Jackie Reviews

• Jun 28, 2020

Wonderful. Natalie Portman is fantastic for portraying Jacqueline Kennedy. This feature film is amazing and I like how the cinematography style reflects the story in 1963.

• Jun 10, 2020

I finally saw this movie in 2020. I was amazed at Natalie Portman's performance and the rest of the cast is outstanding. The story was told out of order but the director weaved all the threads together and it was easy to follow. I was too young to understand what happened to Jackie when this tragedy happened and found the movie fascinating and learned more about the aftermath from a different perspective. It had a very emotional core and I felt what it might have been like for her.

• Jun 05, 2020

One of the most shocking stories of the American presidency analyzed from a whole new angle. Natalie Portman succeeds through careful research and a masterful interpretation to express all those aspects of Jackie O' that were unknown to the masses

• May 31, 2020

This was a really well made movie. I liked the slow build to the moment of violence with small peeks inside, creating a sense of mournful dread. There's solid preformances, but I felt it needed to tug at my heartstrings, because I felt sympathy but not an emotional attachment or longing. 8/10.

• May 10, 2020

An intriguing portrayal of one of the most infamous incidents in the history of the USA seen through an unique perspective. Natalie Portman's superb lead performance and an excellent production design make this movie worth watching.

• May 09, 2020

Natalie Portman gives a good performance here, although sometimes it does feel unnatural. I think the movie is overall a good look at how she handled the JFK assassination, although it would have been nice to have a larger scope to the story.

• Apr 02, 2020

I say this movie is amazing we get to see what happened on those days following the assassination of John F. Kennedy. A time when everything felt like it was gone it shows Jackie and how she deals with the loss of her husband how she arranged the funeral all of the things she went through I say Natalie Portman did an amazing job playing her she had the looks and everything. I love how she gets into the act and her face expressions are just out of this world it felt like she was actually Jackie well maybe not Jackie but was like she was there if that makes sense we get to see the side of Jackie when sadness and stress has taken over we dont see that Jackie we see a whole different Jackie probably she was still traumatized after all she saw her husband be murdered his head open his blood all over her it was a scary moment for her that nobody could ever forget. The movie to me was just amazing we could see how this icon went through this sometimes when I look at pictures of Jackie I feel like the assassination never happened Natalie made this icon seem human with human feelings some people just look at Jackie and assume she was always happy. Love it and I recommend it if you like the history of Jackie and john or just like assassination of president's.

• Feb 05, 2020

According to actor Frank Langella Jackie Kennedy was "The only woman I ever met for whom money was an aphrodisiac." This film keeps true to this statement as the Kennedy presented in the film is more enamored of objects and appearances than the reality of her life and the people she is meant to love. Like Kennedy herself we see everything in a very cool manner as she refuses to give in to her emotions and romanticizes a past that never really existed for her or for her family. Even though she cries and is horrified by the event she revels in the publicity that it brings her and uses the moment to luxuriate in fame and sympathy. I like the angle that the film takes on Kennedy but I found the film itself to be uninvolving and had issues with Natalie Portman's highly acclaimed performance as the titular character. In 1963, the First Lady of the United States Jacqueline "Jackie" Kennedy, Natalie Portman, has her husband, President John F. Kennedy, die in front of her eyes when he is shot while sitting next to her in their car. She is devastated by this event and recalls how idyllic the past few years had been as she views their family as being similar to the characters in the stage musical "Camelot" in which regular men were able to change the world. She prepares for her husband's funeral and deliberates between having a public funeral and a private funeral. She is supported by her husband's brother Robert F. Kennedy, Peter Sarsgaard, but comes into conflict with him when he tries to limit her power and does not understand her desire to make the funeral such a big event. She decides that life must go on and resolves to have her husband's legacy remembered by all. One of the focuses of the film is Kennedy's desire to receive public recognition without being entirely aware of how much she needs it. Early on we hear her tell her husband that she loves crowds but she refers to herself in relation to her husband and will laugh off questions about her personal life. Yet we see the fact that she glows when she has people cheering for her and can see large groups in front of her who have gathered purely to see her and her husband. When she is away from these adoring fans she loses some of her light and feels that she lacks purpose in life without having people she can please with just her clothing and fake smiles. Even when she discusses wanting to preserve the legacy of her husband and the lifestyle that existed when he was alive she is really thinking of herself as she will also be connected to that legacy. Her beauty and iconography in all of her pretty dresses is what people will remember her for and that is what she wants as they do not see behind the carefully constructed façade she has built up but see her as the polished beauty that she wants to be. This was an interesting idea to delve into but the fact that Kennedy is so singularly focused on being fake makes it difficult for us to understand and emotionally connect to her. I think that this is deliberate on the part of the film as she should be impenetrable and hard for us to figure out for much of the film but it still makes it a frustrating experience. Perhaps on a repeat viewing I would enjoy the film more for just how cold it is and how much it commits to being about her frostier side but watching it now I was impressed but not moved. The other element of the film that was of interest to me was Kennedy's odd relationship with Robert as they are unusually close but removed from one another at the same time. Sarsgaard disappears into his role and as he plays a man who in many ways tries to dominate Kennedy he seems uncomfortable in his skin and shaken. Both of them are people who have lived most of their lives in public but where he largely retreats she steps forward and Sarsgaard gets the posture of someone who is afraid of losing power over smaller people like Kennedy. My biggest problem with the film, beyond how I could not connect to Kennedy, was the performance of Portman who is a bit of a luvvie in this film and does not disappear into her role in the way that Sarsgaard does. She adds some nice touches like having Kennedy's breathy voice only appear in public and having her deliver that pained smile during her television special appearance on her decoration of the White House. What I didn't like was that I always felt that I was watching Portman act and impersonate Kennedy without getting a sense of the woman herself divorced from the performer. This lets down the film as I never fully believed I was seeing Kennedy and so all of the events the film depicts also felt fake.

• Jan 19, 2020

I mean, the story is interesting, but I found this really boring. Sorry :(

I mean, the story is interesting, but I found this really boring. Sorry :(

• Jan 06, 2020

amazing, shows the true heartbreaking story of poor Jaqueline & how she experienced the pain. Truly something to remember for the centuries.