Howl's Moving Castle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Howl's Moving Castle Reviews

½ November 9, 2017
9/10

Imaginative to no end, a beautiful fantasy tale.
October 24, 2017
Hayao Miyazaki returns with his next masterpiece, delighting both children and elders with it's fantastical story, exquisite attention to detail, whimsical music and great voice work from Christian Bale, Billy Crystal, Emily Mortimer, and the sweet disturbing voice of Lauren Bacall.
October 10, 2017
Beautiful....other worldly...surreal.....lovely
½ September 3, 2017
It's funny, well-mounted, and exceptionally animated by Miyazaki in perhaps his most visually beautiful film. Unfortunately, it also has his weakest plot and ending.
July 29, 2017
65% really good but the ending was confusing as hell
½ July 28, 2017
Avec son animation remarquable, son scénario complexe sans jamais être abscons et ses personnage particulièrement bien écrits et attachants, Le Château Ambulant s'impose comme un des tous meilleurs films de Miyazaki Hayao. En effet, ce film d'aventure est passionnant de bout en bout (malgré quelques petites longueurs dans le premier acte, comme d'habitude chez Miyazaki), rassemblant tout ce qui fait la carrière du réalisateur : des châteaux, une nature détruite par la guerre, des démons sans pour autant faire film-somme, comme pouvait l'être le décevant Chihiro. Le doublage est fabuleux, le score de Joe Hisaishi encore une fois au diapason, Le Château Ambulant est clairement une totale réussite.
July 26, 2017
"El Castillo Vagabundo" continúa demostrando la genialidad del gran Hayao Miyazaki. Esta es una historia fantástica con una animación preciosista que no defraudará a los fanáticos de la animación y a los seguidores del maestro de los estudios Ghibli.

Miyazaki toma como base la novela de Diana Wynne Jones acerca de una fabricante de sombreros llamada Sophie y su encuentro con un inteligente y hermoso hechicero llamado Howl, pero es convertida en una anciana por uno de sus antiguos enemigos. Sin embargo,
la adapta a los temas que lo obsesionan: la relación del hombre con la naturaleza, el absurdo de la guerra y el placer de volar.

Lo mejor de la cinta es el castillo que le da título tanto a la película como al libro, el cual le debe mucho al prólogo de "The Meaning of Life" de Terry Gilliam.
½ July 24, 2017
At this point I?ve seen 6 movies from Miyazaki, and I think it?s official that his style of storytelling doesn?t click with me. It?s odd, because it seems Miyazaki flat out refuses to use exposition to help the viewer figure out these new worlds he creates. However the first half of Howl?s Moving Castle took some time introducing the characters and establishing the world they lived in, and for awhile I caught up and was on board for the ride. Then there is a point where the movie goes off the rails. Strange things just keep happening with no explanation and no logic to them. At a certain point I disconnected from the story, stopped caring, and found myself waiting for it all to end. That?s not a good feeling to have at any time while watching a movie. I think that Howl?s Moving Castle has potential, and I see that it would be easy to connect with these characters. I just wish it didn?t drop into these weird acid trips that are impossible to comprehend. I think some of it was just visions or dreams as well, but they do nothing to differentiate those things visually, so I couldn?t tell what was going on. It?s a shame because I like the artistry in these hand-drawn animated films, but the story is so lackluster I don?t enjoy watching them.
½ July 10, 2017
Sweet, magical, and leaves you soaring, Howl's Moving castle is everything a Studio Ghibli film should be. With stunning visuals, a strong female lead character, beautiful score, and lessons about war and ageism, I couldn't ask for anything more. Well, maybe perhaps a better handling of the source novel's slam bang finish.
½ June 18, 2017
Una maravilla volverla a ver
June 16, 2017
The movie was amazing.
½ May 24, 2017
that ending made no goddamned sense...
May 10, 2017
This movie is my favorite movie of all time. It has bundles of fantasy, wonderful characters, and romance packed into it. A heart warming film with great animation made by one of the greatest animation studios ever. That missing piece people keep talking about is what I think makes it better. You wonder about their world and think that it's so casual they don't have to talk about it, so exploring it yourself in your mind makes you closer towards the characters. It inspired me to write books! I honestly find Spirited Away to be more confusing... But we all have opinions.
½ April 28, 2017
Howl's Moving Castle is so different from what you usually see in Western media, but in a totally cool and amazing way. Gorgeous, just like all Miyazaki films, this definitely merits at least one viewing.
April 9, 2017
engrossing. at times i felt it was a bit too absurd for absurdity's sake, but that is kind of the point anyway
April 7, 2017
Witty, charming but also polically and socially relevant, this movie is really gorgeous and inspirating.
March 31, 2017
Left a lot of unanswered questions, but was still worth a watch.
March 25, 2017
I love Miyazaki without a doubt, I don't hate, or even dislike any of his movies. Sadly, while I know a lot of people love this film, and I respect that, Howl's Moving Castle to my mind is the weakest Miyazaki film. I suppose it can make up for it's problems with it's creative characters and incredible visuals, but for me, it takes more than pretty pictures to make a film great, unless it's a movie that relies on visual storytelling, which in this case, it does not. My major problem with the movie is the story is pretty disjointed. I had to watch this movie a couple times just to know exactly what this movie was about because it's kind of complicated. So many ideas are in this movie, it makes the story not so easy to follow. Also I think the romance in the story is a bit underdeveloped and could have used a little bit of work, but thats me. Aside from that, HMC does have like I said before, creative characters, amazing visuals, and it does have many memorable moments and scenes. I do like this movie, does it have some problems? yeah, but it's Miyazaki and his films have it's own charm, and many people seem to love it, so I'm not going to be so critical about it
½ March 19, 2017
I thought this movie was really awesome. That part at the end where the little flame kissed Sophie was way too cute. Although it's somewhat different than the book, it was still very good.
½ March 18, 2017
Miyazaki, the genius creator of the award winning masterpiece "Spirited Away" brings another spectacular tale of imagination.