Imagine: John Lennon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Imagine: John Lennon Reviews

January 27, 2014
So fucking good!! A must watch documentary for any Lennon and/or Beatles fan.
November 5, 2013
Very touching film Love John Lennon.
April 1, 2013
As a documentary about a man, Imagine is perfunctory, glossing over some issues; but as a time capsule, this film is riveting; immersing the viewer in the 60's and 70's ideologies.

Much of this film comes from the Lennono archives, and as such has a grainy quality, but that's to be expected - what makes this special is how director Andrew Solt mixes in audio from hundreds of hours of prior interviews with Lennon and keeps the narrative going forward, chronicling the life and times of music icon and political activist John Lennon.

The footage of Beatlemania, with remixes of classic tunes easily propels the first third of the film, but it is with the breakup of the Fab Four that the film turns more introspective and gives insight into John the person, rather than John the Beatle. Glossing over John's drug use and his reliance on Yoko to "take care of him", is a failing, and yet the film does a fine job of portraying the enigma and letting you decide for yourself if he was just a guy trying to do right and using his fame not to keep in the spotlight, but to actually make the world a better place. Personally I can have it both ways - fully aware of the irony of the closing video of John at his white piano in the drawing room of his 100 acre mansion crooning "imagine no possessions, I wonder if you can?"

Of course he is more sincere in his peace activism - writer of the anthems "Give Peace A Chance" and "All You Need Is Love" are heartfelt tomes to an age of self enlightenment, where he is saying that there is no reason to not be at peace, not only at the national level, but the personal one as well. I think that here is the soul of the man, trying to reach out to every other tortured soul and say "it's all right".

There is much footage here that is duplicated in the later Beatles Anthology, and if you've seen that more complete history, then this one leaves a bit to be desired - but since it focuses more on John's life, post Beatles, then this is a must see for everyone, not just music fans, as it truly sheds a light on the social and political mores of that mystical age of unrest and discovery that was the 60's.
December 22, 2012
Running on VH1 Classic...definitely worth watching!
December 20, 2012
Aunque no siempre maneja todos los aspectos de la vida de Lennon con desarrollo; el oir su historia a través de su voz, además de videos inéditos lo hace un documental muy interesante, y a la vez...muy sentimental.
½ November 19, 2012
I remember this being quite good.
September 24, 2012
One of the best rock documentaries ever made.
July 23, 2012
This movie has a great soundtrack, and always make me cry a little at the end. A great documentary that any Beatles/John Lennon fan should check out.
½ July 3, 2012
A wonderful, nostalgic personal look at one of the most influential people in the history of popular music. Using songs from The Beatles and his solo career, as well as home movies and archival footage, this movie shows you some of Lennon's more personal and public moments. Fascinating for any fan of The Beatles and/or John Lennon himself.
May 12, 2012
A great documentary about John Lennon, showcasing his career before, during, and after the Beatles up until his death in 1980. It is interesting to see so much of Lennon's personal life, much of the footage was shot when Lennon was still alive, and has a lot of narration from the man himself. I don't really know why he was shooting so much footage, but it is actually quite fascinating that he did, as it really gives us a in depth look into his life before he was shot.
½ February 17, 2012
My 4 year old's favorite movie.
September 3, 2011
Excellent jouranistic research into John Lennon's life.
July 25, 2011
South Park gave him the title, "King of the Hippies." A good friend my freshman year of college said he might literally be Christ reborn.

Wherever you land in there, he was an interesting and influential personality, and Imagine details much of that. But as a movie about John Lennon and The Beatles, it isn't as large and compelling as it could have and should have been.

I think one of the most important moments in the life of a John Lennon-sized star is to be candid when people need you to be but don't want you to be -- when the kid who worships you comes to your front lawn and says, "What did you mean when you said, 'You can radiate anything you are, you can penetrate anything you are?'" you have to be John Lennon and say, "It's a nonsense song," and, "I had a good shit this morning, and I'm singing about me and Yoko," and explain that it could relate to your life coincidentally but it doesn't reveal all the secrets to it.
½ July 9, 2011
yoko's version of John's life, I think, but it really isn't bad at all. lots of good music, and I love the way they chose to make John the narrarator, using quotes he said personally about himself to tell the story. appropriate since he was always so honest and candid about himself.
July 7, 2011
Very good rockumentary about arguably the most talented male songwriter/ vocalist of all time. This gives you an insight into his tragic personal life as a child all the way up to his death. Highly recommended if you are a fan or not.
June 11, 2011
John Lennon es la neta.punto.
June 5, 2011
This is less a biography and more an autobiography that traces John's sometimes-questionable assessment of his own life. The real treasure is the home footage of the "Imagine" sessions and some rare Beatles interview/performance clips.

The music, of course, is phenomenal.
May 28, 2011
Great doc about an amazing man and musician.
May 5, 2011