A History of Violence Reviews

• Jun 15, 2019

The dialogue and shots are nearly verbatim the graphic novel, but the intrigue and suspense are all because of great pace and direction.

• Jun 08, 2019

A History of Violence has had it's aspects when it comes to body horror by David Cronenberg which does not have anything to do with body horror. It's based on the graphic novel. So when I had heard about A History of Violence, I've heard that it's going to be violent and yeah, I was right. It had some violent scenes that are bloody and will keep you on a big impact. Viggo Mortensen plays an diner owner, Tom Stall, who lives with his wife and kids in the small town of Millbrook, Indiana. One night, two robbers attempt to rob the restaurant but Tom saves the day by killing them in self-defense. After this, Tom is at hospital while the news went worldwide making him a hero. Then the next day, Carl Fogarty played by Ed Harris visits Tom in the diner calling him Joey Cusack who Tom says he's never been to Philadelphia so now Fogarty stalks the Stall family and he'll kill him if he doesn't come back to Philadelphia with him. When it comes to David Cronenberg when he is known for making body horror flicks about changing bodies, this one is not about that. Actually, that reminds me. I saw a deleted scene which is known as "Scene 44" for some bizarre reason which features a dream sequence in the diner, where Fogarty tells Tom he will kill him and his family which leads him to kill him with a shotgun and then he shoots back. While the director was amused by the idea he then rejects by leaving it out of the movie. I enjoyed this film even if it's not your typical film by David Cronenberg. I like the acting in this which is something that grabbed your attention. Viggo Mortenson and the other cast did good. Viggo's character is a regular guy who used to kill people back in Philadephia and now goes on with his life and doesn't want his wife and kids to know about his past. He's a great character who knows what he's doing and living his normal life. William Hurt is also great in this but he's only in the film for eight minutes considering that he was nominated for an Academy Award. And the ending just leaves you in emotion where it's all silent when Tom returns home. If you haven't heard of this movie or won't understand what it is about then I suggest you check it out and then you will understand it. Give it a try.

• Jun 07, 2019

Worked for me very well.

Worked for me very well.

• Feb 06, 2019

Amazing exploration into the question of nature vs nurture! Great performances all around, highlighted by William Hurt's entrance later in the film.

• Feb 01, 2019

The best gangster movie ever made!

The best gangster movie ever made!

• Jan 20, 2019

It's good but could have been so much better. I wish they had dragged out the question of whether he's Joey or not (and made it scarier). And I didn't like the way this guy was superman and killing everyone in situations where he's a lone wolf (except for his son saving him once). Viggo is an amazing actor and did a great job with a poor/ok script. The tension when debating if he was Joey was palpable and very fun to watch.

• Nov 11, 2018

Beautifully crafted movie.

Beautifully crafted movie.

• Oct 22, 2018

Excellent movie. No better way to describe it.

Excellent movie. No better way to describe it.

• Sep 19, 2018

its not a bad movie but it doesnt have any of the juice that i like about cronenburgs movies, he totally changed his style to make bland soap opera like dramas

• Sep 17, 2018

mannerism foliates its space and crowdedness equally.. A History Of Violence A History Of Violence is a character driven dramatic thriller about a guy whose hidden past haunts him back to his family after he leaves his street credit behind. The feature is surprisingly fast and utterly exhilarating to the core with its street ruggedness and raw brutality that grounds this stunning craft. The range of its narrative is fascinatingly wide and it excels on each peak moments that it dares to achieve. It is sharply calm with a jagged script behind the screen that is slowly ticking along with it which when hits its allotted frame, it explodes emotionally that leave an everlasting impact on you. The background score is decent, the sound effects are sharp and aptly loud, the art designing may not be in its A game, the cinematography is stunning and so is its fine editing. Despite of resonating tremendously with practicality, it glorifies its malleable mythological characters with such panache that leaves the audience in an awe of it. Mortensen is poised, reserved and profoundly calm in its horrifying portrayal with Harris supporting convincingly as always and Hurt giving some of his career's best work in here. Olsen's adaptation tells a compelling gritty tale whose mannerism foliates its space and crowdedness equally. And armed with a script as such Cronenberg executes the anticipated vision on screen with his finesse and a bit of pepper added in it, that makes it raunchy. The short screenplay enfolding characters and eye popping decisions which is also justifying to the core as much as entertaining it is, along with a stellar performances by a cast of such caliber are the high points of the feature. A History Of Violence has a plethora of emotional distress in here to keep the tense environment alive among the characters and the hook that binds them all.