Grease - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Grease Reviews

½ June 15, 2018
Grease is a vapid, campy, so sweet for its own good, and over-the-top musical that has a terrible message, inconsistent storytelling, unfocused plot, and a stretched running length. But it features wonderful catchy songs, a charismatic and insanely energetic performance from John Travolta, who has an incredible chemistry with Olivia Newton-John, and characters that almost all of them are fleshed-out. If all these things aren't enough to make this movie charming what else could be?

(7/10)
June 9, 2018
Grease is a dated dance filled drag.

Grease is a movie that is more iconic than great filmmaking. From the cliche rife script to the ridiculous costumes, Grease is a dated mess that is more fun to laugh at than alongside. The music is fairly memorable, but a lot of the singing is rather weak. I think Grease is unfortunately a product of its time.

To expand upon this, I must say Grease is a mixed bag that parodies types from so many movies that came before it. From Marlon Brando's The Wild One to Fonzie's Happy Days, Grease just does not hold up compared to its predecessors. It tries to be West Side Story, but Grease falls short. Thankfully, better movies about Greasers would be released after Grease like The Outsiders. As a musical drama, Risky Business and Footloose are much more entertaining. I would recommend any of the aforementioned films before Grease.

I must note, Grease's main issue is the horrible miscast ensemble. Every single actor is apparently 30, 40, or 50 while they are supposed to be teenagers in high school! Everyone is simply too old for the part. You do not believe a minute of it.

Similarly, every actor and actress is overacting like you would not believe. It is not even a fun tongue in cheek level of sass, but just plain bad acting across the board.

Speaking of which, John Travolta is playing up his character way too much. Likewise, every side character is a nauseating stereotype of a wild teenager. Embarrassing levels of overacting in every scene. At least, Travolta could dance even though he could not act well yet or even sing that remarkably. Similar to Olivia Newton-John who can only sing nicely, while her dancing and acting leaves much to be desired. Grease manages a bad performance from every actor.

On the other hand, Stockard Channing is phenomenal as Rizzo. She acts, dances, and sings well throughout Grease. You believe her character even though she is also too old to be a high school teenager like the rest of the cast. She is Grease's saving grace.

