Into the Woods - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Into the Woods Reviews

February 18, 2017
12/17/2016: A full blown musical. If there was only "some" singing it could have been decent.
½ February 7, 2017
Liked the first half of the movie and how the stories were woven together. Second half of movie, Extremely long and terrible.
January 26, 2017
this is an amazing film!! i love it so much!
½ January 21, 2017
Good until the third act, then it falls apart...weirdly
January 20, 2017
loved this. excellent spin on fairy tale
½ January 18, 2017
This movie's biggest crime is letting James Corden portray himself in yet another project. TV or film... History Boys to Gavin & Stacey to this. Same character. Very annoying. Even narrating. I would have liked a scene where he and little red riding hood hacked each other to death. All the songs blend into one as they are so samey. Luckily the rest of the amazing cast & the fact the movie use some of the original fairy tale facts... Make this almost bearable. Not worth a rewatch though.
½ January 16, 2017
Meryl and Emily gave birth to this movie
January 5, 2017
Good movie overall and interesting twist on 3 old fairytales of Cinderalla, Red riding hood, Jack in the Beanstalk, and how they made them all work together in this story
January 2, 2017
This was quite the peculiar film! Not what I was expecting, and definitely not as engrossing as one would expect, what with all the star studded actors involved. The fact that this has come and gone relatively unnoticed perhaps gives an indication as to its success. I would compare it to Sweeney Todd; not just because it stars Johnny Depp, but because it's full of fictional tales that are told by way of song. It's actually very clever the way it incorporates the stories of several well known children's favourites: Cinderella, Rapunzel, Little Red Riding Hood, and Jack and the Beanstalk. However, the musical element is just a complete flop to me. It was not so much songs, than just people speaking lines in a musical fashion. There were no memorable tunes and it's all very repetitive and uncatchy. It even makes interpreting the words just that little bit more tricky. Of course it's all acted very well and each of the cast has been selected due to their successes in previous operatic like films, but despite the very family orientated concept, this just doesn't work for me. The 2nd half of the movie also drags on a bit as it tries to adapt the fairy tales into having a much darker take on morality, where several of the individuals die in a short space of time. It's unnecessary and sort of ruins the clever adaptations portrayed in the first half. I expect this movie to split the audience vote right down the middle, but given the celebrities involved, one would expect the cost of creating this did not reap the rewards it wanted. Definitely one to judge for yourself, but not one to be repeated by me :(
January 1, 2017
Into The Woods has a good story, likeable cast, and alot of fun, energy and passion infused. Its too bad the final act wasnt anything I said before.
December 28, 2016
In the climax, Into the Woods ends up being way too dark for its own good. Fortunately, a talented cast, catchy songs and faithfulness to the Broadway musical of the same name help make it a reasonably entertaining watch that's funny and even occasionally charming.
½ December 25, 2016
Good movie, not really my thing
½ December 22, 2016
A really weird disney film, a little too much music even for a musical, but still good.
December 16, 2016
I found myself wanting even more music. Sondheim's lyrics are impeccable, and, if the story is sometimes thin, the gorgeous staging makes up for it.
December 15, 2016
Underrated. The reviews don't make sense to me because this movie -even in its musical form- was dark. But if it is too dark that is only because the film conveys emotions that are true. Great individual performances all around, particularly Blunt and Streep.
½ December 6, 2016
Disney's version is not the best way to see it
½ December 6, 2016
Into The Woods was a great movie adaptation of the Broadway musical. The characters were cast really well, with surprisingly good voices. Going along with the Broadway musical, they managed to successfully intertwine multiple fairy tales into one story.
November 27, 2016
Great movie! I was impressed.
½ November 27, 2016
As a nice musical with a quite fricking impressive cast powering it, "Into The Woods" mixed the stories of "Jack & The Beanstalk", "Cindrella", "Rapunzel" and "Red Riding Hood" and one original of a Baker and his wife (James Corden & Emily Blunt) who try to break a witch's (Meryl Streep) curse, into a one massive story. All the actors are splendid, Emily Blunt being the cream of the crop and the two child actors playing Red Riding Hood and Jack are phenomenal. Shame the third act of the story gets more real than magical and thus the magical mojo is broken. But overall it was very enjoyable and Johnny Depp's cameo was quite awesome.
November 27, 2016
"Into The Woods" was recommended to me through a friend who is a fellow musical theater lover. Like them, I loved it as well. The story centers around The Baker (James Corden, in a surprising role, I'm just used to him hosting "The Late Late Show"!) and The Baker's Wife (Emily Blount) and their desire to have a child. The Witch (Meryl Streep) put a curse on their house several years ago, preventing any inhabitants of the house from having children. To lift the curse, she needs certain ingredients from other fairy tale characters (a cow from "Jack And The Beanstock", a golden slipper from Cinderella, Red Riding Hood's cape, and yellow hair from Rapunzel). So the question is, does the Witch keep her promise?

I loved this movie and how all of the stories were woven together. People have said that there was a lot of singing in the movie, but that's what an operetta is. Before I go on in the review, let me just clear up the difference between a musical and an operetta, as some people use these terms interchangeably. A musical is a story that has a combination of songs and spoken dialogue. An operetta has mostly singing in it, with very little, if any, spoken dialogue. Since "Into The Woods" had very little spoken dialogue, it is therefore an operetta. Therefore, if you don't love musical theater or operettas, turn back now.

That being said, the story itself does get intricate. I would suggest familiarizing yourself with the original stories first before seeing "Into The Woods". Definitely get your hands on original copies, if you can. These stories fall more in line with the original Brothers Grimm fairy tales than any other version I have seen. For the "Little Red Riding Hood" story, I would suggest reading the Brothers Grimm version as well as "Lon Po Po", the Chinese version, as both are different than what we're used to hearing, and there will be allusions to both versions. For Cinderella, just read the original tale all the way through.

The acting was excellent in "Into The Woods". I was surprised that Johnny Depp didn't have a larger part, but other than that, the biggest surprise to me was James Corden, taking on a role that I didn't see him taking on. I can't say too much more about the movie without giving it away, but I loved the kids in the movie as well and the few scenes that they did together. All in all, an excellent movie, albeit a bit dark.