Interiors - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Interiors Reviews

½ November 20, 2016
Pungent and richly-textured, Woody's delicate character writing is a wonder to behold.
November 10, 2016
Woody Allen's directed this critically acclaimed film about an upper class couple's breakup and how their three daughters deal with it. This was Allen's first serious dramatic movie.
November 7, 2016
4 Stars. Probably Allens most problematic filmmaking wise IMO but the acting he got out of his actresses in this is just incredible. Geraldine Page broke my heart with just her looks and glances. I can't believe this was Kristin Griffiths only larger film. She was absolutely incredible in this. The now earlier Woody I watch the more I kind of understand people's dislike for his newer films. I don't think he's lost his pinache but he's kind of lost his vision of trying things and seeing if they work and being 100% vulnerable at the same time.
½ August 6, 2016
The story of a very dysfunctional family and what happens when the parents divorce. Eve (Geraldine Page) and Arthur (EG Marshall) are a 60-something couple, recently separated. They have three adult daughters - Renata (Diane Keaton), Joey (Mary Beth Hurt) and Flyn (Kristin Griffith). Renata is a poet and is married to Frederick (Richard Jordan). Joey is (reluctantly) in advertising and is married to Mike (Sam Waterston). Joey is a film and TV actress. Eve is an incredibly negative woman and this has had a toxic effect on her children. This results in stifling, unsupportive relationships and joyless lives.

Woody Allen at his most introspective and negative. A very well made film, with Allen demonstrating his prowess behind the camera to full effect. Some great camera angles, fixed angle shots and lingering shots. Great performances too from all concerned.

However, for the first 90% of the movie there is hardly a cheerful moment (this is clearly not one of the "funny ones"). Negativity is piled upon negativity. This is largely led by the mother, Eve, who is one of the most irritating, depressing characters in all of cinema. Equally depressing is how this has rubbed off on her children.

The pain of watching the first 90% does pay off in the end, as the final few scenes tie the movie together and provide the closure and relief. The contrast is stark, like a release valve being opened, and make the movie worth watching.

It is really a matter of gritting your teeth and getting through the first 90%...
July 20, 2016
First serious drama film by Allen and it's pretty good.
½ June 8, 2016
Woody Allen proves to be also gifted on the drama genre in this powerful story highly influenced by Ingmar Bergman' work and superbly acted by its distinguished cast.
½ January 8, 2016
Woody's first drama and it's not too bad.
October 19, 2015
Lightweight and hard to get sucked into, Woody Allen's serious dramas improved with the likes of "September" and "Match Point."
September 19, 2015
I'm well versed in Bergman but I didn't really get into this one. One of Allen's only serious dramas, (not counting crime thrillers) it tells the aftermath of three grown daughters when their parents split up in old age. There's some good dialogue here and there, and smidgens of angst, but ultimately its not as memorable as his other work.
½ July 7, 2015
Woody Allen's first outright drama is quite impressive, even if it is a little depressing.
½ June 26, 2015
Designed as the antithesis of his comedies, Allen's first melodrama certainly succeeds in the sense that it's not very fun to watch. It's unflinchingly miserable, but not in "white people problems" sense that later Allen films would be: it's relatable. In short, it's not fun, but you could write a book on how it's brilliant.
½ June 16, 2015
A very good film that's worth adding to your collection...
½ May 10, 2015
At times it is hard to tell if Woody Allen is spoofing Ingmar Bergman or paying tribute. In the end it does not really matter. Geraldine Chaplin has never been better. Her performance is perfectly brittle, comedic and tragic all at once. Diane Keaton and Mary Beth Hurt give solid support. And as one would anticipate, Gordon Willis beautifully captures every move and every scene.
½ February 23, 2015
Woody Allen's first foray into serious drama is inspired by his favorite director, Swedish legend Ingmar Bergman. Quiet and subdued with natural lighting and minimal music this is a living room drama where operatic emotions contained within modern manners.
There's a certain beauty to the stillness and restraint shown in this movie. We see the ocean at their beach house only with large tempestuous waves crashing at a pristine, beige beach. However, all these privileged artists can be a strain to watch as they writhe around in their joylessness. I'm used to Woody's tortured artists with their lithium abuse, but it's easier to bear when humor is involved. The warmth in this comes from Maureen Stapleton as their father's new lover. She upsets them all at first, but she lives life with such gusto and kindness that she wins them over. This is a sharp contrast to their icy, grey mother who flies off the handle at every turn, and is a burden to behold.
What little joy exists in this movie cannot overwhelm the downer of a family paralyzed by intellectualism & fear of death. Interiors is very well-made movie, but very hard to enjoy watching.
December 30, 2014
I tried, I really did. A little past 45 minutes, I couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't take spending anymore time with these insufferable, pretentious WASPs any longer. This could be the most pretentious movie ever made. Woody Allen must've just felt so empowered after winning the Oscar for Annie Hall, he suddenly felt smarter than the audience that made him successful in the first place. The result is this. A floundering, ego trip. Even when the acting shines, you don't allow yourself to enjoy it. The only positive thing I have to say is the opening scene, and some of the shots, replicating Ingmar Bergman. Nothing wrong with that, but I wished a better movie was attached to those shots.
December 25, 2014
Allen's most serious film up to this point was the year's previous "Annie Hall," which wasn't nearly as dramatic as this. Veering headfirst into the realm of Chekhovian drama, Allen tells the story of three repressed sisters who are all dealing with their parents' separation in different ways. Each has their own burden to bear: one is young and impressionable, another is pretentious about her own work and it's affecting her marriage, and another is stuck between caring for a mother she despises and pleasing a father who frequently lets them all down. Time moves at a quick, fluid pace, much like a Chekhov's work; which was the direct inspiration for this film. There's also only diegetic music, and often Allen uses long takes of silent scenes of nature, especially waves crashing against the beach. Though this film is assured and crafted carefully, it doesn't engage in the same way as Allen's other works. It's such an astringent film, that there's little room for humor or joy. Every character feels so repressed that it's almost unrealistic. Their severity of character hampers the film by trying too hard, and not being completely realistic.
December 25, 2014
Woody Allen once stated that Ingmar Bergman was "probably the greatest film artist, all things considered, since the invention of the motion picture camera." However, "paying tribute" to Bergman is one thing and "trying" to be Bergman is another. Allen was adamant on getting into Bergman's shoes that I think he lost sense of who he is while shooting this film. That doesn't take away from the aesthetic quality of the film, but I didn't really like how most of the characters were self-explanatory all the time, spoon-feeding us the reasons why they behave the way they do.
December 7, 2014
This blew me away. My second favorite Allen movie besides Manhattan. It's a heavy drama though-not a comedy.