In Her Shoes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In Her Shoes Reviews

½ February 4, 2016
Both heart-wrenching and heart-warming.

An honest narration of transformation and redemption mottled in with a somewhat generic story of sibling rivalry. That said, I most certainly enjoyed watching In Her Shoes.
½ December 10, 2015
Sopivaa katseltavaa harmaan ja sateisen päivän piristykseksi... ^_^ (Suom. Lainakengissä)
August 26, 2015
I'm rather disappointed in the professional reviewers who panned the movie for being "schmaltzy" (the audience reviewers, not so much). If you don't like movies about relationships that are meant to be cathartic and bring out feelings of loneliness, grief, and an intense desire to catch up with your siblings... great. You're probably in the majority, actually. But professional reviewers are supposed to look past that, and answer the question: is this movie good at evoking the thoughts/feelings that it was trying to evoke? And the answer to that question, in this case, is a resounding, "Yes!"

It could have gone for "Love Story"-level schmaltz. But instead, it told a complex story with relateable characters and a wide variety of relationship things going on (the relationship between the sisters, between the older sister and her friend, between each sister and their grandmother, between each sister and their father, between the grandmother and her friends, between the younger sister and the blind professor, etc.) In the story, they all grew, as expected, but in an organic way. Even the camera work and the sets were deliberately thought out to evoke the necessary emotions. The loneliness and insecurities of the characters bled through the screen. I cried. A lot.

Which was the movie's goal, and it accomplished it very well, through good writing, well-written characters, and good direction.

A movie that evokes the thoughts and feelings that it wants to evoke, and does it well and deliberately, is a good movie, pretty much by definition. Now, whether what that movie is trying to accomplish is something you want to experience, is up to you... but whether that's the case or not, doesn't negate it being a good movie.
August 20, 2015
The premise is generic but the performances(in particular Collette)shines through.
July 21, 2015
Adapted from the novel the film has great characters especially sisters which is played by Cameron Diaz and Toni collete wherein only thing they have in common is the shoe size and how they find their love for each other. A movie to watch.
April 21, 2015
Ummm,..... This ain't a comedy., , ok perhaps 10 yrs ago this was considered funny., but this ain't funny. I stumbled across this, spotted Cameron Diaz & Toni Colette, thought,... Yeah let's watch something 'Lite', something I don't have to think about ,... But this ain't that. This movie is one of those, you-need-to-treat-people-better movies, you know the ones...., the ones that make you remember all those times you fought or judged people for being flawed & human. Oh yeah..., you know what I'm talking about.... this ain't a comedy.
April 3, 2015
Enjoyed much more rewatching it. Toni Collette and Cameron Diaz are great here. The theme is a little darker than your average chick flick. Perhaps the reason I initially rated it lower - not quite what I expected.
March 4, 2015
I really didnt like this movie.
½ December 13, 2014
this movie surprised me. I honestly turned it on thinking it would be good background noise for a nap. I was quickly drawn into the story, and loved it. I'm sure having sister's made the story even more relatable, but even without that, I thought the story was charming and very heart-warming.
November 20, 2014
'i carry your heart' by E.E. Cummings

i carry your heart with me (i carry it in
my heart) i am never without it (anywhere
i go you go, my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing, my darling)

i fear no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet) i want
no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)
October 29, 2014
Another great performance from Cameron Diaz. Good fun. Great film.
October 23, 2014
Definitely cried! amazing movie.
October 17, 2014
A tiresome drama which long outstays its welcome. It has some good moments, but there's too much schmaltz and predictability for my tastes.
September 27, 2014
I saw that movie 9 years ago
½ August 24, 2014
It's one of those films where the performances are what the first half setting things up to show the film's heart in the second that makes the film better to enjoy. Also in this particular film during its second half, the representation of the film's heart is found out in one of the characters you least expect to represent. The character I'm talking about is Diaz's.

Diaz performed really well throughout the film. Her character starts out as a greedy, alcoholic bachelorette and an uncontrollable younger sister of Collette's character during the first half. Then by the time her character improves herself, the film does as well. So therefore, Diaz's character represents the heart of the film.

The film goes through on the relationships of two sisters trying to get along and helping each other out, and a grandmother they never knew about. You can find a good heart from this to make this film enjoyably likable with the comedy part of its branded dramedy genre appears when it's good timing like cheering few spirits up. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
July 24, 2014
this was a really good movie,the bonding between the two sisters is believable and it has funny and dramatic moments all combined in a very subtle way.
Cameron Diaz....instead of doing idiotic flicks like Sex Tape,you should stick to more stuff like this.seriously.
June 22, 2014
Horrible first half great 2nd
½ June 8, 2014
I admit that I am not a big Curtis Hanson fan, because of films like this one. You're better off with "L.A. Confidential" or "Wonder Boys".
June 2, 2014
It's Cameron Diaz!? dahh.
½ May 11, 2014
starts off rough, but with a really good finish