The Glenn Miller Story Reviews

• 5d ago

The story seems to be that there barely is a story. If you like his music just play an album and save some time you'd lose watching this rubbish. Here's the abridged film, musician not having a great career, marries a woman he's liked for a while, she helps him save some money, he creates his own band and becomes successful. He then dies in a plane crash. That is literally it. The wife is played by the most wooden actress imaginable, marrying her would lead to an early grave through sheer boredom alone. James Stewart plays James Stewart masquerading as Glenn Miller. It's a really bad film. The music is lovely as you might expect.

• Nov 14, 2020

I love Glen Miller music and Jimmy Stewart is my favorite actor so this movie made for a perfect combination of music, storytelling and American history all wrapped up into one wonderful movie!

• Jun 12, 2020

A solid biopic with tones of 1950s nostalgia. It does have a very bad sense of time and feels a bit rushed. Still a really good film though. Total classic

• Jun 12, 2020

Great movie though at times it is a bit bizarrely sugary and Hollywood-ized (Miller's wife takes approx. 20 seconds into the song to recognize "Little Brown Jug," a song that had already been a massive hit for him for years, as just one example). But that is also a sign of the times in America, as well as the fact that the movie was filmed less than ten years after the end of WWII when so many US lives had been sacrificed to defeat Hitler. You have to love the music, which is the real star, and Jimmy Stewart. Always worth a watch!

• Apr 04, 2020

When the Wikipedia article about your subject is structured and paced better than the contents of your movie, you've got an issue. I'm sure I've brought this up before, but there's really only two approaches to writing biopics. The first is the birth-to-death approach, detailing every significant event in every major phase of the subject's life (i.e. Gandhi, Vice, etc.) The other is the more focused approach, selecting a very specific period of time or deed in a subject's life and telling a story about that particular instance (i.e. Lincoln, The King's Speech, etc.) Either approach can work at any given time, but it all usually depends on the subject. They try the blow-by-blow method here, and it really doesn't pass the smell test. I'm not saying that Glenn Miller's entire life isn't worthy of a good film being made out of it. It just feels like these filmmakers didn't care to tell a good story and instead wanted to remind everyone of the songs that the man worked on. I kid you not, a quarter of this movie's runtime is simply watching a band play the tunes arranged by Glenn Miller. That's not a story, that's a Time Life infomercial. Yes, the last third of this movie works better than the first two, but it's only because something of genuine consequence happens. And, by the time it even does, the film's over anyway. As much as I love seeing Jimmy Stewart stammer and squawk around in his goofy, yet winsome Jimmy Stewart way, this didn't end up working for me.

• Aug 20, 2019

This biopic tells of a young man who dreamt of not only writing songs of his own, but creating a new sound through custom arrangements, and forming a special band to play them. It’s a sweet and simple story that thankfully doesn’t go the route of most movies of this type. The Glenn Miller Story is not one of those musical biopics about how fame corrupted him, and how he compromised his art and principles as the limelight became too powerful to resist. It’s the story of a man with a dream, how he used determination to make that dream a reality, and how the world loved the music he made. It spans a big chunk of time in the film, so there is a lot of story to cover, but I never felt lost or confused. I’m glad Jimmy Stewart was in the lead role as well, because he has a wholesome quality that makes you care about the character from the beginning. I have to admit it was a bit humorous that Glenn Miller’s ideas of how music should be played were considered edgy or controversial. His songs sound like the most mellow and bland music I can imagine, so it’s crazy to think people were opposed to his way of doing it. I realize this was a time before rock-and-roll had hit the mainstream, so people were extraordinarily conservative and particular about what made good music, but it’s hard to put myself back into that mindset. My favorite part of the film was probably the forming of his relationship with Helen (played by June Allyson.) The fact that Jimmy Stewart seemed so scatterbrained and yet assumed she would always be ready to marry him was quite funny. I also liked how that developed into the dynamics of their relationship when they were married. While I wasn’t blown away by The Glenn Miller Story as a film, it was kind of like his music...comfortable easy listening.

• Jun 20, 2017

Interesting take on the musical guy. His music is certainly enchanting and I often surprise myself whisling his tunes without knowing where it was from. Now I know. I also recently started with saxophone and Moonlight Serenade is one of my favorites. The DVD has great sound and images. Louis Armstrong is in it! The film has an obvious anti-racism bent in spite of so many white faces. It is very preppy clean and very lovely, not what you would see now as a biopic. But the bits where they get stuck in mud and snow seems to have real mud and snow. More believable than some of today's effects.

• Mar 10, 2017

Stewart and Allyson are re-teamed for this straightforward, fictional account of the life of the popular Big Band leader.

• Jun 30, 2016

I seen this movie so many time and I LOVE IT two thumbs up here in this family well done making this movie ......

• Mar 22, 2015