Howard the Duck - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Howard the Duck Reviews

February 17, 2017
Saw this film as a kid - forgettable, tacky weirdness with a marketing icon for a main character. Read the comics!! The only intentionally oddball, socially satirical, postmodern (sorta) comic I know of from a major comics company. Author Steve Gerber was a genuine talent !! Unfortunately the film rights were just picked up and developed by the wrong people.
February 15, 2017
what can I say about this film, lets look at the positives (yes there are positives) it's fun and zany, its filled with a lot of good and interesting ideas. there was potential here but it was wasn't well executed. A bit of a mess. This is another failed George Lucas production.

I felt they could have done a superman like origin story or even had Howard being a bounty hunter/space traveler.

In saying all that I did like it. If you like a bit of mindless fun that's a little different Howard the Duck is for you.
January 30, 2017
Awesome it as a really god movie
½ January 9, 2017
A muddled movie that doesn't have a clue who it's target audience is. However, taken at face value (and if we ignore the awkward sexual dialogue between Lea Thompson and the duck) it's not actually a bad movie - it's just a confused one.
½ November 20, 2016
With bad acting, horrible writing, unimpressive special effects and painfully unfunny humor, Howard the Duck is a shrill, loud and surprisingly mean-spirited comedy that alienates its own audience.
½ November 4, 2016
Conceptually annoying. but its execution isn't totally terrible.
October 20, 2016
This film was considered a huge failure in the box office. Honestly, it was quirky and weird, but it doesn't earn the title as one of the worst films of all time. I liked the concept. The characters were a bit week, but I loved the fact that Lea Thompson did all of her own singing. Rating: 6 / 10
September 27, 2016
Terrible. Just terrible.
September 26, 2016
This is one of the most underrated movies of all time. Sure, there are some slow spots but the funny moments are worth the trip.
½ September 25, 2016
Horrible, horrible, horrible. Jeffrey Jones brought a lot of his personal pain into his performance though.
½ September 15, 2016
Howard The Duck(1986)
Starring:Lea Thompson,Jeffery Jones,Tim Robins,Ed Gale,Dominique Davalos,Holly Robinson Peete,Liz Sagel,Paul Guilfoyle
Directed By:Willard Huyck
Review
YOU WILL BELIEVE THAT A DUCK CAN TALK.
From the guy who brought you Star Wars here is his decline as a good director/producer,Howard The Duck. A long time ago a great filmmaker helped make a parallel dimension in a galaxy far,far away. A strange world with bizarre aliens and unbelievable creatures. A world that the Scifi community will never forget,ok screw it it's Howard The Duck. ANd you thought Jar Jar Binks was bad wel he still is but Howard is equal to him.
The film centers on this crazy cigar-chomping extraterrestrial duck named Howard who is accidentally beamed to earth and finds love with a pretty punk-rock singer. But their happiness is threatened when a space demon comes down from the beam that brought Howard.
This has got to be the worst Marvel movie ever, its so bad bad it makes Elektra look Oscar worthy. It's the worst thing George Lucas help make since Star Wars Episode I which I think came after this shit. Apart from being silly,stupid and surprisingly boring this film is so mean spirited everything is shot in the dark,someone or something is always trying to kill Howard it's just a very unpleasant stupid movie with stupid and obnoxious characters that you couldn't give two shits about.
You will believe a duck can blow. This film blows a half out of five.
½ September 13, 2016
Son of a bitch, that is weird now.
½ September 10, 2016
Howard the fucking boring duck sucks
August 24, 2016
Marvel has really quacked the code on a good movie.
August 1, 2016
Prime example of an 80's cult classic film.
½ July 31, 2016
This is a terrible movie on multiple levels. It's an awful adaptation of the source material, completely missing the satirical tone that made the comic book so much fun to read. It can't even settle on it's own tone. It seemingly wants to replace the adult atmosphere of the source with a kid-friendly tone, but then there's Lea Thompson in sheer underwear threatening to have sex with a duck. (I'm not complaining about the former, but the latter sure adds a sour taste to the proceedings.) Seemingly completely unaware of what it wants to be, it substitutes terrible overacting and loud effects laden action for entertainment. Absolutely wretched.
July 2, 2016
Well I finally got around to watching this mess of a movie. I feel really bad for the people involved in the making of this. The plot was bizarre and the dialogue was poor. The duck was more annoying then funny. The special effects were decent but overall it was not great. I'm glad some people like this movie but I'm not one of them.
½ June 28, 2016
Stupid movie, but the overlords are still kinda frightening to watch! Hey, at least it got me interested into checking out the comics!
May 31, 2016
Why do people hate on this movie? I loved it growing up and still do today.