Inside Llewyn Davis - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Inside Llewyn Davis Reviews

April 3, 2018
Oscar Issac is great in the leading-roll and the wide array of quirky characters featured throughout the film are excellent. Wonderful music (I'm not even really into folk music) and subtle humor make this thoughtful film worth a watch!
March 20, 2018
It's sad to see a few negative review about this film, I know that movies, like music are subjective. I've just watched this for a third time and it is without a doubt my favourite. I don't mean for this to sound patronising, but for anyone who has poorly rated this, I would urge you to re-watch as I believe you have missed some crucial elements within the story. Llewyn may come across as unlikable, but he is actually just a broken man, stuck in a rut, a cycle that he can't seem to break out of - this is something that I feel most people can relate to, even if you take the concept away from the music industry. I believe that the ending is delivered beautifully, in such a way that shows his realisation that he needs to sort his sh*t out. A sterling performance from Oscar Isaac, coupled with masterful cinematography and direction from the Coen brothers. Honestly a masterpiece!
March 14, 2018
The main character and all the supporting characters in this movie were unlikeable, self-centered, uncharismatic jerks. I kept hoping the Llewyn Davis would show something other than a pathetic and self-serving action of some kind, but there was no character development here - just a camera focused on an a-hole. The plotting and cinematography were also boring. The final five minutes sets up an interesting idea for a movie, but it was definitely NOT worth it. Awful.
½ March 7, 2018
Puntaje Original: 5.0

El CINISMO de los hermanos coen llega al punto de producir cualquier porquería y aún así recibir aclamación de la crítica.
½ February 5, 2018
I re-watched Inside Llewyn Davis recently, and I now believe that it's one of the Coens' best films to date along with No Country for Old Men and The Big Lebowski. It's a great film in terms of artistic interpretation. You know the period between the 2nd and the 3rd act where the protagonist tries to turn his life around after he reflects on his flaws? My interpretation for this film is that it extends that period throughout the entire film. The only difference between this movie and other films with this plot structure is that the protagonist is unable to change anything. There are numerous scenes which seem either random or don't make much sense, but actually compliment the film quite well once you think about them. In addition to this, I also liked the acting quite a bit, especially John Goodman.
January 30, 2018
Even though a lot happens in a single week to Llewyn I still found this to be too slow and laboured in the latter half. The best moments involve the cat. 1001 AFI
January 19, 2018
I can't figure out why this movie got made. Also it took me 80 minutes to realize any of the musicians in this were supposed to be talented instead of warmed-over Hollywood crap. Nothing about this movie is different or noticeably good.
½ January 13, 2018
i'm gonna change it, legally..

Inside Llewyn Davis

Ethan and Joel seems a bit distracted somewhere in the middle through a brief period of time but then comes back with more than anticipated and leaves you mesmerized in the end.
January 11, 2018
The best Coen brothers since Blood Simple and Barton Fink. I woud give it top stars. The Cat is the defining actor in the movie (along with Isaac, who is out of the world, I would have given him Best Actor Oscar(award)). I wish there are more classics like these from other filmmakers about the 60s music era, as it has shaped the musical world today. Its a tribute to movies on screen, to music through sound and acting to reality. True classic. I would fight those who would criticize such a film. Top Marks in every possible way.
½ January 8, 2018
Different, slow, smart, and all together nothing to complain about. Isaac kills. Updated to 4.5 after 3 viewings in last 4 years.
January 4, 2018
It sounds.... just right!
½ January 4, 2018
disappointed. Yes it was quirky and I could have enjoyed it more if Llewyn was not such a jerk.
½ January 3, 2018
Touching and bold. It requires tremendous courage of conviction to make a movie out of a topic so offbeat. LD is heartbreakingly (repeatedly) grim as it paints the life of a wannabe singer that nobody wants to listen to. There is some dark humour in his misery, primarily because of the weird characters that keep walking in and out in every sequence, with all having only one thing in common - utter disrespect for LD or his talents. Adorned with numerous soulful tunes, great actors/acting and appropriately melancholy backdrop (some truly haunting scenes), this is almost a perfect package - except for possibly the end that is right but unsatisfying (with absolutely no resolutions).
December 26, 2017
F

8.0

[Joel & Ethan Coen]
November 8, 2017
(4 out of 4) I remember the first time I watched this, I didn't know what to think of it. The title character, Llewyn Davis, is a jerk at times and that character can turn-off many people. I think I see where I went wrong in the past after a recent rewatch. I think it's important to realize the style and humor of a Coen Bros. movie, which (like many great artists) is distinctive and unlike what others are doing. You don't approach a Coen brothers film like you would a typical mainstream film that advertises itself as a drama/comedy mix. It's important to really get on their wavelength to better understand what they are doing. With that said, this may very well be a masterpiece. The performances, the cinematography, the design, and of course the music all come together seamlessly to form a work of art that somehow blends all of these elements together perfectly. The Coens' have a unique way of blending comedy with drama and that talent truly shines here. I still haven't seen all of their work, but of all i've seen from them, this is the most mature. This film centers in on the struggle to become successful and the world constantly not giving you any breaks. While it realizes that this experience of achieving success is unpleasant in many forms for some people, it embraces people who are on that journey and strive to become what they want to be. Not everyone that wants to be successful will achieve it, but the film is about that experience of putting your passions before your well-being. It's a honest truth that not many films delve into, plus it's not sympathetic and doesn't promise a happy ending, but It's honest, and completely engaging.

