Into the Woods - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Into the Woods Reviews

½ July 23, 2016
Terrible ! Did fall in a coma about 7 times ...and not finished this singing crap ...what a stupid idea to put different fairytales in one movie ! And STREEP stop singing !
July 9, 2016
Great songs...but oh...such a loooog movie!
½ July 7, 2016
Was able to suffer through most of it ok and then the last 20 minutes happened. WTF was that?
July 5, 2016
This was far more than I expected! Meryl Streep absolutely rocked! I loved just about every moment of this film. Well worth seeing.
½ July 3, 2016
I thought the movie was absolutely awful. The singing and 'musical' part was okay, but whoever wrote and directed this movie must of hated fairy tales. It is definitely not a family movie, people die in gruesome ways and it just makes me sick how they ruined fairy tales for my kids. Do not watch this movie with young kids unless you have prepared them for the worst.
½ June 30, 2016
Cinderella's Prince (Chris Pine): I was raised to be charming, not sincere.

First: I still don't understand why Hollywood insists on casting Meryl Streep in roles where she has to sing. I mean, yes the woman can act, but I'm pretty sure there's a bevy of middle-aged Hollywood women who can sing circles around Streep and have decent acting chops too. But enough soap-boxing...
The cast was an interesting choice. Hits: Emily Blunt (the Baker's wife)- I love everything she does. Surprising hit:James Corden (the Baker)- who knew, he was absolutely brilliant and stole the show. He and Blunt had great chemistry. Hit: Christine Baranski (Cinderlla's evil Stepmother)...duh of course; Lilla Crawford (LIttle Red Riding Hood), beautiful voice; Tracy Ulman (Jack's Mother) brilliant! Surprising miss: Chris Pine (Cinderella's Prince Charming)- didn't dig him and Anna Kendrick (Cinderella), great voice but "meh" stage presence. Miss But I love him anyway: Johnny Depp (the Big Bad Wolf). Overall, the story was kind of cool with all the intertwining characters, some of the songs were kind of catchy and profound. It was interesting enough- in a car-accident sort of way; but a little less entertaining that I had hoped for.
June 30, 2016
A satisfyingly, beautifully and strangely twisted and written, this wonderful musical film surely lacks heart but what remain is a great entertainment empowered with grand cast performance.
June 28, 2016
I enjoyed the songs and the actors. The first half of the story is really good, but it loses steam in the second half.
½ June 27, 2016
I tried with this, I really did...being one of the few who actually really like the modern Sweeney Todd, I thought I could handle this. I was wrong. I love the cast but the direction was all wrong, and the songs didn't accomplish anything close to cohesive. The second Johnny Depp came onscreen, I turned it off.
June 24, 2016
Having top actors and actresses on such a poor film is a real shock. A real waste of time and money. It doesn't even have a good musical value!
June 20, 2016
Wonderful adaptation of the stage musical, even if it's not as good as its source.
June 19, 2016
This was ok. Musicals are always kind of hit or miss with me. This one is right in the middle. To be honest it was how long the movie was that made this not a four star movie four me. At just over two hours...it was a bit much. The cast are extremely talented though, and their vocals were all spot on.
June 13, 2016
Meryl Streep is a Boss! You're welcome...
June 11, 2016
A very fun, enjoyable film with great music and great actors. Also enjoyed it's second half with the darker messages
June 10, 2016
A musical that's as magical as it is overstuffed.
June 9, 2016
I LOVED EVERY SINGLE MOMENT OF THIS. My favorite musical made into a splendid film. Disappointing they had to take out some songs, but this wonderful cast did a splendid job. The set is beautifully portrayed.
½ June 3, 2016
one word sums it up: MUSICAL
May 30, 2016
Confusing, bloated, uncompelling mess
May 28, 2016
I watched this movie not knowing it was a musical. And I hate hate hate musicals. I would forgive the constant annoying singing had the movie made a lick of sense. It's like, let's slap a whole bunch of random fairy tales that don't belong together in the same movie and hope their stories align. This is not a kids movie. It's basically a play (it really is a play) that's filmed a movie. So if you like plays, singing, artsy-fartsy movies, you'll probably enjoy this. I wanted to shoot myself the second the singing started.
½ May 27, 2016
Well done film. I guess I just hate the story.