I Am Divine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Am Divine Reviews

December 18, 2015
I had not seen Divine outside of Hairspray but this documentary was a good introduction to a true original Harris Milstead had an entire career on the edges of what was acceptable in that time period and did so with such a wonderful embracing of life. A memorable story.
½ December 2, 2015
An efficient and enjoyable documentary about the life and career of John Waters' muse of filth, even though it feels excessively reverential and is also a bit too conventional in structure - which seems pretty ironic, considering the subject in question.
April 11, 2015
Interesting documentary, just not as probing as I would've preferred. The film is extremely biased in its approach to Divine's life, trying its hardest to ignore the fact that Divine wasn't everyone's cup of tea. The late drag queen was an extremely intriguing figure of cinema however, so the documentary holds your attention nonetheless, but if you're looking for a more raw account of the star then you need not apply.
March 8, 2015
Great documentary on Divine who was one of the weirdest but greatest actors in John Waters films and who also inspired people to go for it, regardless of what's "normal." If you like John Waters films, check this out.
February 3, 2015
The perfect documentary/biopic. I love John Waters' films and his personality as well as his partnership with Divine, an actor and an icon in the LGBT community.
February 2, 2015
Excellent doccie. Netflix, you have redeemed yourself :)
January 28, 2015
A touching look at Divine's career. Must-watch for Waters fans.
½ January 26, 2015
Great documentary about a fascinating figure. I didn't truly know who Divine was until I watched it!
½ January 15, 2015
Awesome, strange, wild a wonderful celebration of the different!
January 6, 2015
I Am Divine is a terrific documentary about the life, work, and death of Divine, a male crossdressing homosexual who got into the movie business via John Waters, but also became an underground hit with the Hollywood scene, and later, a recording artist; while also paving the way for further acceptance of crossdressers and gay men within the industry. This documentary is quite informative, touching, and genuinely entertaining, talking to as many parties as possible, including John Waters himself. It's also a documentary that makes you want to seek out the work that's being discussed; in this case, making you want to revisit Pink Flamingos and Female Trouble. Great in all respects, this is a great look into the life of a man who became larger than life, both physically and in persona.
December 16, 2014
Harris Glenn Milstead no es conocido por nadie. Divine, en cambio, es una leyenda. El documental de Jeffrey Schwarz recupera la historia de quien fuera la drag queen más influyente y rupturista de los 80's. Su infancia, su descubrimiento sexual, su carrera y sus miedos, todo, con una mirada muy objetiva que rompe con todas las caricaturas del travestismo. Por momento saca risas descontroladas, y luego es capaz de emocionarte profundamente. Muy recomendable.
December 4, 2014
I love documentaries about subcultures, especially ones I don't know almost anything about. I Am Divine does this in such an interesting way, by taking us through the world of John Waters through the life of Divine. This is a character documentary all about the complex personality that is Harris Glenn Milstead, or Divine. It's pretty outrageous at times, but always compassionate. It seems to be a very affectionate documentary told by people who really cared about the subject.
½ October 16, 2014
"Nobody can say they are Divine, that's what he had and will always have." Pretty Trash(y).
October 15, 2014
Sometimes dreams can come true.
September 23, 2014
A sympathetic biography of Harris Glenn Milstead, aka Divine. This documentary humanizes Divine and puts her after midnight cult heroine status into perspective. A bullied Baltimore child in the 1960's ( with all its sex, drugs and Rock 'n Roll ) she bonded with John Waters and a group of young avant garde rebels. Through sheer force of will, brashness and talent, she made herself the worldwide phenomenon known as Divine.
½ September 21, 2014
Not very imaginative, but fun biopic.
September 6, 2014
A good look at why Glen Milstead aka Divine was so mesmerizing.
August 31, 2014
Interesting documentary of the drag actor divine, star of John waters movies and the sub culture, his talent and life. Well made and watchable.
August 25, 2014
A fantastic documentary based on the life of Harris Glenn Milstead (who was known to the world as Divine)! Very informative on both his public and private life!
August 19, 2014
Does what a good documentary should, showing all sides, talking to people about the good and bad and summing up nicely in the end. Worth a watch