Reviews

• Apr 17, 2022

While I personally don't gravitate towards documentaries, this one did grab my interest as I was aware of the infamous legacy of Timothy Treadwell beforehand. And while I do admit that Grizzly Man is interesting, many of the problems I have with documentaries are also prevalent here. While I did find learning the background of this larger than life person interesting and learning more about his brutal death via his close friends and people close to the case heartbreaking, I couldn't help but feel like the pacing was really slow at times as I also found Herzog's commentary as he interjected his own opinions rather jarring at times. As documentaries go, people who like them will probably really love this one. But as someone who doesn't like documentaries all that much, this really didn't sway my opinion on the genre.

• Dec 02, 2021

Functions better as a macabrely dark comedy.

Functions better as a macabrely dark comedy.

• Jul 24, 2021

Regardless of whether or not you appreciate self-proclaimed bear expert Timothy Treadwell's efforts to protect Alaskan grizzlies from those who want to harm them, you have to admire his passion. In the documentary Grizzly Man, director Werner Herzog culled footage from Treadwell's library and interviewed those who knew Treadwell. The end result is fascinating. Much of the raw footage is riveting as Treadwell mingles with the bears at close range, seemingly keeping them at bay with nothing more than his squeaky voice and patronizing tone, tromping around in the wilderness like Mr Rogers in a blond toupee. The interviews are equally compelling, offering insight ranging from a man with great passion to an idiot playing with fire. Grizzly Man always remains objective and never passes judgement and is well worth seeing.

• May 23, 2021

Herzog's documentary tells a tragic story about a sad man who tried to save nature, but was ultimately destroyed by it. The film suffers from awkward shots of the subjects standing in front of the camera looking uncomfortable.

• Apr 08, 2021

Timothy Treadwell auditioning for a role in the sitcom Cheers was an interesting little factoid. Anyway, the guy was definitely passionate, and also borderline insane/delusional, which is what makes this story fascinating in many parts. There's literally a moment where he films himself caressing bear doodoo. If that isn't devotion, I don't know what is.

• Mar 06, 2021

Approached from many different angles, the story of Grizzly Man is kind of incredible. Now that I have seen it a couple of different times, I am finding that I am drawing very different conclusions about Timothy Treadwell now than I did 5-10 years ago. In some ways, he absolutely seems like a victim and in other ways, he seems to have really done a great of manipulating other people and taking them down with him. Grizzly Man is a must-watch because of Treadwell's complexity and the nuance of the issues which surround him and this story.

• Feb 03, 2021

Grizzly Man is a sad and maddening documentary. It kept me up all night after viewing it. I share Werner Herzog's interpretation Tim Treadwell was a brilliant but delusional activist (not his words, but the sentiment I picked up). Treadwell wasn't naive--he knew very well he could die out in the wilderness, and seemed to expect it one day. It takes a certain type of intelligence to survive in the bush for 13 straight summers, up close and personal with giant predators. Where his delusion came in is thinking nature is ultimately harmonious and should be benign. I thought Herzog went too far in saying nature is murderous, but agree with his notion nature is chaotic. I would agree more with the Aleut man who criticized Treadwell for intruding on nature. The Aleut people kept a respectful distance from the bears. Nature needs to be recognized as chaotic (not necessarily murderous, as that implies malice intent), and should be respected. Treadwell viewed himself as the lone protector of bears, even though bears can protect themselves and weren't in any particular danger from poachers in the remote national park. We see Treadwell approaching bears who don't seem to appreciate his advances, and at one point rerouting a stream to funnel more salmon into the bears' habitat. My personal theory, based on my unprofessional opinion of Treadwell's apparent bipolar disorder, is that after his confrontation with the Air Alaska employee which sent him angrily back into the wild, he got himself worked up to a point there was no where to go but down. He went back out there in an elaborate suicide attempt. What is unforgivable is he took his girlfriend down with him. Ultimately, it is my opinion the bears became his gods. Multiple times in the movie the interviewees mention he had religious experiences living among the bears. Carl Jung said your religion will eat you alive, and that is what literally happened here. In his delusion he thought he was the bears' savior, and in a perverse sense, it was his intention to become a Eucharistic sacrifice for them. Fascinating, but also deeply troubling.

• Dec 23, 2020

He was incredible person. But this film is not as good as Timothy was.

He was incredible person. But this film is not as good as Timothy was.

• Dec 15, 2020

Utterly fascinating.

Utterly fascinating.

• Sep 10, 2020

Ok, with good scenery but a dude who gets killed by the bears he reveres, really ?