Interiors - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Interiors Reviews

July 20, 2016
First serious drama film by Allen and it's pretty good.
½ June 8, 2016
Woody Allen proves to be also gifted on the drama genre in this powerful story highly influenced by Ingmar Bergman' work and superbly acted by its distinguished cast.
½ January 8, 2016
Woody's first drama and it's not too bad.
October 19, 2015
Lightweight and hard to get sucked into, Woody Allen's serious dramas improved with the likes of "September" and "Match Point."
September 19, 2015
I'm well versed in Bergman but I didn't really get into this one. One of Allen's only serious dramas, (not counting crime thrillers) it tells the aftermath of three grown daughters when their parents split up in old age. There's some good dialogue here and there, and smidgens of angst, but ultimately its not as memorable as his other work.
½ July 7, 2015
Woody Allen's first outright drama is quite impressive, even if it is a little depressing.
½ June 26, 2015
Designed as the antithesis of his comedies, Allen's first melodrama certainly succeeds in the sense that it's not very fun to watch. It's unflinchingly miserable, but not in "white people problems" sense that later Allen films would be: it's relatable. In short, it's not fun, but you could write a book on how it's brilliant.
½ June 16, 2015
A very good film that's worth adding to your collection...
½ May 10, 2015
At times it is hard to tell if Woody Allen is spoofing Ingmar Bergman or paying tribute. In the end it does not really matter. Geraldine Chaplin has never been better. Her performance is perfectly brittle, comedic and tragic all at once. Diane Keaton and Mary Beth Hurt give solid support. And as one would anticipate, Gordon Willis beautifully captures every move and every scene.
½ February 23, 2015
Woody Allen's first foray into serious drama is inspired by his favorite director, Swedish legend Ingmar Bergman. Quiet and subdued with natural lighting and minimal music this is a living room drama where operatic emotions contained within modern manners.
There's a certain beauty to the stillness and restraint shown in this movie. We see the ocean at their beach house only with large tempestuous waves crashing at a pristine, beige beach. However, all these privileged artists can be a strain to watch as they writhe around in their joylessness. I'm used to Woody's tortured artists with their lithium abuse, but it's easier to bear when humor is involved. The warmth in this comes from Maureen Stapleton as their father's new lover. She upsets them all at first, but she lives life with such gusto and kindness that she wins them over. This is a sharp contrast to their icy, grey mother who flies off the handle at every turn, and is a burden to behold.
What little joy exists in this movie cannot overwhelm the downer of a family paralyzed by intellectualism & fear of death. Interiors is very well-made movie, but very hard to enjoy watching.
December 30, 2014
I tried, I really did. A little past 45 minutes, I couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't take spending anymore time with these insufferable, pretentious WASPs any longer. This could be the most pretentious movie ever made. Woody Allen must've just felt so empowered after winning the Oscar for Annie Hall, he suddenly felt smarter than the audience that made him successful in the first place. The result is this. A floundering, ego trip. Even when the acting shines, you don't allow yourself to enjoy it. The only positive thing I have to say is the opening scene, and some of the shots, replicating Ingmar Bergman. Nothing wrong with that, but I wished a better movie was attached to those shots.
December 25, 2014
Allen's most serious film up to this point was the year's previous "Annie Hall," which wasn't nearly as dramatic as this. Veering headfirst into the realm of Chekhovian drama, Allen tells the story of three repressed sisters who are all dealing with their parents' separation in different ways. Each has their own burden to bear: one is young and impressionable, another is pretentious about her own work and it's affecting her marriage, and another is stuck between caring for a mother she despises and pleasing a father who frequently lets them all down. Time moves at a quick, fluid pace, much like a Chekhov's work; which was the direct inspiration for this film. There's also only diegetic music, and often Allen uses long takes of silent scenes of nature, especially waves crashing against the beach. Though this film is assured and crafted carefully, it doesn't engage in the same way as Allen's other works. It's such an astringent film, that there's little room for humor or joy. Every character feels so repressed that it's almost unrealistic. Their severity of character hampers the film by trying too hard, and not being completely realistic.
December 25, 2014
Woody Allen once stated that Ingmar Bergman was "probably the greatest film artist, all things considered, since the invention of the motion picture camera." However, "paying tribute" to Bergman is one thing and "trying" to be Bergman is another. Allen was adamant on getting into Bergman's shoes that I think he lost sense of who he is while shooting this film. That doesn't take away from the aesthetic quality of the film, but I didn't really like how most of the characters were self-explanatory all the time, spoon-feeding us the reasons why they behave the way they do.
December 7, 2014
This blew me away. My second favorite Allen movie besides Manhattan. It's a heavy drama though-not a comedy.
November 30, 2014
woody's first dramatic pic slow but totally ingaging
November 14, 2014
Review:
This is quite a deep and emotional drama which is about an dysfunctional family who are trying to deal with a heavy divorce. The 3 girls are finding it difficult to deal with there parents splitting up and they are also going through there own personal problems in there own relationships. There mother seems to take the "Out of the blue" divorce, extremely hard, but she's convinced that she will get back with the husband until he announces that he has found another woman. It's quite a heavy drama with some emotional scenes, but the acting was brilliant by all of the cast who made the movie very believable. It does seem a bit one toned and every character is depressed through most of the movie, so you do have to be in the right frame of mind to watch it. Watchable!

Round-Up:
This really doesn't feel like a Woody Allen movie. In most of the movies that he has written, you can see a bit of his personality in the script, but this film really doesn't have any of his persona. There isn't any wit or any of his quirky lines all the way through the movie so it feels like there is someone else behind the camera. The really young Diane Keaton, impressed me with her deep performance, which reminded me lot of her amazing contribution to the Godfather franchise. Anyway, I personally found it a watchable movie which will touch many hearts, especially those who also have family issues.

Budget: $10million
Domestic Gross: $10.4million

I recommend this movie to people who are into there Woody Allen movies about a dysfunctional family, with 3 girls who are trying to hold it together during the break up of there parents. 6/10
½ October 26, 2014
was enjoying myself watching how miserable this family was till about half or three quarter way.
nothing against the bleakness but didn't think it was a powerful enough nor truly well done drama about effed up families.
October 21, 2014
Interiors is a realistic and relevant look at a troubling family with career, depression and parenting troubles all explored rather well expectedly leading to a heartbreaking ending, but the direction from Allen is surprisingly not great and it may be too depressing and sad. But it largely succeeds thanks in large part to strong characters, greatly explored issues and a number of phenomenal performances.