Hoot - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hoot Reviews

½ November 28, 2016
"Hoot" is a piece of work. It is everything that is wrong with family films. Every time that Disney releases a new film, families flock to the theater for an experience that will be entertaining and meaningful to all. While the most important thing is for Disney to make families happy, they also make the critics happy. If you look at their 2016 releases, Rotten Tomatoes rates them at 98% (Moana), 86% (Pete's Dragon), 75% (The BFG), 94% (Finding Dory), 30% (Alice Through the Looking Glass), 94% (The Jungle Book), and 98% (Zootopia). There is no excuse for a production company to release a film like "Hoot" that earned a whopping 26% when Disney can put out a consistent stream of quality, family-friendly films. While this is a review for "Hoot," I think it is important that we acknowledge that we all take Disney films for granted.

Now back to the movie at hand. What makes it so bad? Here is a short list: Poor acting, a bad script, an unnecessary Jimmy Buffet character, 17-year-old Brie Larson playing a middle school student, a soundtrack of Jimmy Buffet singing a compilation of his own and other peoples' music, a tired "Save the Earth" story, and an unnecessary closing credits song by Jimmy Buffet called "Good Guys Win (Every Once In A While)." It contains nearly every stereotype of a poorly made family film, complete with a big bully that gets beat up by a little protagonist, a clumsy cop (played by none other than... Luke Wilson?) and a Tiananmen Square-style showdown with a bulldozer. I'm sure that kids were entertained by this movie but there is literally nothing in it for adults, which I consider to be a failure on the part of the writers. Disney has shown us that kids movies can appeal to the entire film (and movie critics!) but "Hoot" completely fails to cater to anyone other than preteens.
October 14, 2016
Even though for a kids movie, the stunning shots of the Florida landscape and great music at the hands of Jimmy Buffett provide a decent movie about kids defeating adults to save the lives of baby owls. I highly recommend reading the book, for it is much better.
½ August 11, 2016
This film not only fails as a kids film, but as a motion picture in general. Feels like a low-budget TV film.
½ July 22, 2016
7/22/2016: The moral of the story is good, but that was really it. The plot was mostly boring and didn't provide any real suspense.
½ March 12, 2016
Doesn't really hold up to the book, but is a good adaptation. Captures the spirit and is an overall enjoyable movie with good young actors and a good story.
January 9, 2016
is THIS the book ashley, kenneth, and pat were talking about?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
October 17, 2015
anything but a masterpiece,but kept me interested by being decently amusing.
September 17, 2015
The script could have used a reboot.
½ May 6, 2015
Don't let Hiaasen's film adaptation fool you! the film's economic story falls like a pancake.
½ April 2, 2015
If you want your kids to be blindly indoctrinated into the world of eco-terrorism, this is a great movie, if not then DO NOT RENT IT. It could have been a training film from Greenpeace/PETA and the Animal Liberation Front. Where any tactics are fair game to promote your own agenda. This includes vandalism, law breaking, destruction of private property etc. I am sorry I rented it and sent it back as soon as I realized what its purpose was, and its not to entertain you, its to brainwash your children!
February 28, 2015
Charming at times, but its pretty cheesy and doesn't convey the passion that the book had.
November 10, 2014
How awful was that school crap?!
August 24, 2014
It's a very good film with both good message and sights of Florida and, of course, owls. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
August 3, 2014
This movie is so forgettable, I saw it years ago and have had this account for almost a year, and I just now remembered it. Hoot was a fun book, but the movie comes off as an uninspired and dull tale. It has its moments, but it's a completely forgettable film because its nothing we haven't already seen a million times over. You don't really acre about the characters, and the subliminal messaging is all too obvious. There isn't much else to say because I don't really remember this movie. Hoot gets 2/5 stars (C-).
½ June 29, 2014
This film is twisted when you really think about it. I rarely like giving away plot points or endings so if you don't want spoilers at all, do not continue beyond this point. So, in the end, it turns out that the three kids committed a number of property crimes (trespassing etc) but that was rendered all justifiable because the animal they saved was an endangered one. First, this implies that any means, at all, that somebody takes to prevent the destruction of an animal's habitat, is justified because they are endangered. Further, that they are justified in doing this on their own, and not, for instance, contacting the EPA or their foreign equivalents. This puts animal rights above legal consequences. Second, this implies that such justifications would not have been applicable, had the animal not been endangered. This puts one set of animals, and their habitats above and beyond another set of animals, and their habitats. This is in spite of the fact that the kids did not realize the animal was endangered until the end. Thus, their entire effort was for naught, until the animal was discovered on the EPA's protection list. As is standard, if I sat through the whole thing it gets at least 10%.
June 17, 2014
The movie is awesome.
Y'all are the ones who lack.
I did watch it and still watch it again and again.
The movie is entertaining and you can even sleep to it.
Those types of movies are wonderful.
The cast and the crew did a phenomenal job on the movie.
The movie is one of my all time favorite movies.
That implies a lot because I am picky about movies.
June 7, 2014
A nice and sweet family movie with a good message
April 22, 2014
this was a cute movie
April 8, 2014
Does the fact that a bunch of owls somehow manage to act better than 90% of the cast a detriment? Not really, but the owls are the best part of this by a long shot.