Ghostwatch Reviews

• Aug 20, 2019

The idea is way better than the execution, but this movie is still worth watching for the cultural impact that it provoked and the innovative premise.

• Feb 18, 2018

A waste of time. Only works under the original premise that you're viewing it on live TV and don't know it's fake. Because once you know the truth it simply becomes a horror movie that spends far too much time setting up the climax which makes it quite boring. Plus the scares it manages to throw at us don't work at all.

• Apr 27, 2017

Ghostwatch is a mockumentary where a poltergeist harasses a family while a BBC news crew captures it all. This program is often compared to Orson Welles' infamous radio broadcast of War of the Worlds since many credulous television viewers believed that Ghostwatch was a genuine live news program when it first aired; a hotline that was displayed during the broadcast was inundated with calls from frightened people at home. A lot of one's enjoyment of this feature will stem more from the context that it arose from rather than the content itself, but Ghostwatch is still an intriguing curio for horror movie devotees.

• Apr 21, 2017

Great concept! I kind of hated the ending, but it was decent until then.

Great concept! I kind of hated the ending, but it was decent until then.

• Apr 07, 2017

I shouldn't have rewatched Ghostwatch ... it didn't hold up and my nostalgia is ruined. If you've never seen it, do so.

• Aug 10, 2016

Not many people know this but this was actually the inspiration for the Blair Witch Project and (subsequently through Paranormal Activity, Grave Encounters and others) the entire modern "psychological horror" genre it is also the scariest film I have ever seen and i'm someone that thought Saw was hilarious and Sweeney Todd made me hungry but this...it still gives me nightmares...

• Oct 19, 2015

A really interesting film, a notorious early 90's bbc "mockumentary" that could very well be a horror genre landmark, as it so clearly and heavily informs all the found footage movies to come a decade later, if the makers of Blair Witch and Paranormal activity hadn't seen this before hand, id be suprised. Set up like a real, live, mundane and typically event free BBC ghost hunting documentary it soon spirals into an out and out horror flick, with some genuinely creepy moments, a building sense of unbearable dread and brilliant filmaking craft. Ideal Halloween viewing.

• Sep 17, 2015

Very entertaining, reviews of the WNUF Halloween Special brought me to this, enjoyed it very much

• Jun 06, 2015

Michael Parkinson, Sarah Greene, Mike Smith and Craig Charles lead the cast in Ghostwatch. The film presents itself as a live special programme, broadcasting live through the night from the Early household - "the most haunted house in Britain". What starts off as a fairly slow show soon builds to an intense climax. The film terrified Britain upon broadcast as many people missed the "written by" credit at the start. In an interesting case of life imitating art, at a certain point in the show, the BBC phone lines are jammed by masses of terrified callers. This actually happened in real life around the same time, adding to the terror. The film reportedly caused the first known cases of PTSD triggered by a TV programme, and in one case was cited as a factor in a mentally-ill man's suicide. The film was banned and has never been broadcast in the UK since.

• Jul 18, 2014

the "War of the Worlds" for the television era.

the "War of the Worlds" for the television era.