Interview with the Assassin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Interview with the Assassin Reviews

August 30, 2015
I would give it three stars but the ending real didn't work
Loved the production values
And raymond Barry was awesome
½ September 16, 2014
Do not read too much into Burger's mockumentary; it's just having a lark, poking fun at conspiracy theorists, taking the piss out of the dozens of docs out there that present themselves as The Real Story About the Killing of John Kennedy. It never quite finds a way out of its own built-in dead-end.
November 23, 2013
So I thought was a real documentary and thought it was so insane. It was pretty crazy. Turns out, not real lol. I feel silly. I knew it was too crazy to be true. Still decent. But I feel silly.
½ November 22, 2013
This is a really good movie kept me in suspense & extremely disturbing to watch. The way they shoot the film through the eyes of the interviewer makes it seem like the confession is to you. The danger that surpresses after the confession just leaves wondering if there is still people alive that really know what happened.
May 27, 2012
Very well done flick! Just kept getting better and better. One I will for sure go back and re-watch.
September 25, 2011
raymond j. barry is right on as the confessed 2nd gunman on the grassy knoll. I'm really looking forward to seeing him in his own play, "Awake In A World That Encourages Sleep" opening in Jan. at the Electric Lodge
½ August 7, 2011
Interesting fictional twist on the assassination of JFK.
½ April 8, 2011
The Blair Witch version of JFK. It's a little crazy, but not entirely effective because the concept goes from convincing to implausible.
April 10, 2010
Interesting set of circumstances
½ September 6, 2009
Well-written, for the most part, until the end with the trip to Washington.
September 3, 2009
For me, "Interview with the Assassin" falls into that small category of movies that will probably inspire young filmmakers to shoot their own movies. "Sherman's March," "Tape," "The Gleaners and I," maybe a dozen others -- these aren't just indie films, these are individuals' films. These aren't low budget, but no-budget films, based completely on creative ideas and creative camera work.
Almost immediately as the film starts, Walter tells the interviewer that he was the one who killed Kennedy. Like the movie?s narrator, we want to write Walter off as a conspiracy nut when we first meet him. Walter is a cranky, middle-age tough guy who lives down the street in a dimly lit house where the blinds are always closed. Walter?s paranoia is infectious. We are intrigued by his knowledge of the details of the events, and his seeming need to unburden himself.
Suspense is built through all the things we don?t see. Someone was at the door just before we got home. Someone was following us, but we just missed getting their face on camera. ?Assassin? creates tension from simple everyday artifacts, dialogue, and a sometimes very shaky handheld camera.
½ August 10, 2009
Nice handy-cam view which added to the documentary style of the movie. Voted good for being differentâ?¦
½ April 8, 2009
I really didn't understand what the intentions of the filmmakers were in Interview with the Assassin. It was not convincing or substantive as a piece of fiction or even as a documentary. It doesn't even manage to sustain the audience's suspension of disbelief that it may actually be an actual account like the Blair Witch Project did so well. Although the concept is instantly grabbing and I wanted to like this film, I just got to the end of it saying "so what?"
½ January 15, 2009
Excellent movie, good acting and totally believable from beginning to end. This seems like it may have really happened, but the government had them make this documentary so the information is out there, but told them to say it is a fake documentary. That is for all the conspiracy theorists out there.
January 10, 2009
Blair Witch Project meets JFK. Burger uses low-tech, low-budget to his advantage in a movie thats really more about paranoia than a JFK conspiracy. The movie is played straight, with never a hint that it might not be a real documentary. We see everything through the eyes of Ron (played by Dylan Haggerty) an out-of-work camerman who falls into the story of a lifetime. Ron see-saws from belief to doubt, and back again just as I did while watching the movie. The casting is perfect. No one seems to be acting. Kate Williamson is especially convincing as Walters ex-wife. While I enjoyed the movie as is, Id love to see this movie remade with a bigger budget.
September 28, 2008
A brilliant debut picture for up-and-comer Neil Burger ('The Illusionist,' another great flick). If you're intrigued by anything 'Kennedy Assassination,' then you'd be into this. Any amateur filmmaker would to break onto the scene with something like 'Assassin.' It have one of those 'my heart just jumped into my throat with anticipation & suspense moments' that not many flicks can pull off. Loved all of it.
½ July 9, 2008
JFK conspiracy fans will like this one. The acting in this movie was superb. I liked that it was in the same fashion as the Blair Witch Project with the hand held camera but it wasn't necessarily a running around type of film. The tension is builds up to a great climax. The subtle tricks to make the movie look more realistic were really neat too.
alanjayh
June 6, 2008
loved the concept....effective camera work and superior acting by Barry..this makes the film all the more believable and is a chilling variation on the JFK conspiracy
March 13, 2008
A faux-documentary in the tradition of "Blair Witch" only this time it deals with the assassination of JFK. The lead performance by Barry is mesmerizing and unnerving... he is so authentic in his role that the film becomes chillingly close to reality. However, the film itself plods along with no real focus or aim, with only intermitten scenes of suspense. Recommended if only to see Barry's performance.
½ January 27, 2008
RATING (0 to ****): ***

What did Neil Burger do before the magical celebration of cinema known as "The Illusionist"? Well, he did the completely different and perfectly-indie film "Interview with the Assassin", concerning an unemployed cameraman taking a job from an old man claiming to be the person who really shot JFK.

Okay, so I'll continue to say that bad forensics led to all those conspiracy theories, but during the film this "assassin" manages to convince us that he isn't completely nuts and might actually be telling the truth- showing us some evidence in the locations themselves. But, of course, it's always a bad idea to buy a person like this a gun, as the cameraman does. It's also an even worse idea to buy it for him under [i]your[/i] name (as the cameraman does).

Being that all of this is from the point-of-view of our protagonist's cameras, it's inevitable that we have some queasy moments, but being that his character is meant to be a professional we have plenty of steady moments and some fun scenes with a spy camera (as a side-note, this film might make you watch your mouth next time you're in front of someone with dorky-looking glasses). The best sequence, however, is shortly after the purchase of the guns, when the assassin and his army buddy shoot some cans. In a moment that's both scary and funny, our cameraman is shot at for no good reason.

Also, since it's about a JFK conspiracy, this story inevitably has a conspiracy of its own going on, with twists and turns along the way. "Interview with the Assassin" is good, intriguing fun.

MPAA: R (language)
Runtime: 1 hour, 23 minutes (80 minutes of "real movie")