P.S. If you have an interest in checking out the works of the Coen brothers, I strongly recommend checking out some of their other work before this one. I think some of their more accessible films might help you have a better appreciation and understanding for this film once you have an idea of the Coen style. I recommend seeing The Big Lebowski or Fargo first. I feel one of those films are better introduction to the Coen's style.
November 7, 2017
Inside Llewyn Davis restores your faith in music and movies. Look into a week of passion and hardships with starving musician Llewyn Davis. Directors and writers Joel and Ethan Coen (Fargo, O' Brother Where Are Thou? and No Country for Old Men) capture the sights and sounds of the '60s folk music in Inside Llewyn Davis. The Coen brothers show the struggles of a fictional folk singer living in New York City. This is Llewyn Davis' story. The story begins in the bitterly cold winter of Greenwich Village, NY, where the audience experiences a piece of Davis' (Oscar Isaac) life in a week. Davis' former singing partner, Mike, had just recently committed suicide, so now Davis sings solo.

Here we see the highs and lows of Davis trying to get his name out in the world and - most of all - share his passion for music. Isaac delivers the title role with heart and shows us Davis' raw pain. However, Davis still does not have the best reputation. He mooches off of people's homes, loses a friend's cat and gets his best friend Jim's (Justin Timberlake) wife, Jean, pregnant. But Jean (Carey Mulligan) gives Davis hell for his actions. Mulligan's words are precise and they cut deep. Later, Davis hitches a ride with junkie jazz musician Ronald Turner (John Goodman) up to Chicago to audition at a big-time studio. Goodman is hilarious and will make you laugh every time he is on screen.

The groundbreaking cinematography and stellar soundtrack of folk music are captivating throughout the film. The Coen brothers matched the film with a soundtrack that really captures the '60s. The folk music is written with style and is executed superbly in the film. This soundtrack is pure pleasure. Once you have heard this music you won't want to let it go. The Coen brothers also show us the dark and provocative side of Davis throughout the film. By the end, you will feel Davis' raw pain for his music. In my opinion, this is by far the best film by the Coen brothers since Fargo and adds another installment to their canon. It's also one of my favorite films of the year. I give it the highest of highs, five out of five stars. Davis' story comes and goes, but his passion will stay with you forever. If you are a music or film lover I would advise you to go see this film at once.
October 22, 2017
(4.5 out of 6)
When we don't see something's coming to get hit down to only get right back up. When we don't see we are in the wrong journey to only stay down, as others had done when they see they don't have it. When we see we are not wanted to only be taken in like a stray cat. When we don't see what we done or headed to be shown what we don't see. When we see we can handle it by getting rid of it when we see we are not ready for large responsibility. When we see we are lucky to have people to rely on when we don't see something's coming to have a place to stay. When we see that we can't mess things up to only make doors open for us not close them. When we see we head in directions that others are headed when we are forever searching for places that wish to see us. When we need to make others see we are good for them to be told they don't see it when what people only see is money in what we are worth. When we see something's that look on the upside turn downside and other things we see are upside we don't see the downside when we just naturally don't see where we and others are headed to be headed the same direction. When we see life is a bitch and life abandons us to only takes us so far before we abandon others then ourselves in dark parts we don't see. When we don't see we are a struggling artist and performer to only be desperate to stay with those who mistaken us for good before they abandon us. When we see that we make decisions for ourselves and not think about others to only suffer such fate when it is brought to us. When we don't see having enough to keep going is the problem that we don't see something's coming when what we hate is what is coming. when we don't see the next up and coming to only see the vary thing to bring us down and keep us down when we are not relavant then most others.
October 15, 2017
I give this a 98/A+.
September 13, 2017
The Coen Brothers helm another musical piece ("O Brother Where Art Thou"), that uses the music as a backdrop to assess the American reality versus the American Dream. Their hero is honest to a fault, an ugly fault (and aware of that same, and proud of it) earnestly trying to live to a higher standard, failed by the people around him, and worst, failed by his own weaknesses. Remember those pictures by Margaret Keane of sad, big eyed waifs caught in eternal drift? This is the cinematic equivalent, and indeed, the spirit is touching.
½ August 22, 2017
This is in that category of movie: character studies of losers/douchebags/shitheels. It is not my favorite category but this is one of the better ones. I am increasing my rating from the 6.4 I gave it on first viewing. He's a dick but he gets punched in the head so it's okay. No but it's a very authentic portrait - I feel like I know him - plus it has some poignant elements I relate to personally. There is a lot to think about and I keep coming back to it. I don't want to hang around with the guy and I don't see rewatching it a ton - but it's a well done movie. 7.2 out of 10