Harakiri Reviews

• Oct 26, 2019

Nerve-wrenching narrative!

Nerve-wrenching narrative!

• Oct 22, 2019

If you are expecting a samurai action film then look elsewhere; however, if you are fine with an initially slower pace this film will have you gripped by a tale of shocking wrong-doing and a man trying to set things right. This dark tale unravels in a manner one could attribute to a director like Tarantino and Tatsuya Nakadai absolutely owns the screen with his performance. Avoid, trailers / wikipedia / reviews that give away the plot and just let this film wash over you and I hope you'll love it as much as I did. Def one of the top samurai films of all time. 10/10

• Oct 12, 2019

An epic tale to convey an important message- In human misery, honor merely means anything than living.

• Jul 22, 2019

"Harakiri" shows the pain of reality, harakiri culture, and Japanese culture into the minds of viewers, raising many questions while interpreting the symbol of the tradition. There is a parallel, creating a symbol of exposition from a different perspective but we still see him as we listen to him. Easy to draw a line, with more political debates about morality. There is a good reason why humans suffer too deeply. Because, as we know, especially in this pop culture era, samurai isn't just about sword and sword. It's about identity, personality, and a sense of Japanese discipline towards themselves; for the sake of the name, for the sake of the clan, in order to maintain honor and dignity.

• Jul 14, 2019

Sly, slow moving, brilliant. Best use of interiors and exteriors in any film I have ever seen...Kobayashi's masterpiece.

• Feb 17, 2019

This is what filmmaking can accomplish in its best moments...apart from stardom, fancy effects or big budget...nothing more to say

• Nov 10, 2018

This film was solid.

This film was solid.

• May 09, 2017

I guess this is where I look like the big, dumb, ignorant American. I've never been all that fond of foreign films because of reading subtitles. Many times I've been able to get over that because the action and story have overshadowed that aspect. In Harakiri it was much harder. A big part of my problem is the fact that this whole movie is just guys telling stories. So there's a lot of dialogue, and it feels like I'm reading a book. Now that's basically the only major problem I had with Harakiri. If I was reading this as a book it would be a thrilling one. The characters experience some heavy emotional battles, and the confrontations between the ronin and the members of the house of Iyi are intense. There's even a few actual sword fights in the film, including one at the climax that is crazy. I certainly wouldn't call Harakiri boring, which was a concern considering all that dialogue. Tatsuya Nakadai is superb in the lead role. He has a line delivery that makes it clear he's pretty much dead inside. However, he also has a few moments where he shows more emotion, and it works so we know what he's feeling. Akira Ishihama was also great as the younger ronin. His desperation was palpable. The violence and blood is about what you'd expect from a movie titled after a method of suicide, even in black-and-white it's tough to watch. I was unsure where the plot would go from the beginning, and I loved the first story. On the flip side, it seemed that once Tsugumo got into his story I knew where it was heading. There was a lot I saw coming in that tale, and I kind of wanted it to go a little faster. Again, I admit that I'm being a dummy with a short attention span. I can see why Harakiri is so beloved, and I liked it. There were just a couple of aspects that didn't fit my personal taste and kept me from loving it.

• Apr 05, 2017

Visually Appealing. A samurai tale about vengeance and honor.

Visually Appealing. A samurai tale about vengeance and honor.

• Feb 12, 2017

Harakiri is an excellent samurai film with emotional storytelling, profound themes, gorgeous cinematography and very engaging fight scenes