Good Will Hunting - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Good Will Hunting Reviews

½ December 2, 2016
I loved every minute of it. Perfectly written, perfectly acted, perfect movie.
December 1, 2016
A heartfelt and deeply honest drama with great performances and an excellent script written by Matt Damon and Ben Affleck that doesn't even let us notice how attached to the characters we become - and I guess we can all forgive it for that sentimental "it's not your fault" scene.
November 22, 2016
One of the smartest, most articulate and thoughtful films I've ever seen, Good Will Hunting's simple premise is brimming with brilliantly poignant performances that offer wisdom and sensitivity.
November 19, 2016
Not my favorite but not bad
November 16, 2016
I loved this movie! Matt Damon really gave it his all, Robin Williams was even better! This is a very emotional movie and can really trap you into the characters life.
November 15, 2016
From the cover and the description this film wasnt very appealing. I went on to watch anyhow and how deceiving was it. I really enjoyed this film. Some amazing performances from all the cast. And some very inspiring messages and true to life facts come out of this film. Brilliant.
November 11, 2016
Good Will Hunting is the quintessential indie film with a brilliant script and fantastic performances from Matt Damon and Robin Williams.
November 8, 2016
One of the greatest movies I've ever seen. This is arguably Affleck, Damon, and Williams best work.

[POTENTIAL SPOILERS]

The only thing I wish I could've seen from this movie is, at the end, I wish they would have filmed the reunion between Will and Skylar. The relationship they developed and the way they split in the film left me wanting to see that story fulfilled. However, that's probably just nitpicking on my part. This movie is still one of the best movies I have ever seen.
November 6, 2016
Gus van Sant directs the picture written by Matt Damon and Ben Affleck Good Will Hunting. At MIT college, a prodigious math professor Gerald Lambeau (Stellan Skarsgard) posts an extremely difficult math problem on a board in the hall. The next day he finds it to be solved, but nobody knows who solved it. He posts another one, and finds the person who has solved the problem that took him two years to solve, is the janitor at the school. The janitor is Will Hunting (Matt Damon), and Lambeau instantly wants to learn more about the boy and his abilities. He discovers the boy has a troubled past and after an incident of assaulting a police officer, is set to go to prison.

Lambeau talks to the judge and agrees to let the boy off the hook if agrees to work with him on math problems and see a therapist once a week. Lambeau takes him to several therapists, all of which who are on not able to cope with Will's standoff attitude and inability to cooperate. As a last resort, he takes him to his old college roommate Sean Maguire (Robin Williams) who is a therapist teaching at a local community college. Sean instantly identifies that the boy will challenge others to avoid talking about his own problems and fears. The two began a physiological chess match of wits as Sean hopes to unravel the mystery and reasons for Will's persona. Will begins dating Skylar (Minnie Driver) and she too challenges him in ways he has never known. Sean is forced to balance all these issues and keep Lambeau from trying to push him in the way he wants, which is a math job with an elite company. Lambeau fears Sean will be content to keep working his construction job and getting drunk with his friends played by Ben and Casey Affleck.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste, and this movie demonstrates how such a thing can occur. Even the greatest genius may require a sense of direction, guidance and nurturing. Sean challenges Will and knows how fragile a mind can be. The strategy he uses to get Will to self-evaluate while diving into his past and psyche was what makes this film so great. Will despite being one of the smartest people, would never had the chance or never even been known had he not been given the chance to be counseled by Sean. Those who already have all these opportunities take them for granted and do not see the other side of things, which this movie depicts. The film shows how a person's circumstances, past and state really give a person an advantage when it comes to academics.

Damon provides a great performance as the whiz kid who is misguided, defensive, and believes he knows the whole world despite not experiencing any of it. The chemistry between all the characters is simply astounding. Minnie Driver was sexy and a great counterpart to Damon. Good Will Hunting does not simply focus on improving Will as every character goes through development as they interact with each other. Sean is forced to evaluate how he has set his life after the loss of his wife. Gerald comes to realize his selfish attitude, and is able to improve his relationship with Sean. Skylar evaluates herself and the complexities and challenges of school and relationships. Gus van Sant's direction is superb as he turns what could be a boring movie, into an excellent balance of comedy and drama. The film rightfully earns best screen play, and best supporting actor with Robin Williams and was also nominated for best picture, best supporting actress (Minnie Driver), and best director to name a few. Good Will Hunting is one of my favorite all time films and it holds up time and time again.

