Hugo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hugo Reviews

½ June 18, 2018
Scorsese steps outside of his typically gritty box and achieves pure magic filming a gorgeous rendition of the popular children's book, "The Invention of Hugo Cabret." While pieces of the story change for the purposes of film, my personal opinion is that (and I'm going to offend hardcore readers here) it tried too hard to be a film version of a book. As a result, the first hour was very hard to sit through. It was long, it was slow, but so beautifully shot that I couldn't fall entirely asleep. However, the second hour more than made up for it. The movie, which takes a while to get to its point, eventually uncovers a sweet, precious film with a wonderful message. That is, our dreams make us who we are. If our dreams die, so do we. To "fix" ourselves, to truly live life, we must chase our dreams, even when we perceive ourselves to fail. Only then can we truly become what we were meant to become.
½ June 14, 2018
I need to see this again. Not that it is that good, but I need to see it again before I can rate it. So, yeah. But it is a good movie, no doubt.
½ June 6, 2018
Un film che non ha avuto un particolare successo di pubblico, ma che ha convinto e messo d'accordo gran parte della critica. Dal punto di vista stilistico e registico non c'è niente da dire: ottime inquadrature e movimenti di camera confermano il talento del famoso regista. Quello che non convince è la sceneggiatura, che a tratti risulta scontata e banale. Il feeling generale rimane comunque molto valido e ci riporta in un periodo storico amato da ogni appassionato di cinema, per questo motivo rimane una visione piacevole e coinvolgente.
½ May 13, 2018
Easily Scorsese's most visually impressive effort. At times the movie gets a bit too fanboyish about the early days of cinema but even at those moments you can feel that there's a real emotional connection to Méliès and his contemporaries.
May 9, 2018
Martin Scorsese, director of over 60 separate movies, has only directed one children's movie, a film called Hugo. When asked in a CBS 60 Minutes interview with Leslie Stahl if this film was slightly autobiographical, since Scorsese had quite a sickly and therefore lonely childhood, he said, "That, I think, was the first connection. I loved the idea of a young person who's unable to join in, 'cause of me with my asthma and that sort of thing" (CBS News). He also cited his interest in Georges Méliès, the filmmaker and director that Hugo centers on, as a reason why he signed onto this film. Méliès liked to experiment with different elements in his films, such as different techniques of editing. Scorsese said that he "wanted to use 3D as another storytelling element", because he wanted to explore new technologies, just like Méliès had done in his films. In Martin Scorsese's Hugo, a boy named Hugo learns about a mysterious old man's past, the filmmakers using beautiful cinematography and special effects to create a visually stunning and entertaining film while also conveying the message that all hope is never lost.
Hugo Cabret, an 11-year-old boy, lives in the walls of a train station in Paris in the 1930's, taking care of the many clocks within. After the filmmakers introduce Hugo, viewers then come to know about an automaton, a machine resembling a human that his father found at the museum where he works. However, Hugo's father passes away in a fire at the museum before they fully fix the automaton, leaving Hugo in the care of his uncle Claude, the manager of the clocks at this train station. When Claude disappears one day, Hugo is left to tend to the station's clocks and fix the automaton alone. Hugo finishes fixing the automaton, but the machine will not properly work without a key in the shape of a heart. He then meets a girl named Isabelle, the goddaughter of the train station toymaker, and finds that she has the exact key that will fit into the keyhole of the automaton. After turning the key in the lock, the automaton relays a very cryptic message from Hugo's father pointing to the mysterious past of Isabelle's godfather, Georges Méliès (Hugo, 00:00:00-00:55:38). This begins a great adventure filled with mystery for both Hugo and Isabelle.
