Hardware Reviews

• Jun 06, 2020

I was fortunate enough to see this in the cinema during it's initial run. Never seen anything like it at the time. This movie still scares the hell out of me.

• May 08, 2020

Lots of blood, lots of killing. All the gore is well done, and the robotics are decently executed. But, it still ends up being a lot of yelling and screaming, amounting to not too much.

• Feb 25, 2020

Pretty good. It has great moments. But not great.

Pretty good. It has great moments. But not great.

• Aug 11, 2018

Nastily claustrophobic, low-budget sci-fi horror with some stunning imagery and a blast of a soundtrack. Cult '90s classic from Richard Stanley.

• Aug 18, 2017

Hardware turned me on to the band 'Ministry' Iggy Pop, Gwar, Motorhead , Public Image LTD. Nearly two decades later, Hardware retains its merciless poise, and while the filmmaker has slipped into obscurity, his finest work still lunges for the throat.

• Jan 07, 2017

I had a friend in college that worked in the movie theater. I got to go see this gem for free. It was the worst sci-fi movie ever. Low-budget effects, intellectually-challenged dialog, throw in some sex and violence to try and make it remotely interesting... FAIL FAIL FAIL! Don't waste money or time on this.

• Sep 23, 2016

If you like red and black and robots... a must see... or not :P

If you like red and black and robots... a must see... or not :P

• Aug 25, 2016

Whaaaaaaaaat! I found a movie that I haven't rated and reviewed yet. I saw Hardware in the theatre when it came out. It was not very good but had a few moments as I recall...its been 26 years, give me a break! I did not know that it was diirected by Richard Stanley who made the ill fated Island of Doctor Moreau.

• Jul 22, 2016

Some have called it a precursor to T-2, or simply the prototype for all techno-dystopian genre films to come. All that is perhaps a bit overstated, but cult UK director Richard Stanley's thinking-man's midnight movie -- which centers on a sentient, homicidal robot terrorizing residents in a futuristic slum (and features a hunky, young Dylan McDermott with a bionic arm!) -- has some cheap thrills, shocking gore, machine-on-human innuendo to rival Demon Seed and an underlying message not out of step with acclaimed predecessors like They Live. But mostly, Dylan McDermott with a bionic arm.

Gimly M Super Reviewer
    Jul 22, 2016

I can't sit here and tell you that Hardware is outright "good", but what I can do is recommend it anyway. At least I can if you think your tastes might be even fractionally similar to mine. If you go in for 80's cinema, cyberpunk, PiL, Motorhead, Iggy Pop, Post-Apocalyptia, Psychedelia, sex, drugs and rock & roll, practical effects and Dylan McDermott, or you think you could go in for any of those, then give Hardware a chance. At a runtime of just 94 minutes, you haven't got much to lose.