Identity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Identity Reviews

October 18, 2016
It's fine. Workable twists and a satisfactory ending. Don't know why it divides people. Maybe it's an IQ test.
½ October 6, 2016
A limousine driver, and his passenger, a washed up actress. A police officer, and his prison transport. A prostitute. A pair of newlyweds. A family of three: father, mother, and son. These ten strangers seem to have nothing in common, but it's James Mongold's Identity that brings them together at a desolate Nevada motel, caught in a seemingly infinite downpour. It's a twisting and turning "whodunnit" mystery, with a lot of elements clearly derived from or inspired by Agatha Christie. As tensions rise and the number of strangers begins to dwindle through mysterious circumstances, Mangold amps up the atmosphere: the motel has a spooky, dreamlike quality to it, with its dimly lit rooms and halls and worn out walls, almost reminiscent of the ever famous Bates Motel. The story itself is kind of dreamlike, to mostly good results. Every death is creative and feels new in context of the story, and allows for each character to slowly descend into lunacy and provide some solid performances, namely from John Cusack, Ray Liotta, and Amanda Peet. It all culminates in a twist that, while rather original, lacks the element of surprise and subtlety thanks to a disappointing lead-up around the midpoint of the movie. The ending itself, referring to the very final scene, is absolutely ridiculous, but by that point, you're either on board with the rules of this story or you aren't: thankfully, Mangold crafts enough tension for it to likely be the former.
September 30, 2016
Some complains that the twist is easy to get before its reveal. That is not the point. You could argue that anyone who pays close attention the first 5 minutes will get the twist before he gets to 20. The thrill is in the proceeding, knowing whats unfolding in front of you for what it is. and the DID thing is no secret; they talk about it right in your face, so congrats you got it, you were supposed to. Above from that, its dark and heavy like a mental storm, moldy and rainy like when everything collapse. because thats exactly whats happening. Although the ending leaves open the possibility that is also self -reconstructing, and that the whole cycle just keeps playing in a loop.
½ September 21, 2016
An original concept, though I about stopped watching just before the plot twist. However after the film concluded I was satisfied. Worth a watch.
September 16, 2016
Ótimo filme. Surpreendente mesmo. Não esperava nada e acabei achando nota dez. Pra ver, no mínimo, duas vezes
August 26, 2016
It was one of the smartest movies I've ever seen! The whole story makes sense at the end of the movie, and it's brilliant & awesome. Also all of the actors were so good!
½ July 31, 2016
Identity s'avère un suspense très efficace qui nous surprendra, notamment la fin qui demeure imprévisible.
July 28, 2016
If you like the usual suspects you may find pleasure in this. I hated both of them because of the unreliable narrative but at least here you don't need multiple viewings to realize that you have been lied to.
July 20, 2016
In più o meno un ora e mezza il film riesce a costruire una trama intrigante piena di colpi di scena e ricca di personaggi interessanti. Nonostante questo, presenta molti problemi che vanno dal filo logico della trama fino ad un finale un po' troppo forzato. Resta comunque un thriller discreto che merita sicuramente di essere visto almeno una volta.
½ July 2, 2016
Someone told me this movie was bad a long time ago, and explained everything that happened in it to me, and it sounded horrible. Turns out it's really good. I can understand why people might say it's bad, because it requires knowledge of certain pre-existing media to really fully appreciate, in particular And Then There Were None. It doesn't hold a candle to Christie, but it's a clever variant and definitely worth seeing. I was really into it the entire time, and it has a great sense of humor, never takes itself too seriously.
½ June 23, 2016
Watch this at night, in a completely dark house, for maximum viewing pleasure! Fantastic performances across the board, writing that has a great story but also great dialogue, and directing that is very excellent in many ways, but succeeds in making the movie feel like it's in it's own world. This is my fourth favorite movie of all time. The extended edition isn't bad, but I wouldn't recommend watching it.
½ May 11, 2016
Enjoyable in its deliberately pulp-meets-Hitchcock vibe.
½ April 19, 2016
It is good catches you, the ending is confusing but good. almost perfect.
April 3, 2016
What a breathtaking MASTERPIECE !
March 29, 2016
I think Hitchcock would've loved this.
March 2, 2016
This is not a bad Psychological thriller or bad Mystery thriller but the director did a good job on casting both John Cusack and Ray Liotta as the two leads. The story also takes you on a different journey when it revealed that Edward Dakota is to be revealed as one of Vincent "Malcom" Richards personalities and the events that happened in the Motel were created in Malcom's head from when he was a child. Great story and a great cast.
½ December 19, 2015
hi, i have DID. i just wanna say that this entire movie is bullshit and that's not how integration works at all. also stop typing us as being serial killers, thanks.
½ November 29, 2015
Nightmarish dumb killingspree, without any Logic. Set in a twisted multiple schizofrenic mind. Probably a good idea in the book, though not on film.
November 27, 2015
Great movie, with a nice different cast and great concept and ending!!!
½ November 23, 2015
It's a loose adaptation of Agatha Christie "and then they were none". Still it's interesting