Grindhouse - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Grindhouse Reviews

April 6, 2017
for 2007:

a decade later and this movie still kicks so much ass
at least the first film in my opinion
the Grindhouse cinema trope comes back with modern actors but still sticking to vintage material
Quentin Tarentino and Robert Rodriguez collaborate once more to deliver a bloody, violent, funny, and fierce cinema experience
Planet Terror takes a standard plot of zombie-like creatures eating the human race due to a gas exposure
Rose McGowan is a stripper that wants to be a comedian and she runs into her old flame Rey amidst all the carnage
a lot of gore and a lot of laughs
great supporting actors from Marley Shelton, Elizabeth and Electra Avellan, Josh Brolin, Bruce Willis, and Fergie
the movie is also filled with hilarious fake trailers for other Grindhouse flicks; they're filled with the same ridiculousness
the second feature Deathproof is more of a slow burner
Kurt Russell is a professional stunt driver with a car that is supposedly death-proof but every one that ends up in his car never makes it out
his latest target are a group of women traveling the countryside
this film is more talk-heavy and it's a bit off putting considering how Quentin Tarentino writes most of this dialogue
but the end sequence is very exciting as these girls fight for their lives against this driver
Lucy Lawless, Rosario Dawson, Vanessa Ferlito, and Mary Elizabeth Winstead
if you have the patience the payoff is so much fun
this is a hell of a ride bringing back the classic style of 1970's filmmaking
½ March 28, 2017
Literally the shittiest, waste of time, joke of a movie I have ever had to hold down my nausea for.
½ March 28, 2017
Just a fun movie that delivers an homage to the 80's and Grindhouse theaters with Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez as the directors. B+
½ March 27, 2017
A roloorcoaster ride in ol fashioned horror/zombie fare with a great new take by several great directors and talented cast. The two movies tied together with trailers and post production treats is a gast. The 3 1/2 hour experience is one never to forget. A masterpiece !!
March 25, 2017
saw in the theater it was awesome esp the fake 'trailers'
March 20, 2017
Both directors had dug themselves into a hole with both of their films. It's so bloody obvious to see, and I'm starting to lose faith in their abilities as film makers. I know these films are meant to be bad, but bad in a good way, and they can't even get that right.
Rodriguez over-stuffed 'Planet Terror' with too many characters and too many sub-plots for a film that's only an hour long. It doesn't deserve to labelled a zombie flick as the zombie's don't seem to do anything (I can't even remember a zombie being in it).
What can I say about Tarantino's 'Death proof'? Too much talk, not enough Kurt Russell, and when he was on screen, he was all flimsy and misdirected. The ending was absolutely terrible with him breaking down into a blubbering mass.
February 27, 2017
Great 60-7's style movie B rated movie cred with an A class twist!
December 31, 2016
Planet Terror was random and ridiculous, it tend to be a bit confusing but the action and the interaction between characters was great. And props to Rodriguez for not using too much cg. 2.5out of 5 in my book.

Death Proof was a straight up slasher, just with awesome cars. I liked death proof more, maybe because it was simple and quick. Wish there was a proper explanation for the killer's motif though. Also this is one of those movies where the "good guys" are also scumbags so it's really hard to root for a side. 2.5 out of 5 stars in my book.

Together with all the fake trailers, grain and theater cards, this movie emulates a classic theater style which plays on one's nostalgia of those days but the grain effect and the missing reel that cuts a chunk of a movie is exaggerated in my opinion. 3 out of 5 Stars total in my book.
November 15, 2016
This movie like all Tarantino movies is garbage. it's way too over the top, it's way too silly, and I didn't really care for any of the characters save the twins but that's just cause they are hot. all in all this movie should have never made it to theaters and it stupid
October 22, 2016
Rodriguez and Tarantino bring together a great homage to grind-house cinema. However I'd recommend watching Death Proof first then Planet Terror.
September 10, 2016
Best of both worlds!!!!!!
July 12, 2016
This the reason why I'm in film school. End of review.
June 11, 2016
Grindhouse is a fun double feature that displays that Rodriguez (Planet Terror) and Tarantino (Death Proof) both know how to work off eachother to produce two fun B movies that are amusing on a spectacle level (more on Planet Terror) and on a witty side (more on Death Proof).
April 30, 2016
Explosiva, entretenida, feral y divertida maratón de dos películas (aunque no debería de criticarles mucho) y un chorro de "fake trailers" para asegurar un buen rato.
April 8, 2016
Expertly crafted schlock. The retro visuals and performances are very entertaining, and the fake trailers are a riot. Tarantino's "Death Proof" is better than Rodriguez's zombie B-movie gorefest "Planet Terror", but together the two movies form a fun and exciting tribute to the moviegoing experience.
February 26, 2016
Grindhouse is a rare experience since double features are not regularly made nowadays. The style that was put into making this double feature particularly makes it feel like two older movies (perhaps from the 70s) but with contemporary actors we know and love like Bruce Willis, Josh Brolin, and Rosario Dawson to name a few. Together, Planet Terror and Death Proof bring an interesting experience to viewers. Separately, each is a good (but not great) B movie.

What worked for Planet Terror: it is awesome as a "disease" or "outbreak" movie. Even though the film is generally darkly lit, the killing of the infected proves to be action-packed and very bloody (did Tarantino ghost direct certain parts)? Wray is a really cool character with a clear expertise on guns and a great shooter. Cherry is good as well, but a little more bland than Wray. While the coolest aspect of the film has to be when Cherry gains a gun for a leg it defies the logic of her knowing how to operate it without pulling a trigger of any sorts. Also, it does not seem to run out of ammo. But this logic is somewhat irrelevant since it is clear Planet Terror was made for fun.

What worked for Death Proof: Tarantino is at it again with conversations that connect dots between various situations. For example, in the first half of the film a girl is told to do a lap-dance for the first man who says something specific to her, and her friends urge her not to be "chickens***." When Kurt Russell tries this on this same girl later in the film, he makes an analogy to the common phrase "in my book" and threatens to put this girl under "chickens***" in his "book." Unlike most Tarantino movies, however, it lacks substance, and at its most basic, Death Proof is about Kurt Russell tracking two sets of girls - one in the first half and another in the second half. Even with Tarantino-esque dialogue, this segment falls short of great, but Kurt Russell's performance in this movie is convincing and impressive.

It is a fun experience to watch this double feature, but do not expect to watch two masterpieces by any means.

3.0/4.0
½ February 14, 2016
Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino (along with a few guest directors) have joined forces to create a thoroughly entertaining cinematic experience with 'Grindhouse'. While both movies are enjoyable on their own, this double feature, complete with joke trailers for schlocky coming attractions, is a treat for any fans of genre cinema.
January 19, 2016
You willl be just like in old time.
January 16, 2016
Both directors show off their talent for taking the junk of American cinema and reverting it into something that is actually good. I enjoyed Rodriguez's highly entertaining "Planet Terror" and the trailers by other directors more than Tarantino's well-written but ultimately flat "Death Proof" but all of it was well-done and scorched with the greatest form of nostagia.