½ November 25, 2015
I can't believe you gave this a higher rating than Braveheart! Smh
November 20, 2015
Very entertaining and action packed. It's good to see Mel Gibson star in a watchable movie every once in a while.
½ November 17, 2015
Gibson plays a Yankee con artist/thief thrown into a Mexican prison: level 1. Gibson plays the type of action star of a Hollywood con movie, wherein he is smarter, better than anyone else, and letting the audience in on the action so that they can feel as if they are smarter, better than anyone else: level 2. Gibson is a disgraced Hollywood star (he said Jews are bad in a town run by Jews) attempting to slick his way back into good graces by producing a golden egg, because they can't resist gold ...
The location and the immersion in the Latino culture is refreshing, the look at Mexican prisons informative. The plot: predictable. S'okay, but nothing to write about on Rotten Tomatoes about.
October 22, 2015
Set in a dark, disgusting, depressing Mexican prison, this is not a film for someone looking for a fun film. I suppose if you like Mel Gibson (which I don't) then it will be somewhat enjoyable. But for me it was a depressing forgettable movie that I'll never re-watch.
½ October 15, 2015
Don't know why this one slipped through the cracks because this 'Payback in Mexico' tale is a brisk and entertaining reminder of why ol' Mad Mel is a movie star in the first place.
October 13, 2015
Una Excelente Película. The plot doesn't get boring, and the trafficking of drugs, organs, and other dispicable things makes this an unbelievable movie. Mel Gibson speaks fairly well Español.
½ September 12, 2015
Mel Gibson is crazy, and this is a direct-to-VOD (I guess it did have a limited theatrical run in the States, didn't know that until now) gem. But brutally violent and just filthy, like in terms of there being dirt and stuff everywhere, surprisingly not sexually dirty, actually.
August 3, 2015
Very entertaining, albeit not particularly exciting prison/heist/con film, that shows Gibson in the same form he's been in around the times of Payback. His character here is as charming and clever as ever, but things go a bit too smoothly most of the time, so there isn't exactly a major thrill about any of it. The location of the run-down Mexican prison also doesn't make for a very versatile setting. The result is still enjoyable thanks to the leading man and a few pretty clever turns.
June 4, 2015
One of the best narrative action drama I've seen.. I think this is one of those current Mel Gibson movies that really has that spot for a long long time. You can see the influence of the money here as hell in prison makes everything interesting. Good plot, good acting and very interesting from start till finish I never get bored on it. Gringo as a criminal then gringo as a bad ass.. 4 out of 5
May 25, 2015
An average yet full bodied movie filled with Gibson at his action best. If not for the lethal weapon ending you would have guessed this movie was made for Gibson 20 years ago.
May 11, 2015
It's a bit strange, but Get the Gringo is great fun with a great cast.
May 7, 2015
A smart and entertaining crime film filled with humorous action, smart characters, realistic directing and an enjoyable story with Gibson as the tip of the spear.