During the film, the filmmakers and editors use a mix of beautiful cinematography and stunning special effects to create a visually outstanding experience for viewers watching in 2D and 3D. When the film first opens, the inner workings of a clock transform into an aerial shot of cars circling the Arc de Triomphe (00:00:47-00:00:56). Scorsese uses this as a very interesting way to show the setting of the film, while also introducing clocks as a key element of the film. Peppered throughout the film are instances like the clock and Arc de Triomphe, with the post-production editing taking center stage to enhance the scenes in a somewhat obvious way. One example of this happens when drawings fall out of a box (01:00:52-01:01:24). The camera picks out specific pictures and slows their descent in a way that shows every detail. Another example of this happens when snow falls throughout the film. These scenes are edited to make the viewers feel part of the scene. In these ways, the editors and filmmakers make the viewers feel like characters in the film, watching the storyline unfurl right in front of them. Of course, these effects feel amplified for viewers watching in 3D. Instead of the snowflakes standing out slightly on the screen, they feel close enough to touch, and the pictures which originally floated past the camera gently now seem to jump off the screen. Using beautiful cinematography and post-production editing, the filmmakers and editors create an incredible experience for the audience.
Through this film's storytelling and special effects, filmmakers convey the message that all hope is never lost. At the beginning of the film, most of the characters have lost hope in some way. Whatever the cause, Hugo himself sums up this hopelessness when he says to Isabelle, "Maybe that's why a broken machine always makes me a little sad, because it isn't able to do what it was meant to do. Maybe it's the same with people. If you lose your purpose, it's like you're broken" (01:19:00-01:19:16). Hugo's statement actually conveys some measure of hope, since both machines and people can be fixed. As the film continues, each character grows in hopefulness. As they become more hopeful, their character flourishes. Filmmakers use characters from many different backgrounds to illustrate the message that hope is never lost.
In this film, a boy who seems to have lost all hope finds it, all while helping an old man rediscover his purpose. Filmmakers use beautiful cinematography and special effects to create a visually stunning display for people of all ages. This film is great to watch with the whole family. It has something for everyone. Not only does this film entertain the family, it also sends positive messages to children in a very subtle way. By watching this film, adults and children alike will get to experience the story in a way that feels real and genuine.
April 23, 2018
very entertaining family film that held my attention the while time. Must watch
½ April 13, 2018
captivating; both for casual filmgoers and film buffs, adults and kids. the sentiment is certainly interesting - it epitomises of why we go to the movies.
½ March 28, 2018
Hugo continues to be the most beautiful love letter to cinema that I have ever seen and, to me, watching it is the closest thing there is to the magical experience that is reading a children's book.
March 22, 2018
worst movie ever don't even bother watching it; its so boring!!!!!
March 16, 2018
Just watch it. Its good
½ January 30, 2018
Part children's adventure, part adult biography and part cinematic history, this movie set in the 1930s is beautifully innocent and visually sumptuous. Although at times it lacks direction and the purpose wavers, it all comes together in the end in this entertaining drama. I particularly liked the lighting and colouring. AAN GGN AFI 1001
December 25, 2017
M-F-O

9.3

[Martin Scorsese]
½ December 21, 2017
a wonderful story that ultimately falters towards the very end. still a good movie
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Una película tan sobre-valorada que tuvo que recurrir a la nostalgia para recoger buenas críticas - y unas cuantas nominaciones al Óscar - , aunque aún así sigue siendo un film esencial para los fanáticos del cine.
December 12, 2017
Good story but too slow and sleepy. First time I watched it was so boring. I watched it second time 5 years later with 2x speed it was much much better. The movie should've been made for just 1 hour of packed and fascinating story instead of 2 boring hours.
December 1, 2017
My full opinion: 4/4.
½ November 9, 2017
Hugo is great, is was perfect in every way.
November 8, 2017
Director Martin ?Scorsese transforms Hugo into a magical cinematic experience, while also showing us how movies started in the first place. Hugo is a rare gem that pays homage to the legendary filmmaker, ?Georges Méliès.
November 1, 2017
Absolutely brilliant movie by Scorsese. It is a children's movie for adults. By that I mean that it has the whimsical feel of a children's film with young actors, but its plot has complexity more akin to that of an adults drama. Again, absolutely brilliant film.