I Am Legend - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Am Legend Reviews

½ September 6, 2016
Great Will Smith performance, but a standard B movie besides that
September 5, 2016
I love this move is real as it get
½ August 20, 2016
I Am Legend follows the last man on Earth as he struggles to survive while fending off the infected survivors of a devastating vampiric plague. A brilliant scientist who raced to discover a cure for the man-made virus as humanity came crumbling down all around him, Robert Neville (Will Smith) was inexplicably immune to the highly contagious superbug. Now the entire population of New York City -- and perhaps the world -- has been transformed into carnivorous bloodsuckers that fear the light and live solely to spread their contagion to any remaining living creature that crosses their path. It's been three years since civilization came to an end, and the loneliness has taken a devastating toll on Neville. By day he scours the city for food and supplies while sending out desperate radio messages in hopes that someone might respond, and by night he attempts to find a way to reverse the effects of the virus by experimenting with his own blood. But time is running out for Neville as the legions of infected watch his every move from the safety of the shadows, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. They, too, long to learn the secret that lurks in Neville's blood, though they will have to take caution while attempting to procure it because Neville will sooner die attempting to slay every last one of them than willingly giving up a single drop.
August 15, 2016
It lived up to the hype. Will Smith did a great job. Very intense at times. Very cool story. I didn't like the ending as much. I will see it again when it comes out on video.
½ August 12, 2016
While it diverts from its source material heavily, I Am Legend is a solidly crafted film with a powerhouse performance by Will Smith to carry the lapses in the plot.
½ August 8, 2016
wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be. Great cast, good plot and storyline.
½ August 7, 2016
"I Am Legend" struggles with CGI due to the fact that its monsters have creepy and incomplete skin textures, but it is better noted that Will Smith's performance is mesmerizing by portraying a character with firm emotion and depth.
August 4, 2016
Although the actors deliver an emotionally-charged and believable performance, it's a fairly shallow pandemic movie, without anything to really hold it up, and a dreadful let-down of an ending.
August 3, 2016
I am Legend is a really good movie it differs from the novel which is one of my favorite books of all time, the book in my humble opinion is way better the book just has a lot more in it. I'd prefer they stay true to the novel but they change the vampires to zombies along with other things. But the movie is very entertaining nonetheless.
½ July 29, 2016
Smith gives a convincing turn as the solitary hero--it is something of a throwback to western themes, but within a modern wasteland. His canine companion Sam is an effecting support, and the scenes with the two of them are indelible; the pair are the best thing about this one, and remind one of Tom Hanks and Wilson in Cast Away; but of course Sam is living and breathing, and her interactions with Smith reveal the grace of perseverance and loyalty, and fighting for something beyond oneself, especially when the odds are daunting. In some ways the inhuman lead shows us the best of humanity.
½ July 28, 2016
The last half hour is a bit weak... but believe me I understand how hard it is to wrap up a story (since I'm an aspiring filmmaker)
I am Legend is a perfect example the its not about the story, its about the execution.
And this film is very well executed! There are some scenes that I am sure I wont forget and Will Smith's performance is excellent.
The atmosphere and unbearable tension is worth praising and I'm glad I finally saw it.
½ July 28, 2016
Not nearly as good as the book and ending was kind of terrible
July 27, 2016
****
Will Smith stars in this excellent Sci-Fi drama. All you need to know is that the movie proves that Francis Lawrence was having a bad day when he made Constantine.
July 25, 2016
Not upto the standards of the book. (or even radio drama on BBC), great special effects and acting, but the whole usual Hollywood ending of world being saved etc is getting to be a bit boring. 55% from me!! ( just for special effects...??)
½ July 21, 2016
whyd they kill the dog :(
July 15, 2016
not bad. watched it on the plane just yesterday. the ending kind of saved the movie. some plot holes here and there.
July 9, 2016
Will Smith is good in this. I like Will Smith, though. The relationship he has with his dog is special. (and I'm not a pet kind of guy) It was interesting, and entertaining.
July 3, 2016
Thanks to a lack of characters we have to care about, I Am Legend brings in one of Will Smith's best performances as well as a solid emotional heft to overcome it's mediocre special effects.

B+
July 1, 2016
Will Smith acting by himself is not really a good movie. The overall story is good but seeing Smith all by himself was pretty bad.
June 29, 2016
Great awesome intense scary heart breaking movie Starring Will Smith. Will Smith in this movie is amazing, I never knew he could be this could at a serious role, I thought he was only good at comedic movies. In this movie Smith proves that he is one of the best actors out their in Hollywood. You get to know the characters really well in this movie except the last two characters we see, a little boy and an adult woman but the Movie focuses on Will Smith's character surviving in the apocalypse with his dog and feeling sad about whatever happened to his family. Awesome special effects of how the animators showed the humans that had the virus. I bet everybody in the audience watching this movie was sad when the dog died because that's the only living loving person that Will Smiths character had, Sam the dog is one of the most helpful smart but not smart enough to stay out of the sewers cause she could have gotten the virus from the mutant dogs with the virus and Will Smith's reaction to everything was amazing. I wish this movie was longer but I enjoyed the movie either way.