Howl's Moving Castle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Howl's Moving Castle Reviews

½ November 24, 2016
Beautiful. Absolutely stunning movie that speaks to your soul.
½ November 11, 2016
Beautifully animated, touching and packed full of fantasy entertainment.
November 2, 2016
Studio Ghibli at it's best. Lovely heart warming film suitable for children (over 8) and Adults alike. Animation is fabulous and the story is superb.
October 23, 2016
Everything is perfect about this movie. I would recommend to anyone with good taste in movies.
September 26, 2016
This is Ghibli at its most beautiful. If you're a bookie looking for something that abides strictly by its script, this isn't what you're looking for-- but is still something you NEED to watch. It takes a good story, and makes it even better. We see Ghibli's absolutely stunning art and animation (hell, watch it for just the art alone), and a love story that transcends age but does not angelify the person we at first assume is "perfect". The characters are not perfect, which makes them perfect. Do you follow?
At the same time, Ghibli again has no antagonist, yet again dodging perhaps the biggest cliche of all time-- one that everyone ignores.
I rewatched this movie like 5 times, and would do it again. There is so much detail to be gained from rewatching it, and I highly recommend any Ghibli fan to do so.

That being said, Ghibli did take a f*ck up on this one, which was probably the author's fault (I forget quite what happened in the book); and that's the time paradox. Frankly, it makes as much sense as...nothing?
While bonus points from themes of war and the criticism of the world's current state makes up for the stink awful plot twist, it is still a flaw.

PS - Why for fucks sake is the studio listed as "Buena Vista"? WHERE DID THAT EVEN COME FROM!?
September 20, 2016
Finally got around to seeing this. Beautiful art, touching story - and great themes. I loved that this wasn't really a good vs. evil kind of plot, it was something a little bit different than that. It was more a story and less a movie, if that makes sense. I also loved that the plot seemed to keep re-inventing itself as the movie moved along. Because of that, however, the plot was a little bit hard to follow at times, which is my only complaint. A must see for those like me who are constantly hungry for a new story.
September 16, 2016
seriously in love with this film! you should watch this.
½ August 15, 2016
may be confusing! but very entertainment..
August 13, 2016
The animation is something out of a painting, the story seems off point at times, shifting between fantasy and real world, it's hard to keep up. Some parts lose direction through the movie and it's all not very clear cut, but then again, when does Miyazaki ever adhere to the rules? When you're in Hayao's world it's best to just enjoy the ride.
August 9, 2016
Great visual delight and wonder.
June 11, 2016
A good graphic movie for family to enjoy. I like how it is a Japanese movie that is animation it's pretty interesting to see. I do think it could be better though
May 14, 2016
Good enough, but the story felt a bit hollow in some places and it left me a bit..unfulfilled.
½ May 3, 2016
Howls Moving Castle is brilliantly brought to life by master director Hayao Miyazaki but its characters and some story elements are a bit flat.
Grade: B-
½ April 30, 2016
Full of the inspiration, magic, and beauty Hayao Miyazaki features are known for.
April 30, 2016
The book helps to explain a lot, but it's a nice summary.
April 28, 2016
The story is convoluted and we never get much of an explanation, but "Howl's Moving Castle" is another odd beauty to behold from distinguished director Hayao Miyazaki.
½ April 27, 2016
Truly great film. I fell in love with Howl in the film, and then read the book. Very glad I read the book after loving the movie, as it is a huge departure.
April 23, 2016
"The one thing you can always count on is that hearts change."
April 10, 2016
More imaginative than a barrel of monkeys, the story here is secondary to the execution, and the story is better than most by far. A fairytale, yes, but for young and old. Don't allow naysayers to put you off.