Gummo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gummo Reviews

May 31, 2017
A disturbed view of the real America with all of it's problems well compiled in a perfect mix of emotions, soundtrack and interlacing stories. Work of art and my personal favorite from Korine.
½ February 28, 2017
I don't get this movie; why it was made, what it says, what it accomplishes
February 24, 2017
Strange as hell, but... it's sort of... beautiful.
February 22, 2017
my all time favorite movie
½ February 10, 2017
At 88 minutes, it honestly feels thirty minutes too long. It's an overly dreary and winded way of telling us to feel repugnant by our fellow human beings. Its purpose is to make us as smug as the director.
May 17, 2016
33 percent of critics are wrong and 73 percent of the audience are idiots. What is wrong with the people who made this film and the people who didn't hate it with a passion? I will now think about how much I dislike this movie every day for the rest of my life.
½ May 15, 2016
"Look at it this way Snob, at least it's better than Gummo", said Brad Jones, a.k.a. The Cinema Snob, and now I know exactly what he meant by that. To watch Gummo is be treated to several storylines and multiple vignettes, none of which are engaging or even very interesting, jumbled together and not connecting in any way. Gummo is the kind of movie I imagine people with nothing better to do with their time will pour over and analyse, trying desperately to find symbolic meaning in a film almost epic in its nihilism. I can't imagine what the director was going for, but I have the sneaking suspicion that he has a deep hatred for cats, since what story there is involves several of them being killed and sold off by our charming protagonists. Literally the nicest thing I can think to say about the film is that it's only 89 minutes long. A complete and utter waste of time with no entertainment value whatsoever.
May 5, 2016
I've only seen two other Harmony Korine movies, one being Kids which I loved and the other being Trash Humpers which I'm not actually sure qualifies as a movie. I liked both of them, especially the underlying dark humor and general angst. They both feel very punk rock.

I had always heard this was one of the most messed up movies ever made, and I also saw it repeatedly compared to Breathless so it's actually pretty unacceptable that it took me this long to watch it.

The Godard comparison mostly comes from the semi-improvised way that the movie was shot (a lot of the movie is shot on hand held), and in the jumpiness of the editing. But when it comes to the way that ideas are being presented there's a pretty big difference. Harmony creates this very strange trashy poetry that the world within Gummo operates on. Characters tend to be very blunt, and ignorant of the morals of their actions. Its kind of an anti-Slingblade where poverty and mental illness are shown in the most disturbing ways possible, and there's no resolution in sight. The movie slips into almost exploitational snuff film levels of depravity, sometimes played for laughs (there's a pretty great scene where a very drunk Harmony Korine tries to flirt with a midget), but more often than not it's just there to make you feel sick.

It's great.
½ April 13, 2016
Literally the worst film I have ever seen. Even worse than Creatures from the Pink Lagoon and Jaws the Revenge. At least those bombs had a story. This is just the bottom of the American barrel with a video camera doing nothing. I can't imagine the amount of people who have this one + stars.
½ November 2, 2015
Mr. Korine's purpose is too cruel and shallow, his perspective too self-satisfied and childishly conceited, that his strange, eccentric directing debut seems like an unpleasant practical joke.
½ October 14, 2015
I'm finding it impossible to boil down the events in the film into a 10-point scale. It's difficult to discern whether this movie is actually "good", or not. That being said, the images of this community of cat-killing, glue-huffing, chain-smoking individuals have been singed into my retinas. Living out a life of middle-class luxury, you tend to forget that people this filthy do in fact roam the same earth you do. It's an odd film that I would recommend to people who need a little touch of perspective, or just want to see some fucked up people.
½ October 7, 2015
Gummo is ugly, unpleasant, rather chaotic and - for a lot of viewers - impossible to like. While all these things might be true, Harmony Korine's debut is also impossible to dismiss.

But this flick is not just a series of random unpleasant scenes, its chaos has a purpose: it creates a particular atmosphere, one that is difficult to shake loose. Many people might not like this film, as I said before, but not because it is astoundingly bad(yes, there will be those who will dismiss it because it does not meet their tastes, but this is next to irrelevant), but because the film is difficult to sit though.

However, if you think about "Gummo", you you take one step away from it, see it clearly, it resembles a lot with poetry and perhaps this is the best way to look at it.

Harmony Korine takes the viewer in places he does not want to be and offers characters he might not want to meet, but this incursion reaches some strange emotional notes by the time the credits roll.

