Gold - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gold Reviews

June 16, 2017
Surprisingly, "Gold" takes some original ways to drive its "real story" into something more different from all the Wall Street/american dream movies genre. Largely due to the massively energic and fisical Matthew McConaughey performance, we might have never seen him like this before. The remain cast is good but actors like BDH and Toby Kebbell are wasted and some little things avoid this movie to be even better.
June 12, 2017
gua nga ngerti pas detik detik endingnya pada sebuah surat yang maksudnya apaan yak?
June 9, 2017
nothing amazing, but it's a good way to burn a Friday night. Well scripted and well acted.
½ June 5, 2017
Great acting the story is entertaining really enjoyed the first 3/4 of the movie but with how great that was the ending dragged a little
June 4, 2017
Yes, really well acted but I couldn't get interested in the plot no matter how hard I tried.
½ June 2, 2017
Matthew McConaughey has been on fire the last few years, but his last few films haven't been too hot either. Free State of Jones was a total flop, and when I saw the trailers for this film I was a little worried it would be a mess as well. I've enjoyed what McConaughey has brought to the table the last few years, but I do think his Oscar win is getting to his head just slightly. Nevertheless, I went into this film with a lot of optimism. This film isn't terrible, but there aren't many great moments as well. You can tell McConaughey is going all in on this film, and he shines throughout, but his supporting cast is what really brings this movie down for him. The premise is very intriguing, and there are some great scenes, but there isn't a since of urgency when it comes to the other performers or the director at times. There were also a few times where I was a bit lost and bored, and you never want to have your audience go through either. I did enjoy Bryce Dallas Howard a lot, and I feel like she was a tad underused, especially towards the first act. This isn't a great movie, nor is it a terrible one, but it is awfully average.
½ June 1, 2017
Proper Perspective: Keeping with the recent trend of "true" stories that have an interesting story to tell, but are told and unfolded as movie of the week quality films with big screen budgets; Gold is not a bad movie, but is ultimately forgettable. Let's talk about Gold...

Official Synopsis: Kenny Wells, a prospector desperate for a lucky break, teams up with a similarly eager geologist and sets off on a journey to find gold in the uncharted jungle of Indonesia.

Plot: A prospector in the late 1980's has a dream about gold in Indonesia, then teams with a well-known geologist to make the "largest gold find of all-time."

Take: The story follows Kenny Wells (Matthew McConaughey) a third generation prospector that is basically at rock bottom. He has a dream about gold in Indonesia, then uses his last dime (and girlfriend's jewelry) to fund a trip and start up dig to find the gold. There he teams with Michael Acosta (Edgar Ramirez) and the locals to find the gold, while his team back home sells the prospect of the find to raise capital. Wells girlfriend Kay (Bryce Dallas Howard) is in the movie and everyone around him tries to take advantage of his find including a hotshot in New York (Corey Stoll), a beautiful woman (Rachael Taylor), and a successful business man (Bruce Greenwood).

Overall this is very paint buy numbers. A "hero" character is down on his luck, hits rock bottom, and then stumbles into the thing that will fix all. He loses the girl in the process and has to fight to save his name and credibility. In the end he gets everything he might have lost.

Again, this is a very generic movie, but two not very generic things stood out to me. One while watching the movie and another after researching the real story.

First, for 75% of the movie the character of Kenny Wells was extremely unlikeable. There was little to nothing that was redeemable about the character until a random, sudden switch. Maybe this was done on purpose, maybe this was just poor storytelling. The character of Mike Acosta was very likeable. Very, very likeable. Then, all the sudden it was revealed he was the actual bad guy and Wells was the innocent victim in the story, leading to him getting the money, the girl, and basically everything positive in the end.

Secondarily, a quick Google search shows that Kenny Wells was actually David Walsh, Mike Acosta was actually Michael de Guzman, and an American company was actually a Canadian company. Why even make the movie?

Across the board the acting was very good. McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club, Interstellar) is always great, Ramirez (Hands of Stone, Joy) is one of the best working actors today, and the rest of the ensemble was solid.

Recommendation: I caught this one on Redbox because it was in theaters for a cup of coffee where I am locally, so the cost of $1.50 was not bad. This is not dissimilar to The Founder, The Free State of Jones, and other true event movies of recent years. Check it out if you want to see a movie...

How about a Watergate movie, but set in South Africa, Regan is a Mockingbird, with Woodward and Bernstein played by Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen?
June 1, 2017
Entertaining enough "inspired-by-true-events" story. Matthew McConaughey was superb as usual (and quite unrecognisable)
May 31, 2017
Nothing close to breath taking in the Indonesian forest as well as in the NYC broad rooms full of crocs. Matthew Seemed like to show his butt in movies.
½ May 31, 2017
Matthew McConaughey is impressive, as usual; so is Edgar Ramirez. We found the movie very entertaining and enjoyed it.
May 31, 2017
Awful movie. Waste of time and money.

I love Matthew McConaughey and was looking forward to this movie because of the subject matter and plot, but it turned out to be a dud for me.
½ May 30, 2017
Rating: 67%
Though it does come up short regarding the possibilities its story could go, Gold is still a mildly compelling biopic with a great performance from McConaughey.
May 30, 2017
Some good moments but flat overall. Few nuggets in this one! A tad racist too
May 28, 2017
Great flick! Although, sometimes it hit a little too close to home on portrayals of sales and experts...
May 26, 2017
Gold tries really hard to strike it rich, but it comes up a bit short as it's buildup unwinds. Kudos to McConaughey for giving his all to make one of the most schlubby, greasy, unlikeable characters at least somewhat likeable and relatable.
½ May 24, 2017
This was a good movie. I absolutely liked it a lot.
½ May 22, 2017
This movie reminded me of American Hustle in that they were based on real life events and both featured a usually good looking actor taking on a much less than flattering look for the film. Both Matthew McConaughey and Christian Bale took on physical alterations to become balding and potbellied protagonists with questionable morals and motivations. Both plots involved rise and fall events of the character's life works: Bale as a con-man, McConaughey as a prospector chasing a dream. McConaughey is convincing as Kenny Wells, a man who risks his last dollar on a gold mine promising riches and fame. During one scene he says it isn't about the money, it's about the gold. He proved this by turning down $300 million dollars because his name and the name of his company would no longer be connected to the mine. Throughout the first half of the film as Kenny's good fortune rises and rises you are waiting for the other shoe to drop, which it does and he seemingly loses it all again. The movie ends with an unexpected last scene lifting Kenny's fortune once again.
½ May 20, 2017
Waste of time! Slow boring movie! Lost interest not even halfway into the movie. Wish I could give it 0 stars!
May 20, 2017
Great movie! Interesting story line. It goes to show how people's ambition can either make us or break us. Not really much of a reviewer but I just had to give my two cents on this film because of the bad ratings it has gotten. Not sure how that's possible. It's a good film!
½ May 20, 2017
Long story short: the director (Stephen Gaghan) gave the opportunity to McConaughey to shine on screen, and he did a wonderfull job. Not 4 complete stars due to a lack of characterization of the film, making not really clear "how we should watch it". A pleasant experience.