Identity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Identity Reviews

August 14, 2017
Great movie keeps you guessing till the end. One of the best psychological thrillers I have ever seen!
August 11, 2017
Talking about Identity without giving spoilers is like trying to walk safely through a minefield, but I'll do my best. There are boatloads of twists and turns in the plot. Many of them I guessed before they were revealed, but I was never sure until they gave it away. It's a well-constructed narrative that puzzles you and yet makes some sense when you know everything. There are parts that aren't even told in a linear fashion which adds to the intrigue. It's definitely the kind of thriller that I enjoy a lot.

John Cusack is always one of my favorite actors as the every-man and audience surrogate. I loved what he did in Identity. Ray Liotta brings his perfect brand of tough guy attitude and that adds a lot to the film as well. The other standout for me was John Hawkes whose face I recognize but I don't know if I've ever seen him do this much to develop a role. Amanda Peet has never been one of my favorite actresses. I simply don't buy her in the role and she needed to be a stronger presence in the film.

I think there is some stretching of reality for this film. I mean there was simply an element that won't hold up if you put too much thought into it. I went with it all, and just accepted it as movie logic. Also of note in Identity is the score. I'm not typically someone who notices the score all that much, but for some reason Alan Silvestri's work made an impression here. It did a great job of setting tone. This is an excellent mystery thriller with a well-crafted script and a solid cast, so I'd definitely recommend it to others.
½ May 18, 2017
It was really mysterious from the beginning but after the plot twist, find that it was no longer interesting unfortunately.
May 7, 2017
Dallas and Jay said so.
½ April 25, 2017
Identity is such a rarity film that will divide audiences regarding of its plot twists. Some might be impressed and others might be confused and irritated. However, John Cusack gives a very good and convincing performance and being the protagonist of the many identities that coexist in a person's body. It is refreshing in a way that it tells a short tale in thriller form of a rare psychological disease, Dissociative Identity Disorder. The film is a constant exemplary thriller that keeps tension in an isolated environment. But, as the last final act kicks in, it changes revealing the twists to what a psychological thriller might be a correct term to use. Regardless of these plot twists, it does make some aspects of the film, or the events happened previously uneven or questionable as some parts do not make sense. It does have some lack of acting except for the main character. As an R-rated horror/thriller film, the props and visuals are what expected, some violent imagery. Aside from the major problems, it is a very well done thriller
April 23, 2017
loved it. can't believe i haven't seen it before now.
½ April 15, 2017
Review (1~5)

#Content: Script 4 | Acting 4 | Cinematography 4 | Film Editing 4

#Visual: Costume Design 3 | Makeup & Hairstyling 3 | Scenic Design 3 | Lighting 3 | Visual Effects 3

#Sound: Score & Soundtracks 3 | Sound Editing & Mixing 3

#Overall (1~10): 7
March 20, 2017
Decent enough mystery film, but becomes all too predictable, & doesn't seem to know what to do with itself.
March 5, 2017
Great movie, kinda intense... cast is great...premise is original.... alfred hitchcock type story...with a hint of the twighlight zone thrown in for good measure
February 8, 2017
Love the idea of the film. Not really horror just Mor mystery. Though flawed very interesting take on multiple personality disorder. Ending was great, over all cool conceptually like psycho meets Halloween.
January 28, 2017
Classic Thriller!!! Had me Hook for the Whole ride.
January 27, 2017
Mind fuck of a movie
December 11, 2016
Based on the Agatha Christie novel "And Then There Were Now", Identity is a solid, well acted, well developed and especially disturbing movie, with a big twist near the end that I really wasn't expecting. It's a suspenseful, very atmospheric and mysterious movie, you may predict some of the stuff or not, but still, in general, it's a good psychological thriller. Recommended !!
December 9, 2016
I love how the movie by its own accord understands where it stands and realises that the story was serves to us before. It was a very promising story with a very promising plot,but the twist was not a very satisfactory one and it ruined most of the movie's atmosphere for me. It was fun to watch but nothing more.
November 21, 2016
An interesting, solid mystery with great performances. It felt too much like an Agatha Christie novel: intriguing and suspenseful until the end.
November 1, 2016
GREAT MOVIE TO WATCH ON HALLOWEEN NITE
October 18, 2016
It's fine. Workable twists and a satisfactory ending. Don't know why it divides people. Maybe it's an IQ test.
½ October 6, 2016
A limousine driver, and his passenger, a washed up actress. A police officer, and his prison transport. A prostitute. A pair of newlyweds. A family of three: father, mother, and son. These ten strangers seem to have nothing in common, but it's James Mongold's Identity that brings them together at a desolate Nevada motel, caught in a seemingly infinite downpour. It's a twisting and turning "whodunnit" mystery, with a lot of elements clearly derived from or inspired by Agatha Christie. As tensions rise and the number of strangers begins to dwindle through mysterious circumstances, Mangold amps up the atmosphere: the motel has a spooky, dreamlike quality to it, with its dimly lit rooms and halls and worn out walls, almost reminiscent of the ever famous Bates Motel. The story itself is kind of dreamlike, to mostly good results. Every death is creative and feels new in context of the story, and allows for each character to slowly descend into lunacy and provide some solid performances, namely from John Cusack, Ray Liotta, and Amanda Peet. It all culminates in a twist that, while rather original, lacks the element of surprise and subtlety thanks to a disappointing lead-up around the midpoint of the movie. The ending itself, referring to the very final scene, is absolutely ridiculous, but by that point, you're either on board with the rules of this story or you aren't: thankfully, Mangold crafts enough tension for it to likely be the former.
September 30, 2016
Some complains that the twist is easy to get before its reveal. That is not the point. You could argue that anyone who pays close attention the first 5 minutes will get the twist before he gets to 20. The thrill is in the proceeding, knowing whats unfolding in front of you for what it is. and the DID thing is no secret; they talk about it right in your face, so congrats you got it, you were supposed to. Above from that, its dark and heavy like a mental storm, moldy and rainy like when everything collapse. because thats exactly whats happening. Although the ending leaves open the possibility that is also self -reconstructing, and that the whole cycle just keeps playing in a loop.
½ September 21, 2016
An original concept, though I about stopped watching just before the plot twist. However after the film concluded I was satisfied. Worth a watch.