Iron Eagle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Iron Eagle Reviews

½ July 3, 2016
Oh boy... almost ashamed to say it, but I still really like this movie. I LOVED it as a kid (I was 8 years old in 86'). Gave it a watch again and it is still great! Yes, it's got the cheezy 80s' feel, but that's part of what i like about it. actual F-16 footage is probably some the best "real" footage I've seen in a movie.. no computer graphics or fake filming here. Only the one MIG explosion they use a few times looks "Hollywood".

If you like 80's movies adn music, fighter jets or the armed forces and can watch it for what it is.. it's a fun time with some great jet footage.
½ May 4, 2016
A teenager's dad is kidnapped by terrorists and only he and his dad's air force buddy can save dear old dad in this Topgun ripoff.
November 4, 2015
IRON EAGLE actually starts out promising. You might even be willing to forgive its ludicrousness, but it gradually morphs into a meaningless series of fireballs and clichéd dialog. It seems perfectly content to dish out cheap thrills to violence-obsessed boys, and do nothing more. It's also too long and at times borders on the laughable. The film still has a certain charm, but unless your night is slower than molasses, you'll want to skip it.
August 13, 2015
Guilty pleasure, love this movie! Better version of Top Gun.
August 10, 2015
kinda a 'top gun' knock-off but i still liked it
April 15, 2015
Worth watching for the flight sequences but little else.
February 18, 2015
Teenager saves his father from captivity in this Topgun for teens.
February 10, 2015
This Top Gun wannabe is nowhere near as good or memorable as it thinks it is. The premise is laughably bad as well.
November 27, 2014
Great movie. Needs to be added to Vudu or flixster. All other movies are there why not the first one. Same as short circuit they have short circuit 2 but not one what type of sense!
½ August 11, 2014
A fun bit of 80's cheesy action that is watchable despite a ridiculous plot.
½ May 8, 2014
Released in the same year as 'Top Gun' and virtually a fantastic unauthorised sequel! nah not really. This really is your typical 80's kiddie fare much like 'Space Camp' 'Flight of the Navigator' or 'Karate Kid'. A pop tune filled collection of montages which take you from one action sequence to another. You could almost include 'The A-Team' and 'Rocky' in here as influences also.

To use another example if you will, this could almost be 'The Goonies in the Air Force'. A young teens father (who is a fighter pilot) gets trapped behind enemy lines after being shot down. He is up for a darn good hanging so its up to the plucky cocky good looking young teen to fly in there and bail his own dad outta jail.

Sounds ridiculous? well it is, Louis Gossett Jr tags along and assists the young boy as he himself is a grizzled old fighter pilot. With the help of more plucky young kiddies Gossett and Gedrick plan how to fly into a fictional Arab country and nab his dad. They do this with lots of very daft tacky action plans involving the kids stealing highly delicate info, ammo supplies, maps and even two jet fighters into the bargain. The young Gedrick and his friends can do all this quite easily it seems just because they all live on the Air Force base (their folks are in the Air Force of course).

As I said before they do all this with constant musical montages! When we do see some dog fights its as expected, pretty terrible looking and with some rather obvious models being blown up...badly, clearly plastic and cardboard.

Kids version of 'Top Gun' and completely family friendly apart from the odd curse word hehe. Can't believe this actually made it to the cinema in the same year as that Tony Scott film, what a difference! its more of a TV movie really. Best thing here is probably the soundtrack and the rather cool poster.
½ April 16, 2014
When an Air Force pilot is shot down in a hostile Middle Eastern country, the man's son enlists the help of a retired pilot to rescue him.
It's all rather far-fetched and the finale is rather ridiculous, but it's a good slice of 1980's cheese, complete with a soundtrack of songs, some good and some absolutely terrible. You could say the same thing about the performances too.
Always viewed as Top Gun's little brother, I think both movies are as good (or bad) as each other. At least this one doesn't take itself too seriously.
February 7, 2014
Iron Eagle was another attempt at a "Teenagers vs. Terrorists" kind of film, but it was a failure. It was decent until the pats that should nab been good came, and they were far from good , they were crap parts so ergo the film was one large crap sequence with poor editing and sub par storytelling . But still, they cast some good actors, and Jason Gedrick and Lou Gossett Jr. made a decent team. Still, it was ultimately flawed
January 14, 2014
even with cheesy effects, manages to pull of a more enjoyable and action packed performance than top gun
September 20, 2013
An exciting teen adventure action film. I really enjoyed it. Sure it's more like a youthful fantasy than something that would happen in reality, but that's what I thought was fun about it. I loved the ending too. Others may see this as cheesy, but I say see it anyway.
½ June 28, 2013
First off were this movie excels is the Ariel combat scenes. No models here you see real F-16s and Mig-23s. The acting is a bit sub par but it's a teen movie and that's a bit stereotypical of the style. While this movie works to have its emotional times it doesn't drag down the movie with pointless melodrama like other war movies like Top gun and Perl harbor. the movie is just fun, a group of Air force brats band together to save the father of one of their own.
½ June 16, 2013
I guess I always figured these movies must be decent since they made four of them, but you could raid a cheese factory and not find as much cheese. This thing comes off as a cheap rip off to Top Gun. Everything is worse.

The lead character is a douchebag. He might look tough in the poster, but he's really a whiny brat. He has a hot girlfriend, but their relationship gets about as much screen time as it takes to show a hug. Seriously, there is zero romance between them.

Gossett Jr. is in there to sound cool I guess. He does his cliched angry man thing he does so well, and it's kind of unclear how these two even pull off the mission in the end. I mean, a bunch of kids fool the Government? Ummm...okay.

The plane footage is okay. But the editing makes it look cheap. Clearly any planes that get blown up are models...that is obvious, but I liked how they would basically show someone hit the FIRE button and the other planes would just explode. No filler shots of the bomb shooting at the other planes. In fact, on the few times they do show a missile launch, they just fall straight down. Really?

I will say that the cast is a lot of famous faces from the 80s, they are mostly just wasted. You got Larry B. Scott from the Nerds movies, Tom Fridley from Friday The 13th 6, Robbie Rist from Brady Bunch, Tim Tomerson, Shawnee Smith, and the little brother was Melvin from Tremors!!!

There is just nothing special here at all, especially since it came out the same year as the great TOP GUN. It's far too cheesy...it can be entertaining, but nothing serious.
March 20, 2013
A movie that I loved as a kid and still love as an adult. It holds a very special place in my heart.
February 5, 2013
Back when I was in elementary school there was little more than movies like this that could really promise me a great time. Now that I'm an adult I know much better.
December 7, 2012
Would have to find and watch immediatly!