A History of Violence - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A History of Violence Reviews

November 2, 2017
I appreciate the fact that Cronenberg's graphic novel adaptation was his own and not a silly stylistic attempt as was Rodriguez's "Sin City." I enjoy being in this little town, the diner with great coffee, close friendly people like Sam the officer. The film becomes less satisfying when we break away from this setting, but that's all part of the experience. Tom/Joey wanted to maintain the small town life too, he just as much doesn't want to be here. We all have to suffer for his past.
October 31, 2017
Director, David Cronenberg (Scanners, The Fly) directs an intense crime thriller about the past of an individual, and how it can come back to haunt you. This film is cleverly made, and lots of action and violence (the expected from Cronenberg). The acting by the cast is top notch, and the score from Howard Shore, is amazing. Overall, I absolutely loved this film, and it's Gate.
October 23, 2017
Fantastic movie. My favorite action drama film. Ed Harris is a fantastic villain.
October 17, 2017
This is probably my favorite movie that David Cronenberg directed. I love almost everything about it, even though it sometimes slows the pace down. All of the lead performances are quite good. I highly recommend seeing this movie if you haven't already done so.
½ October 16, 2017
A lurid work of cinema, answering to its ambitious promise, that is, the studying, following and dissecting of violence, 'A History of Violence' does it with style and wit - and it's a film which remains and reminisces, being so artistically appealing. Nevertheless, it can just as well serve as entertainment, and should not target a limited audience. Briefly, Cronenberg's flick has as much juice as it has intelligence and it's a film which calls not for its complete understanding, but for its viewing, to be then given the ability to occupy our brains with its original new thoughts.
October 10, 2017
A tense emotional thriller. David Cronenberg at his best, with a stellar cast all pulling their weight. Small town family life contrasted with big city mob violence focused on the efforts of one man to leave his past behind and build a new life.
½ September 28, 2017
Fantastic comic-book adaptation!
August 15, 2017
After watching the trailer I was looking forward to watching this movie, but it fell flat for me. The storyline sounded good, but the movie turned out different than I thought it would.
½ August 6, 2017
Feels very old-fashioned. At first, I thought it was purposeful, but the segue I expected never happened. Feels more like a product of the 90's than the mid-00s. Viggo is very good, though.
½ July 18, 2017
Not much to write home about, not as good as I remembered.
½ July 6, 2017
Too silly action movie.
July 1, 2017
When a pair of petty criminals attempt to rob his small-town diner, Tom Stall (Viggo Mortensen) quickly and easily kills them both. In the flush of news coverage of Tom's seemingly heroic actions, a threatening stranger named Carl Fogarty (Ed Harris) comes to town, fingering the unassuming family man as long-missing Philadelphia mobster Joey Cusack. To the horror of his wife, Edie (Maria Bello), and teenage son, Jack (Ashton Holmes), Tom finds he must confront his violent past.
½ June 3, 2017
Haven't seen this one in a long time, a very interesting and compelling story with some great direction but the acting and tone is awkwardly off at several points.
May 16, 2017
I Like Graphic Violence, Swearing, Sex And Nudity.
May 12, 2017
Came out of nowhere this movie. Very clever, with an unsettling creepy tone. Superb acting from the whole cast.
I want to see Ed Harris play a violent gangster again!
May 8, 2017
A History of Violence is the perfect small contained story. The entire cast is incredible epically Viggo Mortenson. David Cronenberg useses violence perfectly to get his message across. The script is great and really makes you think about what you would do in the characters situation.
May 7, 2017
I really enjoyed this punchy movie; thoroughly entertaining. Family drama/noir with a splattering of cronenbergian gore.
April 21, 2017
A History of Violence is a great movie with an enormous performance by Viggo Mortensen. Its a history of violence and family.
April 14, 2017
Gratuitous sex and violence, poor acting, but still interesting plot.
April 12, 2017
This is a great flick all the way around, from the slow, measured pacing, to the terrific cast and the sudden, sharp bursts of violence that punctuate the film.

Cronenberg knocks this one out of the park and creates a really interesting character, as even the audience is kept guessing just who Tom Stall might really be.

Recommended.