Hugo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hugo Reviews

June 25, 2017
Loved the originality of this film. Great soundtrack, great colors. A little confusing--at times it leaves a cliffhanger it doesn't explain until the end, which can be distracting from the rest of the movie. A little bit of hilarious editing, but mainly pretty well done.
½ June 23, 2017
Just finished this movie for the first time and I am angry at myself for waiting so long to see this film. Hugo is a film made for movie lovers like me. When people talk about magic in film this is what they mean. This film is pure movie magic. You get great performances from Asa Butterfield, Chloe Grace Moretz and Sacha Baron Cohen but the stand out performance is Ben Kingsley. But don't let that fool you because the true star of this film is Martin Scorsese with his directing. You can tell Scorsese is a film lover and it comes off the screen so beautifully. Everything about this movie is great from the directing, acting, cinematography, and the score. This is film making at it's best. The only reason I didn't give it the 5/5 is because it is a little slow but don't let that stop you from seeing this unbelievable movie!
May 1, 2017
Hugo is a film that I greatly appreciate. First off, the visuals are spectacular. The film look and feels very elegant and whimsical. It's definitely a visual treat. The story, while a bit problematic, is well-told, passionate, and magical
April 16, 2017
Hugo is plenty of fun for all ages with its gorgeous visuals, great cast, and a story filled with childlike wonder.
March 19, 2017
Marvelous! My kind of movie. Why have I not watched this sooner?
February 17, 2017
I love this tiny scale fantasy that mixed with a big size of fictionalization actual history.
February 13, 2017
Hugo is an incredibly artistic, original and deep children's and family film. Unique from many other family films of this era, Hugo also offers authentic details of the life of Georges Méliès.
February 12, 2017
Hugo is very nice to look at and it's full of quirky characters. It does a good job attempting to show appreciation for cinema but its disjointed story doesn't help.
February 11, 2017
Incredible movie with subtle meanings packed throughout.
Spot on writing, acting, designing, direction.
It's an awesome piece of awesome awesomeness.
January 26, 2017
I love everything about this movie. A beautiful love letter to the History of Cinema.
½ January 23, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Una película tan sobre-valorada que tuvo que recurrir a la nostalgia para recoger buenas críticas - y unas cuantas nominaciones al Óscar - , aunque aún así sigue siendo un film esencial para los fanáticos del cine.
January 17, 2017
Great film! Really enjoyed this, as will you.
½ January 14, 2017
A beautiflly directed movie that doesn't quite reach the heights of magic i was expecting. I thought the robot would have some powers to pull the kid out of the clocktower, and not just be a sappy movie about a mans film legacy. Whatever.
½ January 14, 2017
wonderful visual, but bad acting from the kids, lack of a sense of story telling.
January 7, 2017
It's okay, I guess. The thing I enjoyed most was noticing the number of actors I recognized, which doesn't say a lot for the story's ability to hold your attention. Come to think of it, it almost seemed like the movie was purposely distracting from the story with its visuals, quirks, and digressions, which, I guess, is fair enough because the kids don't have that strong of a presence as the other actors to guide the movie. One forced plot point that aggravated me was the necessity to keep the toy shop owner's background unknown, because it led to unrealistic and forced character moments. Speaking of forced, holy crap did the kid actor's face seem to be struggling to stay in character.
January 6, 2017
This film looks amazing!
December 30, 2016
It's good movie to watch
½ December 25, 2016
Cool story, cool visuals
December 25, 2016
A sweet story, wonderfully acted, and visually impressive. Seems a bit sparse and sketched at times, but the former makes up for the latter, and it's few and far between anyways.
December 24, 2016
What a wonderful, wonderful heartwarming joyous film for people of all ages. If you love movies and movie history this is deeply moving and a "kid's film" that adults will love just as much.