Hugo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hugo Reviews

January 17, 2017
Great film! Really enjoyed this, as will you.
January 16, 2017
Hugo is a film that I greatly appreciate. First off, the visuals are spectacular. The film look and feels very elegant and whimsical. It's definitely a visual treat.
½ January 14, 2017
A beautiflly directed movie that doesn't quite reach the heights of magic i was expecting. I thought the robot would have some powers to pull the kid out of the clocktower, and not just be a sappy movie about a mans film legacy. Whatever.
½ January 14, 2017
wonderful visual, but bad acting from the kids, lack of a sense of story telling.
January 11, 2017
Nota: 9.1/10 - 4.3/5
½ January 11, 2017
Just finished this movie for the first time and I am angry at myself for waiting so long to see this film. Hugo is a film made for movie lovers like me. When people talk about magic in film this is what they mean. This film is pure movie magic. You get great performances from Asa Butterfield, Chloe Grace Moretz and Sacha Baron Cohen but the stand out performance is Ben Kingsley. But don't let that fool you because the true star of this film is Martin Scorsese with his directing. You can tell Scorsese is a film lover and it comes off the screen so beautifully. Everything about this movie is great from the directing, acting, cinematography, and the score. This is film making at it's best. The only reason I didn't give it the 5/5 is because it is a little slow but don't let that stop you from seeing this unbelievable movie!
January 7, 2017
It's okay, I guess. The thing I enjoyed most was noticing the number of actors I recognized, which doesn't say a lot for the story's ability to hold your attention. Come to think of it, it almost seemed like the movie was purposely distracting from the story with its visuals, quirks, and digressions, which, I guess, is fair enough because the kids don't have that strong of a presence as the other actors to guide the movie. One forced plot point that aggravated me was the necessity to keep the toy shop owner's background unknown, because it led to unrealistic and forced character moments. Speaking of forced, holy crap did the kid actor's face seem to be struggling to stay in character.
January 6, 2017
This film looks amazing!
December 30, 2016
It's good movie to watch
½ December 25, 2016
Cool story, cool visuals
December 25, 2016
A sweet story, wonderfully acted, and visually impressive. Seems a bit sparse and sketched at times, but the former makes up for the latter, and it's few and far between anyways.
December 24, 2016
What a wonderful, wonderful heartwarming joyous film for people of all ages. If you love movies and movie history this is deeply moving and a "kid's film" that adults will love just as much.
½ December 15, 2016
Finally watched this movie on BlueRay. What a piece of garbage. 1st of all, why are all the people who are supposed to be French, speaking in British English accents??? Don't you think an intelligent reviewer would pick up on that? How's that for stretching reality and the truth of the original story. But then again, this is Hollywood at it's clumsiest...There seem to be 2 directors that always get a pass from every reviewer, no matter how bad their movies are - Martin Scorsese and Tim Burton. Even when they make really crappy movies, the reviewers praise them falsely.

The main character in Hugo, Asa Butterfield was completely miss-cast asusual. He has no emotion, and a completely flat performance that sucks. He has no charisma to draw the audience in and that is the same lousy performance he does in every film he is in.
The rest of the cast is merely adequate to this disjointed, confusing mismatch of 2 different stories that get "lost in translation", as they are not as the "book" tells it.
Yes, the cinematographer does a great job with the outrageous budget the studio gave them, and the film's photography is very pretty.

However, if Scorsese wants to do a film about the history of movies, let him write his own from beginning to end and not piggyback it as a con and a distortion on the back of a far superior writer.

I do not recommend this movie at all. It is a complete waste of film, money, and time. The book was great, this movie is an Unbelievable piece of junk.
November 27, 2016
very good best movie I've ever seen
November 25, 2016
Scorsese fait apparemment aussi des films pour un jeune public. Une belle introduction au travail de George Méliès!
November 23, 2016
very excellent film great choice of actors and good directing
November 21, 2016
Kids will probably not like this movie but someone who likes a good griping story about film than Hugo is for you.
½ November 14, 2016
'Hugo' takes its sweet old time getting to where it goes, but the third act provides us a satisfying finish to what turns into a fun journey. While not a typical Scorese picture, 'Hugo' is a refreshing change to the director's genre. A little Sasha Baron Cohen goes a long way and this teetered on that notion. The rest of the cast is delightful and the attention to detail was divine. Final Score: 7.2 of 10.
October 29, 2016
Wow, I love this movie, it really is magical.
½ October 27, 2016
As far as movies go, this is one of the best I have watched. Initially captured by later performances of Asa Butterfield, I had decided to go back and watch all of the movies he has starred in. This movie, amongst others of his, hit a chord of nostalgia unlike many other movies that I have watched. I was intrigued right the way through, the splendour of the magnificent visuals and the poignant characters all adding to this incredible movie. While the backstory behind 'Hugh' (Butterfield) is rife with plotholes, the movie will capture you in the magnificent tale of this young boy called Hugo, who will leave you wanting more, forgetting about the holes in the plot.