Goya's Ghosts - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Goya's Ghosts Reviews

½ November 11, 2017
I do not agree at all with the "Critics Consensus". I know quite well Goya's work, and as a Tourist Guide in Madrid, I will recommend the film to all my customers. I do think that it is a good general overview of that time period, the plot is not confused at all, but ... of course, not 30 shots per minute
It is not an Action film, thanks God! The photografy is beautiful, the settings too, and yes, one needs to concentrate to follow the plot, is that so wrong? I loved it, and I am grateful to the producers for having done something so good.
½ May 9, 2017
A fantastic, beautiful, and riveting film.
February 21, 2017
Interesting Movie. It is more about the religious times and torture of people in the 1700s than Goya himself. It's not a true story but Im sure things like this happened back than.
½ December 19, 2016
I was expecting this movie to be actually about Goya! while it was about humans' ability of being inhuman, it didn't say much about Goya, as interesting an artist as he was.
Javier Bardem's performance is freaky as usual; Brilliant.
I feel sorry for Natallie Portman; why do they always cast her for such horrendous roles?
May 30, 2016
Not so much about Goya as a Spanish soap opera, even though the soap be dirty. Beautifully staged and brilliantly acted this little gem deserves a lot more than the critical drubbing it received even if only for the two leads. If you want to see Goya go to an art gallery if you want see an intriguing and often quite intense film,...watch this !
May 15, 2016
The unspeakable horrors and cruelty of the Spanish Inquisition comes across clearly here, even amidst the bloodshed or poverty of 19th century revolutionary Europe. Good performances all around and shot well, telling a suitably tragic but fair-handed story. In some senses, it reminds of 1973's 'Giordano Bruno.'
February 28, 2016
3 ud af 5 oliemalerier. Langtfra Formans bedste film, men jævnt underholdende og bestemt værd at se på grund af Bardem og (især) den 'grimme' ælling Portman, der her varmede op til at springe ud som sort oscar-svane tre år senere.
February 15, 2016
Beautifully mounted and well acted, Forman's final film lacks a focused narrative or consistent theme to make the most of its historical setting in a rapidly changing Spain.
January 16, 2016
It was okay if your really into Goya as an artist.
September 18, 2015
Natalie Portman's best role.
½ September 18, 2015
Confusing but the acting is good....nothing special.
September 1, 2015
I'm a little intrigued with this one. Plus, Natalie Portman is in it and it would be a treat to see her in something other than 'Star Wars.'
August 27, 2015
Quite an interesting story of people in Goya's life - I don't know enough about his work to say how much of the movie is based on images out of his paintings and drawings, but just to watch his process of art was worth the movie.
½ September 20, 2014
Super film. I see that I give it a much higher rating than most.
I've seen it twice now and enjoyed it both times.
It's painful, poignant, powerful.
I recommend it to all above age 15.
May 17, 2014
this is giving nightmares besides the ghosts.
March 17, 2014
Mais um filme cujo argumento se perdeu pelo caminho...
February 16, 2014
The only film I've seen in which Portman actually acts instead of moving around with a pained expression. A +
January 5, 2014
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
½ December 4, 2013
Bardem does a good job in a movie that, while not necessarily up to viewer expectations, gets the job done.