Good Will Hunting - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Good Will Hunting Reviews

June 18, 2018
Perfect direction, a rich, thought-provoking story and flawless acting. It gets better every time I see it. I never thought I would equate 5 stars to anything Ben Affleck did, but he and Matt Damon hit it out of the park with Good Will Hunting.
June 16, 2018
My number 1 all time favorite. This movie has crafted one of the most relatable character arguably in film history, Will Hunting. Matt Damon gives an astonishing performance which has stuck with me since the 1st time I have seen this movie. I myself have gone through many of the difficult experiences Will has endured. How could we not talk about Good Will Hunting with out talking about the magnificent performance from the great Robin Williams. Such an astounding and heart breaking performance, it is no suprise Robin garnered an Academy Award for this role, may he rest in peace. The acting is phenomenal, the cinematography is excellent, this movie just gets EVERYTHING right. A masterpiece. 10/10.
½ April 14, 2018
damon is subjectively miscast as unlikeable will hunting, who you are meant to care about; but the film as a whole is beautifully crafted with sheer brilliant performances. the script - one scene in particular where robin william's character lectures hunting on his inexperience - is though-provoking. simple yet intelligent.
March 15, 2018
Good Will Hunting is a 1997 drama that made 225.9 million dollars in box office earnings. It follows the story of Will Hunting, a 20 year old genius working as a janitor at MIT. While all his friends want him to do something with his life, he wants to stay where he is. After Will solves a graduate level math problem, Professor Gerald Lambeau is impressed with him, but Will soon gets arrested. Professor Lambeau makes a deal to keep Will out of jail, he has to study math with him and go to therapy once a week. Will refuses to take the therapy sessions seriously and multiple therapists refuse to talk to him again after only one session. Lambeau eventually goes to his former college roommate, Dr. Sean Maguire. Dr. Maguire gets Will to open up to him and helps him overcome his past and find what he wants. The purpose of the movie Good Will Hunting is to show that you only regret the chances you didn't take. I will show the purpose through plot, character, and conflict.
You only regret the chances you didn't take. That's how Dr. Sean Maguire feels about missing one of the greatest games in baseball history "to see about a girl." After will asks him if he really missed game six of the World Series to have a drink with a girl, he tells him, "I don't regret the 18 years I was married to Nancy. I don't regret the six years I had to give up counseling when she got sick. And I don't regret the last years when she got really sick. And I sure as hell don't regret missin' the damn game. That's regret."
Throughout the film, Will's friends all want him to go to school, get a job, and do something with his life. Especially his best friend Chuckie. Every morning Chuckie hopes that Will's not home, that he finally left. He tells Will "Look, you're my best friend, so don't take this the wrong way. In twenty years, if you're still livin' here, comin' over to my house to watch the Patriots games, still workin' construction, I'll fuckin' kill you." "Hanging around here is a fuckin' waste of your time." He knows that Will is too smart to waste his life working construction when he could have an amazing job. Any one of their friends would kill for the opportunities Will has, yet he does nothing.
The main antagonist in Good Will Hunting is Will. The only thing holding him back from going to school and getting an amazing job is himself. When Professor Lambeau tells him he can be released as long as he does math and goes to therapy, Will laughs. He agrees to do the math but refuses to go to therapy. When he eventually gives in, he still doesn't take the therapy sessions seriously. He thinks he'll be happy where he is even though his friends know he's going to regret it eventually. After he talks to Dr. Maguire he realizes he needs to take the opportunity he's given.
Some people say that the theme of Good Will Hunting is education, but that's only part of it. Yes Will needed to go to school, but he also needed the therapy sessions. Skylar was also a big part of the movie. Will needed the therapy sessions and Skylar to realize what he would be missing if he didn't take the opportunity. It wasn't just about school.
Good Will Hunting was successful in showing the theme of regretting chances you never took. It was shown through Dr. Sean Maguire's character and throughout the plot of the movie. At the beginning he didn't care about his future but eventually he learned that he would regret passing up the opportunities that he was given.
½ February 18, 2018
An astounding script and great storytelling combine to form a beautifully emotional film.
January 17, 2018
I watched this movie a few years ago and it blew me away. I really liked the end.
½ January 6, 2018
I made an account to rate this movie. Screw this movie. Cliffhanger endings are garbage. The only thing this movie is good for is ripping your heart out, making you question you life, and then leaving you at the alter.
½ December 29, 2017
***TIMELESS, THOUGHT-PROVOKING, COMING-OF-AGE FILM WITH BEST ENSEMBLE CAST***
December 26, 2017
M-F-O

