Hair - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hair Reviews

½ December 2, 2016
I'd never heard about this until I went to Eastern Europe.
August 28, 2016
One of the best movies ever.
½ August 1, 2016
Despite Milos Forman's uneven approach, Hair is an energetic, subversive and vibrant rock-musical responsible for some of the most iconic songs of the 70's.
½ July 5, 2016
Aside from the catchy tunes, Hair is a deeply flawed musical comedy trying too hard to break the boundary and ultimately failed.
June 15, 2016
So the songs were kind of terrible, the performances were awful, the message is totally wrong, and it was unfortunately filmed a decade too late. But, I gotta say I was pretty entertained by it and it had a kind of charm that I couldn't resist. It really reminded me of another movie that I totally can't stand, "Godspell," but just from hazy memory I think I liked this more as a film despite the message of Godspell probably being better.
½ June 15, 2016
The movie is uneven and seems like it was made about ten years too late (while today it feels dated), but it is made worth it by its songs, its irreverence in the way it wants to capture the free spirit of those rebellious times and its timeless message in favor of peace.
May 25, 2016
Great movie that perfectly captured the sixties.
August 2, 2015
I'm so torn because on one hand this movie is shot fantastically- a really great film adaptation of a more abstract play that could have been a mess. On the other hand, I just don't really like the play. The music is mostly forgettable and doesn't hold up, plus the message and plot are sophomoric (but then again, so was a lot of the hippie movement). But this movie is well cast, well sung and visually fun... I feel like I can't punish it because I'm not the biggest fan of the source material.
July 1, 2015
Well, at least I now can get a better understanding of what the end of The 40-Year-Old Virgin was referencing. A few solid songs and sequences in this (Age of Aquarius/title song/ending), and solidly made, but not my thing overall. Interesting from a time capsule point of view. Could have used a stronger/more memorable cast. Looking at the date of release, Hair is actually a period piece, not being made in the moment of actual hippydom. The play was written closer to the actual movement, but 1979 seems a little late for this film. It's not like, say, Easy Rider, that came out right during the time of the counterculture. Interesting choice for Milos Foreman after the great One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (and right before the also great Amadeus).
April 15, 2015
An iconic movie that shares the twin properties of being better than its source (the play) and of still being relevant today almost 50 years later.
January 13, 2015
Hair is my all-time favorite musical film. That pretty much sums up. I love it.
½ November 17, 2014
A great musical with a surprising ending.
½ October 26, 2014
Wish it would have stuck closer to the source material. Aside from that, cool film.
October 6, 2014
The music is great. The characters are quirky and lovable. This movie makes me happy.
September 15, 2014
Like "Amadeus" after it, "Hair" shows Milos Forman's excellent sense for adapting plays, his understanding that to make it work as a film, you may have to change a few things. In the case of "Hair," the musical is scrapped and rebuilt from the ground up, given a coherent plot, definable characters, a more traditional narrative structure, and all of this while not losing an ounce of the play's radical spirit or surprisingly timeless message. The performances here are, if not real, then real enough (especially Treat Williams' riveting Berger and, in a brief but flooring role, Cheryl Barnes as the forgotten fiancee of one of Berger's hippie friends), and the cast handles one of rock theatre's best scores with both respect and unmatched talent.
August 21, 2014
Milos Forman's screen adaptation of the breakthrough musical about madcap songs and dizzy hippies benefits from the artistic liberation of 1970s filmmaking, when cinema was at its most artistically rebellious.
April 28, 2014
One of the few musicals that I've ever enjoyed watching, and probably the only one that I don't mind random citizens joining in to sing a song they've never heard before.
April 17, 2014
C'est bien, mais la finale... SÃ (C)rieusement ?!?
February 20, 2014
Um filme incrível do inicio ao fim, ótimo figurino e grande atuação Jhon Savage, Tret Willians e maior ainda e mais surpriendente é Dorsey Wrigth, para quem havia o visto anteriormente em The Warriors não imaginava que ele cantava e dançava da maneira que faz nesse filme. As musicas são ótimas e um dos melhores finais que já vi em um filme.
½ November 21, 2013
This may have played differently during the 70s when the world was just coming out of the turbulent 60s, but to me, today, I find the protagonists to be a pack of sociopaths and the supposed uptight aristocratic squares being taken hostage by these long haired hippies have my full sympathy. They didn't ask to be intruded on, they don't like hearing their profane speech, and they don't take kindly to their rudely interrupting their weddings when they were not invited. I hated the hippies and I thought they weren't dealt with harshly enough. Treat Williams hints at the smarmy charm that he would later use to great effect in his later villain roles, and he's the most manipulative of the whole bunch. I wanted to see him get beaten by a mob or maybe by the soldiers he trolls when he visits the boot camp that Claude has been sent to. Maybe I just don't understand the hippie youth culture, and you know what, given what they're like in this movie, I think it's better left that way.