Gold - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gold Reviews

September 4, 2018
I really enjoyed this movie. For me this was a case of the critics getting it wrong.
½ August 27, 2018
A bit like Wolf of Wall Street goes on a gold rush. In fact it's a way better cinematic experience than Wold of Wall St with a top starring role and less obnoxious posturing from all concerned and a lot more content. So yeah that was an unfair comparison. Overall the film is disjointed, uneven and it was hard to feel much warmth for the characters or see any character development. Ultimately the plot is pretty thin too. A guy gets duped by some fraud. This thing kind of happens a lot so, it's not that incredible. A reasonable film but not one you'll be desperate to return to nor one that will stick in the memory.
August 17, 2018
In 1981, Kenny Wells (Matthew McConaughey) helps to run a prospecting company, Washoe, with his father whom he clearly admires. But seven years after his father dies, the business and Kenny are nearly broke after having lost the office, so Kenny and his colleagues now work out of his girlfriend's bar. Kenny, now living with his girlfriend, Kay (Bryce Dallas Howard), has a dream that leads him to Indonesia where he meets up with geologist Michael Acosta (Édgar Ramírez). Both are struggling financially, but Kenny manages to convince Mike to go into business. Kenny then flies back to America and raises the promised money to finance their mine. Unfortunately, the mine struggles and fails to show any gold, so the workers soon leave until Mike persuades them to come back with the promise of fresh water. Kenny contracts malaria and is bed-ridden for the next few weeks. When he finally wakes up, Mike reveals that they have had a strike and now have a gold mine. After celebrating, Kenny goes back to America where he sets up a new office for Washoe and is approached by a major Wall Street bank. Mike accompanies Kenny to their meeting and, after a disagreement, decides to bring some of the bank associates to Indonesia in order to show them the mine. This wins the bank over and it invests $20 million in Washoe, leading the venture to become a public company. Washoe proves to be a huge success and increases 70 points in its first day on the stock market. Kenny's life becomes celebratory as he goes from one party to the next, but Kay, fearing that he will be tricked and cut out, argues with him and then leaves after seeing him flirting with another woman, Rachael Hill. He is interrupted by Mark Hancock, a high-profile executive of a major mining company, who approaches him regarding buying the company. Kenny meets with him the next day and is offered $300 million for a portion of the mine, but his company's name would be removed. Offended by this, Kenny declines the offer and storms out. The next day on his way into the office Mike phones to tell Kenny that the Indonesian Government has closed the mine; it is also revealed that a previous US President sits on the board in Hancock's company and that he is a friend of the Indonesian president Suharto...

Rotten Tomatoes critical consensus reads, "Gold boasts an impressively committed performance from Matthew McConaughey, but it's just one glittering nugget in an otherwise uneven heap of cinematic silt."

"Gold" is loosely based on the true story of the 1993 Bre-X mining scandal, when a massive gold deposit was supposedly discovered in the jungles of Indonesia; however, for legal reasons and to enhance the appeal of the film, character names and story details were changed. "Gold" never lifts off the ground in my point of view. It´s uninspiring in many ways and static despite dynamics in the script, plus the topic doesn´t excite me at all. Matthew McConaughey is just doing some sort of caricature that feels "fake", maybe due to uneven direction since McConaughey is normally a very solid actor. And the "Inspired by true events" didn´t add very much for me. "Gold" is average and forgettable.
½ June 4, 2018
It is really good movie,and very good actors! It is true 'no greed no humbug'.
½ May 26, 2018
Probably the most boring movie I have seen since "The Postman". It moves along at a slower than glacially pace and it is truly mind numbing to endure the full two hours.
April 7, 2018
this is as enjoyable to watch as anything. not a 5 bc there are movies that have been created more craftily. but really exciting, not action but exciting bc of the rush that is portrayed by the main characters. if you wanna hump matt mc dont bother bc he is not aytractive in this in a physical way at all. if you like hope after hitting rock bottom this is your flick.
March 25, 2018
matthew is the real "gold" I like his performance. and this movie is just a wow to me because I am indonesian but I didnt know much about the "newport" , this helps me knowing about it better. please dont take gold from my country!
½ March 10, 2018
Good mOvie, though you feEl dooped youself.
February 14, 2018
GOLD
i cannot understand how this movie flopped so badly? I have a love of film and this movie is beautifully shot, acted and edited. McConaughey is still in his golden mojo streak coming off the back of "wolf of wall street" and "Dallas Buyers club" , if you didn't drag yourself to watch this movie because of his performance in those 2 movies alone i cannot relate to you here!.
It flirts with the American dream formula, especially in the comeback story in the style of a Rocky Balboa.
Kenny Wells's (McConaughey) grandfather had formed the gold-mining company with his own bare hands in one of the original goldrushes of Nevada, his father had then turned the company into a genuine player in the 60s and 70s and now it's McConaughey's turn but alas he is a bit of a scatterbrain and even worse.. a complete alcoholic. His heart is in the right place and he has amazing drive, but cannot compete in the modern dull world of small percentages and calculated sobriety. i will not go on to divulge the entire plot of the movie only to say , similar to his grandfather he ends up in the wild frontier searching for gold in new areas of the world on pure gut instinct and trust in a great enigmatic character by the name of Mike Acosta, it's a story for dreamers and a warning call of the dangers of getting exactly what you want. Don't listen to the nay-sayers, if you really enjoy American cinema this is a huge hidden golden nugget that has just shown up in your pan ! Be prepared for rethinks by critics in 20 years once word of mouth takes hold of this great film
January 28, 2018
Great achting, nicely filmed But You watch it without sympathising with the main characters. Fools gold?
½ January 21, 2018
Filme bom, atuação ótima do MM, mas roteiro previsível demais.
January 15, 2018
(5.0 out of 6)- No heart of Gold here
When we see which places we have to go to get what's within out to do it on time. When somethings we don't see unexpectedly happen that takes us in another place that we try to get out. When we see what other places others are in to not care whats in when they care what's not out in others. When when we see what we can resort in doing when there is not much out there to settle for one place or gamble on another. When we know what places to go and whom to deal with when they know such places in and out to guide us there. When we see how far deep in such places we have to go to drill such things out to do it on a tight budget. When such places we are in back home we are in the red if it doesn't work out. When being in such places for long, what we don't see what we put in can takes out when it's a disease.