-11.6.2016
½ November 6, 2016
Better than almost all recent movies in this generation
½ October 26, 2016
One of my favorite movies. All the characters were well developed and the actors did a great job! Great storyline and a unique one as well.
½ October 23, 2016
Sensational and satisfying film that won Matt Damon and Ben Affleck Academy Awards for their original screenplay. Robin Williams also picked up a statue for his supporting turn. Everyone is in top form in this film that is one of the best films of 1997.
October 20, 2016
One of those rare movies where the story is so natural and effortless that an ending is almost beside the point. You're so invested in the characters and the choices they make that you're prepared to follow them even to a potential unsatisfying climax (don't fear, though, because the ending is perfect).
October 10, 2016
This has to be one of the best movies made , not just because of the storyline but because of how two can create such an outstanding performance. The late Robin Williams knew how to make people laugh but this is a movie where he can make people cry, the great man himself really inspired a generation...
5/5
½ October 4, 2016
Whenever we as humans see someone with something we don't have, we imagine that they must have the best life. That because they have what we don't, there life is automatically better that ours. But that is not always true. Just because a man drives a better car than you, doesn't mean that he is going home to a better life. Good Will Hunting speaks to this concept in a unique way. By showing us a glimpse of a boy who could have anything, and yet is content with a life that is less than spectacular to say the least. And it is about another man's journey to show him that he is worth more.
Will Hunting (Matt Damon) is a peculiar boy. He has the ability to think harder and more critically that anyone around him. But he would rather work as a janitor at Harvard, than attend. But one day while he is working, he sees a math theorem on a chalkboard and he solves it. As he is leaving, a Professor Lambau (Stellan Skarsgård) spots him and upon realizing what will has done, he proceeds to track will down, finding him in jail, due to Will's unruly attitude. The Professor convinces the Judge to put Will under his care on the condition that Will attend some math classes with him and that he see a therapist, Sean Maguire (Robin Williams)
This movie does a very good job at developing the relationship between its characters. They are all centered around Will, giving the movie a well-grounded feel. The movie knows what it is trying to prove and does it very well. Stellan Skarsgård's character has problem the worst relationship with Will, but that is only because he is the only one who could be seen as the antagonist. He wants Will to become the best he can be using his remarkable ability to think and learn. But in doing this, Skarsgård's character neglects Will's mental health and only thinks about what is good for his future. Robin Williams' character is different and it is his relationship with Will that carries this movie. In Williams' portrayal of physiatrist Sean Maguire, we see a man who character sees past Will incredible ability to think and can tell that he has had a hard life and that he is damaged into thinking he is less than what he is. He helps Will, first by showing him that just because he knows all the facts about everything, doesn't mean he know everything about everything. He is then able to help Will to realize that what happen to him in his childhood doesn't need to dictate his life.
If there is something wrong with the movie, I would say it is the conflict. The idea is that Will needs to see a therapist because Professor Lambeau bailed him out of jail. But this is quickly forgotten as soon as we meet Sean. It just gives us the idea that things would go right back to the way they were if they were allowed to with no consequences.
This movie does a great job of showing us that we are more than just the thoughts in our brains. We matter, to ourselves and others, and that is worth more that money and fame. But it is important to be reminded of that from time to time. We like to feel loved and this movie helps us to realize that.
September 30, 2016
A very heartfelt and profound movie that is bolstered by strong performances from Williams and Damon, as well as a terrific script written by Damon and Affleck.
September 25, 2016
AMAZING. It's really one of the best movies I have watched in a while. The acting was exquisite. All, absolutely all scenes with Damon and Williams were PERFECT - a mix on humor, sincerity, wit, warmth, and 1000 more emotions. The music was great. And the story line keeps you on your toes for the whole runtime. It even managed to bypass the very few possible-cliché scenes/plot twists by having brilliant delivery from the cast. I highly recommend this movie.
September 11, 2016
Damn great script and a touching story
September 8, 2016
Definitely the most "real" Robin Williams performance I think I've seen. A bit dated with 90's sensibilities, I guess, but what do I know? Still a really funny, somewhat touching movie.