In short, I recommend you skip Grease. It's quite dated and slow. The music is pretty, but the dance choreography is sloppy to say the least. Atrocious overacting meets bland characterizations. Grease is an oil slicked back mess.
May 22, 2018
Grease is a 1978 American musical romantic comedy film based on the musical of the same name. Written by Bronte Woodard and directed by Randal Kleiserr.
With one great song after another, a superb cast and a screenplay full of both wit and drama makes for a fun time for all! Return to the 1950s for this timeless musical. My equal favourite film of 1978.
GGNM 1001
May 17, 2018
While it ain't no Flash Gordon it is still best movie ever and Olivia Newton-John is so hot she make my pp hurt and the songs, again not better than Flash Gordon are still the best songs I've ever heard and by far I give this movie 10/10. Perfect movie for the family, to watch with a lady friend (homosexuality is a sin), your chickens, or when you are alone, depressed and suppose to be working on that 2 day late book report assigned by your core teacher that you despise so much. Now there is one flaw to this movie and that is that the theory that there are 2 Olivia Newton John's bc when Danny made the joke that there are two of him she got triggered and at the end of the movie she is a different person so I think she has a clone and she made the decision that her clone should be with Danny and she prolly went on an adventure or something idk I watch too much Rick and Morty. I think I covered everything now stop reading this right now and go watch the movie I'm going to count to three and if you ain't watching by the time I'm done counting well, that's a dick move bc I really took time to make this review for you beautiful people. Also I made a go fund me for go go squeeze bc I really need go go squeeze bc it makes me happy. This is too long so I guess I will see you all later when I write a new review of this movie next week.
May 4, 2018
To call this laughably cheesy is definitely an understatement. Yeah the corniness and silliness of this movie makes High School Musical not so ridiculous (heck it ends with the two main characters flying into the sky on their car......their Car! ). However, like High School Musical, this is a upbeat, pleasant guilty pleasure film with lots of catchy songs.
May 4, 2018
Not a fan of this classic musical, then again, when am I ever a fan of any musicals?(the Buffy season 6 episode was not bad I suppose). The whole time I was imagining how cool a sequel could be to this if after the final scene with the car flying up into the sky(and what the hell was that all about anyways??) a nuclear bomb goes off. You see, they never mention what year this takes place, you assume it's in the 50's but what if it was an alternate 1974 where the 50's culture never stopped? Nixon beat JFK in the 1960 election, US never went to Vietnam, China and the Soviet Union join forces to invade the US. 20 years after the war, Sandy is still alive because Danny's greased up hair protects her from the fallout. She leads a revolution against the Imperial Invaders alongside with Rizzo's mutant child(she was prego afterall) and the movie is called Sludge. Now that would be a movie I'd want to see. Anyways.. that's just my two cents.
April 21, 2018
With catchy and unforgettable songs, energetic choreography and an oddly amusing sense of humour complete with an enjoyable animated opening credits sequence, Grease is a classic. Why isn't John Travolta in more musicals?
½ April 11, 2018
gregarious musical seizes the unfettered talent of its two leads, while luxuriating in an oneiric portrayal of the 1950s. it's a trilling, unique masterpiece where it can hardly be confuted as a tumescent solecism, however crass some of its implications. there's real sense of convincing, unsentimental hedonism in this coming-of-age actualisation.
April 5, 2018
Arguably the greatest musical of all time with a brilliantly talented cast, catchy songs, and memorable lines that will keep anyone coming back to watch again and again. I have been for over a decade.
March 17, 2018
Grease is an exceptionally fun and enjoyable movie with classic musical numbers and cheesy character tropes that only add to the movie's charm.
March 16, 2018
It may be not as enjoyable for younger enjoyable audiences, but it will go down as one of the best musicals of all time!
March 1, 2018
Fun for it's time, but now it's just weird.
½ February 18, 2018
unrealistic expectations of everything!!!!!!!! and what the flip is up with the flying car at the end!
February 17, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
February 2, 2018
the first time i watched this movie i was 8 and my mom forced me to watch it and i fell asleep in the first 5 mins but i watched it by my self and have loved it ever since i highly recommend this movie the only thing that i dont like about the movie is when they fly off in the car at the tnd
January 13, 2018
don't talk that way..

Grease

Grease is a fresh script that came out of this bubbly and gay bakery that feeds and fulfils each and every need of the youngster and if not anything the songs definitely has to work.
January 7, 2018
Love this movie, love it's timeless songs and the warm happy feeling it fills your ever beating heart with.
½ December 26, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Un clásico entrañable que plasma la cultura ochentera estadounidense, y que todo fan del cine debe ver.
November 28, 2017
One of my favorite musicals of all time, hands down.
½ November 7, 2017
Well what can I say, except I wasn't left hopelessly devoted to the picture.
Grease is a musical surrounding the senior students of Rydell High in the 1950s. The boys or T-Birds? include John Travolta as cool (apparently) Danny Zuko.
The female students or pink ladies include an Australian newcomer Olivia Newton-John as Sandy.
What follows is 100 minutes or so of various musical numbers as Danny pretends to act cool in front of his male mates whilst really wanting to be goody two shoes in front of Sandy.
Sandy gets rather narked.
Danny gets jealous.
There are scenes of masculinity as the T-Birds fix an old banger for a street race that is more Chariot race off Ben-Hur than Fast and the Furious.
Interrupted by musical numbers such as "Greased Lightnin'" which has some rather interesting lyrics cleverly hidden amongst the shawaddywaddy that is going off.
I found using the subtitles function on the DVD showing rather enlightening with regards to that!
The film begins with a rather Barry Gibb/Bee Gees sound straight out of Saturday Night Fever a year earlier!
On watching the credits they revealed Gibb had indeed written the song Grease Is The Word.
Not my type of film really but had to be done for completist reasons.