Grease - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Grease Reviews

September 24, 2017
So many people - gnarled, embittered critics, mostly - are now saying about Grease, that it's not factually accurate; that the cast are way too old to play teenagers; that we don't remember the social issues raised in the piece, we only remember the songs. To these people, I say, DON'T BE SO MISERABLE! It doesn't matter about the age of the cast, or the accuracy of the time period depicted. It is a MUSICAL! It's not supposed to be like real life! In reality, people do not burst into song, especially if they're in sad or other undesirable situations, but, in musicals, that's fine. Not only is it fine, it's THE WHOLE POINT!

As for not remembering the issues raised, yes we do, the story is part of what makes Grease as good as it is.

So, let me outline, just briefly, why I think Grease is great. The story is very good; the performances range from good to great; and the songs are not only lyrically brilliant, but catchy as anything. In short, Grease is joyous fun.
½ August 31, 2017
this is a classic movie to watch with your bitty
August 23, 2017
If it weren't for the amazing dance and musical numbers nothing, nothing would suffice to make a decent movie. There is no plot,no story,there is nothing. It's an ode to sexism and honestly it is so problematic. I like the musical nubers but it could do with a better story.
½ August 16, 2017
I am giving this movie a high rating simply because at the time it was
a phenomenon and to this day has had a cultural impact on pop culture.
You can even hear some of the songs in this film on radio now and
again. However, I simply did not enjoy this one. I always get the
feeling when I watch it that it's a girls fantasy movie. I know a lot of
men who enjoy it but that's just my opinion. The set design, costumes
and music are really good and seeing Travolta in this type of a film is
priceless, and the film still holds up today. I think most people who
watch Grease will give it multiple viewings but I am not one of them.
August 6, 2017
It's corny, but it's what it is and does it right. Grease is a classic musical that even millenials today can enjoy with enjoyable songs, and some good characters.
June 20, 2017
Theres a number of things that are so ridiculous but harmless and entertaining its hard not to love them. For me, thats stuff like Saved By The Bell, High School Musical, and also Grease.
June 7, 2017
Grease... was fresh for it's time, but it now doesn't live up to memories of it. In fact, it's extremely bad.
June 3, 2017
A bit overrated but it's a fun movie. I only liked 3 songs.
May 13, 2017
Peachy keen, jellybean.
½ May 3, 2017
This is considered a classic, and I can't argue with that too much. The overall story isn't very strong, but the music and cast keep things interesting. Even if musicals aren't your thing, this might still be worth watching at least once.
½ May 3, 2017
Why does Grease still work after 40 years? Because for every lame "Hopelessly Devoted to You" moment, there's a truly great "You're the One That I Want" upswing. The plot is all over the place, the characters are crazy dumb, and it's not nearly as self-aware as it should be. Yet the classic earworm songs and the strong humor keep this homage to musicals-past chugging along.
½ April 26, 2017
With perfect casting, staging and hugely entertaining musical numbers, it's hardly surprising that what we end up with is a timeless classic that just works on every level.
April 9, 2017
Konecne som to videl cele od zaciatku do konca :)
March 14, 2017
Fun, catchy songs, wonderful singing, and an upbeat happy feel make Grease a classic among the musical genre that will never get old
February 7, 2017
one of my favorites! :)
½ December 17, 2016
I've never felt the Hollywood charm and nostalgia that's typically granted to this simply enjoyable movie, but I must say that, for the material they were given to work with, this is a much better film than it needs to be.

For this romantic, coming-of-age musical premise to succeed all they had to do was choreograph a little dancing, move the camera occasionally, and throw a winning pair of young leads on screen. It's nice to be able to say that the filmmakers went above and beyond to create something far better than the written source material. They made a good movie that, though it could've been a great movie, did undeniably satisfy me.

Overall, "Grease" is a fun little gem with a lot to offer it's demographic.
November 11, 2016
This is probably my 2nd favorite movie musical, I even think it's better than the live version.
November 1, 2016
This movie is not aging, and it is extremely well crafted. It deserves its status as a cult movie that influenced a generation.
October 31, 2016
The songs are definitely catchy; the story - not so much.