Highlander Reviews

• May 17, 2020

I see Highlander as your not-so-typical '80s flick. The '80s were riddled with action movies, many being fun, yet cheesy, some being rather stupid, but still fun, others being straight up godly, and the rest are just trash. This movie is fun, with a little cheese, and a hint of godliness. The story is interesting enough on its own. There are these people that are immortal! Where did they come from? No clue. Why don't they age? Don't know. If there's only one left, they lose their immortality. Why is that? Never explained. But that's okay; you don't really need to know. The characters aren't bad either, in my opinion. Conner is the type of character that sees his immortality as more of a curse and wishes he could grow older and die like a human. And you got your sort of average love interest, Brenda. She does pretty much what you'd expect once you meet her. There's nothing wrong with it, I don't think, but you might find it cliche. The action is pretty nice too. There's sword fights, which all look real enough and have some intensity. Clancy Brown plays the villain, which probably already sounds awesome, but wait until you see his sword (Guts would be proud). The acting, for the most part, is okay. Nothing bad, nothing mediocre, but I wouldn't say it's good. And the music is really nice. Queen sings a couple songs, which automatically boosts the movie's likability scale. So I'd say go watch it. You just might have fun

• May 15, 2020

I really enjoyed Highlander because it's really entertaining and great songs by not other then the Queen.

• May 12, 2020

Very weird premise with a bit of a silly story however there are some cool sword fighting scenes. Film rolls along better with Sean Connery in the frame.

• May 07, 2020

A movie with no redeeming quality but that does have some entertainment value. Sean Connery's magic as an actor once again proves that he can pick up a turd by the clean end, though portraying an Egyptian Spaniard is humorous. One noteworthy item: Very little CGI. The movie centers around a pagan culture that are immortal & can only die if decapitated, and 'the gathering' ends when only one remains and he wins a nebulous prize. Discussions about immorality equal the discussions addressed about the Greek &, later, Roman gods as to the quality of immortal life. The movie industry follows it's visceral receipt for movie making: Pagan fantasy, some skin, gore, & mindless constant action. Not terrible, but not much more than mildly entertaining.

• Apr 15, 2020

There can be only 1... Why? No one knows, but who cares; swords, hot highlander, over the top bad guys, immortals, it's fun and exciting.

• Feb 10, 2020

A film that is perhaps better remembered for its tagine than for its plot or characters, Highlander was directed by a man previously responsible for making music videos, and it shows. There's a lot of funny angles, odd editing tricks and hyperactive camerawork. It's a mythological story about immortal beings fighting across the centuries, existing among us without our knowledge. It's a pretty campy film, with a somewhat silly premise that actually takes itself very seriously. Christopher Lambert, who spoke no English prior to signing on to play Macleod, demonstrates the weirdest Scottish accent I've ever heard on film, with the actor's French intonations constantly sneaking through. It always feels like he's fighting against it, and as such he never seems to really settle into the character. Sean Connery plays, apparently, an Egyptian living in Spain, and I read that he was supposed to be demonstrating a Spanish accent he had been practising. Strange, then, that he sounds exactly like Sean Connery. Much like in The Untouchables, where he allegedly played an Irishman, yet still used his native accent. But it is still Sean Connery, a man having a lot fun for the brief time he has in front of the camera. I enjoyed watching it, but can't say I'm among those who view it as a cult classic. I won't be watching it again anytime soon, but I was still glad to see a film that went unappreciated in its time, but has since gone on to earn a devoted following.

• Feb 06, 2020

"By the way, Ricky, I watched the Highlander movie. It was shit!" - Jean Girard

"By the way, Ricky, I watched the Highlander movie. It was shit!" - Jean Girard

• Feb 01, 2020

The film has the look of the first Terminator with everyone even wearing similar outfits and some similar sets. With immortals who try to cut off each other's heads. The cast and a killer Queen soundtrack make it the best of the franchise. Even if the story is a head scratcher "no pun intended."

• Jan 20, 2020

A cult classic must see for pop culture knowledge, but it hasn't aged well.

A cult classic must see for pop culture knowledge, but it hasn't aged well.

• Jan 20, 2020

I like the opening and how they connect the violence both a wrestling match and a medieval fight have in common. Both are not far from each other, the only difference being people are actually paying to see people fight. Kind of a sickening thought but the way they conveyed that idea was well done. Ooo a katana! The fight scene with all the backwards flips was so random. I'm very interested in knowing what the fuck is going on. This movie is ridiculously disorienting and I don't care about any of the characters. Clancy Brown's voice is awesome. "Of course you are". That line was great. I can't believe he's the voice for Mr. Crabs. This dude's accent is really pissing me off. He sounds retarded like he's trying to sound like a mix of French, Scottish, and Spanish. Dude, what the fuck is this getup that Connery's character has on? And the eye liner? Like, why? Why all this flamboyant endogenous shit? And even more so, why was Connery okay with it? I'm having a hard time watching this movie. I will say the landscape and castle shots of Scotland are breathtaking. I wish to one day visit the countryside of Scotland. The lore of the movie, like the history of the sword and all the immortal stuff mixed with history, is interesting but I can't help but feel like the movie's style and vibe is a bit silly and cheesy at times. There's a lot of goofs but in the end, I find the movie's silliness charming and funny. I will say, that last fight scene on the rooftop was really well done with all the structure coming down and the water tank falling. The special effects are good too, very similar to the ones used in Poltergeist. That animation sequence at the end was impressive. In the end, this ended up being a surprisingly good movie even though the beginning was kind of muddled and took some time to get interesting. Final note: this movie is filled with perfect memes just waiting to happen (that one scene where they're on the beach and he yells, "I feel him!" and also another one towards the 25, 30 minute mark, the part where Kurgan gets into the car with the old lady - hilarious, the "hello, pretty" scene).