H2: Halloween II - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

H2: Halloween II Reviews

June 11, 2017
Like his remake of Halloween, Rob Zombie adds a lot of changes to the Halloween franchise. However, in remaking Halloween II, Zombie decides to favor things like symbolism and an artsy style rather than a coherent plot. Although things like character development and scares are still plentiful, Rob Zombie's Halloween II is still somewhat of a letdown. Yes, the performances are better, but that's pretty much all that gets better. Everything else good or alright about Zombie's remake of Halloween either stays the same or, sadly, stumbles in Halloween II.

Perhaps the best thing in this film, though, is the creative change in tone, from happy and then tragic in Zombie's Halloween, now to supernatural and unsettling in Zombie's remake of Halloween II. Unfortunately, all of that tone and imagery is just too incoherent and blocked by mostly inadequate attempts to progress the story, also in a very incoherent way.

There's way too much up for interpretation here. I hate to say it, but it's not really something you can fully appreciate, either. The plot just isn't strong enough. This movie is a prime example of style over substance. Sure, there's a bit of development in characters, mostly Laurie and Michael, of course.

The movie is pretentious, and artsy, which I like, but it doesn't really have much of any external conflicts or really a huge conflict for all of the characters as one. In a way, it's barely a story. It's Laurie, Michael, and the rest of the characters dealing with what happened, then dealing with it again. It's just a tiny bit more discovered here. Also, it's generic. There isn't a main theme or moral either here, or at least nothing explained to be a moral or theme. Again, it's all up for interpretation. Not a stitch of a base of something to interpret though.

Bottom line, Zombie's Halloween 2 has plenty of scares, better performances, more characterization than recent efforts, but its generic and relies on style over substance. Also, there's a huge lack of conflict and a theme.
½ May 31, 2017
It's a step down from the 2007 film and from the original Halloween II, but H2 is just scary, gory, and suspenseful enough to make up for most of its flaws. Scout Taylor Compton gives another fantastic performance as Laurie Strode, and Tyler Mane is still terrifying as Michael Myers. The more character-based plot loses some entertainment value though, and Rob Zombie's direction could have been better. That being said, the final showdown is well-executed, and the ending was the best it could have been.
½ May 24, 2017
This one is way too far out there for me.
½ May 20, 2017
I didn't see it in 2009 as soon as it came out and I'm glad I didn't. Big Halloween fan and everything about this film was horrible. Can't wait till John Carpenter comes back on board.
½ May 16, 2017
Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 actually fares ever so slightly better than his previous Halloween film. Here, he gets to make his own take on an original Halloween film. Unfortunately, it's messy and the ending is confusing. In Halloween 2, two years have passed since the events of the previous film and Loomis has become a selfish, money-hungry, uncaring asshole and Laurie is slowly losing her mind thanks to what appears to be a psychic connection with her older brother, mental trauma from the events of the previous film, and possibly genetics (The film does seem to imply Laurie may have inherited the same madness her brother is inflicted with). Speaking of Michael, he has become someone best resembling a shambling, bearded, old man hobo. He wanders around aimlessly, committing random murders here and there, and is plauged by constant visions of his dead mother with a white horse (oh, and he communicates with her via a version of his 10 year old self). He seems to be downright pissed throughout most of the film as his murders are much more brutal this time around. I'm not a fan of the grunts he makes whenever he stabs people, and he actually speaks a word near the end. Believe it or not, I'm ok with this version of Michael). To the film's credit, there are some shots that are gorgeous to look at and the atmosphere is that of a rich Halloween nightmare. Brad Douriff and Danielle Harris are the real standouts here, although I definitely liked Laurie a little more than I did in Halloween. Zombie's sequel isn't a good film, but it has some interesting ideas, haunting visuals, and the deaths are better executed here (pardon the pun). Thankfully, this appears to be Zombie's last Halloween film, thus ending this unsuccessful but interesting take on the Halloween franchise.
½ May 11, 2017
Pure "Art Horror" way better than the first part, I saw that one first and then I just regreted having seen the first one.
½ May 2, 2017
The first 15/20 minutes were actually not bad, the *dream sequence* where Lawrie is chased through the hospital, full of tension and suspense. Alas we come back to the real world where *Lawrie* is such an annoying, whiny, foul mouthed douche bag that you actually hope she will be the first person to be killed off.
And with her being the heroine of the film that tells you everything you need to know.

Even worse than his first effort, if that is possible ...
March 12, 2017
Bland, boring, and full of gore with no suspense and cheap jumpscares, this is just another disappointment in the Halloween franchise.
March 1, 2017
A dream sequence ridden sequel to a disgraceful, unnecessary remake. Sounds like a great idea on paper, right? I do give Zombie points for taking the series in a unique direction; if only the writing and execution were anything close to passable.
January 16, 2017
Nah Movie was kind of Dumb And I don't really understand the story to it much So Yeah Rob Zombie Didn't Go To Well with this film Should've made it better zombie!
½ January 15, 2017
This was alright. Went to see it for the Zombie appeal
January 4, 2017
I do give this follow up film credit for once again giving us a closer look into Michael Myer's psyche. However, this film was not as well structured as its predecessor.
½ January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ December 24, 2016
Zombie's return to John Carpenter's Halloween franchise isn't quite the breath of fresh air his remake was, but this sequel comes close enough with solid acting and enough blood-saturated violence to honor past installments while breaking some new narrative and character ground.
jamrcla
½ December 3, 2016
Typical slasher film, Lots of Blood and kills but the story was so boring and the ending was just stupid, Michael Myers has always been the one slasher villain I found very boring and this film has done nothing to change that thanks to a very overrated Rob Zombie as director.
½ November 15, 2016
This has a bad story and unlikable characters.
½ November 6, 2016
The most stupidest and disappointing Halloween movie ever. It is horrible than the first remake. A complete waste of time.
½ November 2, 2016
As much as I detested Zombie's 1st stab at taking on the Halloween universe, this entry, as strange as it is, finally feels like Zombie has let loose and reinvented the story and characters that John Carpenter and Debra Hill first introduced. After a truly intense opening sequence (that was more suspenseful than anything in his first Halloween film), Zombie reintroduces us to Laurie Strode, who, after surviving the rampage of the first film, isn't handling it too great. It's a brave choice that few sequels make and Scout Taylor Compton seems up for the challenge of seeing just how far she can go without having the audience turn on her character. Zombie's film is surprisingly character driven with the (mostly) unrelated kill scenes in the first two acts relegated to, what feels like, studio imposed afterthoughts. The real deaths in the film are treated with reverence and deep respect. A character's demise late in the film is, perhaps, one of the most heart wrenching moments of grief ever explored in a horror film and actors Compton, Harris, and Douriff give it there all. In fact, the film is at its best when it's exploring the fractured family dynamic between those three. Granted, the film has a few missteps (less time spent on Michael, his ghostly mother, and a white horse the better), but it's a truly unique sequel in the Halloween canon and one of the most bonkers films to get a wide, mainstream release.
½ October 27, 2016
This movie is absolute dog shit.
½ October 22, 2016
Horrible movie...not only was it a waste of money... it was a loss of time. If you want to hear swearing every other word, see lots of blood you will get that and that only....wow what a bad movie!