When what places that didn't gamble on us we see they do now when we show we can bring in what they want out profit. When we see we made it to high places from low places to bring in more people who want more out of our company when it's stocks & shares. When what places profit takes us we see what accepts us in and doesn't accept us go out. When what places we ride high into we see what others get out when they are gold diggers not like us. When what others don't have vision of such places they are in, we see they are best suited out when they prefer low places. When what places money takes us we see we get out in the open what we want in with. When we see what places are come from to buy in to what we have to only get us out when it's our name they are after to reject. When what places others have greater powers in controlling we see we lost out on a great opportunity to not sell when the going gets high to only come crashing down. When others being in higher places we see they hate competition to only have it out for us.

When we don't necessarily know what places we get in or end up in to not know what is out there. When we see what other places others come from to know whats in and out of such places to know whats best. When we see we can come in low places but still have alittle fight in us to come back out. When what places & connections others know we see the right people to turn to when others in high places bails those out in bad decisions to have the right investor on our side. When what places we have to prove to those is merely on character when what we see others are into when it's danger, fun, excitement, and pleasure we dish out. When we see that we get a second chance to be in such places to only bring those in to only bring those out back again for the ride. When others who believed in us and saw out our plans & visions to only be in such places with us to cheer us on. When we see what we set out to arrive at such places are what others give into when it's awards, can't bid higher then us and those who are untouchable when they struck a gold mine. When we don't see what place we are in that looks good for other people who are in the same business to be in to see that we are extracted like gold to be that model prospector others wish to get out in the open when they struck gold in future interest and such long history that keeps such businesses in the money for long.

When what we don't see others see in testing out when such places hold Fool's Gold. When we trust the reputation, systems and practices of those deep in the business when not many are in such places to not point out flaws or fraud. When what others make us see and others are the places they can't see that we see and ride such places high until it's enough to get out before we are figured out. When what we set out to belief in what's out there in such places to hold we see there was nothing. When we see what places we reach we get out to take with us and dump out in other places when others kept their side of the bargain/deal to get us out.
January 2, 2018
A very interesting true story about how greed makes us see what we want to see. Similar to the founder - an American Dreamer who finds the darker side of the American Dream
½ December 29, 2017
Shockingly low score on here,
Matthew McConaughey
as Kenny Wells is a tour de force. Proving once again how watchable and memorable he can be.

The story is the basic what goes up must come down but it is thoroughly entertaining.
½ December 25, 2017
3.5/5 stars

An interesting story with a strong performance by Matthew McConaughey.

The star if the film is the plot. It twists and turns and you never quite know where it was heading but the ride is enjoyable.
November 5, 2017
I tried to like it because Matthew McConaughey is such a good actor, but it was just too boring.
October 26, 2017
One of the better surprises I have seen in awhile. The reviews do not do this movie justice. The movie makes you feel emotions for the character which make the movie believable.
October 24, 2017
Are you guys crazy? This was a great film!! I LOVED IT! Full of unexpected turns. Fabulous inhabitation of a character. This is a great film. Loved the ending! See it!
October 14, 2017
It's alright. Nothing special.