Howl's Moving Castle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Howl's Moving Castle Reviews

½ December 5, 2017
Howl's Moving Castle is admittedly much better upon second viewing and it features excellent world building and attention to detail. I really liked its historical period and the magical elements. The two main characters and their relationship are strong and the animation is magnificent and beautiful to look at. But this is still one of the more flawed Ghibli films with overwhelming action and a problematic narrative that leaves too many things unanswered and too many characters underutilized. Miyazaki was influenced by his 'Spirited Away' a bit too much and this is obviously a pale imitation of that classic film.
½ November 29, 2017
In terms of animation, it is just as exquisite and imaginative and colorful and detailed as anything Miyazaki has created throughout this career.
November 29, 2017
la amo, la musica, animacion e historia son impresionantes
½ November 27, 2017
Pretty to look at, but most of the story is too confusing to enjoy.
November 27, 2017
You see elements of Beauty and the Beast in Howl's Moving Castle and it works great with all of the other fantastical elements. The steampunk environment is beautiful to watch and the characters are top-notch. Although some of the story could be told in a less confusing way, you will still watch this film with a big smile on your face.
½ November 26, 2017
A near perfect film from the esteemed Studio Ghibli. The animation, voice work, writing, and especially the directing were all on point in this outing. The theme of what is more important is key here. Outer or inner Beauty, what is worth fighting a war for, and what is the value of the heart? These questions are threaded throughout this masterpiece. It is a shame that more western audiences haven't seen this film. I think it would spark a lot of good things in the hearts of us Americans. Just saw it again at a Fathom Event and it reminded me why I fell in love with this animation studio and their excellent films. Even the worst of their movies beats the best of most other studios today. The subtlety that Christian Bale brings to the character of Howl, when he could have easily went over the top, was perfect. Howl is a character that is nest left mysterious and quiet. His crescendo at the end will bring tears to the audience's eye after seeing the final move that he makes. Great film to introduce audiences to this fascinating studio and their work. Please go out and find it on Blu Ray or at a local theater for a Fathom Event. It is worth the time and money to watch. I'm jealous of those who get to experience it for the first time. I can't recommend this film enough.
½ November 21, 2017
7 7 7 7 7 8 7 8 7 7 = 72
November 21, 2017
½ November 9, 2017
9/10

Imaginative to no end, a beautiful fantasy tale.
October 24, 2017
Hayao Miyazaki returns with his next masterpiece, delighting both children and elders with it's fantastical story, exquisite attention to detail, whimsical music and great voice work from Christian Bale, Billy Crystal, Emily Mortimer, and the sweet disturbing voice of Lauren Bacall.
October 10, 2017
Beautiful....other worldly...surreal.....lovely
½ September 3, 2017
It's funny, well-mounted, and exceptionally animated by Miyazaki in perhaps his most visually beautiful film. Unfortunately, it also has his weakest plot and ending.
July 29, 2017
65% really good but the ending was confusing as hell
½ July 28, 2017
Avec son animation remarquable, son scénario complexe sans jamais être abscons et ses personnage particulièrement bien écrits et attachants, Le Château Ambulant s'impose comme un des tous meilleurs films de Miyazaki Hayao. En effet, ce film d'aventure est passionnant de bout en bout (malgré quelques petites longueurs dans le premier acte, comme d'habitude chez Miyazaki), rassemblant tout ce qui fait la carrière du réalisateur : des châteaux, une nature détruite par la guerre, des démons sans pour autant faire film-somme, comme pouvait l'être le décevant Chihiro. Le doublage est fabuleux, le score de Joe Hisaishi encore une fois au diapason, Le Château Ambulant est clairement une totale réussite.
July 26, 2017
"El Castillo Vagabundo" continúa demostrando la genialidad del gran Hayao Miyazaki. Esta es una historia fantástica con una animación preciosista que no defraudará a los fanáticos de la animación y a los seguidores del maestro de los estudios Ghibli.

Miyazaki toma como base la novela de Diana Wynne Jones acerca de una fabricante de sombreros llamada Sophie y su encuentro con un inteligente y hermoso hechicero llamado Howl, pero es convertida en una anciana por uno de sus antiguos enemigos. Sin embargo,
la adapta a los temas que lo obsesionan: la relación del hombre con la naturaleza, el absurdo de la guerra y el placer de volar.

Lo mejor de la cinta es el castillo que le da título tanto a la película como al libro, el cual le debe mucho al prólogo de "The Meaning of Life" de Terry Gilliam.
½ July 24, 2017
At this point I?ve seen 6 movies from Miyazaki, and I think it?s official that his style of storytelling doesn?t click with me. It?s odd, because it seems Miyazaki flat out refuses to use exposition to help the viewer figure out these new worlds he creates. However the first half of Howl?s Moving Castle took some time introducing the characters and establishing the world they lived in, and for awhile I caught up and was on board for the ride. Then there is a point where the movie goes off the rails. Strange things just keep happening with no explanation and no logic to them. At a certain point I disconnected from the story, stopped caring, and found myself waiting for it all to end. That?s not a good feeling to have at any time while watching a movie. I think that Howl?s Moving Castle has potential, and I see that it would be easy to connect with these characters. I just wish it didn?t drop into these weird acid trips that are impossible to comprehend. I think some of it was just visions or dreams as well, but they do nothing to differentiate those things visually, so I couldn?t tell what was going on. It?s a shame because I like the artistry in these hand-drawn animated films, but the story is so lackluster I don?t enjoy watching them.
½ July 10, 2017
Sweet, magical, and leaves you soaring, Howl's Moving castle is everything a Studio Ghibli film should be. With stunning visuals, a strong female lead character, beautiful score, and lessons about war and ageism, I couldn't ask for anything more. Well, maybe perhaps a better handling of the source novel's slam bang finish.
½ June 18, 2017
Una maravilla volverla a ver
June 16, 2017