A History of Violence - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A History of Violence Reviews

August 15, 2017
After watching the trailer I was looking forward to watching this movie, but it fell flat for me. The storyline sounded good, but the movie turned out different than I thought it would.
August 11, 2017
Director, David Cronenberg (Scanners, The Fly) directs an intense crime thriller about the past of an individual, and how it can come back to haunt you. This film is cleverly made, and lots of action and violence (the expected from Cronenberg). The acting by the cast is top notch, and the score from Howard Shore, is amazing. Overall, I absolutely loved this film.
½ August 6, 2017
Feels very old-fashioned. At first, I thought it was purposeful, but the segue I expected never happened. Feels more like a product of the 90's than the mid-00s. Viggo is very good, though.
½ July 18, 2017
Not much to write home about, not as good as I remembered.
½ July 6, 2017
Too silly action movie.
July 1, 2017
When a pair of petty criminals attempt to rob his small-town diner, Tom Stall (Viggo Mortensen) quickly and easily kills them both. In the flush of news coverage of Tom's seemingly heroic actions, a threatening stranger named Carl Fogarty (Ed Harris) comes to town, fingering the unassuming family man as long-missing Philadelphia mobster Joey Cusack. To the horror of his wife, Edie (Maria Bello), and teenage son, Jack (Ashton Holmes), Tom finds he must confront his violent past.
½ June 3, 2017
Haven't seen this one in a long time, a very interesting and compelling story with some great direction but the acting and tone is awkwardly off at several points.
May 16, 2017
I Like Graphic Violence, Swearing, Sex And Nudity.
May 12, 2017
Came out of nowhere this movie. Very clever, with an unsettling creepy tone. Superb acting from the whole cast.
I want to see Ed Harris play a violent gangster again!
May 8, 2017
A History of Violence is the perfect small contained story. The entire cast is incredible epically Viggo Mortenson. David Cronenberg useses violence perfectly to get his message across. The script is great and really makes you think about what you would do in the characters situation.
May 7, 2017
I really enjoyed this punchy movie; thoroughly entertaining. Family drama/noir with a splattering of cronenbergian gore.
April 21, 2017
A History of Violence is a great movie with an enormous performance by Viggo Mortensen. Its a history of violence and family.
April 14, 2017
Gratuitous sex and violence, poor acting, but still interesting plot.
April 12, 2017
This is a great flick all the way around, from the slow, measured pacing, to the terrific cast and the sudden, sharp bursts of violence that punctuate the film.

Cronenberg knocks this one out of the park and creates a really interesting character, as even the audience is kept guessing just who Tom Stall might really be.

Recommended.
½ April 6, 2017
I had never heard of this movie. I loved the sex and violence. Vigo Mortensen is great and the supporting cast was well chosen. Some extra storyline that could in hindsight been trimmed. I liked how it went from a normal interaction to super violent. I didn't want it to end when it did, but I guess I would have complained about it going on too long if it had. I really liked this movie.
March 29, 2017
Another great drama by David Cronenberg that of course features his regular Viggo Mortensen.
"A History of Violence" is a great movie that captivates from the first moment. The movie unfolds in the typical "Cronenberg Style" layer by layer and piece by piece.
Mortensen delivers another amazing performance and shows why Cronenberg can always count on him. William Hurt, in his limited screen time, is even better and I wish we could've seen more of him.
The movie lives less from the story and rather from it's characters and the effects the events have on them. All the actors have a great chemistry.
Cronenberg does another great job directing and, as in many of his movies, the focus is more on the character building than the story. Also he is not afraid to show the violence and blood which really makes the movie more authentic.
The cinematography, also as usual, is excellent. The many medium shots and close ups are perfect for portraying all the emotions and feelings that are portrayed on the characters faces.
In conclusion we can say that "A History of Violence" is a great movie with Cronenberg's usual mystery and plot twists, great acting and usual great camera work.
February 6, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ February 5, 2017
I didn't know what to expect with this movie at all. I thought Viggo Mortensen was amazing, and he had a role with some real complexity to it. His performance made the rest of the plot work for me, because I genuinely questioned what was happening, and who he was in the past.

The action/violence sequences are powerful and have some great Cronenberg makeup effects in them. It was very well done, and pulled me into each one of those scenes. The stunt work was great, and I never felt like I missed anything because it was filmed well.

There was one aspect that I really hated, and that was the use of Greg Bryk as one of the killers in the opening scene. It threw me off so much because he kind of looked like a young Viggo Mortensen so I thought I was watching a scene of Viggo's past. It didn't make sense until the killers walked into the diner.

There's a very deliberate style to A History of Violence. In many ways it reminded me of the movie Drive (and I mean that in a good way.) It never becomes overly stylized, the main character almost never goes big with his performance but remains understated, and then amongst the quiet and calm the film is accentuated by startling violence.

I felt the movie was lacking something in the plot department, because once you get past the midway point it almost seems to run on autopilot. I was looking for a little something more, but the movie didn't quite deliver that. However there was enough there, and I felt connected to the characters so much that I keep thinking about A History of Violence days later.
January 30, 2017
While David Cronenberg shows his skill to set up a violent story environment, the lack of chemistry between its actors and the thin plot tend to overhelm.
½ January 28, 2017
Horrible film. It made very little sense, and it also had some really gratuitous and graphic sex and violence, while somehow (incredibly) still managing to be slow and boring. I can't believe so many people liked this movie. I was so disappointed. I like Viggo Mortenson and it got great reviews, so I was really looking forward to it. But it was really one of the worst I have ever seen and I created a Rotten Tomatoes account just so I could give this particular movie a bad review.