8.5

[Gus Van Sant]
December 21, 2017
Matt Damon and Ben Affleck deliver a strong screenplay with witty but flawed characters, several memorable and iconic moments, and not only that, they both deliver strong performances. But none of that even touches Robin Williams best performance ever put on screen, an incredibly powerful but nuanced performance that delivers every ounce of dialogue with careful precision.

5/5 stars
½ December 18, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Inteligente, profunda, emotiva y reflexiva; con una brillante actuación de Robin Williams.
½ December 13, 2017
Il vero protagonista di Good Will Hunting è l'insieme dei personaggi e la solida sceneggiatura, scritta da due menti giovani e brillanti che non vedevano l'ora di far sentire la propria voce attraverso una storia profonda ed incisiva. Il film nel complesso è molto coinvolgente e terreno, con un messaggio molto solido che traspare soprattutto nel finale. Quello che secondo me manca fin dal principio è il coinvolgimento visivo, caratterizzato solamente da qualche scelta registica funzionale alla narrazione e qualche geniale taglio di montaggio che lega i perfetti dialoghi dei personaggi. Nonostante questo piccolo neo il film funziona, riuscendo a trasmettere emozioni sincere dall'inizio alla fine.
December 12, 2017
arrogant kid with too much choice has a hissy fit about life
November 29, 2017
This is my favorite film of all time. Fabulous plot that arcs showing the realization of the main character's true potential and delivers thevery best of Robin Williams.
November 12, 2017
Robin Williams gives the best performance of his career alongside memorable performances from Matt Damon and Ben Affleck. This masterpiece will have you laughing and crying and by the end feeling reborn.
½ October 30, 2017
Good story, movie and Oscar winning job by Robin Williams.
Edited . Watched a second time . Improved rating by half a star .
Fun to watch a young Damon and affleck :)
½ October 27, 2017
With all of its accolades over the years, I was expecting more. Good acting from Matt Damon and Robin Williams. Minnie Driver as a lead? I believe she was miscast, and the product of nepotism or a casting couch. This film is dated and unbelievable. There is never a moment that the viewer believes that Matt Damon's character is real. The whole film is somewhat overacted. The beginning tends to drag on and on. "We get it, the protagonist has behavioural issues, move on already!" We are introduced to Robin Williams character late in the film and it doesn't provide much time to build character depth. This is a film that is not at all bad, but it isn't that good either.
½ October 13, 2017
Matt Damon and Robin Williams give the arguably best performance in their careers in this extremely subtle, but no less powerful character study. The director, the actors, the screenwriters- it's nothing less than emotional brilliance.
October 13, 2017
Good Will Hunting's characters, realism, heart and humour all fuse together perfectly, resulting in an outstandingly human film.
½ October 12, 2017
The film has good intentions and ideas where they are best depicted in amazing scenes involving Matt Damon as the titular character and Robin Williams as professor Sean McGuire (in his best dramatic role). Their chemistry is very strong and the ideas and values they talk about are both fascinating and engaging.
I wish that this whole film's plot could've just solely been about these two, but disappointingly, the screenplay written by Matt Damon and Ben Affleck is too incompetent (it's a good thing they stuck to acting I suppose). In between the thought-provoking scenes involving Damon and Williams is a cliché-ridden story told with characters that are not engaging nor have enough backstory for us, the audience, to care about. All I need to say is that it is a romance plot with the titular character and a girl and there's a misunderstood fight between them and....ugh....yeah. It's that same old 'song and dance' we all achingly know.
In fact, the effect the film had on me was a tug-of-war, pulling me back and forth between smart characters with smart dialogue and dumb characters with dumb dialogue.
I'm teetering on the fence for "Good Will Hunting". I want to like this film, but I just can't stomach its amateur plot peppered with intelligent scenes. It (sadly) comes across as Hollywood trying to relate with the smart crowd and failing, which in turn, makes for a phony film.