Hugo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hugo Reviews

August 23, 2017
Hugo is a film that I greatly appreciate. First off, the visuals are spectacular. The film look and feels very elegant and whimsical. It's definitely a visual treat. The story, while a bit problematic, is well-told, passionate, and magical. I really like Hugo as a character. I enjoy his determination. I also like his relationship with Isabelle and Georges Melies. The reason I appreciate the movie so much is because it's a great dive into the history of cinema and the magic it brings. With that said there are a handful of glaring problems with Hugo. One is Asa Butterfield's performance. It's admittedly kind of weak, which is made worse since he is the main character. I mean, he gets through some scenes okay, but others not so much. Granted, he was a child at the time so I can't be too hard on him. But all of the other like Chloe Moretz, actors did pretty good
½ August 15, 2017
Hugo is probably Scorsese's most overlooked film. In my opinion, this is an absolute joy to watch from start to finish. Whether you are a child or adult, there is definitely something here for you to admire. It's incredibly ambitious and stuffed with sub-plots but the main purpose of the film is to express the adoration of classic cinema by being a partial biopic to Georges Méliès. Also known as the 'Cinemagician', he was a pioneer when it came to the movement of cinema and created many influential pieces such as 1902's famous "Le Voyage Dans La Lune" (which I advise all of you to watch and appreciate). On top of this, you have a boy named Hugo who is really trying to find a purpose. Having lost his father, he lives in a train station and observes the employees and their interactions. Each character is animated and charismatic and mimics the expressiveness of classic cinema. Sure this part of the film is aimed towards the younger audiences, but I personally believe it's a homage to earlier films if you look into it further. Incredible cast, Asa Butterfield has that premature innocence and is able to hold the film together. Ben Kingsley, Sacha Baron Cohen and Helen McCrory are also noteworthy and bring out some superb performances. I adore the mystery that Hugo explores, particularly with an automaton that is left with him...it added a sense of adventure and it had me hooked. Scorsese fantastically directed this and I appreciate him using Méliès' original film reels when showing the footage. The cinematography was stunning, particularly loved the winter tundra aesthetic. The musical score was very...how to put this...frenchy? Or perhaps Parisian? I loved it. One of the best films in 3D by the way, highly recommend you watch it in this format. My only issue with the film is that I wanted some more emotional impact! A few scenes where Butterfield gets emotional but he just doesn't quite reach that height, so close though. All in all, a fantastic film for both families and cinephiles who are interested in classic cinema. It's full of charm!
½ July 23, 2017
7 7 7 7 7 7 6 6 6 6 = 66
½ July 20, 2017
Hugo is so wonderful to watch. It offers so much to audiences: visual spectacle, a gripping adventure story and a heartfelt tribute to movie magic. Hugo is different to other Scorsese films, and it's one of the best embodiments of his cinematic vision and eye for compelling storytelling. The standard of filmmaking in Hugo is just staggering. It's so immersive: the acting, production design and cinematography are sensational. Hugo is a product of Scorsese's own childlike film passion; it has an unwavering, delightfully innocent feeling that few family films have these days. In Hugo, Scorsese meticulously weaves a story of early cinema within the fictional adventure of deep, rich characters we can all root for. Hugo is a Scorsese masterpiece and one of the best family films I have ever seen. Enjoyable, engaging and magical.
½ July 16, 2017
If you have not seen Hugo, then go and watch it, now. Hugo is a film about a orphan boy that winds up clocks in a train station in Paris. It is a beautiful film and is truly a film that did deserve 5 Oscars, to be honest it could even deserve more as it's beauty creates suspense and may make you have tears trickling down your face. This Creation is one of the best Family film you may ever set your eyes on.
June 29, 2017
Bonne chanson de fin :)
June 25, 2017
Loved the originality of this film. Great soundtrack, great colors. A little confusing--at times it leaves a cliffhanger it doesn't explain until the end, which can be distracting from the rest of the movie. A little bit of hilarious editing, but mainly pretty well done.
½ June 23, 2017
Just finished this movie for the first time and I am angry at myself for waiting so long to see this film. Hugo is a film made for movie lovers like me. When people talk about magic in film this is what they mean. This film is pure movie magic. You get great performances from Asa Butterfield, Chloe Grace Moretz and Sacha Baron Cohen but the stand out performance is Ben Kingsley. But don't let that fool you because the true star of this film is Martin Scorsese with his directing. You can tell Scorsese is a film lover and it comes off the screen so beautifully. Everything about this movie is great from the directing, acting, cinematography, and the score. This is film making at it's best. The only reason I didn't give it the 5/5 is because it is a little slow but don't let that stop you from seeing this unbelievable movie!
April 16, 2017
Hugo is plenty of fun for all ages with its gorgeous visuals, great cast, and a story filled with childlike wonder.
March 19, 2017
Marvelous! My kind of movie. Why have I not watched this sooner?
February 17, 2017
I love this tiny scale fantasy that mixed with a big size of fictionalization actual history.
February 13, 2017
Hugo is an incredibly artistic, original and deep children's and family film. Unique from many other family films of this era, Hugo also offers authentic details of the life of Georges Méliès.
February 12, 2017
Hugo is very nice to look at and it's full of quirky characters. It does a good job attempting to show appreciation for cinema but its disjointed story doesn't help.
February 11, 2017
Incredible movie with subtle meanings packed throughout.
Spot on writing, acting, designing, direction.
It's an awesome piece of awesome awesomeness.
January 26, 2017
I love everything about this movie. A beautiful love letter to the History of Cinema.
½ January 23, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Una película tan sobre-valorada que tuvo que recurrir a la nostalgia para recoger buenas críticas - y unas cuantas nominaciones al Óscar - , aunque aún así sigue siendo un film esencial para los fanáticos del cine.
January 17, 2017
Great film! Really enjoyed this, as will you.
½ January 14, 2017
A beautiflly directed movie that doesn't quite reach the heights of magic i was expecting. I thought the robot would have some powers to pull the kid out of the clocktower, and not just be a sappy movie about a mans film legacy. Whatever.
½ January 14, 2017
wonderful visual, but bad acting from the kids, lack of a sense of story telling.
January 7, 2017
It's okay, I guess. The thing I enjoyed most was noticing the number of actors I recognized, which doesn't say a lot for the story's ability to hold your attention. Come to think of it, it almost seemed like the movie was purposely distracting from the story with its visuals, quirks, and digressions, which, I guess, is fair enough because the kids don't have that strong of a presence as the other actors to guide the movie. One forced plot point that aggravated me was the necessity to keep the toy shop owner's background unknown, because it led to unrealistic and forced character moments. Speaking of forced, holy crap did the kid actor's face seem to be struggling to stay in character.