Harold and Maude - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Harold and Maude Reviews

½ April 14, 2017
This movie is for teenage hippies who listen to 21 Pilots to fill their self-inflated depression.
April 10, 2017
Film ini mengemas kisah cinta yang antik dengan cukup menarik, banyak memorable scenes, kualitas akting kedua pemain utama yang cukup mengesankan, serta dilatari dengan musik Cat Stevens yang menambah hidupnya alur cerita.
½ April 10, 2017
This is pretty much the essential dark comedy of all dark comedies. Besides Colin Higgins subversive screenplay and Hal Ashby's natural yet odd humor, the performances from everyone involved, even those in very minor roles are just all works of beauty. I do think the soundtrack is overused in the film but it's still an extremely hilarious, extremely beautiful and also meaningful classic film that's always enjoyable every time you watch it.
March 29, 2017
I used to think people who said they liked Harold and Maude were full of it, but after seeing it I have to admit that there really is something alluring about this incredibly strange love story. It is essential viewing for any film lover. (First viewing - In my early twenties)
March 5, 2017
A different way to look at the world. And another lost rating flixster.
February 5, 2017
One of the best movies I've seen. The movie takes the viewer through a variety of absurd situations that might befall someone put in an awkward situation of trying to understand life. It had me laughing and crying within the first 5 minutes, and kept me going from beginning to end. Great musical score by Cat Stevens too.
February 4, 2017
Truly quirky black comedy (in every mortuary sense of the word) has a young man obsessed with staging elaborate suicide attempts form a strange bond with an 80 year old widow. This all happens despite his mother's attempts at finding him a more 'suitable' girlfriend.
January 17, 2017
Hal Ashby's cult classic is a dark, offbeat and ultimately heartbreaking romantic comedy that rises on Ruth Gordon's lovely performance.
½ November 20, 2016
Ruth Gordon is usually fun/interesting to watch but i did not like this at all.
November 9, 2016
Every now and then a movie comes along that is so "in" and "artistic" that we're supposed to think it's wonderful --- despite the fact that it has little plot and no really interesting characters. This is one of them...
November 4, 2016
Some say that this film is an example of bad taste, but I think that it is an example of very good dark comedy. Yes, it's dark in parts, too dark, some say, but it's all about light and shade. The film is much more than just a vehicle for rattling cages and challenging sensibilities, it's also heartwarming and life-affirming, not to mention very funny. I'm a big fan.
October 26, 2016
The first goth falls for the first Manic Pixie Dream Matron. Weak soundtrack by Cat Stevens. Should've used Holy Modal Rounders or even Beach Boys.
½ October 16, 2016
Glad I saw this before I died (ha-ha!)
½ September 21, 2016
Harold and Maude is one sick and morbid comedy, but for all of its perversity or perhaps because of it, the film has a tenderness and humanity that is hard to ignore.
½ July 3, 2016
I decided to see this film after seeing it on a list of classic comedies. I didn't expect it to be a dark comedy, something of which I am usually not a fan. I generally don't like them since I don't find them relatable, and this wasn't an exception. I can see why some would enjoy it, as the abnormal main characters get into all sorts of hijinks. Their unconventional May/December romance is also somewhat endearing. I can appreciate how original this was for the time, and I enjoyed seeing parts of the San Francisco Bay Area from 45 years ago.
½ July 1, 2016
Harold and Maude (1971) C-91m. ? 1/2 D: Hal Ashby. Ruth Gordon, Bud Cort, Vivian Pickles, Cyril Cusack. Pickles' brilliantly subdued performance is only virtue of this overly self-satisfied, boring film about boy who's fascinated with death and routinely kills himself out in public to embarrass his mother. Not the film it should have been; a confusing misfire.
½ June 13, 2016
Insightfully deep with fantastic performances from every cast member, Harold and Maude is wonderfully heartwarming, while maintaining a dark enough tone to avoid sappiness.
May 22, 2016
Harold and Maude is one of the most peculiar films I've ever sat through and its jet-black comedy will definitely not sit right with most viewers; but I enjoyed it quite a bit and there's not too many films I've seen like it. The film centers on a unique relationship between a young teen, Harold, who's obsessed with death and an elderly woman, Maude, who is overjoyed with life. They are brought together by their mutual affection for funerals where Harold wallows in the grief and Maude lightens the mood. The two then become inseparable as they bring out the best in one another and go on a myriad of insane adventures with Maude truly being one of the most unpredictable characters I've ever seen, literally stealing cars at a whim and disregarding every law in the book. The film's style can only be described as Wes Anderson meets the Addams Family, and this film has inspired many filmmakers today to produce off-beat and quirky cinema. One of the more hilarious aspects of the film is Harold's constant torturing of his mother and the girls she tries to set him up with where he performs fake, but realistic-looking suicides, that really layer the film's creativity and they always made me laugh. As the film goes along, Harold and Maude's relationship grows more romantic as they are the only two people who understand one another and this is obviously the film's most controversial area. I went into this film with an open-mind, much like I did with the film, Her, and I applaud this movie for taking such a mature look at sexuality, regardless of the age-gap, and while it is pretty wrong for an 80 year-old woman to be having intercourse with a 16 year-old kid, the psychology between them makes it more than believable. This is a very special film that digs deep into the psyche of the two main characters and as we learn more about their pasts, we become deeply attached to both with Harold's, wiser-than-his-years maturity, and Maude's larger-than-life spunk. It's a challenging film that can be analyzed to no end, and it's a film I will never forget due to the incredible writing, emotional connection, and fantastic, upbeat soundtrack!
½ May 18, 2016
It might be a little too strange and opaque for some, but Harold and Maude is a hilarious film, and surprisingly touching too, even if there is a occasionally muddled aspect to the storytelling.
May 10, 2016
Probably the basis for every Ben Stiller movie ever made. Hipsters will like it.