Hugo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hugo Reviews

December 1, 2017
My full opinion: 4/4.
½ November 9, 2017
Hugo is great, is was perfect in every way.
November 8, 2017
Director Martin ?Scorsese transforms Hugo into a magical cinematic experience, while also showing us how movies started in the first place. Hugo is a rare gem that pays homage to the legendary filmmaker, ?Georges Méliès.
November 1, 2017
Absolutely brilliant movie by Scorsese. It is a children's movie for adults. By that I mean that it has the whimsical feel of a children's film with young actors, but its plot has complexity more akin to that of an adults drama. Again, absolutely brilliant film.
October 31, 2017
I don't get it (and my kids didn't either)--I think this is one of those movies the critics fawn over because it deals with movies.
½ October 9, 2017
Not nearly as enchanting as its source material, Hugo is ultimately a rather ordinary children's film that amounts to one of Martin Scorsese's weaker efforts.
½ October 4, 2017
Scorsese's direction helps keep the film moving and fun. All of the cast members give good (but not great) performances. Random history lesson in the middle about war's effect on cinema.
½ September 30, 2017
An amazing adaptation of one of my favorite books. Well done all around.
September 24, 2017
Upon second viewing, I have to drop the rating slightly from 6.9. It's okay - thumbs up - but it's largely a love letter to something I don't care about nearly as much as Scorcese does. Plus there are soime serious problems with motivations and abrupt character transformations. But it has some intriguing bits and it's well made all around. Let's call it 6.3.
September 24, 2017
muito bom, um dos melhores filmes infantis dá última década
September 21, 2017
A great visualization of wonder.
September 17, 2017
Great tribute to film pioneer Georges Melies. Good performances all around from an ensemble cast led by that boy from Ender's Game and that girl from Kick-Ass. Only Sasha Baron (Ali G) Cohen lets the side down with his weak Allo Allo impression.
September 16, 2017
Enchanting and astounding!!!
September 15, 2017
Although flawed by character inconsistencies like how a character would believe what hugo is saying, Hugo delivers a bravura nice looking well prepared blockbuster, the acting is phenomenal and the CGI and the set pieces are efficient, it also delves into the importance and art of film
½ September 3, 2017
Part children's adventure, part adult biography and part cinematic history, this movie set in the 1930s is beautifully innocent and visually sumptuous. Although at times it lacks direction and the purpose wavers, it all comes together in the end in this entertaining drama. I particularly liked the lighting and colouring. AAN GGN 1001
August 23, 2017
Hugo is a film that I greatly appreciate. First off, the visuals are spectacular. The film look and feels very elegant and whimsical. It's definitely a visual treat. The story, while a bit problematic, is well-told, passionate, and magical. I really like Hugo as a character. I enjoy his determination. I also like his relationship with Isabelle and Georges Melies. The reason I appreciate the movie so much is because it's a great dive into the history of cinema and the magic it brings. With that said there are a handful of glaring problems with Hugo. One is Asa Butterfield's performance. It's admittedly kind of weak, which is made worse since he is the main character. I mean, he gets through some scenes okay, but others not so much. Granted, he was a child at the time so I can't be too hard on him. But all of the other like Chloe Moretz, actors did pretty good
½ August 15, 2017
Hugo is probably Scorsese's most overlooked film. In my opinion, this is an absolute joy to watch from start to finish. Whether you are a child or adult, there is definitely something here for you to admire. It's incredibly ambitious and stuffed with sub-plots but the main purpose of the film is to express the adoration of classic cinema by being a partial biopic to Georges Méliès. Also known as the 'Cinemagician', he was a pioneer when it came to the movement of cinema and created many influential pieces such as 1902's famous "Le Voyage Dans La Lune" (which I advise all of you to watch and appreciate). On top of this, you have a boy named Hugo who is really trying to find a purpose. Having lost his father, he lives in a train station and observes the employees and their interactions. Each character is animated and charismatic and mimics the expressiveness of classic cinema. Sure this part of the film is aimed towards the younger audiences, but I personally believe it's a homage to earlier films if you look into it further. Incredible cast, Asa Butterfield has that premature innocence and is able to hold the film together. Ben Kingsley, Sacha Baron Cohen and Helen McCrory are also noteworthy and bring out some superb performances. I adore the mystery that Hugo explores, particularly with an automaton that is left with him...it added a sense of adventure and it had me hooked. Scorsese fantastically directed this and I appreciate him using Méliès' original film reels when showing the footage. The cinematography was stunning, particularly loved the winter tundra aesthetic. The musical score was very...how to put this...frenchy? Or perhaps Parisian? I loved it. One of the best films in 3D by the way, highly recommend you watch it in this format. My only issue with the film is that I wanted some more emotional impact! A few scenes where Butterfield gets emotional but he just doesn't quite reach that height, so close though. All in all, a fantastic film for both families and cinephiles who are interested in classic cinema. It's full of charm!
½ July 23, 2017
7 7 7 7 7 7 6 6 6 6 = 66
½ July 20, 2017
Hugo is so wonderful to watch. It offers so much to audiences: visual spectacle, a gripping adventure story and a heartfelt tribute to movie magic. Hugo is different to other Scorsese films, and it's one of the best embodiments of his cinematic vision and eye for compelling storytelling. The standard of filmmaking in Hugo is just staggering. It's so immersive: the acting, production design and cinematography are sensational. Hugo is a product of Scorsese's own childlike film passion; it has an unwavering, delightfully innocent feeling that few family films have these days. In Hugo, Scorsese meticulously weaves a story of early cinema within the fictional adventure of deep, rich characters we can all root for. Hugo is a Scorsese masterpiece and one of the best family films I have ever seen. Enjoyable, engaging and magical.
½ July 16, 2017
If you have not seen Hugo, then go and watch it, now. Hugo is a film about a orphan boy that winds up clocks in a train station in Paris. It is a beautiful film and is truly a film that did deserve 5 Oscars, to be honest it could even deserve more as it's beauty creates suspense and may make you have tears trickling down your face. This Creation is one of the best Family film you may ever set your eyes on.