Grease - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Grease Reviews

½ July 25, 2016
Grease is a Romantic Comedy/Musical set in the 1950's about two students who fall in love in the summer and when they run into each other at Rydell High they both try to work through their differences to rekindle their romance. This movie is at its core a very cheesy, fun, entertaining film filled with laughs, romance, and a tonne of energy. Being a musical it features many memorable songs that are sure to be stuck in your head for a really long time especially when you've seen it as many times as i have. John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John star in what are probably their most iconic roles as Danny and Sandy respectively. This high school musical is a classic in the genre and a fan favourite stretching over multiple generations.

Once you get into the mindset that you are going to be watching a very cheesy 70's musical there is no way you cannot enjoy this film. The dialogue is nothing amazing and it is very cheesy, but it works because the film embraces what it is rather than trying to have completely serious interactions. The comedy all works and although some of it is very exaggerated and rather silly it still feels very natural as this group of friends have so much chemistry and fun together. The quick one liners are where a lot of the comedy comes from, some of which are so quick that you might miss and pick up on the next viewing. It all comes down to the very well written characters, all of whom have very distinct and different personalities that clash and make for many very entertaining scenes. And despite there being a lot of characters, you never feel as though any of them are being completely ignored as each one is given a presence in the film, some larger than others but you feel like you know all of them.

If you have seen a few musicals, the plot of this film is absolutely nothing you haven't seen before, and it definitely plays out how you would expect it to, but it is not at all a bad thing. When you are having fun, laughing at the jokes, and singing along with the songs, the plot becomes an afterthought and you don't think about it too much, you just enjoy the film. The pacing of the film is something that personally doesn't bother me but for newcomers to the film it is probably going to be the deciding factor in whether they enjoy it or not. Some sections of the film it do slow down and they delve a little more into the romantic elements of the film which are crucial to seeing the journey these characters take throughout the film. But if you aren't as invested in these characters you won't respond to these sequences very well.

So in the end, Grease is a high school rom/com classic in the musical genre and is something that generations today can still watch and enjoy, one of the best of all time. Personally this one of my most watched films of all time believe it or not. You have your romance, your comedy, and most importantly those songs that will never leave your head whether you want them to or not. It's such a very energetic film with a talented cast and there is just an all round very good time to be had with this film.

8.7/10
July 5, 2016
Loaded with killer musical numbers and aesthetically pleasing individuals, Grease unfortunately alienates its potential in favour of thoroughly unlikable characters, humdrum acting (aside from Olivia Newton-John's literal "peaked in high-school" performance) and satisfaction with exclusively superficial entertainment, whether or not it was aiming for more.
July 2, 2016
This is probably my 2nd favorite movie musical, I even think it's better than the live version.
June 25, 2016
I must have see this show over a million times, I know every song and love it to death.
May 26, 2016
The chessy tone of Grease benefits from its talented cast and catchy well-made music.
½ May 13, 2016
Saw it in High School on the big screen when it debuted
May 10, 2016
I loved the movie so fantastic like and goes back though old and such good times!
May 1, 2016
It's a guilty pleasure, because it's not good but darn it if I don't like it.
April 18, 2016
The best musical ever.
March 26, 2016
The soundtrack is the only thing that's remotely good, The film itself is too corny, Silly and boring.
March 3, 2016
A musical done right!
February 17, 2016
soooooo good !! gonna watch Grease:LIVE later.
February 13, 2016
Although I've seen this flick many of times it's always a movie that u can watch with wifey and it out u in a good singing mood. And who doesn't appreciate the chemistry between Olivia and John.
½ February 10, 2016
Classic musical. I don't have a lot to say that hasn't already been said.
February 9, 2016
When I watched Grease for the first time a few years ago, I wasn't impressed. For the cultural landmark and cinematic hit it had been made out to be, it was underwhelming. On my second viewing, though, I really enjoyed it and can appreciate its popularity and significance, even though it does have some issues. It's very overdone and theatrical and I think that's why I didn't like it at first. Now I understand that it's just part of the fun of Grease. It's supposed to be a little bit silly and ridiculous. The characters have exaggerated mannerisms, movement and deliver mostly dumb, cliche dialogue. But it was adapted from a Broadway musical and it's meant to entertain, so it makes sense.

