Grease - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Grease Reviews

March 17, 2018
Grease is an exceptionally fun and enjoyable movie with classic musical numbers and cheesy character tropes that only add to the movie's charm.
March 16, 2018
It may be not as enjoyable for younger enjoyable audiences, but it will go down as one of the best musicals of all time!
March 1, 2018
Fun for it's time, but now it's just weird.
½ February 18, 2018
unrealistic expectations of everything!!!!!!!! and what the flip is up with the flying car at the end!
February 17, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
February 2, 2018
the first time i watched this movie i was 8 and my mom forced me to watch it and i fell asleep in the first 5 mins but i watched it by my self and have loved it ever since i highly recommend this movie the only thing that i dont like about the movie is when they fly off in the car at the tnd
January 13, 2018
don't talk that way..

Grease is a fresh script that came out of this bubbly and gay bakery that feeds and fulfils each and every need of the youngster and if not anything the songs definitely has to work.
January 7, 2018
Love this movie, love it's timeless songs and the warm happy feeling it fills your ever beating heart with.
½ December 26, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Un clásico entrañable que plasma la cultura ochentera estadounidense, y que todo fan del cine debe ver.
November 28, 2017
One of my favorite musicals of all time, hands down.
½ November 7, 2017
Well what can I say, except I wasn't left hopelessly devoted to the picture.
Grease is a musical surrounding the senior students of Rydell High in the 1950s. The boys or T-Birds? include John Travolta as cool (apparently) Danny Zuko.
The female students or pink ladies include an Australian newcomer Olivia Newton-John as Sandy.
What follows is 100 minutes or so of various musical numbers as Danny pretends to act cool in front of his male mates whilst really wanting to be goody two shoes in front of Sandy.
Sandy gets rather narked.
Danny gets jealous.
There are scenes of masculinity as the T-Birds fix an old banger for a street race that is more Chariot race off Ben-Hur than Fast and the Furious.
Interrupted by musical numbers such as "Greased Lightnin'" which has some rather interesting lyrics cleverly hidden amongst the shawaddywaddy that is going off.
I found using the subtitles function on the DVD showing rather enlightening with regards to that!
The film begins with a rather Barry Gibb/Bee Gees sound straight out of Saturday Night Fever a year earlier!
On watching the credits they revealed Gibb had indeed written the song Grease Is The Word.
Not my type of film really but had to be done for completist reasons.
November 4, 2017
I loved it then and I still love it the movies great.nicejob.karen haddon
October 29, 2017
A dated and cheeky movie that's too overly hyped.
October 14, 2017
What instantly stood out to me, was the aesthetic: "Grease" perfectly captures the aesthetic of a caricaturistic late 50s to early 60s high school youth love. The promiscuous tendencies, the peer pressure and of course the high school cliques, so delicately arranged as to create the perfect fit between each element; it's something "Grease" seems to succeed at ever so greatly.
The cinematography is far from lackluster (although the focus puller could've done a better job at times), and - paired with the aesthetic mentioned earlier - is kept consistent throughout the film, with contrasty and colourful scenes making a prominent appearance. The musical aspect can't be ignored, but at the same time it's nothing to write home about, as it doesn't add significant value to this modern romeo-and-juliet-esque story. John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John tend to overact here and there, albeit to perpetuate their respective caricatures and, yet again, the marvelously consolidated aesthetic.
It's a gem of a movie, really, so I don't really know what word I'm looking for to describe this film; maybe the word is "Grease"?
September 24, 2017
So many people - gnarled, embittered critics, mostly - are now saying about Grease, that it's not factually accurate; that the cast are way too old to play teenagers; that we don't remember the social issues raised in the piece, we only remember the songs. To these people, I say, DON'T BE SO MISERABLE! It doesn't matter about the age of the cast, or the accuracy of the time period depicted. It is a MUSICAL! It's not supposed to be like real life! In reality, people do not burst into song, especially if they're in sad or other undesirable situations, but, in musicals, that's fine. Not only is it fine, it's THE WHOLE POINT!

As for not remembering the issues raised, yes we do, the story is part of what makes Grease as good as it is.

So, let me outline, just briefly, why I think Grease is great. The story is very good; the performances range from good to great; and the songs are not only lyrically brilliant, but catchy as anything. In short, Grease is joyous fun.
½ August 31, 2017
this is a classic movie to watch with your bitty
August 23, 2017
If it weren't for the amazing dance and musical numbers nothing, nothing would suffice to make a decent movie. There is no plot,no story,there is nothing. It's an ode to sexism and honestly it is so problematic. I like the musical nubers but it could do with a better story.
½ August 16, 2017
I am giving this movie a high rating simply because at the time it was
a phenomenon and to this day has had a cultural impact on pop culture.
You can even hear some of the songs in this film on radio now and
again. However, I simply did not enjoy this one. I always get the
feeling when I watch it that it's a girls fantasy movie. I know a lot of
men who enjoy it but that's just my opinion. The set design, costumes
and music are really good and seeing Travolta in this type of a film is
priceless, and the film still holds up today. I think most people who
watch Grease will give it multiple viewings but I am not one of them.
August 6, 2017
It's corny, but it's what it is and does it right. Grease is a classic musical that even millenials today can enjoy with enjoyable songs, and some good characters.
June 20, 2017
Theres a number of things that are so ridiculous but harmless and entertaining its hard not to love them. For me, thats stuff like Saved By The Bell, High School Musical, and also Grease.