Harold and Maude - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Harold and Maude Reviews

March 10, 2017
(First viewing - In my early twenties)
March 5, 2017
A different way to look at the world. And another lost rating flixster.
February 5, 2017
One of the best movies I've seen. The movie takes the viewer through a variety of absurd situations that might befall someone put in an awkward situation of trying to understand life. It had me laughing and crying within the first 5 minutes, and kept me going from beginning to end. Great musical score by Cat Stevens too.
February 4, 2017
Truly quirky black comedy (in every mortuary sense of the word) has a young man obsessed with staging elaborate suicide attempts form a strange bond with an 80 year old widow. This all happens despite his mother's attempts at finding him a more 'suitable' girlfriend.
January 17, 2017
Hal Ashby's cult classic is a dark, offbeat and ultimately heartbreaking romantic comedy that rises on Ruth Gordon's lovely performance.
½ November 20, 2016
Ruth Gordon is usually fun/interesting to watch but i did not like this at all.
November 9, 2016
Every now and then a movie comes along that is so "in" and "artistic" that we're supposed to think it's wonderful --- despite the fact that it has little plot and no really interesting characters. This is one of them...
November 4, 2016
Some say that this film is an example of bad taste, but I think that it is an example of very good dark comedy. Yes, it's dark in parts, too dark, some say, but it's all about light and shade. The film is much more than just a vehicle for rattling cages and challenging sensibilities, it's also heartwarming and life-affirming, not to mention very funny. I'm a big fan.
October 26, 2016
The first goth falls for the first Manic Pixie Dream Matron. Weak soundtrack by Cat Stevens. Should've used Holy Modal Rounders or even Beach Boys.
½ October 16, 2016
Glad I saw this before I died (ha-ha!)
½ September 21, 2016
Harold and Maude is one sick and morbid comedy, but for all of its perversity or perhaps because of it, the film has a tenderness and humanity that is hard to ignore.
½ July 3, 2016
I decided to see this film after seeing it on a list of classic comedies. I didn't expect it to be a dark comedy, something of which I am usually not a fan. I generally don't like them since I don't find them relatable, and this wasn't an exception. I can see why some would enjoy it, as the abnormal main characters get into all sorts of hijinks. Their unconventional May/December romance is also somewhat endearing. I can appreciate how original this was for the time, and I enjoyed seeing parts of the San Francisco Bay Area from 45 years ago.
½ July 1, 2016
Harold and Maude (1971) C-91m. ? 1/2 D: Hal Ashby. Ruth Gordon, Bud Cort, Vivian Pickles, Cyril Cusack. Pickles' brilliantly subdued performance is only virtue of this overly self-satisfied, boring film about boy who's fascinated with death and routinely kills himself out in public to embarrass his mother. Not the film it should have been; a confusing misfire.
½ June 13, 2016
Insightfully deep with fantastic performances from every cast member, Harold and Maude is wonderfully heartwarming, while maintaining a dark enough tone to avoid sappiness.
May 22, 2016
Harold and Maude is one of the most peculiar films I've ever sat through and its jet-black comedy will definitely not sit right with most viewers; but I enjoyed it quite a bit and there's not too many films I've seen like it. The film centers on a unique relationship between a young teen, Harold, who's obsessed with death and an elderly woman, Maude, who is overjoyed with life. They are brought together by their mutual affection for funerals where Harold wallows in the grief and Maude lightens the mood. The two then become inseparable as they bring out the best in one another and go on a myriad of insane adventures with Maude truly being one of the most unpredictable characters I've ever seen, literally stealing cars at a whim and disregarding every law in the book. The film's style can only be described as Wes Anderson meets the Addams Family, and this film has inspired many filmmakers today to produce off-beat and quirky cinema. One of the more hilarious aspects of the film is Harold's constant torturing of his mother and the girls she tries to set him up with where he performs fake, but realistic-looking suicides, that really layer the film's creativity and they always made me laugh. As the film goes along, Harold and Maude's relationship grows more romantic as they are the only two people who understand one another and this is obviously the film's most controversial area. I went into this film with an open-mind, much like I did with the film, Her, and I applaud this movie for taking such a mature look at sexuality, regardless of the age-gap, and while it is pretty wrong for an 80 year-old woman to be having intercourse with a 16 year-old kid, the psychology between them makes it more than believable. This is a very special film that digs deep into the psyche of the two main characters and as we learn more about their pasts, we become deeply attached to both with Harold's, wiser-than-his-years maturity, and Maude's larger-than-life spunk. It's a challenging film that can be analyzed to no end, and it's a film I will never forget due to the incredible writing, emotional connection, and fantastic, upbeat soundtrack!
½ May 18, 2016
It might be a little too strange and opaque for some, but Harold and Maude is a hilarious film, and surprisingly touching too, even if there is a occasionally muddled aspect to the storytelling.
May 10, 2016
Probably the basis for every Ben Stiller movie ever made. Hipsters will like it.
April 21, 2016
Certainly an underrated movie. Highly recommend!
April 5, 2016
Just a wonderful, beautiful movie about love, acceptance, and living life out loud! One of the craziest beginnings to a movie that I've ever seen! The upbeat music of Cat Stevens and then crrrrckkk! Quite the juxtaposition with the theme of suicide/death! And what a crazy way to meet someone! Wow! I would like to also put Harold's mother up for the Worst Mother in a Movie - Ever award! Her filling out his dating survey is just classic! Gordon and Cort are perfectly cast! Cat Stevens music is so interestingly upbeat and opposed to the darker themes of this movie, and the repeated use of his "If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out" really works! Other things I loved about the movie: the craziest military salute ever, the super creepy priest at the end, the mention of Petaluma (the town north of me), the scene at Land's End in S.F., and the excellent use of classical music too! And it ends just as it begins, perfectly! Harold and Maude - two peas in a pod!
March 4, 2016
1971's ''Harold and Maude'' is a quirky and dark romantic comedy, but also outrageous and ludicrous at times. A tenaciously eccentric film, which some will reject out of hand. Others will find it profundly moving and life affirming.
In my opinion i'm on neither's side, i dont reject the movie nor do i hate it, but neither do i adore it like many people do. I think it's an original, special, quirky movie with good performances and interesting screenwriting, but that's all it is.
Like the crititics consensus states: Hal Ashby's comedy is too dark and twisted for some, and occasionally oversteps its bounds, but there's no denying the film's warm humor and big heart.
Which is something i fully concur with.

I dont love Harold and Maude, nor do i hate it. I think it's fine entertainment, and it will go down in history that this is one of the most original movies in the ''unconventional friendships'' sub-genre.