Howl's Moving Castle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Howl's Moving Castle Reviews

½ August 15, 2016
may be confusing! but very entertainment..
August 13, 2016
The animation is something out of a painting, the story seems off point at times, shifting between fantasy and real world, it's hard to keep up. Some parts lose direction through the movie and it's all not very clear cut, but then again, when does Miyazaki ever adhere to the rules? When you're in Hayao's world it's best to just enjoy the ride.
August 9, 2016
Great visual delight and wonder.
June 11, 2016
A good graphic movie for family to enjoy. I like how it is a Japanese movie that is animation it's pretty interesting to see. I do think it could be better though
May 14, 2016
Good enough, but the story felt a bit hollow in some places and it left me a bit..unfulfilled.
½ May 3, 2016
Howls Moving Castle is brilliantly brought to life by master director Hayao Miyazaki but its characters and some story elements are a bit flat.
Grade: B-
½ April 30, 2016
Full of the inspiration, magic, and beauty Hayao Miyazaki features are known for.
April 30, 2016
The book helps to explain a lot, but it's a nice summary.
April 28, 2016
The story is convoluted and we never get much of an explanation, but "Howl's Moving Castle" is another odd beauty to behold from distinguished director Hayao Miyazaki.
½ April 27, 2016
Truly great film. I fell in love with Howl in the film, and then read the book. Very glad I read the book after loving the movie, as it is a huge departure.
April 23, 2016
"The one thing you can always count on is that hearts change."
April 10, 2016
More imaginative than a barrel of monkeys, the story here is secondary to the execution, and the story is better than most by far. A fairytale, yes, but for young and old. Don't allow naysayers to put you off.
March 9, 2016
weird pacing so so ending but good movie in general
March 9, 2016
Devoid of substance but kids should like it.

A shy young woman, Sofi, is cursed by a bitter witch. As a result she becomes very old. She sets off in search of a means to break the curse. Soon she encounters a giant moving castle, owned by young man, Howl...

Pretty much your standard Hayao Miyazaki movie. Intriguing set-up but the movie quickly degenerates into a rambling adventure for a plot with random action scenes and equally random solutions to problems, and no character depth or engagement. Howl's Moving Castle escalates into randomness sooner than most, making it even worse than normal.

No real themes or profundities (par for the course, again). All this - rambling, random plot, lack of character depth, no profundities - make this unsuitable for intelligent adults. Kids should like it though.
March 2, 2016
I can't believe I waited so long to watch this one! This is probably one of the best stories I've encountered yet. Highly entertaining! !!
½ February 21, 2016
I've cried at every Miyazaki film, they're just too wonderful to take in.
½ February 14, 2016
An excellent film, and one of Miyazaki's absolute best. This is a masterpiece of an animated film, and is so much fun to watch. I love this movie.
February 12, 2016
I loved the book, and possibly loved the movie even more! I still haven't bought a copy yet, but it is on my to- purchase list.
February 7, 2016
Beautifully animated, touching and packed full of fantasy entertainment.