Like "Pink Flamingos', "El Topo", "Eraserhead", a rating system does not apply in Gummo's case either(I gave a rating because RT doesn't let me post that otherwise).
July 27, 2015
Cat-killing kids and broken back-stories take centre stage in Harmony Korine's downbeat and dirty docu-drama.
More arbitrary than visionary, Gummo is a collage of controversial clips and muffled voiceovers; some of which are interesting, others of which are just jarring.
The film gives off a shaky sense of realism and follows some potentially interesting characters, but Korine's picture is essentially devoid of any real meaning beneath its revelry in the exploitation of impoverished and slightly odd-looking Americans.
Meandering, maddening and ultimately empty, it comes to something when a film's finest moment is a kid dropping a Crunchie bar in a dirty bathtub.
July 2, 2015
Very raw and real. You'll want to read about the production technique.
½ June 7, 2015
there's a lot of general shittiness hurting the genius in this film. probably has as much sincerity as it does irony. make up yr mind, boy.
May 30, 2015
After reading the rather poor reviews on 'Rotten Tomatoes' I watched 'Gummo' quite intrigued on what the negative fuss was all about. It is true that the film tries a bit too hard, leaving not very much to the imagination, but, sometime, that's the price to pay to try to be avant-garde and hard hitting. Gummo's openly idiosyncratic style crafts a texture to its characters that is undeniably interesting if a bit caricaturesque. I don't think Korine intended to create a post-tornado document, but he used this event to peek into small town America, depicting it with no mercy or limits, creating a morally desperate wasteland which, in my opinion, unlike perhaps other reviews, can be cringingly excepted as real.

The weak point of 'Gummo' is perhaps the lack of linkage between the individual stories (with exception of the dead cats) which makes the individual characters the only thing about the film. Music should have feature more throughout the movie and perhaps a bit more social-historical contextualisation, through the tornado story, would have rendered 'Gummo' a little more entertaining rather than just a ruthless mix of harsh scenes that really tests one's level of acceptance for a film.

I am always a big fan of stories about 'real' people; in the case of 'Gummo' real people may have feature, but the story was not quite there. Good effort, nevertheless.
April 22, 2015
Screw all of the haters. This movie is fantastic. I never tire of watching it. There are dozens of quotable lines in this movie.
If you like big Hollywood movies like Transformers,etc..you should probably pass on this one.
½ March 11, 2015
What I can honestly say is the most disturbing film I've ever seen also provokes from me admiration. Where the majority of people who view this will only see grotesque disturbances shoved under their nose for the sake of pretension, those few who share my vein will see the world as projected by the dusty cracked lenses of Harmony Korine who, shooting all of this in his home town with people he knew or approached on the street, gives off an impression of the world as he witnessed growing up without any refrain or filter.
February 28, 2015
I have never watched a film that has left me as mentally and emotionally disturbed as much as Gummo did. This has to be one of the most unusually concepted films I have ever watched. For me, it's one of those rare films that simply gets everything wrong. Production, Writing, Scenery: it's all wrong. I do credit the film for tackling with very adult and unsettling situations since most people decide to laugh at these issues and just suspect them as a stupid yet childish mistake , however the way that the film decides to deal with them results in an uncomfortable and almost dreadful sight, for all the wrong reasons.

So the story is about a young boy named Solomon , who had to suffer with devastation after his hometown of Xenia, Ohio was hit by a heartbreaking hurricane. It focuses on 3 main characters: Bunny Boy, Solomon and Tummler. Then the rest of this film talks about how these boys do certain things to help time pass by like huffing glue, making out with teenage girls, getting involved with child molesters and committing signs of animal cruelty to cats. So basically, they go through the processes of growing up and understanding the meaning of grown up life.

Like I said before, I was very impressed by the fact that the film incorporates different characteristics of grown up people like getting pregnant andhaving true affection for someone. Also it takes notice of certain syndromes like Asbergers and Down Syndrome. Having friends who are diagnosed with these syndromes, I felt that there should be a film where things like this are maturely discussed. I felt betrayed by the way that the film portrayed such issues, as if it were to say that people who suffer with these kind of disorders are just messed up. I didn't like the childish tone and instead of the film being moving, it scared me and gave an unsettling tone throughout. If there were 1 thing that I thought was averagely good was the actor who played Solomon: he was pretty much the only person in the film that shows raw devastation and emotion. The rest of the film however is highly mediocre and bland.
February 13, 2015