The Godfather, Part II - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Godfather, Part II Reviews

January 13, 2017
The Godfather's revered sequel hasn't aged as well as one might think. The film's pace just can't match that of the original's (which adroitly made each scene individually captivating and important towards the whole), nor does the film's cinematography come off as particularly memorable. That said, Coppola and Puzo succeeded in writing a much more somber script for this sequel, as well as include more complex subtext regarding capitalism. It's still one of the best sequels ever made, but its craft can't compete with other great American crime films of the era (I.E. Mean Streets, The French Connection, and Coppola's own The Conversation).
½ January 5, 2017
An incredible film. The directing is spot on and Pacino and De Niro are incredible. A great sequel to the orginal Godfather. One of the greatest movies of all time.
December 30, 2016
Regarded as the best sequel of all time, And rightfully so. A true masterwork!
December 26, 2016
Second best movie I have ever seen.
December 15, 2016
This film was an enigma at the time. Sequels weren't really around like today. Most people judge this as a rare breed. A sequel better than the original. I slightly disagree. It's good but not as good as the original.
The film has two timelines which can be confusing for the viewer as we switch between the two.
One timeline focuses on the early life of Vito Carleone, his childhood in Sicilly. His arrival in New York and rise amongst the Italian American community to Godfather status in the first film.
Robert De Niro plays Vito in young adulthood.
The second timeline follows Don Michael Carleone (Al Pacino) and his grip on the family after the second world war.
Some interesting scenes are witnessed in Cuba with the revolution of Fidel Castro.
De Niro and Pacino put in electrifying performances in their respective segments.
The production does look very polished with some memorable scenes and cinematography.
Where as the first Godfather film focused on the solidity of the Carleone family here we see the grip of Michael Carleone on the family fall apart.
Well worth the effort of the three hours plus running time. Director Francis Ford Copolla strikes cinema gold again.
Grassi.
December 14, 2016
The Godfather Part 2 is the compelling sequel the godfather needed, the film has a very layered plot, and a shocking climax, the film also seems to benefit from its mirror plot between father and son, the film also has some very strong acting mainly from Al Pacino and Robert De Niro, this film is a must see for everyone that has at least seen the original first.
½ December 14, 2016
I'm very conflicted about making a final judgement on The Godfather: Part II based on my first time watching it. After I initially watched the first film I thought it was only OK, and definitely not my kind of film. However when I revisited it, I found it was basically a masterpiece. My initial impression of Part 2 is similar to Part 1, it has elements that are excellent but I don't know how much I liked watching it. Even though the drama in this film is within the family and not from the outside, it felt oddly LESS personal. I wasn't sympathizing with Michael like I did in the first movie, even though he was facing opponents from every side. But I want to watch again, because I think when I go back I might appreciate more of the subtlety in what Michael is doing. The part of the film that I found most interesting was actually the flashbacks to Vito's rise to power. I had some minor quibbles with the way it was presented, but most of that stuff was fascinating. De Niro is stellar, and he gets some of the best moments in the film. I'm still trying to decide how I felt about the structure of The Godfather: Part II. The interweaving of Vito's past with Michael's present didn't always make sense to me, and some of the awkward time jumps were jarring. However, I recognize there is quality in this film, I can see the elements that people enjoyed, I just need more time with it and perhaps my appreciation for it will grow.
½ December 4, 2016
This was by far better than the first one! The story was enthralling the entire 3 hours and 22 minutes, the music was better, and the story had better closure as well. I loved the last scenes with the Corleone family and Michael reflecting on where he was headed at one point in his life and where he ended up (at least that was my interpretation of those scenes). It definitely wasn't meant to be a feel good show, but it was great storytelling. Not sure about following this one up with the less liked third installment.
October 31, 2016
Puntaje Original: 9.5

Lo más cercano a la perfección de una película. Es muy difícil hacer una secuela mejor que la original y mucho más difícil si hablamos de El Padrino. Sin duda este es un hito histórico de la cinematografía.
½ October 22, 2016
Wow! Don't remember being blown away by the first as much as I was with this. A lot of it tbh made me think of The Sopranos and Mafia. So many characters and a complicated plot but it's nice that it doesn't dumb it down for the viewers. Great pacing. Found myself excited for the other timeline.
October 3, 2016
The greatest sequel ever made. Do I need to say more? Robert DeNiro gives the best performance of his career. Well deserving of the Oscar. Al Pacino is just as excellent as he was in the original. The phenomenal performances, helped by a masterfully written script, make "The Godfather, Part 2" a triumph in every sense of the word.
½ September 4, 2016
It is very difficult continues a perfect work, but coppola succeeded, "the Godfather, Part II" may not be the perfect embodiment of cinema as its predecessor, but it is a spectacular film, as sublime photographs, screen elements of this trilogy are perfect, all the features of the characters, the extras, to the furniture contrasts with the scene, and the soundtrack of this film is something amazing, I discussed in my previous review of part I on the technical part of the film, which is still impeccable, along with the performances, good, if not here we have Marlon de niro, who although are Supla lack godfather, leaves us stuck in its moments of action, and Al Pacino, well, forget it .... the only sin here is the script, which although very good, contrasting the beginning of the corleone family to its maximum moment of crisis, but the script does not hold as the first, and at times becomes confused, and has 20 minutes more movies , which in a way are put to good use, and in the end he presents us with a scene set credit, to stay in our heads during the I5 years to part III, watch this trilogy is more than a movie, it is to learn about cinema.
September 1, 2016
if I have to explain my rating,you don't like movies.
August 31, 2016
Classic !! Delivers a more diverse and detailed premise than its predecessor
August 28, 2016
A rare treat, a sequel as good, maybe even a little better than the original.

9.9/10 Stars!
August 26, 2016
Truly a great film with superb direction and a career defining performance from Robert De Niro.
August 18, 2016
I liked this one better than the first one since it's a bigger, more epic film instead of just a mere gangster movie. I liked the whole plot line with Vito Corleone and how he migrated to America and the struggles he had to face when young. But still, for the most part, the story didn't really interest me.
August 13, 2016
Excellent performances all round. Sequel which is slightly better than the original.
August 12, 2016
The Godfather Part 2 is a brilliant crime drama that sets the stage of amazing sequels that top the original with two investing storylines about the hopeful tale of Vito Corleone of the past and the tragic tale of Michael Corleone
August 9, 2016
So riveting to see Michael Corleone's journey from when we first see him as the young war hero who isn't involved in the family business in The Godfather to the man at the end of this movie, who SPOILER ALERT, has his own brother killed. Once again, brilliant filmaking. Brilliant everything.