Grease's appeal is mostly in its style, its entertainment value and it's youthful energy. It's really fun to get absorbed in this ultra vintage world, dripping with the 1950's American pop culture. It's crawling with greasers, cheerleaders, jocks in their pristine varsity jackets, jukeboxes and malt shops. Almost all of the songs are fun and infectious and the dancing is really good. The Grease Lightning scene is among the coolest sequences I've ever seen, with its electric dance and classic number. The central romance is pretty trivial, but it's somehow a lot of fun to watch them because Travolta and Newton-John work really well together. Grease also has a lot of zip and exciting energy. It has never seemed so fun or intense to be a teenager.

There are some other things in the film that intrigued me. I think John Travolta's performance was really good because his inner struggle provides the only conflict in the story. Grease really doesn't have any concrete plot and the only thing we know besides the fact that Danny likes Sandy is that he can't figure out if he's a sensitive boyfriend or a super cool greaser because the two don't mix. I also didn't expect the film to be so adult, with its blatant inclusion of alcohol and sex in the high school setting. The greasers drive around drinking beers and sipping liquor at the dance, Rizzo has sex and gets pregnant. One really fascinating scene was where Danny agrees to ride with his best friend in the drag race, and they hug in such a way that it really seems like they're going to kiss. They don't, but the film hints at what lies underneath the boys' tough personas, maybe some repressed emotion or even homosexuality.

As for the things I didn't like about the movie, the most glaring problem is the absence of a plot. If anyone asked me about Grease's narrative structure, it'd be hard to describe anything more than a random collection of events, most likely out of order. What's the theme? I don't know, maybe young love and youthful ignorance. It's also still just a little too whimsical and theatrical for me. Some of the hair colors, characters and dialogue are pretty ridiculous. There were some very creepy moments, too. The news reporter blatantly seduces a young teenage girl, Rizzo makes a joke about that same guy slipping drugs in her drink and the most disturbing was when Danny molests Sandy at the drive-ins. And then he proceeds to sing a song, wondering why Sandy didn't let him molest her. What? That song and one or two others were annoying. I also really didn't like that after Danny went and molested Sandy, the final scene has Sandy completely change her look to perfectly suit what Danny wants. It sends a really bad message about women and gender roles (even if it is weirdly hot). Grease is a lot of fun and features some amazing scenes, but there are some details that subtract from the overall experience.
February 8, 2016
It's one of the most legendary musicals of all time, and watching it in this day and age, it's easy to see why. Catchy songs, memorable moments, an enduring romance, likable characters, lovable cheesiness and a desire not to be taken seriously. It's corny and silly, sure, but always in a manner than we can enjoy and connect to. It's an unrealistic view of high school life and drama, but it knows full well that it is, and completely runs with the idea that all of your woes and all of your triumphs can be resolved or enhanced by simply bursting into a musical number. It's stood the test of time, and seemingly nothing can erode its legacy.
½ February 5, 2016
this is the only musical I find allright to watch.
½ February 5, 2016
I've never felt the Hollywood charm and nostalgia that's typically granted to this simply enjoyable movie, but I must say that, for the material they were given to work with, this is a much better film than it needs to be.

For this romantic, coming-of-age musical premise to succeed all they had to do was choreograph a little dancing, move the camera occasionally, and throw a winning pair of young leads on screen. It's nice to be able to say that the filmmakers went above and beyond to create something far better than the written source material. They made a good movie that, though it could've been a great movie, did undeniably satisfy me.

Overall, "Grease" is a fun little gem with a lot to offer it's demographic.
January 31, 2016
what makes someone transform themselves, the thrill of a risk or does it come naturally. Sandy the young naive girl, can't help resolve her confusion & yearning, that she chooses to see what the "other-side" is about. While her heart, soul, and mind tell her yes, something else tells her no. We come to know what Greasers are all about, and we can't help but fall for T-Birds, they get us off our feets. What happens after graduation? we live open to ourselves to decide of these two knuckle heads. Having the time of our lives, the greatest moments in our life, we don't want it to end, we decide whether sticking together for longer is worth it, but until then we enjoy in the NOW. What we do for love in a car, group, relationship, we go the extra mile, we go the distance as much as it can go, we fix and mend until we realize that we need to get a new one, or we don't try to over do it, and keep it mint condition and vintage, like our youth, and the times of our life.