Hustlers Reviews

• 1d ago

A very provocative movie. J Lo at 50 years old looks siper hot and she had all the righht moves. Although her performance did not warrant a award nomination I don't know what she was thinking suggesting it did.

• 2d ago

The best part of Hustlers is it being based on a true story. Other than that, The movie struggles to grab your attention and seems very flat the whole movie.

• 2d ago

JLo looks fantastic and does a good job in this role. Overall this seems like pretty "meh" movie to me, maybe it was just too hyped up. I didn't hate it. Certainly didn't love it.

• 2d ago

I was excited to finally this movie. Sad that it was hot garbage. Poorly scripted, poorly acted sophomoric "eat the rich" revenge fantasy. It's like Occupy Wall Street and Showgirls adopted a pet rock. Also, it moved really slow, and I was legitimately bored.

Es divertida y algo emotiva , me encanto

Es divertida y algo emotiva , me encanto

• 3d ago

A gripping crime drama and an entertaining dark comedy. Lorene Scafaria's crime drama Hustlers (2019) is a highly entertaining depiction of when a group of strippers decided to drug and rob rich Wall Street guys of all their funds. If that does not sound like the type of good time you'd like to see, then Hustlers is not for you. However, I found Hustlers refreshing and far superior to what I feared it might be. Hustlers plays itself fairly straightforward as a crime drama akin to Goodfellas or American Animals, wherein the criminals are eager to cash and thrills only to fall to legal consequences due to their own folly. I genuinely enjoyed Hustlers! On the other hand, Hustlers has a hilarious script from Lorene Scafaria that keeps contemporary comedy constantly on screen. The dramatic weight of the central story shows that Scafaria can handle controversial subject matter with a mature perspective and a fresh female lens. While not exactly empowering, Scafaria is fair to these ladies and all their misdeeds. I don't really feel bad for the men that get robbed as they are all horrible sexist sleazes and spousal cheaters, but I do feel for the last guy that gets them caught. Furthermore, Hustlers does a commendable job of demonstrating how these women got into the stripping business, why they were so desperate for money, how they started a criminal organization, and why they were in the wrong for doing so. So, any criticism that says Hustlers is promoting the lifestyle did not actually watch Hustlers. Lorene Scafaria needs to keep writing scripts as she has skillful structure and interesting reflective style. Lorene Scafaria's direction is the biggest surprise of Hustlers for me. She directs this feature with a modern flashy style. Hustlers feels like hanging out with friends instead of a dour crime drama, you just have a good time with Hustlers. I adore Scafaria's soundtrack choices with throwback tracks like Fiona Apple's "Criminal" to modern classics like Lorde's "Royals"! Scafaria focuses in on the causes of criminal lifestyles instead of the consequences extensively. Scafaria shoots strippers pole dancing with the same reverence and glee as someone baring their soul in an earnest conversation. I admire Scafaria's gutsy direction and creative personality. I hope Lorene Scafaria directs more pictures. Kayla Emter's cutting edge editing swiftly sends you from year to year. Her style is sleek and polished with clever cuts from criminal revelry to the harsh reality of the girls' situations. She makes Hustlers' 107 minutes flash by like a fun night out. Todd Banhazl's cinematography is very pretty and really captures the moody vibe with neon lights and striking images. Everything in Hustlers looks great from Mitchell Travers, Anna Tringali, and My Ossianson's costumes to the ladies themselves. I like all of Margot Boccia, Roxanne Rizzo, Scott Barnes, and Christy Falco's make-up and hairstyles as Hustlers has so much variety to the style. Jane Musky, Kevin Rupnik, Kim Karon, and James Dardenne's production design makes you feel like you are witnessing real strip clubs in all their glowing seedy atmosphere. Constance Wu is spectacular and versatile in Hustlers. She carries the entire film with a commanding lead actress performance to set her apart. Her authentic tears and fears cascade over you like a distressing waterfall of understanding. She's really quite moving as this sympathetic stripper named Destiny. I found her very charming and often funny as well in Hustlers. She brings a warmth and sincerity to the role as she weaves in and out of personalities depending on who her character is addressing with effortless ease. Wu taps into her sex appeal for sultry dancing and alluring flirtations, while instantly transferring into unnerved paranoia or desperate despair. Constance Wu runs the gambit of emotions in Hustlers for a phenomenal starring role. I hope Constance Wu gets more dramatic roles in the future as Hustlers proves that she can do more than romance comedies with this serious dramatic crime role. I must mention Jennifer Lopez who has been getting all the buzz for Hustlers. She is hypnotic as the enigmatic Ramona, who takes in Wu's new stripper Destiny and coaches her how to rip men off at her leisure. Hustlers is certainly Lopez' best role since Selena. I'd say Hustlers marks her return to real dramatic roles. She funny and sexy, while killing it as a near sociopathic thief. She shows no sign of remorse and Lopez manages to convince you of Ramona's glee in robbing these rich men of their ill gotten funds. Lopez is captivating in every scene she's in, but I personally prefer Constance Wu in Hustlers. Lopez is in a lot of Hustlers, but Wu is in every scene mesmerizing you. I appreciate Scafaria casting Julia Stiles as the journalist interviewing Wu throughout the film. She's a wonderful foil for Wu's brash crime story and challenges her story's conflicting statements. Stiles is really convincing as a woman who is giving these strippers a chance to tell their story without judgement. Lili Reinhart gets a fantastic role as a sympathetic stripper kicked out of her home, who hilariously cannot stop vomiting. She's excellent here only outshined because of Wu and Lopez' magnetic performances. Keke Palmer is super funny, meanwhile Cardi B and Lizzo just get neat cameos more than central roles. Frank Whaley has an apt cameo wherein he convincingly plays a sleazy CEO. G-Eazy's cameo is alright. Usher's cameo is funny and surprising. In all, Hustlers is a blast with dreamy direction and wonderful acting.

• 3d ago

A good story, but maybe not up to the hype...

A good story, but maybe not up to the hype...

• 4d ago

Jennifer Lopez has a strong presence. It was worth it just to see her acting .. she has improved a lot since Gigli. No Oscar nomination, but she has a commanding presence on screen. Well done.

• 5d ago

A massive disappointment. Despite the raves about J-Lo's performance, I thought most of her lines were delivered like someone who had just walked out of a community college acting class 10 minutes beforehand. For reference, see the scene between her and Constance Wu outside the police station. Serpico-imitating over-acting to the hilt.

• 6d ago

Fun and exciting. This movie is what Showgirls is trying to achieve. It has comedy, thrill, and drama. It's a real experience!