A History of Violence - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A History of Violence Reviews

½ May 4, 2018
A very different movie from the other body-horror works that David Cronenberg made in his career. This film focuses much more on the examination of violence and crime, and protecting your own. And, like many Cronenberg films, A History of Violence is a very entertaining and intense movie, with a great lead performance by Viggo Mortensen, and tones of thrills and gore. It reminds me a lot of Straw Dogs (1971). I'm a fan of Cronenberg movies, but I never had any idea that he directed this one, but it's definitely a must-see for anyone. Recommended !!
April 26, 2018
A History of Violence explores an interesting theme of whether one can really change? If someone has become completely different, should they still be judged by their acts of the past? I don't know the answer, but it's a fun brain teaser that this movie explores.
April 9, 2018
A History of Violence.

Great movie, a very intriguing and quietly disturbing movie about violence and its cost, presented in a pretty intimate way. I don't think I've ever seen a movie which explores the subject of violence quite in this fashion. There was a lot to digest here and think over after the movie was done.

Viggo did a good job in his role, but his acting still felt a bit rigid at times. A little too aloof and stoic. But on the other hand is may just be attributed to the character's behavior. So I don't have a lock on that. The rest of the actors did a fine job (Ed Harris did a great job), mostly serviceable.

It was a bit too on the nose with the music. This idyllic theme played over (in my opinion) too many of the peaceful scenes. Yes, I get it that you're setting a contrast here between the peaceful life and the violent one, but it's a bit thick. The soundtrack overall sounds a bit dated. A very classic approach to scoring a movie. But there were still good uses here, in certain scenes the idyllic score turns melancholy and fits perfectly with the depressing subject matter and its apparent irresolution. The uncertain future.

I think the story was well done, I honestly did not expect the major beats of this movie to be aligned the way they were. It was refreshing.

So yeah, a competent movie about a very interesting and morbid subject, which goes about exploring its themes in a rather creative and solid manner. Great cast, too.
½ January 16, 2018
Started out good enough, but ended up just being ok in the end. Definitely not bad, by any means, that's for sure, just not quite that good either.
December 23, 2017
See A History of Violence for its shocking scenes of heroic acts and it's edge of your seat suspense! I'm still in awe of this movie from the beginning to the last scene!
November 2, 2017
I appreciate the fact that Cronenberg's graphic novel adaptation was his own and not a silly stylistic attempt as was Rodriguez's "Sin City." I enjoy being in this little town, the diner with great coffee, close friendly people like Sam the officer. The film becomes less satisfying when we break away from this setting, but that's all part of the experience. Tom/Joey wanted to maintain the small town life too, he just as much doesn't want to be here. We all have to suffer for his past.
October 31, 2017
Director, David Cronenberg (Scanners, The Fly) directs an intense crime thriller about the past of an individual, and how it can come back to haunt you. This film is cleverly made, and lots of action and violence (the expected from Cronenberg). The acting by the cast is top notch, and the score from Howard Shore, is amazing. Overall, I absolutely loved this film, and it's Gate.
October 23, 2017
Fantastic movie. My favorite action drama film. Ed Harris is a fantastic villain.
October 17, 2017
This is probably my favorite movie that David Cronenberg directed. I love almost everything about it, even though it sometimes slows the pace down. All of the lead performances are quite good. I highly recommend seeing this movie if you haven't already done so.
½ October 16, 2017
A lurid work of cinema, answering to its ambitious promise, that is, the studying, following and dissecting of violence, 'A History of Violence' does it with style and wit - and it's a film which remains and reminisces, being so artistically appealing. Nevertheless, it can just as well serve as entertainment, and should not target a limited audience. Briefly, Cronenberg's flick has as much juice as it has intelligence and it's a film which calls not for its complete understanding, but for its viewing, to be then given the ability to occupy our brains with its original new thoughts.
October 10, 2017
A tense emotional thriller. David Cronenberg at his best, with a stellar cast all pulling their weight. Small town family life contrasted with big city mob violence focused on the efforts of one man to leave his past behind and build a new life.
½ September 28, 2017
Fantastic comic-book adaptation!
August 15, 2017
After watching the trailer I was looking forward to watching this movie, but it fell flat for me. The storyline sounded good, but the movie turned out different than I thought it would.
½ August 6, 2017
Feels very old-fashioned. At first, I thought it was purposeful, but the segue I expected never happened. Feels more like a product of the 90's than the mid-00s. Viggo is very good, though.
½ July 18, 2017
Not much to write home about, not as good as I remembered.
½ July 6, 2017
Too silly action movie.
July 1, 2017
When a pair of petty criminals attempt to rob his small-town diner, Tom Stall (Viggo Mortensen) quickly and easily kills them both. In the flush of news coverage of Tom's seemingly heroic actions, a threatening stranger named Carl Fogarty (Ed Harris) comes to town, fingering the unassuming family man as long-missing Philadelphia mobster Joey Cusack. To the horror of his wife, Edie (Maria Bello), and teenage son, Jack (Ashton Holmes), Tom finds he must confront his violent past.
½ June 3, 2017
Haven't seen this one in a long time, a very interesting and compelling story with some great direction but the acting and tone is awkwardly off at several points.
May 16, 2017
I Like Graphic Violence, Swearing, Sex And Nudity.
May 12, 2017
Came out of nowhere this movie. Very clever, with an unsettling creepy tone. Superb acting from the whole cast.
I want to see Ed Harris play a violent gangster again!