The Illusionist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Illusionist Reviews

February 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ November 17, 2016
The warmth of this film is apparent not only the sepia toned imagery but also the nature of the themes relating to admiration and romance in light of suspense. The rich plot overall presents itself as a magic trick would that leaves the expectant audience in awe at the final revelation.
½ October 30, 2016
The story is pretty standard, but overall "The Illusionist" is entertaining, vividly crafted and bolstered by fine performances.
½ October 7, 2016
It is not as morbid and as far-fetched as The Prestige but the "realism" of it all is more believable which makes The Illusionist equally impressive.
½ September 25, 2016
Also released around the same time as The Prestige (2006), another movie about magic and illusions, let's just say The Prestige was better. This one had a talented cast but the storyline wasn't too amazing and the romance was cloying.
½ September 25, 2016
Despite it's exaggerated depictions of what magicians can actually achieve and a slightly forced plot, the end result is a fun fictional period piece with good characters and a cool twist ending.
August 21, 2016
Quite Good. That's a original, and intelligent romantic/fantasist movie. A little bit like The Prestige, but also a bit less Good. The Beginning story (Eisenheim and Sophia's childhood) looks like a nasty fary Tale. The only problem is that All the movie is a little like that.
August 20, 2016
Edward Norton is a great actor. He brought a great bizarre style of the human psyche in Fight Club, all the way to making me laugh, seeing him as a bagel in Sausage Party!
However, looking back on this film, he was a snooze fest! Even the rest of the actors looked like they were mailing in their performances, and after a while, I was getting impatient, wondering when this film will end! Some of the effects were interesting, but not enough to hold this feature up on its feet. If you want a way more fascinating movie in this area, then I strongly suggest you watch Christopher Nolan's The Prestige! This? Well, if you're a major Ed Norton fan, then maybe it's worth a look. If not, than choose the latter.
August 17, 2016
i will take this movie over The Prestige everyday!
August 8, 2016
Great acting and a very smart script!
July 17, 2016
The story is simple and surprising along with memorable cinematography.
July 2, 2016
What (director Neil) Burger and his colleagues have done is to entrance us with a richly acted, beautifully produced story.
May 29, 2016
The Illusionist lacks the proper characterisation and ability to enthral the audience that other like-minded films (such as The Prestige) have. The final twist is a welcome surprise, however.
½ March 24, 2016
Great actoring, the dialogue was fine. Overall story did lack creativity though.
½ March 14, 2016
Resembling work of Shakespeare through its combination of love, tragedy and mystery, 'The Illusionist' is unexpectedly engrossing right until the very end where it finally reveals the trick which has been hiding up its sleeve. I guessed it but clever nevertheless.
½ January 31, 2016
Kerrankin elokuva joka pyörii hyvin tarinan ympärillä - eikä puitteissakaan ollut mitään vikaa: 1900-luvun alun Wien ja kaikki ihanat puvut! Edvard Norton ei ole mikään meikäläisen suosikki, mutta menetteli tässä. Jessica Biel taas oli aivan suloinen! Sinänsä harmi, että loppuratkaisu oli vähän turhan ennalta-arvattava, vaikka hetken menin itsekin hämyyn. Taikuudestahan tässä on kyse.

P.S. Kiva että Teemu Selänne oli saanut roolin kruununprinssinä :D
½ January 27, 2016
Edward Norton serves up some magic in a clever thriller with an interesting twist. (First and only viewing - 5/25/2015)
January 14, 2016
HUGE SPOILERS AHEAD

Ed Norton's awesome. Seriously. Go watch Fight Club, or American History X to see what I'm talking about. He puts in another good performance here.

When watching this movie I couldn't help but compare it to the Prestige. It's a lot less stylish than its magical rival, and a lot less believable; not just in the tricks on show but in the motivations of some characters.

In The Prestige, there is genuine desperation on show; both magicians are devoting their lives to discovering how each others' tricks are achieved. In this, Paul Giamatti's investigator is the one assigned to uncover Eisenheim's secrets, but you can't tell he reeally wants to know, and the fact that the magic tricks are more preposterous than those seen in The Prestige, makes you wonder if it's even worth investigating.

The aim of the illusion is to make us believe something that shouldn't necessarily be believed. This film is an illusion in itself, crafting a mystery that we're not entirely aware is there in the first place. We get swerved, big style. It's not a shocking swerve by any means, but is a testament to the film and its themes.

The film is by no means a complete success but for the majority of it, say two thirds, it is a compelling tale. Eisenheim discovers that great power comes with a target on your back. The Prince discovers that with great power comes the vulnerability of theft. What follows is a battle for Jessica Biel, and we see how each man exercises their power, and who one ups the other. Frankly, if it's a battle for Jessica Biel, I'll quite gladly join in. I don't have a power, but I can probably muster up a DDT or two...

HERE BEGINNETH THE SPOILER:

There is one thing I didn't quite understand though...to anyone who has seen it:

Biel's character isn't actually dead, but Eisenheim lets everyone believe she was murdered, forcing the Prince (the accused) to shoot himself. Bit too far? Did Norton's character really need to let it lead to a suicide? This part kinda confuses me but if it is how I see it, then Eisenheim and his motivations suddenly seem a lot more sadistic.
January 12, 2016
Solid acting by Norton and Giamatti and a well-crafted story.
December 23, 2015
Great twist ending compensated for the boring initial 90 minutes.
8/10