Harold and Maude - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Harold and Maude Reviews

September 16, 2017
The art director ruined this movie for me. Him and the costume designer. The story was good. But I just can't stand what it looks like.
September 14, 2017
Some say that this film is an example of bad taste, but I think that it is an example of very good dark comedy. Yes, it's dark in parts, too dark, some say, but it's all about light and shade. The film is much more than just a vehicle for rattling cages and challenging sensibilities, it's also heartwarming and life-affirming, not to mention very funny. I'm a big fan.
August 20, 2017
A charming movie, that uses a somewhat strange relationship that necessitates a second glance, to give a very sweet take on the "someone shows the main character how to really live" genre. Unfortunately the movie is so repetitive in what feels like the same scenes for a very good deal of it's run time, which hold it back from delivering a five star review.
½ August 14, 2017
Who can forget how odd this relationship is a boy of 18 who fantasizes about committing suicide and an 80 year old Maude who lives life til the bitter end!
With songs by Cat Stevens and you have a winner of a Movie. I give this movie *4.5* stars. By the way Maude commits suicide on her 80th birthday, Because she does not want to be a burden on anyone. I know how she feels because I am 65 years old and my body is already giving out on me and I do not want to
be a invalid that needs to wheel me about!!!!
August 10, 2017
One of the best movies I've ever seen! Great story, great acting, very entertaining, so many life lessons, and a great love story!
July 29, 2017
Harold and Maude was not at all what I expected. It has a dark comedic style that starts right from the beginning. Harold is a morbid young man who's obsessed with death. The humor worked for me but I could see it being tough for some. There's also something interesting that happens as you watch the film, because you find that you start to become desensitized to Harold's behavior much like his own mother. I started off genuinely disturbed, and never would have thought that minutes later I'd be laughing at similar things.

The magic of Harold and Maude starts with the performance of Bud Cort. He delivers a lot of personality as Harold and somehow makes you care about a young man who has some serious issues. His character goes through a real arc in the film and you can feel it in his portrayal. Ruth Gordon provides an interesting counterpoint as Maude. Her wacky carefree attitude almost seems like it would clash with Harold. However, the two of them have a strange connection in the film and it seems to enrich both of them.

While Harold and Maude took me completely by surprise, I was delighted how much it clicked with me. The story is off the wall, darkly humorous, and also emotional at times. There were some parts in the second half that I didn't love as much because they took things to an extreme that seemed unbelievable. At a certain point you'd wind up in jail without question. I suppose there's a level of whimsy in the film and someone could ignore the illogical, but that aspect didn't quite work for me. I also struggled a bit with the ending, because it was, well let's just say...disappointing. Still the movie was funny and overall a winner.
June 4, 2017
Truly quirky black comedy (in every mortuary sense of the word) has a young man obsessed with staging elaborate suicide attempts form a strange bond with an 80 year old widow. This all happens despite his mother's attempts at finding him a more 'suitable' girlfriend.
½ June 3, 2017
Dark comedy at its best.
May 17, 2017
Very dark comedy but sooooo funny. There's definitely no other movie quite like this one.
½ April 14, 2017
This movie is for teenage hippies who listen to 21 Pilots to fill their self-inflated depression.
April 10, 2017
Film ini mengemas kisah cinta yang antik dengan cukup menarik, banyak memorable scenes, kualitas akting kedua pemain utama yang cukup mengesankan, serta dilatari dengan musik Cat Stevens yang menambah hidupnya alur cerita.
½ April 10, 2017
This is pretty much the essential dark comedy of all dark comedies. Besides Colin Higgins subversive screenplay and Hal Ashby's natural yet odd humor, the performances from everyone involved, even those in very minor roles are just all works of beauty. I do think the soundtrack is overused in the film but it's still an extremely hilarious, extremely beautiful and also meaningful classic film that's always enjoyable every time you watch it.
March 29, 2017
I used to think people who said they liked Harold and Maude were full of it, but after seeing it I have to admit that there really is something alluring about this incredibly strange love story. It is essential viewing for any film lover. (First viewing - In my early twenties)
March 5, 2017
A different way to look at the world. And another lost rating flixster.
February 5, 2017
One of the best movies I've seen. The movie takes the viewer through a variety of absurd situations that might befall someone put in an awkward situation of trying to understand life. It had me laughing and crying within the first 5 minutes, and kept me going from beginning to end. Great musical score by Cat Stevens too.
February 4, 2017
January 17, 2017
Hal Ashby's cult classic is a dark, offbeat and ultimately heartbreaking romantic comedy that rises on Ruth Gordon's lovely performance.
½ November 20, 2016
Ruth Gordon is usually fun/interesting to watch but i did not like this at all.
November 9, 2016
Every now and then a movie comes along that is so "in" and "artistic" that we're supposed to think it's wonderful --- despite the fact that it has little plot and no really interesting characters. This is one of them...
October 26, 2016
The first goth falls for the first Manic Pixie Dream Matron. Weak soundtrack by Cat Stevens. Should've used Holy Modal Rounders or even Beach Boys.