J. Edgar - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

J. Edgar Reviews

½ June 18, 2018
Someone let Clint Eastwood near a camera again. I know he buys a lot of the rights to these stories he wants to tell, but I don't know how someone takes a story and life full of potential and create this mess of a film. Leonardo DiCaprio is one of the finest young actors we have, and while his performances can tend to run together, he had an opportunity to shine even more in a role like this similarly to how he did as Howard Hughes in "The Aviator." The difference between "The Aviator" and "J. Edgar" is sitting behind the camera in this one. Clint Eastwood, who has the biggest track record of empty, overrated directorial presentations, just blows it all to Hell in this one. The directing is weak, bringing out the blandest performances with its horrid storytelling. The movie shortchanges the viewer during what appear to be pivotal scenes, yet drags out the ones we knew were coming. Pretty standard stuff from "Bronco Billy." The actors and viewers deserved better. I hope the awful reviews send him a message. I'm glad I only spent $1.25, although I deserve some change.
May 28, 2018
"J. Edgar," is such a masterful film by the legendary Clint Eastwood. It's one of those films that really entice you as an audience, and makes you realize that you are in the powers of a REALLY incredible and fearless director. Leonardo DiCaprio gives without a doubt one of his ALL TIME greatest performances in this film. He's absolutely believable as the famous F.B.I director, who reigned fiercely for 50 years, longer than ANY other director in the history of the F.B.I. A lot of rumors and speculations have occurred or been heard throughout the years of this man, but no other reigns supreme other than the fact he was possibly a gay man. Armie Hammer is equally effective in this, as J. Edgar Hoover's right hand man, Clyde Tolson. Loyal till the very end, these two men had lunch and dinner together every single day, and Armie Hammer plays it beautifully and with such realness, you can't take your eyes off the screen, because of the chemistry of these two great actors. Were J. Edgar Hoover and Clyde Tolson partners? Will never know for sure, Clint Eastwood along with writer Dustin Lance Black handled it beautifully, leaving up to the audience speculation on whether these two men were in fact lovers, or just simply had strong feelings for each other as close colleagues. But it's the going back and forth between them as young men in their early days, to old men in their later days that really makes this a spectacle for the ages. The make up is the key in this movie! It's what sells the entire movie, because it just looks SO damn real! It really makes you wonder if Leo and Armie Hammer will look like that when they get older, it's that well done! It's definitely a ground-breaker in cinema as far as make up goes. But, it's Clint Eastwood's unique direction and story telling that really is the force behind this film. The man is know for his one take only as a director, and you can tell in certain scenes and the way the movie flows that Clint Eastwood really is at the helm of this wonderful spectacle. But, we can't leave out the writer, Dustin Lance Black, who won an Oscar for his screenplay in Gus Van Zant's "Milk." As the writing is done with such passion and love, it's really something to witness. I encourage all Leo and Eastwood fans to get out there and see this wonderful spectacle of a film, because it really is a spectacle. And what makes it even much more so, is the fact that underneath all this drama taking place in the movie, it's a story about love between two men, who deeply cared for one another. And that's something worth watching...
½ April 22, 2018
Directing the tempo well time back and forth is brilliant and I do not get tired of long screening time. The goodness of the connection sense seems to be this director's movie, and he seems to be interested in freedom and independence of his country, but there is little surprise as a picture.
½ April 4, 2018
"J. Edgar" is just good enough, featuring amazing performances from Leonardo Dicaprio and Armie Hammer, but it's worth noting that it's makeup is unconvincing, it's way too darkly filmed and the screenplay just barely hits its marks well enough to effectively tell the story of J. Edgar Hoover.
November 1, 2017
Not for all tastes, but diehard fans of Clint Eastwood's directorial efforts should find this one satisfying enough.
October 17, 2017
If the goal of the movie was to depict a multi-faceted individual, it certainly succeeded in doing that. In the end, however, the plot and character development was too schizoid to really sympathize with the character. The makeup, especially with Clyde was distracting and unbelievable.
September 21, 2017
This was bad?
For my kids agree
½ July 8, 2017
O Filme mais tedioso que eu já assisti na minha vida.
June 20, 2017
Um drama biográfico adaptado por Dustin Lance Black que vacilou com uma narrativa sinuosa, mas a direção de Clint Eastwood manteve a locomotiva nos trilhos e explorou bem todo o talento do menino de ouro Leonardo DiCaprio, Armie Hammer como coadjuvante foi fundamental para torna J. Edgar um filme marcante.
May 31, 2017
A winding narrative that largely succeeds in entertaining and in bringing one of America's most controversial figures to the fore. Maybe not the Oscar-bait that it hoped to be, but a commendable and watchable effort none-the-less.
½ May 7, 2017
One of the worst movies I have ever seen...
April 12, 2017
DiCaprio eats up the scenery, but can barely be seen thanks to terrible lighting throughout the film. It does a good job at telling Hoover's story well and is especially captivating near the end, despite some rough makeup.
½ March 26, 2017
Clint Eastwood's films are extremely historically accurate. The academy and critics love his work and especially the way he manages to get the best out of his leading roles. That being said, his films also tend to be extremely long and very dry, J. Edgar was no different. J. Edgar Hoover was the man who started the FBI. He is the man solely responsible for creating a fingerprint database, cataloging and investigating forensic evidence at crime scenes, and he was also completely paranoid and spied on just about everyone he could. It was sad to see just how lonely, narrow minded, and repressed this man was his whole life. He was so narrowly focused his entire life, that he didn't seem to ever enjoy anything besides his work. As for the film, Leonardo DiCaprio gives another stunning performance, one that rivals all his other work. People who worked with Hoover, in his later years, say that DiCaprio was so good that it was like seeing Hoover himself back in charge. When he was first starting out, people thought DiCaprio was just another pretty face, who would do films like the Beach his entire career, but they couldn't be more wrong. He has emerged as one of the best leading men in all of Hollywood and J. Edgar is a prime example of this. You can't have a DiCaprio greatest hits compilation without including this performance, it really was that good. I learned a lot from this film and the performances were truly fantastic in every sense of the word. How DiCaprio's performance didn't get nominated for an Academy Awards is beyond me and does lend some credence to the theory that the Academy is bias towards him. As for the rest of the film, it's long, very long and parts of it just don't move at all. You'll learn a lot and from a historic stand point, I think this is one of those film everyone should see, but at times it's not easy to sit through. Don't expect much in the way of action, comic relief, or deviation. It's just a lot of vintage Eastwood, DiCaprio, and criminal justice history.
½ February 12, 2017
3 1/2 out of 5

Clint Eastwood in the directory chair, Dicaprio taking lead as Hoover delivering a solid biopic with controversial subjects.
½ February 6, 2017
Interesante, pero hubiera sido mejor tratar las consecuencias de las acciones de este personaje.
½ January 14, 2017
J. Edgar was a somewhat confusing narrative, although it was well acted. The story content is almost boring in a sense when I really think about it, there are tons of dull parts. This is the kind of film I can appreciate, but would not watch again.
December 12, 2016
I was passively watching this while working, but I can't say I understood much of it anyways. Also the makeup was absolutely terrible.
November 27, 2016
The film was rubbish & very slow & no action
November 23, 2016
Boring, dull, stupid, and no good, J. Edgar was a pretty terrible movie from the legend Clint Eastwood.