Insidious: Chapter 3 Reviews

• Oct 10, 2019

This film is very good. It gives us an amazing performance from Lin Shaye, and doesn't spend an extreme amount of time going into the backstory of demons, that the second one did so terrible. Grade: A-

• Jul 31, 2019

this movie fucking sucks

this movie fucking sucks

• Jun 22, 2019

Wow this movie really surprised me. It is really good and amazing, also it creeped me out. For that reason I'm giving Insidious chapter 3 a B-

• May 26, 2019

Sobrenatural segue a fórmula dos incontáveis filmes de terror da atualidade, o que inclui cenas de jump scare e o espírito maligno clássico. Seus "pontos fortes" são alguns momentos engraçados que ajudam a quebrar um pouco o ambiente pesado do filme e os personagens carismáticos e divertidos.

• Apr 22, 2019

Insidious: Chapter 3 (2015): 4 out of 10: Insidious returns to the well for a third outing after a decent first showing and a considerably improved sequel. Can this ghost nonsense held up by an excellent performance by Patrick Willson make it without Patrick Wilson? No, but don't blame the actors even Patrick Wilson would be hard pressed to save this one. Insidious: Chapter 3 is a prequel taking place a few years before the Lambert hauntings that were the focus of the first two movies. Psychic Elise Rainier (Lin Shaye) is retired and living in a hoarder home when a perky teenage girl Stefanie Scott comes by with one last job. She wants someone to reach out to her dead mother. Lin Shaye does a half-hearted seance, and it turns out Lin has a stalker (The big bad from the first two films). Unable to help the Stefanie Scott she recommends some other psychics that could help and shuffles her out the door. Various shenanigans happen, and the Stefanie Scott's father (Dermot Mulroney) pleads with Elsie to come to the aid of his daughter. And we all know what that means â" a seance. The Good: The best part of the Insidious: Chapter 3 is the performances. Two, in particular, stand out. Dermot Mulroney is outstanding in the otherwise thankless role as the concerned father and grieving widower. He brings a subtle gravitas to what could have easily been a thankless role. He had the opportunity to be this films Patrick Wilson, but honestly, the script doesn't give him enough to do. Stefanie Scott as the daughter seeking help is a real find. I haven't seen her in anything before that I can recall (According to IMDb I saw her in Small Town Crime. I honestly can't remember seeing Small Time Crime let alone Stefanie Scott.) She is so good in the role you fully expect the filmmakers to take advantage of this fact; as you will see below, that is not the case. Oh, one last thing, when Lin Shaye is in the netherworld/ haunted house, she has this really cool lantern with a bent metal frame. I looked to see if I could buy one but had no luck finding it. Insidious: Chapter 3 is leaving some money on the table with its lack of product tie ins. The Bad: Prequels to fictional works have the same issue that most movies based on well know history does. We often know who is going to die and definitely know who isn't. There is one scene during a later seance where more than half the characters in the scene had appeared in the first two films. As a result, we can tell that the demon isn't going to kill them or tear an arm off or something. Hard to have tension when we know how it ends up for the majority of the cast. Another problem with prequels is that filmmakers seem to be unable to resist the urge of telling the origin of everything that worked in the earlier films. ( See the Star Wars prequels or even Solo: A Star Wars Story for a treasure trove of examples). Want to know how Lin Shaye hooked up with her comic relief internet ghostbusters (no not really) don't worry the movie is going to tell you. The problem with this is this kind of fan service takes away from the actual story of Insidious: Chapter 3. We spend so much time with Lin Shay defeating the demon from the first two films triumphantly (Complete with distinct applaud pauses for the audience.) that we don't have any clear idea of what is going on with the new characters in this actual story. Which brings us to the biggest problem with Insidious: Chapter 3, why exactly was Stefanie Scott being haunted? Did we ever establish this in any way? For that matter why did she seek out Lin Shaye? Yes, she missed her mom and wanted to talk to her but that is such a thin premise, and she seems otherwise such a smart and well put together girl you keep waiting for some other motivation to drop. It never does. Not that Lin Shaye helps her anyway. Almost none of her encounters in the other realm have anything to do with the dead mother task at hand. The Ugly: I know I am picking on this film a lot here but you know for a psychic warrior Lin Shaye is pretty dim and easily fooled. She is contstantly walking backwards, not looking behind her, assuming friendly looking ghosts in Hell are friendly, forgetting that demons can take the form of loved ones. Good lord, I would expect this from some neophyte, but the entire point of her character is that she knows what she is doing. Also, that jump scare at the end of the film is the worst jump scare I have ever seen in any movie ever. I stand by this comment. In Conclusion: I thought I was going to miss Patrick Wilson, but I didn't. Dermot Mulroney and Stefanie Scott gave fantastic performances. What I missed was everything else. Insidious: Chapter 3 looks cheap and tells a muddled story full of fan service but little else. Instead of creating a new legend it concentrated in celebrating an old one and was weaker for it.

• Mar 28, 2019

Not very scary and takes to much effort off of the audience to try to make a functional story line.

• Mar 12, 2019

by far the scariest of all four films really feels under appreciated. the visual effects are stunning and they get straight to the point of it's story and doesn't feel as if they over stay there welcome.

• Jan 29, 2019

one of the most scariest films of all time

one of the most scariest films of all time

• Jan 10, 2019

Got pretty creeped out by this one, very good start, very boring end, itâ(TM)s like you see it coming, where is the taste of uniqueness and excitement, the ending is just very sad, not even scary, but storyline is actually not that bad.

• Jan 08, 2019

Stefanie Scott makes this prequel better than any other. Jumpscares are on point and it is actually scary. By far the best Insidious movie.