The Illusionist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Illusionist Reviews

September 2, 2017
It was fair. the ending you could see coming from a mile away, but Edward Norton delivered again
August 19, 2017
GREAT !!! This was a sleeper, been in my library for a while, never watched. Now... I think I will watch it again the second time for clues! I did not expect the surprises. All the performers, spot on !! Ed Norton, great job, Jessica.. Well you are beautiful in any time period!! Great show !! Watch this one !!
½ August 15, 2017
Shot in an unusual way at first but you soon get used to this way of story telling. It grabs you eventually and takes you to the bitter end which was a wonderful twist. A good watch.
½ August 1, 2017
Too much of a fairy tale to me and quite predictable. Thankfuly it didn't affect heartily consuming the movie.
June 1, 2017
A satisfactory story with enough mystery to entertain and a fantastic performance from Giamatti, The Illusionist is worth a watch.
May 12, 2017
Edward Norton, the gorgeous score and the 20's style of filming make this an interesting watch. Biel sucks.
½ April 29, 2017
A well made film about a magician played by Edward Norton. The story for me dipped in a few areas and it really had a hard time keeping me interested the whole way through. Even though the plot isn't anything we haven't seen before, and the special effects range from solid to awful, the fact remains that the film is just pretty good. I loved the villain in this film, and the two stars Norton and Biel had enough chemistry together to work. I didn't enjoy the ending as much as I though I would, but the rest of this movie is a good time
½ March 5, 2017
I loved this movie...entertaining all the way through....cast is great as well
March 1, 2017
simular to the prestige.. but all in all great movie
February 28, 2017
I was uncertain if I had already watched "The Illusionist" or "The Prestige" in the past. In the end it was "The Illusionist", and I can say that i remembered well enough and at the time it mesmerized me. Not much this time, but I don't know why. Not that I didn't like it, in fact I liked it well enough, but the first watch years ago left me with a complete different feeling. A small consideration for Paul Giamatti: in some scenes it seemed to me that I was watching an episode of Billions, just filmed with a younger version of Giamatti.
February 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ November 17, 2016
The warmth of this film is apparent not only the sepia toned imagery but also the nature of the themes relating to admiration and romance in light of suspense. The rich plot overall presents itself as a magic trick would that leaves the expectant audience in awe at the final revelation.
½ October 30, 2016
The story is pretty standard, but overall "The Illusionist" is entertaining, vividly crafted and bolstered by fine performances.
½ October 7, 2016
It is not as morbid and as far-fetched as The Prestige but the "realism" of it all is more believable which makes The Illusionist equally impressive.
½ September 25, 2016
Also released around the same time as The Prestige (2006), another movie about magic and illusions, let's just say The Prestige was better. This one had a talented cast but the storyline wasn't too amazing and the romance was cloying.
½ September 25, 2016
Despite it's exaggerated depictions of what magicians can actually achieve and a slightly forced plot, the end result is a fun fictional period piece with good characters and a cool twist ending.
August 21, 2016
Quite Good. That's a original, and intelligent romantic/fantasist movie. A little bit like The Prestige, but also a bit less Good. The Beginning story (Eisenheim and Sophia's childhood) looks like a nasty fary Tale. The only problem is that All the movie is a little like that.
August 20, 2016
Edward Norton is a great actor. He brought a great bizarre style of the human psyche in Fight Club, all the way to making me laugh, seeing him as a bagel in Sausage Party!
However, looking back on this film, he was a snooze fest! Even the rest of the actors looked like they were mailing in their performances, and after a while, I was getting impatient, wondering when this film will end! Some of the effects were interesting, but not enough to hold this feature up on its feet. If you want a way more fascinating movie in this area, then I strongly suggest you watch Christopher Nolan's The Prestige! This? Well, if you're a major Ed Norton fan, then maybe it's worth a look. If not, than choose the latter.
August 17, 2016
i will take this movie over The Prestige everyday!
August 8, 2016
Great acting and a very smart script!