I Am Legend - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Am Legend Reviews

February 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 27, 2017
Everybody loves Will Smith, well, I don't.
½ January 6, 2017
I Am Legend is a really solid from beginning to end. Will Smith gives a really good performance and I like how part of the story is told through flashbacks/memories he has. The "creatures" look creepy and in a hyper human state that, I think, works. The movie also has some tense moments and some parts where you really connect with Will Smith's character. The film's ending is appropriate but I would have liked it to be a little bit longer (maybe show how the cure took effect on some of the entities).
This is one of those movies that is hard for me to rate. If you haven't seen this film, you should definitely check it out. I would rate it 3.5/5 OR 7/10. It's one of those that I may rate 8/10 though...perhaps, only time will tell.
½ January 3, 2017
I am Legend's production design is truly mesmerizing and its story is nail-biting suspense with serious dramatic reflection, but it's greatness is blunted by the shoddy CGI and generic action sequences near the end.
½ December 20, 2016
Could have been something more...
½ December 16, 2016
This movie is a good sci fi thriller that works primarily because of Will Smith's performance. I feel like this type of world has existed in movies and TV before but his charamatic and emphatetic performance is what sets this movie apart. I think it's a consistently tense movie with a lot of smart elements. I enjoy watching it and think it is enjoyable overall. I do feel the first hour of the movie is dragged out a bit but the finale is quite exciting. It's a movie that probably could've been more complex but is still a good watch if you are a fan of this genre or Will Smith.
December 5, 2016
Amazing..... this movie has me really thinking. It is a great story. Even the "slow" parts are always moving it makes you wonder how will the world end. Then communication in this movie is amazing. The dog did a great job. Will Smith is one of my favorite for this exact reason. He played his role great! I would love to see a sequel. Did they reverse it? Did they start to rebuild. Was there issues during the rebuild. This is the kind of movie I love. One that leaves questions but not something that needed to be addressed. Great movie. Needs another. Maybe will smiths son star!
½ November 20, 2016
Nov 2016 - warning, dog dies...
½ November 12, 2016
It's such a shame the VFX were so bad. This is a well acted, produced and paced movie. Just, those effects. Damn.
November 5, 2016
"My name is Robert Neville. I am a survivor living in New York City. I am broadcasting on all AM frequencies. I will be at the South Street Seaport everyday at mid-day, when the sun is highest in the sky. If you are out there... if anyone is out there... I can provide food, I can provide shelter, I can provide security. If there's anybody out there... anybody... please. You are not alone."

2007 film adaptation of Richard Matheson's apocalyptic 1954 novel of the same name (now past it set-in date on 2012), which takes some major liberties with the plot of that novel.

Here, Robert Neville's (Will Smith) whole background is changed, as are the reasoning vampires of the book (who evolve their own society) into more-or-less mindless genetic mutations (when did playing with Mother Nature ever turn out well?) who also can't go out in the sun. And don't even mention the final act, which bears next-to-no resemblance at all ...

All in all, held together by some impressive acting by Will Smith who is largely on his own for most of the film, but largely forgettable.
½ October 25, 2016
I think I saw this movie about 9 years too late.
October 19, 2016
2016 will smith disagress for i am legend 2.
October 10, 2016
Typical zombie movie. Well done but typical.

Three years after a cure for cancer is released, the world is left devastated and filled with cannibalistic zombies who only come out at night.

Movie is comprised of daily activities and flashbacks. Mostly uneventful till right at the end.
½ October 8, 2016
Will Smith stars as Robert Neville in I Am Legend. In 2009 there is an alleged cure for cancer by Dr. Alice Krippin (Emma Thompson). Three years later this is clearly false, as humanity has been eradicated from existence. In its place are zombie like creatures known as Dark Seekers that cannot survive in sunlight. Mankind's' only hope appears to be with Neville who traverses New York City, which is ground zero, where the virus set off. He goes around looking for food with his dog Sam, and together they hunt, and set traps for the dark seekers as they hope to find a cure for the virus.

Neville does not know why he is a survivor, but uses his blood and other methods to try and treat the disease that led most of humanity to become dark seekers. Unlike many other films, his goal is to cure the disease, and not simply eradicate and kill them. As he travels New York City, the bond between him and his dog instantly become one of the films strongest assets. The bond between them is unquestionable, and it is clear that they both will do anything to survive with each other. Neville constantly broadcasts a radio message hoping to attract any other survivors as well. I Am Legend features thrilling sequences as he at times finds himself in dark areas, or moments when the sun is setting which makes him most vulnerable to the dark seekers.

The film does show sequences in the past, demonstrating that Neville did once have a family. These sequences do not provide much value to the film as pictures alone would have been suffice. The biggest issue I had with I am Legend was the appearance of the dark seekers. They did not look bad, but they certainly looked computer generated. Had they been actors with excellent makeup, the death of them would have been all the more intriguing to the story, and it certainly would have made Neville desire to find the cure all the more effective. Despite a few flaws, I am Legend is a welcome addition to the zombie apocalyptic genre of films.

-10.08.2016
½ October 4, 2016
Forgot how good this movie is.
½ September 6, 2016
Great Will Smith performance, but a standard B movie besides that
September 5, 2016
I love this move is real as it get
½ August 20, 2016
I Am Legend follows the last man on Earth as he struggles to survive while fending off the infected survivors of a devastating vampiric plague. A brilliant scientist who raced to discover a cure for the man-made virus as humanity came crumbling down all around him, Robert Neville (Will Smith) was inexplicably immune to the highly contagious superbug. Now the entire population of New York City -- and perhaps the world -- has been transformed into carnivorous bloodsuckers that fear the light and live solely to spread their contagion to any remaining living creature that crosses their path. It's been three years since civilization came to an end, and the loneliness has taken a devastating toll on Neville. By day he scours the city for food and supplies while sending out desperate radio messages in hopes that someone might respond, and by night he attempts to find a way to reverse the effects of the virus by experimenting with his own blood. But time is running out for Neville as the legions of infected watch his every move from the safety of the shadows, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. They, too, long to learn the secret that lurks in Neville's blood, though they will have to take caution while attempting to procure it because Neville will sooner die attempting to slay every last one of them than willingly giving up a single drop.
August 15, 2016
It lived up to the hype. Will Smith did a great job. Very intense at times. Very cool story. I didn't like the ending as much. I will see it again when it comes out on video.
½ August 12, 2016
While it diverts from its source material heavily, I Am Legend is a solidly crafted film with a powerhouse performance by Will Smith to carry the lapses in the plot.