Inside Llewyn Davis - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Inside Llewyn Davis Reviews

August 1, 2018
Another Coen brothers great film with some subtle humor and good storytelling.Oscar Issac makes a very good role of a folk musician,also Bruno Delbonnel cinematography was gorgeous
June 19, 2018
An well-written, if not almost intentionally dull, tale of a wandering musician at the crossroads of life where he has to choose between abandoning his youthful dream of being a musician or realizing who he is and settling for what he can actually achieve. Although it is only a week in his life, and the movie begins at his moment of final decision, the viewer is clearly walked through evidence that where he is in life has been coming a long time. Typical Coen brothers style, which is always great and better than most, unfortunately there is nothing really new for them.
May 16, 2018
Inside Llewyn Davis features beautiful, soothing music...and that's about it. The story really doesn't go anywhere, and yet I still stayed interested. I guess that's a credit to the acting and the filmmakers. This isn't one of my favorite films by the Coen brothers, but it's definitely not the worst one.
May 1, 2018
Slow and steady wins the race. Not for everyone, but you may be surprised that it's for you.
½ April 27, 2018
It's so funny, it's so smart, it's so profound, it's so bleak, it's a pure Coen Brothers' gem!

(9/10)
April 3, 2018
Oscar Issac is great in the leading-roll and the wide array of quirky characters featured throughout the film are excellent. Wonderful music (I'm not even really into folk music) and subtle humor make this thoughtful film worth a watch!
March 20, 2018
It's sad to see a few negative review about this film, I know that movies, like music are subjective. I've just watched this for a third time and it is without a doubt my favourite. I don't mean for this to sound patronising, but for anyone who has poorly rated this, I would urge you to re-watch as I believe you have missed some crucial elements within the story. Llewyn may come across as unlikable, but he is actually just a broken man, stuck in a rut, a cycle that he can't seem to break out of - this is something that I feel most people can relate to, even if you take the concept away from the music industry. I believe that the ending is delivered beautifully, in such a way that shows his realisation that he needs to sort his sh*t out. A sterling performance from Oscar Isaac, coupled with masterful cinematography and direction from the Coen brothers. Honestly a masterpiece!
March 14, 2018
The main character and all the supporting characters in this movie were unlikeable, self-centered, uncharismatic jerks. I kept hoping the Llewyn Davis would show something other than a pathetic and self-serving action of some kind, but there was no character development here - just a camera focused on an a-hole. The plotting and cinematography were also boring. The final five minutes sets up an interesting idea for a movie, but it was definitely NOT worth it. Awful.
½ March 7, 2018
Puntaje Original: 5.0

El CINISMO de los hermanos coen llega al punto de producir cualquier porquería y aún así recibir aclamación de la crítica.
½ February 5, 2018
I re-watched Inside Llewyn Davis recently, and I now believe that it's one of the Coens' best films to date along with No Country for Old Men and The Big Lebowski. It's a great film in terms of artistic interpretation. You know the period between the 2nd and the 3rd act where the protagonist tries to turn his life around after he reflects on his flaws? My interpretation for this film is that it extends that period throughout the entire film. The only difference between this movie and other films with this plot structure is that the protagonist is unable to change anything. There are numerous scenes which seem either random or don't make much sense, but actually compliment the film quite well once you think about them. In addition to this, I also liked the acting quite a bit, especially John Goodman.
January 30, 2018
Even though a lot happens in a single week to Llewyn I still found this to be too slow and laboured in the latter half. The best moments involve the cat. 1001 AFI
January 19, 2018
I can't figure out why this movie got made. Also it took me 80 minutes to realize any of the musicians in this were supposed to be talented instead of warmed-over Hollywood crap. Nothing about this movie is different or noticeably good.
½ January 13, 2018
i'm gonna change it, legally..

Inside Llewyn Davis

Ethan and Joel seems a bit distracted somewhere in the middle through a brief period of time but then comes back with more than anticipated and leaves you mesmerized in the end.
January 11, 2018
The best Coen brothers since Blood Simple and Barton Fink. I woud give it top stars. The Cat is the defining actor in the movie (along with Isaac, who is out of the world, I would have given him Best Actor Oscar(award)). I wish there are more classics like these from other filmmakers about the 60s music era, as it has shaped the musical world today. Its a tribute to movies on screen, to music through sound and acting to reality. True classic. I would fight those who would criticize such a film. Top Marks in every possible way.
½ January 8, 2018
Different, slow, smart, and all together nothing to complain about. Isaac kills. Updated to 4.5 after 3 viewings in last 4 years.
January 4, 2018
It sounds.... just right!
½ January 4, 2018
disappointed. Yes it was quirky and I could have enjoyed it more if Llewyn was not such a jerk.
½ January 3, 2018
Touching and bold. It requires tremendous courage of conviction to make a movie out of a topic so offbeat. LD is heartbreakingly (repeatedly) grim as it paints the life of a wannabe singer that nobody wants to listen to. There is some dark humour in his misery, primarily because of the weird characters that keep walking in and out in every sequence, with all having only one thing in common - utter disrespect for LD or his talents. Adorned with numerous soulful tunes, great actors/acting and appropriately melancholy backdrop (some truly haunting scenes), this is almost a perfect package - except for possibly the end that is right but unsatisfying (with absolutely no resolutions).
December 26, 2017
F

8.0

[Joel & Ethan Coen]
November 8, 2017
(4 out of 4) I remember the first time I watched this, I didn't know what to think of it. The title character, Llewyn Davis, is a jerk at times and that character can turn-off many people. I think I see where I went wrong in the past after a recent rewatch. I think it's important to realize the style and humor of a Coen Bros. movie, which (like many great artists) is distinctive and unlike what others are doing. You don't approach a Coen brothers film like you would a typical mainstream film that advertises itself as a drama/comedy mix. It's important to really get on their wavelength to better understand what they are doing. With that said, this may very well be a masterpiece. The performances, the cinematography, the design, and of course the music all come together seamlessly to form a work of art that somehow blends all of these elements together perfectly. The Coens' have a unique way of blending comedy with drama and that talent truly shines here. I still haven't seen all of their work, but of all i've seen from them, this is the most mature. This film centers in on the struggle to become successful and the world constantly not giving you any breaks. While it realizes that this experience of achieving success is unpleasant in many forms for some people, it embraces people who are on that journey and strive to become what they want to be. Not everyone that wants to be successful will achieve it, but the film is about that experience of putting your passions before your well-being. It's a honest truth that not many films delve into, plus it's not sympathetic and doesn't promise a happy ending, but It's honest, and completely engaging.

P.S. If you have an interest in checking out the works of the Coen brothers, I strongly recommend checking out some of their other work before this one. I think some of their more accessible films might help you have a better appreciation and understanding for this film once you have an idea of the Coen style. I recommend seeing The Big Lebowski or Fargo first. I feel one of those films are better introduction to the Coen's style.