Into the Woods - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Into the Woods Reviews

July 21, 2017
Into the woods is a great movie as it proves that when done right, a musical can still capture your hearts in the modern day.
A true return to movies like: Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, this film really shocked me with the story, acting and Shrek esq feel. I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed it and will reccomend it to anyone. The songs are so catchy (especialy the title song) and performed so well by all the actors. And lets be honest, you cannot really go wrong when Meryl Streep is involved. For me I was pleasantly surprised at the story. It was not what I was expecting and I think that's the main reason why I enjoyed it so much.
My only 2 issues are that the film could have been a bit shorter. It does feel too long. And that there is not really any indepth character development. But hey, not every film is perfect. In Short I had a lot of fun and feel it's definetley worth a watch.
July 12, 2017
I had no idea what Into the Woods was about, but I went anyway because it was a musical and I LOVE musicals. When I left the theater, I found myself whistling and singing the songs over and over. The musical was romantic, happy, funny, and beautifully put together. This movie deserved more praise than it received and the intertwining of the stories only made the movie more captivating and more interesting for the audience in my opinion.
July 9, 2017
Hated it one of the worst movies I have ever seen and it should be erased from movie history
½ July 7, 2017
This movie drinks pretty bad. Only half of the cast can sing, none of these songs are good, the story's cluttered to heck, it was just an all around unpleasant time.
½ July 4, 2017
An enjoyable film that relies too heavily on making it feel like a Hollywood-ified version of a broadway musical than making it a natural-flowing movie. It also includes questionable performances (specifically from the younger cast members) and sometimes cheesy effects.
½ July 1, 2017
Wow I don't mind musicals but that was a crappy ending and all around crappy movie
½ July 1, 2017
A musical that mashes together many of your favorite fairy tale characters into a storyline that essentially revolves around the baker and his wife being cursed to have no children and their attempt to break that curse. Lots of name recognition stars, with varying degrees of singing abilities, comprise the cast. It is overlong and dawdles in several scenes. On the whole, the concept works and any movie which has the good sense to cast Anna Kendrick will get my attention. I enjoyed it, but not overmuch.
½ June 29, 2017
If I could give this zero stars, I would. - LindSane (Two people)
June 25, 2017
¿Qué pasa cuando Cenicienta, Caperucita Roja, Rapunzel y Jack y sus Frijoles se juntan en una sola historia? Excelente musical de Broadway =) Good luck at the Oscars!
½ June 24, 2017
Usually I have not problem with live action fairy tale movies but this one stinks. This one has multiple fairy tales in one movie and then they mix together toward the end. Ridiculous!!!
June 19, 2017
My guess is the audience had no clue about the original story before seeing the film, in which case I am sure the cynical but more realistic take on the fairy tale may have simply made them sad, which is too bad, because the acting, humor, and singing in my opinion all enhanced the original musical.
June 17, 2017
6/10 An attempt to intertwine different known fairytales with guest characters and a musical, it actually fails to keep the audience engaged. Notable as an effort though.
June 17, 2017
Immersive, great actors, wonderful music. Loved.
June 12, 2017
I wasn't crazy about this one at all. James Corden saved it for me, but I was very surprised at how weak it was otherwise.
½ June 9, 2017
'Into The Woods' is a capable film with a talented cast, but feels wandering and lost on screen instead of the focus of the stage.
June 8, 2017
This film adaptation of the beloved musical perfectly gives us everything we were asking for. From the beautiful visuals, amazing talent, and few cuts of original material, the movie brilliantly tells the story. In the staged version, we sometimes miss out on some important things, but by the exact settings made so well by the artistic directors, we are able to envision everything and get a clear picture of this wonderful tale. Emily Blunt and James Corden shine in the leading roles, showing chemistry perfectly, and leaving us with tears in our eyes in their rendition of "No One is Alone." The film would also not be complete without the surprisingly amazing vocals from Chris Pine, Anna Kendrick, and most importantly, Meryl Streep. Streep does an excellent job, and as apprehensive as I was at first, the casting directors nailed this one. The two children roles, Little Red played by Lilla Crawford and Jack played by Daniel Huttlestone, also add to the wonderful talent, and are so good that you sometimes forget that they are both much younger than the rest. Lastly, I must mention how pleasantly surprised I am by the very short performance of Johnny Depp as the Wolf. His haunting performance left me wanting more, and in this case, it sucks that the bad guy died! His rendition of "Hello Little Girl" is chilling and the perfect amount of creepy this movie needs. All in all, excellent acting, excellent visuals, and although it may have lacked some things from the stage version, it still tells a beautiful story, and is a success in my mind. I'll definitely be back for seconds!
½ May 31, 2017
the best movie to watch if you're having sleeping trouble! first 5 minutes you will fall asleep! I wished I could give less than half of the star!
½ May 29, 2017
Into The Woods feels like a headache that refuses to end. It did NOT translate well from stage. Extremely unwatchable.
½ May 21, 2017
Worst movie I have ever seen
May 10, 2017
I love so many actors in the movie. Mery Streep is amazing and Chris Pine is hilarious but his character is so bad. Other than that, the songs are so amazing.