Greater Reviews

• Nov 09, 2019

I really enjoyed this movie, and it is a rare sports movie that can appeal to sports fans and non-sports fans alike. There is no doubt there is some "Hollywood Embellishment" here, as I happen to know some of the personalities portrayed in the movie and there is some poetic license taken. But overall, the movie captures the spirit of Brandon Burlsworth and his unlikely rise from a small town high school 'wanna be' to an NFL draft pick. Brandon wasn't perfect, but he was a damn good man, a devout Christian, and through his perseverance deserved his shot in the NFL. It is not a spoiler to say he died too soon, since the movie opens with his funeral and everyone knows of his demise. The good Lord only knows what he might have achieved, but most that knew him are better for having known him.

• Stephen
    Sep 28, 2019

Wow. I loved this story. I took a chance on a movie I knew nothing about but loved the sports theme. It turned out to be so much more than that, and we are all “Greater” for the story this movie tells. Smile and cry...what’s not to like.

• Aug 31, 2019

I have watched many faith based movies. While I appreciate what the other films tried to do in telling their story, this tells the story of Brandon Burlsworth in a fresh way-through the eyes of his grieving older brother. Yes, it is a Brandon biography, but it's also about how to come to terms with loss for his family-an equally inspiring story. Even if you don't need another persevering football story, you will appreciate and grow from this story!

• Dec 16, 2018

True story portrayed well: realistic life struggles; phenomenal character qualities of Brandon, that, if emulated, would make everyone a better person, communities stronger, and life richer.

• Dec 11, 2018

A little too serious Christian push for those of us atheists. Yes, it was a great accomplishment but I got weary from all the Christ references. However, for those who like Christ-light, this will work. As religion falters across the globe and people realize that believing in a supernatural male is ridiculous, movies like this will reinforce that belief. I will say that the actors were good.

• Nov 28, 2018

"Greater" is the true story of a young man, Brandon Burlsworth, who goes against all odds to become an NFL football player. The film opens on Brandon's funeral and continues by going back in time to tell his story. As a young boy Brandon is overweight and often ridiculed as the fat kid. He doesn't have much athletic talent but he has a dream to play for the Arkansas Razorbacks college football team. Playing football in a youth football league, his coach never really gave him a chance. His high school coach was impressed with Brandon's determination and gave him the attention he needed to develop real athletic skills. While he was not considered good enough to play for the Razorbacks, his high school coach was still able to get him an appointment to visit the school. During Brandon's visit, the Razorbacks coach lets him know there's no way he will ever make that Division One team because he's not big enough. Brandon takes this as a challenge and gains weight to be what he thinks is big enough. Unfortunately, the Razorback coach was looking for muscle weight gain, not fat weight gain and Brandon was still unable to qualify to play for the Razorbacks. Undeterred, Brandon, with the help of his mother taking out a second mortgage on her home, joined the Razorbacks football team as what is known as a walk-on. A walk-on is a player who pays his own way at the college and is never expected to play in any of the games - they are only there to train with the team and help them get ready for game day. Overly fat, Brandon is bullied by the other players, and he has a hard time fitting in socially because he is a devoted Christian and not interested in typical secular college behavior. Nevertheless, Brandon's determination to prove himself and get a football scholarship is undaunted. By working harder than anyone else, his coach took notice and gave him the extra attention and advice he needed to succeed. Over time, Brandon became one of the best players on the team and received his scholarship to continue playing as a Razorback. Brandon's hard work and success was an inspiration to his entire team and he was instrumental in turning a losing team into a winning team. Brandon went on to become an All-American and complete a master's degree in business. Brandon was selected in the 3rd round of the NFL draft with the Indianapolis Colts and was scheduled to be a starter as offensive guard. Tragically, Brandon was killed in a car accident before his NFL career began. This is a well told story and a celebration of a remarkable life. The overarching theme of this film is how we cope with bad things happening to good people. In the film, Brandon's older brother, Marty, continually has a hard time dealing with Brandon's tragic death. Brandon's mom, who is more devoted to her Christian faith, gets Marty to look at the bigger picture. She lets him know that God has a grander view of our lives which are only a tiny moment in all eternity. This message is subtly implanted throughout the film and plays well without being intrusive. Brandon Burlsworth is such a likeable character you can't help but enjoy this story. While the film bounces back-and-forth between his funeral and the story of his life, it becomes clear that a celebration of Brandon's life is more appropriate than anger over his death. God called Brandon home. There's a void left behind in the hearts of those who loved him, but his legacy and memory will go on inspiring many others for years to come.

• Jul 24, 2018

very good movie, IN SPITE of not being the sort of thing I'd like or even watch.

• May 26, 2018

I’m not surprise we have another true story about football

I’m not surprise we have another true story about football

• Feb 25, 2018

Why do people give bad ratings to movies strictly because they are religious (specifically Christian) in nature? Ridiculous. Just enjoy the movie for what it presents as far as a story and how it makes you feel coming out of it. Very uplifting. Sad that so many can't see past the fact that it involves God.

• Feb 09, 2018

Very inspirational story of failure becoming success and persistence to break out and achieve your goals! With hard work and discipline you can achieve your goals no matter what the odds say. I wanted to see a little more of the movie focus on the actual football such as plays and battles within the sport/game itself but truly a great story about the offensive linesman Brandon Burlsworth!